IMDb > Your Highness (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Your Highness

Your Highness More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Not the Highest

Author: codyameschatman from United States
18 April 2012

Your Highness, not the highest in my opinion and from what I've seen from the other reviews, not really the best in the eyes of most. It's the classics tale of a knight going on a journey to save his princess with a sleight twist; he has a lazy soft little brother. This brother played by Danny McBride, who also wrote the film, makes it bearable to sit thru the whole film with his usual funny persona we see in all his films and his TV show east bound and down. But all in all it wasn't terrible and if your in the mood for a stupid humor comedy, it will provide. Also i'm a big fan of James Franco as well as Natalie Portman so they kind of suckered me into this one.

Medieval Comedy

Author: harley-copple from United States
29 March 2012

The movie Your Highness (08 April 2011) is rated R and has a 5.6/10 rating from viewers on I.M.D.B. This movie was directed by David Gordon Green and was written by Danny McBride and Ben Best, and the producer is Scott Stuber. The three main characters in this movie are Thadeous, (Danny McBride), Fabious, (James Franco), and Isabel, (Natalie Portman). Fabious and Thadeous are brothers, but Fabious is the real warrior of the two. These two brothers set out on a quest to rescue Fabious' fiancé, Belladonna (Zooey Deschanel). They gather a small army and set out to rescue her from the evil Leezar, (Justin Theroux). Fabious and Thadeous encounter many challenges throughout their journey. The first unfortunate event is when they discover that their entire army is plotting against them. The two brothers escape along with Thadeous' slave, now they are on their own. Eventually Fabious is captured by the traitors anyway, and Thadeous must continue the quest along with the female warrior, Isabel, and his slave. The three of them must find the sword of the unicorn and save Fabious and Belladonna from Leezar. Thadeous proves himself by finding the sword and coming to his brother's rescue. With the help of Isabel and his slave, Thadeous is able to rescue his brother and future sister-in-law from Leezar. After the rescue, Thadeous seems to have caught the eye of Isabel and they must now set out on their own quest after his brother's wedding.

I think the turning point of the story was when Thadeous finds the sword of the unicorn. He seemed to gain a lot of confidence and courage in himself, and set out to help his brother, Fabious, for the first time. This movie is probably inappropriate for many viewers because it does have a lot of vulgar language and some nudity, but I found this movie to be very funny and entertaining throughout the whole movie. In my opinion the viewer ratings seem a little low, I felt the movie was better than a 5.6, but like I said it is definitely not a movie for those who are offended easily.

Raunchiness with Hints of Humor

Author: (dkffuturegeek@yahoo.com) from United States
11 March 2012

Its tough having a perfect, over-achiever as an older brother, especially you are an overachiever in debauchery. Of course being spoiled, self-centered and lazy doesn't help your image either. But if you want the accolades, you must make some changes.

The underlying premise of the movie was actually rather interesting, as well as the fact that there were some humoresque moments due to spoofs at established fairy tales, and the actors created memorable characters. But this cannot override the absolute crudeness and lack of true comedy. Unfortunately, the main focus of the film seemed to be to push vulgarity to its limits. And that is in the edited version, which should be rated X.

The world would be done a great favor if all copies of this film were lost forever.

Fairy-tales for grown-ups

Author: clipmaker from United States
15 January 2012

I consider art a form of expression that don't insult our intelligence but emulates it. So why to waste money in making such a movie who happens to be a parody with such a low sense of humor that it depreciates all the good that was put in making this movie, at least good in sound and special effects. I regret seeing good actors playing in these kind of movies, and also what to expect from the entire cast, maybe they taught the movie will be funny to watch and also kind of stupid because who takes seriously nowadays warlocks, witches, monsters, knights, and maiden? Well, or you don't know anything about myth and folklore or you just happen to be a hypocrite who has no idea what he is dealing with. If you want to enjoy a movie like this you have to be no more than a 5th grader with pimples all over your face, but if you grow up already and you are an adult, please stay away from it, or you will be poised to start acting as immature and childish like the characters of this movie, and you will insult everyone you know with your erratic behavior.

What a waste of talent and chance of making something completely hilarious

Author: Kratos666 from Finland
2 January 2012

"This quest sucks!"

David Gordon Green has made some interesting and good films in the past ('Undertow') and pretty recently ('Pineapple Express'). But what about this one then? The quote above pretty much sums it all up.

In a far away land, there lives two princes. Thadeous (McBride), a cocky and cowardly fatty. With fatty I'm not talking about a perfectly shaped large ass. Let's just say that he's not in shape. But he does enjoy smoking fatties... Where were we again. Was there another prince? Oh yes. Fabious. He's just fabulous. The next King. The great hope of the kingdom. But I'm pretty sure that this gullible princeter has been molested by a wizard of some sort...

So anywho. There are other characters but who really gives a f**k. All of them are pointlessly put out in the script. Zooey Deschanel, who is by the way the sexiest chick in the business, is totally lost in the picture even though she's the princess their after. Damian Lewis's character could've been written better. Natalie Portman? OK, she just won the Oscar. Did you know that 'Your Highness' was re-scheduled a few times. Why's that? I guess they've learned of the Eddie Murphy 'Dreamgirls' - 'Norbit' incident. Murphy would've won the Oscar without that 'Norbit' disaster released at the same time. Nuff said. Where were we again? I guess Green has tried to make 'Your Highness' as a mocking tribute to all these 80's fantasy adventures we've grown up with. 'Willow', 'Conan the Barbarian', 'Red Sonja' etc, you know 'em all. Green just went wrong on some really important things. There's a lot of missed opportunities here.

First of all, 'Your Highness' starts on very slowly. I understand that you have to introduce the protagonists etc but man... I almost broke my main rule and searched for the forward button on the remote.

Secondly, 'Your Highness' just ain't that funny. There are some scenes that are amusing but you know that feeling when you're cracking up completely? It ain't here.

Thirdly (can I even say it like that?), Green does deliver some obscene scenes but he doesn't max 'em out completely. It almost feels as if he's apologizing before hand.

There ain't gonna come a "fourthly", because I'd probably brake every rule in English grammar. This film just is a mess. There were some scenes that were OK but there's gotta be more. There's no denying that 'Your Highness' has lots of talent in it. It just ain't used the way it should.

"All I want is for you to be a part of this moment. I want you to be gay with me and father. - I don't want to be gay with you two!"

Bad title. Worse film.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
27 December 2011

Your Highness starts with a wedding. The prodigal son of the King (Charles Dance) has returned from yet another successful quest in this ancient and magical land – where ye old dialogue is only interrupted by as many 'motherf*ckers' and 'c*cksuckers' as painfully unfunny Danny McBride can bleed out of a bic.

Fabius is the apple of his father's eye and the pride of the kingdom. Not only has he returned victorious, but he and his small band of fearless heroic warriors have also brought back Belladonna (Zooey Deschanel), a beautiful princess who is to be Fabius' bride.

But Fabius is more than an ideal son and all round nice guy, noble, brave and much adored by all, he is also the older brother of a lazy, crass slob named Thaddeus (Danny McBride). Thaddeus resents the justifiable adulation bestowed upon his more deserving older brother, so as an olive branch of peace Fabius asks that Thaddeus be his Best Man at the impending nuptials.

However, at the lavish ceremony the following day Thaddeus is nowhere to be seen, skipping the ceremony to get stoned and chase sheep with a half goat, half man.

Yes, it is that kind of film… Unfortunately for all involved the evil wizard Leezar shows up and plucks Belladonna for himself, as he needs a virginal beauty as one of the primary ingredients of his own prophecy.

A despondent Fabius immediately decides that a new quest must be embarked upon, one to save his bride to be, only this time the King suggests Thaddeus go along and prove himself a man. The suggestion is made all the more serious for Thaddeus when he learns he will be banished from the kingdom and disowned by his father if he disobeys.

And so off Fabius and his brave offsiders, Thaddeus and his toadying offsider Courtney go, into inhospitable territory with danger at every turn, but not really.

Along the way they deal with magical puppets with possible pedophilic tendencies, mythical creatures of varying sizes and topless warrior women. They face betrayal, peril and a dangerous and determined young woman named Isobel (Natalie Portman) on a quest of her own.

Might I point out here that *YES* Portman partially disrobes for precious little reason aside from providing eye candy, and *YES* this totally worthwhile. But aside from the brief glimpse of her g-stringed glory Portman is essentially the straight woman to Thaddeus' degenerate childishness. In fact aside from the heaving cleavage and strip down scene she isn't called upon to do much of anything.

The supposed humour in Your Highness arrives in the form of frequent vulgarity, homoeroticism – both mistaken and genuine – surprising gory moments and grown men talking and reacting like children aged between 4 and 12 years of age.

The 4 Y.O. material arrives when Thaddeus threatens to 'dob to his father', the 12 Y.O. when the crew see boobies and practically giggle like well… 12 year olds.

And in between is the constant profanity, profanity designed to provoke laughter but in reality just showing that perhaps we shouldn't be surprised at the level of comedy throughout this tripe.

McBride proved to me in The Foot-Fist Way that he didn't deserve the accolades from Will Ferrel and co. He proved once again in Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder that he is barely capable of playing a third or even fourth string banana in a comedy. Your Highness proves that Natalie Portman is willing to show skin with little justification, that James Franco is willing to help out a friend regardless of the damage to his reputation and that perhaps Charles Dance is a worse saver than you might think.

Final Rating – 4 / 10. Also the 'Your Highness' is obviously a nod to pot smokers worldwide, but it has little to do with this film. They might as well have called it Lord of the Smoke Rings. Better yet they could have tried to make a decent film. Bad title. Worse film.

Too much flagrancy, not enough wit, though the film seems capable

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
13 December 2011

Something about mythical fantasy and smoking weed suggests that a combination of the two should work. Epic quests, magic herbs and ridiculous, raunchy humor could have all gone to the same high school but never gotten a chance to become friends. "Your Highness" consequently brimmed with potential as the first "high" fantasy flick, especially coming from the team that successfully combined stoner comedy with a crime thriller in 2008's "Pineapple Express." Yet crammed into the same space, these different genres weaken each other and "Your Highness" falls short of anyone's fantasy.

Director David Gordon Green and in particular star and co-writer Danny McBride have not had any misfires to this point, at least as far as making entertaining films. But while "Your Highness" isn't a total bore, it commands no attention either.

Thadeous (McBride) is the lazy, worthless hornball of a prince who envies his charming and heroic older brother Fabious (James Franco). After a successful quest, Fabious comes home to wed his newfound bride, Belladonna (Zooey Deschanel). But when the evil wizard Leezar (Justin Theroux) interrupts their nuptials and kidnaps Belladonna in hopes of impregnating her to fulfill an evil prophecy, Thadeous and his squire Courtney (Rasmus Hardiker) must aid his brother in stopping him and saving Belladonna. On their adventure they must seek a powerful sword hidden in a labyrinth, escape treachery and befriend a crafty maiden warrior named Isabel (Natalie Portman).

A predictable and cliché fantasy plot can and should be excused in a movie of this sort, but lazy humor and forced expletives shouldn't. Those who know McBride's brand of humor — in particular as seen on his HBO show "Eastbound & Down" —know that his trademark is the effective use of swearing and perverse comments. They come in no short supply in "Your Highness," but it felt like the fantasy element, possibly even the English accent, tongue-tied him in a way.

In other words, the swearing and raunchy dialogue isn't any less than usual, but it's less effective in this fantasy context. In the instances when various four letter words get the laughs, it's because they seem unexpected. McBride and longtime friend and co-writer Ben Best needed to either dial down the quantity and commit fully to or away from the medieval speak. If nothing else it's just indecisive.

This wouldn't be as much of a problem, however, if they hadn't written an overwhelming majority of the humor into the dialogue and instead focused it into situational humor. The few situational comedic moments there are work nicely, but they're fleeting.

As a fantasy film, "Your Highness" actually had moments of sincere creativity. The five- headed serpent sequence worked the best by far of all the action scenes in terms of both style and creative thinking. Perhaps the approach of making a fantasy film and letting the comedy follow instead of trying to make a fantasy comedy might have helped. Most cult fantasy movies were born this way, though understandably that was the '80s and things have simply changed a lot since then.

"Your Highness" boils down to a mixed bag of penis and vagina jokes, f-words and over-the- top special effects. It could well be considered the exact opposite approach taken to fantasy comedy of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." This film's best enjoyed by extremely high young people or nine-year-olds with active imaginations who have never seen an R-rated movie before. The laudable moments, though present throughout, dissipate before they can improve the overall experience of the movie.

Even after seeing this experiment blow up in the faces of some actors and directors I respect, watching this film there still seems to be the potential to effectively pull off modern comedy in the fantasy context. It just needs to be more clever, and "Your Highness" doesn't care about being clever, even if at times it appears capable.

~Steven C

Visit my site! moviemusereviews.com

One of the worst films I've ever seen - and I've seen some rubbish!

Author: lyndonadavies from United Kingdom
1 October 2011

I really wanted to see this in the cinema - it was a spoof movie (which I love) and it had Zooey Deschanel and Natalie Portman in it - what more could I ask for? I was a little bit concerned about Danny McBride who was pretty poor in "Fist Foot Way" (another spoof that could have been so much better) but surely the presence of so many other good actors must mean that this was a good one. In the end I had to settle for watching it on DVD (good old "LoveFilm" meant I didn't waste the money to buy it) and I'm so glad I wasn't stuck in a cinema. I stopped the film on first viewing after about 20 mins.. even my kids, who like some childish crudity were appalled. I watched it all later (along with the fast-forward button) because I hoped that it was a just a dodgy start. Natalie Portman plays it straight all the way through and is as lovely as ever, but she must have been thinking "what the .....?". The script was so bad that even I could have substituted funnier punchlines instead of the crude inanities that McBride and Theroux were coming out with. All in all I doubt I'd have found this funny even if drunk and/or stoned. Quite simply the worst movie I have ever seen.

Less fun than a stoned trip to the Renaissance Fair

Author: Pipesofpeace-171-685725 from United States
27 September 2011

Completely idiotic stoner comedy set incongruously (though not amusingly)among the knights and damsels of the Middle Ages. Kind of like Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but with a lot more weed, non-stop F-bombs, and almost zero laughs. Perhaps the Jack Black dud Year Zero would make a better point of comparison. Danny McBride rarely lets on that he can actually be funny at times in other things, James Franco looks like he'd be more comfortable with his arm pinned back under that rock from 127 Hours, and the usually adorable Zooey Deschanel has almost nothing to do whatsoever. And if you're thinking about renting out the DVD just to briefly see Natalie Portman in a thong, keep in mind that you first have to sit through the spectacle of seeing Toby Jones WITHOUT the benefit of a thong. That's right: you're going to get mooned by Dobby the House Elf.

Not impressed.

Author: Kuma from United States
16 September 2011

Honestly now amount of Natalie Portman's butt, beautiful naked bouncy breasts, or up close shots of James Franco's butt can make this movie worth watching.

Not only are the jokes shoddy and poorly timed, but not funny in the slightest. Unlike most of my age group I don't enjoy slapstick comedy. Sure some jokes are OK but these were just horrible. I couldn't handle the fake Minotaur junk that princes Thadius wore on his chest, and the cheesy but fake "sex" scenes from Zooey.

Not to mention Zooey Deschanel.... great gal... and don't get me wrong some of her movies are good.... but I find her acting cheesy, if not monotone and static. She as a person seems like a Mary Jane and that always seems to bleed into her acting as well.

This was a dud movie.