IMDb > "Men of a Certain Age" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Men of a Certain Age"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Men of a Certain Age" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Men of a certain age

Author: kevin-t-healy from United States
22 December 2009

As a 51 year-old man, I feel like I fit into the "certain age" that the show is based on. A lot of new things happen at this age. You begin to think more about what and how much you eat. You hope that your kids won't be cursed with the same quirks that you have. You wonder if women are still attracted to you. You wonder if you're still cool, or if you were ever cool. This show deals with these subjects and many others in a truthful and funny way. The writing is excellent, the acting is fantastic, and the cast is wonderful. Romano, Bakula, and Braugher are really good together. I really look forward to Monday evenings because of this show.

Promising new series

Author: TaskGazer
15 December 2009

I believe that this is something to keep on watching. The three leads Ray Romano, Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher work out great in their very different styles and characters and the supporting actors are also well cast. It's always great to see Richard Gant for example.

I like how comic scenes in this series are mixed with very serious and sad moments, which make it feel real to me. Of course that's also because of the hand-held camera.

Very interesting format with a kind of nice feeling to it. I really like the mood, the style of the series and how the characters are portrayed. Looking forward to see how this is working out.

Think outside of the box.

Author: xxzerohopexx from United States
1 January 2010

In a very saturated market place there are few TV shows that can really stand out like this one has for me. It is so refreshing to see a show scripted like this one that isn't afraid to be just a bunch of average joe's with very average problems. The true beauty of this show lies much deeper than the simple characters we are first introduced too, i.e. 1. car salesman 2. out of work actor 3. party store owner. It's about the bold undertaking of how a bond of three friends who may no longer have much in common can still stand by each other. They clearly are not happy in both personal and professional life and it is here where I look most forward to watching these characters grow and take that first bold honest step forward into admitting such.

I understand a lot of the mixed and negative reviews with the show being sort of mundane about these '3 average joe's' that we otherwise shouldn't really care about, but I strongly feel this is what separates this show from the crowd.

Kudos to everyone involved in this show, I truly hope we can watch these characters continue to develop into what I think will be a great story.

Dramedy Worth Watching

Author: (Greatornot) from United States
5 January 2010

I have to admit, I did not think Ray Romano can pull this off. 3 middle aged men on the brink of 50, HS pals going thru life's trials and tribulations. This is a most creative offering and refreshing. The casting is great. Ray Romano is himself a divorced man with 2 kids , rounding off this clique , you had Andre Baugher , happily married, and eternally young skirt chaser Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap fame. This was realistic with none of the added silliness of some TV for shock effect.There was no laugh track,which only adds to the realism. Certainly this program was more drama than comedy. Ray Romano, though not a great comedian, is elevated by the rest of this cast as he was in ELR. Ray Romano is the Bob Newhart of today, and thats not a bad thing. This is a tasteful program that truly does delve into everyday situations. If I have one criticism , I would like to see a little more comedy . Overall , This is still a wonderful effort and worth watching. Just make sure , you are optimally alert or the show can pass you by.

A great new TV show. I can't wait to see more.

Author: DarkHalfCultCrew from United States
17 December 2009

So far I have seen both episodes of "Men of a Certain Age" and I have to say I am impressed. Ray Romano, Andre Braugher, and Scott Bakula seem to fit very well together. Ray Romano plays a great role in this show, much better then any thing else I have seen him in. This series shows the lighter side of getting older. The only thing I don't like about this series is it seems each episode ends when it seems like there should be more, but that's just their way of keeping the audience wanting more.

All in all I found this new series to be very enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Brilliant

Author: beercourt from United States
1 February 2010

These are flawed, likable men. It is refreshing to watch three-dimensional characters on television without having to resort to "reality" shows. Drama is not a bad word - no really it isn't. There is drama in every life, and placed into perspective it can be compelling entertainment. Well scripted drama, as opposed to the emotional breakdown of a spoiled 25 year-old heiress, makes watching television a good use of time. The comedic aspect of the show is the touch that makes this show so rich. If you're expecting to see Ray Romano rehashing Everybody Loves Raymond, you'll be surprised. Braugher and Bakula turn in creditable performances as well with outstanding support from Lisa Gay Hamilton, Richard Gant, and Jon Manfrellotti. If there were anything negative, I'd say that they are overusing the cable advantage (the ability to swear) just a little. There are times when it seems that the word "shit" is in the script just because it can be. In a show about middle-aged, middle-class men, a little profanity is authentic. But, the term "mother-shit" is not authentic by any means. Men of a Certain Age validates the humanity of men nearing 50. It paints them as real people who have passions, fears, faults, desires, and a sense of humor to cope with it all.

A woman of a certain age who loves it.

Author: mrocco-1 from United States
20 December 2009

I really love this show. At 49 I relate to the age specific part of the show. Being female it's really interesting to see the male version of my age group, the things that men are worrying and talking about.

In response to the comments made by r-w-anderson, he states that the music used to date these characters is somehow unrealistic. I completely disagree! There may be some people who define their musical memories by a very small slice of their history, but for most of us the most powerful memories come from those times when you were first learning to love music. When Neil Sedaka's 'Breaking up is Hard to do' came on (who is that woman?) I immediately remembered slow dancing with Jimmy Barnes, swaying back and forth like most 8th graders do when dancing. Or when they played the Billy Jack Theme song I could remember exactly where I was (a sleepover) with all of the girls singing it at the top of our little lungs. So don't tell me what the soundtrack of my life is. When I'm reminiscing I certainly would not crank up the disco unless I was having a disco party! The 'reminiscing' music of choice is almost always from the early 70's, mostly Motown. My brother who is 50 listens to the exact same type of music they play on this show on a daily basis. That's part of why he loves this show. As far as I'm concerned the music is spot on.

SPOILER: I think many people associate the word comedy for silly Hollywood sit-com fare. In a literary sense comedy is often a blend of tragedy and comedy, like Shakespeare. I think this shows hits a perfect note in that regard as well. The scene where Ray Romano's Joe watches the last second of the basketball game and realizes he's won is a brilliant example. He goes from being really exuberant about winning and goofing on the kid's inflatable Hulk toy to being disgusted with himself for gambling and punching it until it pops. The look on his face is priceless. Tragic and Funny.

I hope this shows makes it.

Heading into the Classic Vault

Author: inquiries-17 from United States
15 August 2010

Not since the 70's classics, such as All in the Family, The Waltons, Barney Miller, and M*A*S*H, has there been a ensemble cast with such a depth of characters and circumstantial and contextual realism as Men of a Certain age. This series strikes me as a straight drama with various flavors of comedy, from raucous to bittersweet, sprinkled in. As a 47-year-old male I can relate to it completely, but not that relating matters, since I enjoyed M*A*S*H and All in the Family equally when I was in my teens.

When truth is poignantly portrayed through writing, acting, and production you can't miss it. It's the magic coming together of the whole and celestial alignment that happens when courage and genius are found on both sides of the lens. This show shines and is the first I would be willing to watch in SD on my HDTV since the aforementioned series of the 70's. Nothing is overdone: no melodrama, no ego trips, no pretense, no glamor, nothing special - just wonderful, richly textured exposures of characters made compelling by the final link in the chain - the actors.

As a fan, I sincerely hope they stick to the formula and don't pull a Mork and Mindy - a highly successful piece of fluff, until Mork's character was "expanded" out of its established zone.

It's an easy, deserving, lone 10 in an ocean of "reality T.V." and other vomitous, puerile, formulaic, Hollywood, corporate morass.

Realistic Baby Boomers in Male Mid Life Stories

Author: jimmatlock2004 from United States
18 December 2009

At 50 myself, I readily identify with each character, especially Ray Ramono's. As a gambling addict myself, it the mirror in the face I've needed to show how my transgressions and excuses have made my life more complicated.

The three male characters all in their late 40's, offer a view of life from their own daily lives. One in a marriage with kids, working in a used car lot for his dad who doesn't respect him, deeply in debt and no where else to turn; while he also deals with his health issues. One, single over-the-hill actor who does day work in an office setting doing spreadsheets while surfing the web and taking breaks more than he works. And, Ray Romano's character runs a small party supply store who is coming out of a marriage because of his gambling addiction, while having time-to-time problems paying his bookie.

The three meet and talk around breakfast, run together, and more. This is definitely a male bonding program that has been long over due for TV. In a way, it's what the Golden Girls were to older women.

Ray Ramono has done it again. I loved, "Everybody Loves Raymond", now I'm loving, "Men of a Certain Age". The show has been successful in tapping into my age group and showing the reality of what men our age go through. It's definitely a testosterone show. Enjoy!

True friends

Author: hastie-1 from Australia
22 December 2009

This show has potential. The characters have personality and a certain reality about them, you feel like they could be people you know.

Ray Romano's character bring's out the best of him. I saw him on The Last Word recently which portrayed him as depressive and his sense of humour really blooms with this type of character.

The way the three friends interact with each other shows their familiarity and brings you into the bond they share. I like how the show doesn't concentrate on one demographic and the three friends have very different lives (which friends often do). I see this show relating to many people and bringing a broad audience.

I would like to see more of this show to see where they take the characters. Although I am younger than the guys I find I can still see them as real people in my community.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]