IMDb > The Tourist (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Tourist

The Tourist More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 39: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Spoilers GALORE!! But read this, and see this film TWICE !!

Author: M2b from new york city
27 January 2011

Spoilers Galore!!! Please don't read this if you haven't seen it.....twice. No, go ahead and read this. And if you haven't seen this badly misunderstood film once, go ahead and read this anyway.

This film needs to be saved. If every professional reviewer had seen this film TWICE, not once, I think it would have been announced with very favorable reviews, and better box office. In a sense, this film is an argument for the asymetrcial non-linear final cutting that Quentin Tarantino is most famous for. If only the audience knew what the characters knew or didn't know at the time, they would see a different film. Think there's little or no chemistry between Jolie and Depp? Watch the film the second time, and whammo, there it is. Did you think the artificial non-tobacco cigarette was a distracting triffle, silly to the film? Not when you know the truth revealed in the ending of the movie. Think the Depp character was too nerdy to attract the gorgeous Jolie's attention? EXACTLY !! And it worked!

Spoilers SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS But read this ANYWAY!!

The never seen genius had to concoct a scheme to get the money, get the girl, kill the gangsters, and appease the police. In order to do this, the unseen genius had to re-invent himself as the ultimate nerd, so convincing, he would convince EVERYONE that he was the new image, and not the genius below. Everyone including the girl had to buy what he was selling. He wanted to be with Jolie to spend the enormous ill gotten gains with her, so he would find the meaning in life he wanted. The meaning that the character saw evaded the rich gangster, and the inflated ego driven Interpol agent after him. And once you've seen the film once, on the second time, then and only then will you see the genius at work. Because the genius not only sold himself as a nerd to the killers, the police and the girl, he sold the audience too. So everyone is wondering how can we believe the nerd can win a Jolie? And when will he get killed, being in so over his head? Watch carefully the second time, and you'll see every subtle move that Depp invents to push along his plot, and convince the others he's a nerd. The genius throws in just enough to reel in Jolie to his love, while still selling himself to everyone, including Jolie's character, that he's a nerd.

Have you wondered why Jolie's husband Brad Pitt, with whom she has the greatest of screen chemistries, was not cast in the part? Simple. He's too damn good looking. Impossible for Pitt, I don't care how much make-up they apply to make him look worse, could come off as the nerd who still wins the heart of the girl. Depp can and did pull this off. And only those who see the film twice will see that.

Better than expected

Author: Win from Canada
15 December 2010

Having read the poor reviews I was expecting to enjoy just the scenes of Venice (I go to every movie that features Venice and this one spends most of the time there!). However not only were we treated to stunning views of Venice it turns out that the movie was a very enjoyable piece of fluff. Of course it's not deep but I found it very amusing, especially the role of the English police inspector who played it all very deadpan. All in all I would rate it more highly than any of the reviews I have seen so far. An enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Note to Venetophiles - they really screw up the scenery - If you know Venice well you will laugh at the juxtaposition of several things which are not in close proximity! Poetic licence perhaps!

Ravishing Jolie in Clever Intelligent Entertainment

Author: dglink from Alexandria, VA
30 December 2014

In a glamorous role that would have suited Grace Kelly in another era, Angelina Jolie is ravishingly elegant in a series of stunning costumes and coiffures as a woman of mystery in "The Tourist." Although Johnny Depp is the tourist of the title, Jolie dominates the film, and every eye is upon her whenever she is on-screen. From the outset, Jolie is under surveillance, but by whom and why is only slowly unraveled over the course of the film. She distracts her pursuers with a chance encounter with Depp aboard a French train and, thus, entangles him in her mysterious predicament. Depp is a disheveled math teacher from the States and visibly dazzled by Jolie and her seemingly unlimited funds. Depp accompanies Jolie to Venice, where they stay in a palatial hotel that once hosted Marcel Proust. Always an eye-popping sight, Venice is a city as ravishing as Jolie and becomes the third star of the film under the capable eye of cinematographer John Seale. Like the plot of a Hitchcock film, everyone is pursuing a McGuffin, whose importance is almost irrelevant to the fun involved in chasing it.

"The Tourist" is slick, clever, and entertaining; the film is intelligent and leads to surprises that are truly surprises. However, the well plotted and literate script is no surprise given the award-winning credentials of its three collaborators. Julian Fellowes, who won an Oscar for Robert Altman's "Gosford Park" and Emmys and Golden Globes for "Downton Abbey," brought a touch of class and wit to the writing. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, best known for the Oscar-winning "The Lives of Others," both helmed and co-scripted with Fellowes and with Christopher McQuarrie, who won an Oscar for "The Usual Suspects." Although Paul Bettany, Steven Berkoff, and Timothy Dalton are able support, this is a Jolie star vehicle, and even the often scene-stealing Depp lets her shine. Colin Jamison is credited with Ms. Jolie's hair styles and deserves special mention, as does Colleen Atwood for the costume design. When Jolie walks, or perhaps glides, down the street every eye turns her way, and no viewer doubts that her captivating sashay and appearance merit the attention. Not since Grace Kelly in "To Catch a Thief" has an actress so embodied glamour, grace, and elegance on screen. Herein, Jolie evokes the golden age of Hollywood, when screen goddesses like Garbo, Crawford, and Dietrich literally glowed on the silver screen

"The Tourist" is that rare treat, sophisticated, light adult entertainment with romance and intelligence, but without glorified violence, explicit sex, or gratuitous nudity. A terrific script, well paced direction, travelogue locations, good cast, and a stellar Angelina Jolie make for an unqualified recommendation.

Depp turns everything he touches into gold!

Author: mmphilip from New Zealand
4 August 2011

Even movies that are less than ordinary! The Tourist is not a fantastic movie, but very entertaining nevertheless, due mainly to Johnny's brilliance and gorgeous chick bones! Angelina Jollie is a beautiful woman, nobody can deny that, even though we girls hate her for this unpardonable sin, but she may have been better served by a catwalk rather than an acting stage.

The Tourist follows the story of a woman leading an unsuspecting man to his own death, by luring him to lead the bad guys into believing he is the real deal.

Johnny does a fantastic job with what he has, always! He is very funny and very charming in this movie, although maybe a little bit unchallenged, he's much better than this...

But it's not altogether bad, the plot is a bit weak, but not terrible, the location (Venice) is always a winner no matter what. Angelina shines in her full glory, adorned in beautiful countless dresses, glossy make-up and the puffiest lips. Johnny is a joy to watch, if I can watch him drunk, stoned and bald for almost 2 hrs in Fear and Loathing, I can watch him in anything...

Give The Tourist a chance. If you have noting better to do, it's a good entertainment on a wet cold night, with some nice cheese and a glass of wine to celebrate at least Venice, if you like nothing else.

Johnny's Frank is delightful, touching and slightly mysterious.

Author: sensationalgirl-2011 from United States
12 July 2011

We're all used to seeing Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie in dramatic roles - Finding Neverland, Public Enemies, The Changeling, A Mighty Heart... and it's so easy to forget that they can be funny. But they are, both of them. Johnny shines, as he always does. Angelina Jolie looks glorious, and when she smiles, the screen lights up. They don't have chemistry, critics say. Oh yes, they do, I say. More importantly, they seem to be enjoying themselves.

Johnny's Frank is delightful, touching and slightly mysterious. He has endless room to play around, and makes Frank memorable, and lovely, as only Johnny can. Angelina's role is more limiting, but she still makes it fresh and - yes - deeply amusing, parodying both herself and the genre in general. Watching her saunter around on her high heels, one can't help but recall what James Bond used to be like. This isn't Wanted or Salt: she has far more to do here than look cryptic and shoot people, and she does it very well.

Add to that the utterly magnificent Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton, a few stereotypically dim Russian gangsters (they speak actual Russian, for once, and their funniest lines aren't subtitled) and Rufus Sewell, and there's no way you can go wrong.

Yes, there's a twist at the end - a twist that seemed to annoy most people. But does that take away from the film? No! It adds to it, because it's just so obvious, and natural, that it's all the funnier for it.

I never thought I'd say this about Angelina Jolie

Author: Irie212 (irie212@gmail.com) from New York City
12 June 2011

I saw The Tourist because of the director, von Donnersmarck. His only other feature, The Lives of Others, is so subtle, so moving, so pitch-perfect that no number of damning reviews could have steered me off this, his next effort. That puts me in a minority, no doubt. Most people paid to see Depp and Jolie, separately or together. Depp doesn't disappoint (nor does von Donnersmarck), but Angelina Jolie sinks this movie.

She's not the only problem, of course. The plot is harder to believe than the Old Testament. It's saved by the setting in Venice, and the moments of wryness in the dialog (almost all Depp's), and the talent including von Donnersmarck, Depp, Paul Bettany, Steven Berkoff, Christian de Sica, and, fleetingly, Rufus Sewell as a bemused plot device. (No, I haven't forgotten about Timothy Dalton, whose acting chops escape me.)

Jolie is omitted from that list. Though she's a gifted actress, as she proved once and for all in "A Mighty Heart," she doesn't even attempt to act in The Tourist. Throughout the film-- except, briefly, when she's in a baggy sweater on a boat-- she reminded me of film critic Dwight MacDonald's description of Brigitte Bardot at the height of her freakish popularity in 1960: "Bardot has become a grotesque, a product of biological overspecialization like a borzoi, her face has been reduced to the sexual essentials... those huge staring eyes, the great thick-lipped toothy mouth, the cascades and whorls and fountains of hair." Fifty years later, Jolie has out-Bardoted Bardot. She seems to have glued fur or perhaps dead caterpillars to her eyelashes, and her make-up is so thick I wondered if the crew didn't have to check it periodically with a dipstick. More forty-weight foundation here!

The freak factor could be forgiven, but where has her talent gone? Depp seems miscast, but he carries his role with his usual light comic touches and his unselfconscious ease, a characterization enhanced by the fact that he seems to have spent less than a minute in a make-up chair, none of it with a comb. He's real. In contrast, Jolie is a Colleen Atwood-clad mannequin with (as MacDonald wrote of BB) "no lightness, no verve, no womanly softness, no change of pace." Her performance is a series of posed stills.

It is disheartening to see an actress sell out both her natural beauty and her notable talent for a career that seems to be based wholly on glamor and celebrity. I find myself wondering if Ms. Jolie, with her ample tattoos and numerous adoptions and heavily publicized liaisons, isn't the Hollywood equivalent of an opera diva. I think they're called narcissists.

Come on: watch the original !!!

Author: lapinou_06
25 December 2010

Don't even bother: watch the original French movie "Anthony Zimmer" which is wayyyyyyyyy better!! Angelina Jolie really does not have the charm of Sophie Marceau (Braveheart, The World Is Not Enough). Watching The Tourist was a real pain, the plot has been completely destroyed. The actors are so bad it hurts. Angelina Jolie shows absolutely no emotions and, as a consequence, the scenario does not make any sense ("I love you" before opening the safe: ridiculous!!). And what a shame for Johnny Depp! He was not convincing enough. We cannot understand how those two can fell in love: there are no dialogue, no passion, noting. I really don't understand why to destroy We good movies to make such horrible remakes.

A horrible waste of time

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
20 January 2011

I do not like prejudging a movie before watching it, but I am a human being, and there are various occasions in which yielding to the temptation is unavoidable. In the case of The Tourist, there were various things to prejudge: to start with, it is the North American remake of a French film I have not seen called Anthony Zimmer...and we already know that the Hollywood adaptations of European material do not tend to be very good. In the second place, it represents the debut in the United States from German director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, whose extraordinary movie The Lives of Others was enough to open him the doors of Hollywood...and we already know that those migrations rarely produce good results. And last but not least, the leading characters from this movie are interpreted by two attractive and hugely popular actors, something which usually means that not too much attention was put into the screenplay, because the mere presence of Hollywood stars would supposedly be enough to keep us entertained and interested. I wish that The Tourist had challenged those low expectations, but it unfortunately ended up being at that level, stealing us 103 minutes from our lives with a tedious story, null chemistry between Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie and an atmosphere which pretends to be sophisticated when it in fact is repetitive and excessively simple. In summary, The Tourist feels like an insult to the spectator.

I suppose that The Tourist aspired to be a modern version of director Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980)'s cinema, because besides of having an international intrigue, mistaken identities and a femme fatale, it also has the central subject of an innocent man trapped into a conspiracy he barely understands, from which he is only going to escape by using his ingenuity and a courage he did not expect to posses. And even though I have never been a big fan of Hitchcock's, I think that The Tourist falls very short with that ambition, because to start with, I did not feel suspense or interest in the two main characters, at the same time that I found the romance between them to be absolutely artificial. The screenplay is simultaneously ridiculous and very predictable, with arbitrary events which do not try to push the narrative, but whose only intention is showing us Jolie using a new dress, another weak sequence of action or more "humor" at the expense of the Italian police.

In conclusion, The Tourist is a horrible waste of time, and I suggest you not to make the same mistake as me, and to avoid it any cost.

Charade anyone?

Author: rcastl2335
11 December 2010

Watching this movie, I kept thinking of the great Grant/Hepburn vehicle Charade. That is, a Charade with all of the charm, sexiness, wit and sophistication sucked from the screen. A remake of a film that, from these results, seems not worth viewing once, The Tourist is a lame and leaden bore from start to finish. Because this is ostensibly a thriller, there are several "surprises" that will be less of a shock than the price of your popcorn and soda. A scene or two of mis-fired comedy. Some dullish action sequences. Depp is so low-key that one can only assume narcolepsy as a key to his portrayal. Almost a parody of Marlene Dietrich, an emaciated, down to bone-and-gristle Jolie sways through the film with a look that says "Check out these cheekbones, fellas." The costume are top notch, Venice is beautiful--and so what? Barely worth a look when it appears on video and then only for Jolie's various high fashion strolls.

Can't recommend the film, but can recommend your next holiday destination

Author: Dharmendra Singh from Birmingham, England
11 December 2010

Has there ever been, and will there ever be, an actor more handsome than Johnny Depp? Now that I've seen him in just about every guise, I can confidently assert that the man would look suave in a bin liner. Ditto Angelina Jolie. In a previous age, men would have gone to war over her. 'Creative differences', i.e. rows that previous actors and directors attached to this film had allowed these two beauties to unite for the first time.

Scotland Yard pursues Jolie, as she will lead them to Alexander Pearce, who is on the run for stealing billions from a British gangster. Jolie receives periodical missives from Pearce, which detail his moves. She is instructed to stay with a man resembling Pearce until they reunite. She (obviously) chooses Depp, a bland but suitable maths teacher from Wisconsin, who happens to be holidaying in Venice.

I would not dare give away the ending, but what made me guess the final twist 45 minutes in was my observation that the film's boringness would have multiplied exponentially had it not been what I suspected.

It's doubly annoying when first-rate actors give second-rate performances but Oxford graduate, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck can be blamed for directing this film (with such a stupid story, what room could there have been for 'creative differences'?). Most of what is in this film has been seen before, except perhaps the splendid shooting of Venice. I can't recommend the film, but I can recommend where you should next holiday.

www.scottishreview.net