IMDb > Your Highness (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

This quest sucks.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
3 August 2011

Constantly overshadowed by the chivalrous actions of his brother Prince Fabious, disgruntled scoundrel Thadeous vents his frustrations by blundering simple assignments, indulging in too many spirits, and berating his aide Courtney.

But when Fabious' new bride Belladonna is kidnapped by the evil sorcerer Leezar, Thadeous is forced to tag along on his very first quest.

Encountering wise wizards, ruthless jungle savages, and the fiercely driven warrior girl Isabel, Thadeous must learn to play the role of a valiant knight - and when Fabious is captured by Leezar, the bumbling prince might just become a hero...

wow, is this film bad. So bad, I can honestly say it's the worse film I have seen so far this year.

The makers seem to think that putting stoners and profanity into a medieval movie will bring in the laughs, they are horribly mistaken.

The cast, McBride et al, all do there best to save this, but they struggle with the regular fart jokes and and stoners jokes that have been used a thousand times before. But the honours go to Franco, who was so good in Pineapple Express, here he is just wasted as the 'hero'.

There are zero laughs in this, and it's just very painful to watch and the majority of the cast look bored.

No wonder Portman hides her face during her entrance....

Worst film forced to spend £23 on ever.

Author: devilmaycare34 from United Kingdom
9 January 2012

I was in London when this film was released and my partner came to visit me. We decided between Your highness or Limitless, in retrospect we really should have waited a bit longer for Limitless. It cost £23 for the both of us as it was in Leicester square. There was 3 people in the cinema, the lights went dim, there was a promise that this film would be amazing. What was it? It was absolute vitriol from start to finish with the deepest pit of toilet humour I've had the misfortune to witness. Some people have said we are hypocrites, I love humour if it is good but it doesn't even fit into a decent storyline. There is no reason for hanging a penis from your neck, or making a small purple alien into a sicko pervert, or any of the other jokes that fell flat because the only thing they were actually good for was the advert. Kudos to the editor of that ad for making the film seem really funny because that was pretty much it with the same amount of storyline. Even Natalie Portman couldn't save it, nor Zooey Deschanel. Nor even Danny Mcbride. I spent half the film fiddling with Facebook on the phone and would have happily walked out half way through if my partner hadn't been sadistically enjoying it. It is probably man humour of the lowest, stalest pit of someones mind. It isn't satire, you can't call it black comedy, it is merely awful.

Waste Of Time

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
10 June 2011

watching this crap is wastage of time & nothing more

.even if you are bored as hell don't watch this movie.

watch wwe anytime this movie is worst of 2011 the story is gay & the cast is also bad plus i lost respect for Natalie Portman how could she start in this junk.

.. 2 hours of mind killing & boring story forced jokes & in the end Natalie port man shows whats inside her panties to a beard man..urrrh.

Hollywood is running out of stories the trailer even looked bad don't know why I've watched this.but i will warn you please do not watch this at any cost. & don't listen to the good reviews stay away from this.

my rating is 1/10 awful film

Completely awful

Author: one_armed_freddy from United Kingdom
16 January 2012

I could find nothing I liked in this film. It was not funny or interesting and at best, I was bored.

The cast should be ashamed of themselves, there are some good actors here who are surely above this.

Too often when films rely on improvised dialogue the result is an incoherent showcase of actors having a whale of a time while the audience are left alienated and disappointed at being left out of the joke and Your Highness is one of the worst offenders. I'm sure they had a great time making the film, but that doesn't make for an enjoyable viewing experience.

Though, having said that, this film would still have been awful with a script.

Your ultimate lowness

Author: Scott Baldwin (Meven_Stoffat) from Canada
11 April 2011

Your Highness is a movie, if there ever is one, that is an insult to the words "Gross-out" and "comedy" and the dash between the first two words. What's even more insulting is the fact that it came from such a talented director, David Gordon Green. That guy directed Pineapple Express, and a number of lower-key serious ones that are worth mention as well. But alas, Your Highness is an ultimately unfunny embarrassment of a film that makes the god-awful "Step Brothers" look hilarious.

The film's story is set in Medieval England and basically revolves around Thadeous, a lazy and fat stoner slob with a successful brother, Fabious. Fabious has just returned from saving his wife, Belladonna, from an evil wizard with three moms called Lezarre. As they are about to get married, on the wedding day, Lezarre kidnaps Belladonna and brings her back to his castle for the sole purpose of deflowering her, with the help of his three mothers. They take some guy I couldn't care about named Courtney as they go on their quest. Their quest includes many things such as masturbating a wizard creature thingy, ending up in a trap and blah blah blah... yeah.

That's about as much of a story you'll get from Your Highness. Because much of the film's potential to have a good story is wasted on jokes about sex, paedophilia, wearing a monster penis around your neck and a whole bunch of other gross and raunchy stuff that's too raunchy to be funny, and too dull to be even considered humour, even unfunny humour at that. The film basically subjects its audience to such nasty and gross stuff for the entire duration, and while I love gross-out humour, there's a fine line between gross and funny.

That's not to say there wasn't any funny moments, because there were, in fact, two: One where Thadeous goes around, stoned out of his mind, chasing sheep, and another being where they are under attack in a ritual including a beast which is controlled by a fat man's hand. I'm not gonna lie, I just spent 20 minutes trying to remember the parts I did think were funny. That's never a good sign. There were a couple chortles as well, but I can't even remember those parts. There's an incredible amount of gory violence in the film too, but the only reason the gore is so shocking is because of the rest of the film being so static and blasé. Despite the violence, the film is not much of an action movie. Problem is, it's not much of a comedy either, at least to people who know what funny actually means.

Overall, while this film is rated 18A in Canada, I find mys elf a number of years years past its intended target audience- that is, 14 year old tweens who find jokes about baby rape and other disgusting stuff funny. And mind you, I've been known around my friends as the one with the incredibly sick and twisted sense of humour, but even still, this film is just not funny. I would definitely recommend staying away from this flick, no matter how much you love gross humour or sick and twisted stuff.

Well, it's an original spin...

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
14 November 2012

They say that there is no such thing as a bad idea for a movie, just bad executions of ideas. I was open to the idea behind "Your Highness" - after all the spin on this sword and sorcery world - mixing stoner and frat boy humor into this pot is an original one. All I was asking that the movie be funny doing this. Sadly, the movie isn't that funny at all. Stoner and frat boy humor can be funny, but all this dumb humor has to be executed with some intelligence to work. But the filmmakers of this movie seem to be thinking at the level of a brain-dead adolescent. The movie thinks that simply spouting off curse words is hilarious, but it simply isn't. The actors do their best, but the low-level mentality of the entire enterprise ultimately sinks the movie. The best I can say for this failure is that it is seldom boring. Stupid and intelligence-insulting, yes. But not boring.

Stupid beyond belief

Author: Maleplatypus from Croatia
25 December 2011

This sad excuse for a movie is insulting viewers' intelligence. Truly stupid beyond belief and not funny whatsoever, deserves two stars only because technical aspects are rather well carried out. It is hard to believe that out here exist such a low life that can enjoy this. Recently I've watched "Idiocracy" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/) and "Your Highness" perfectly fits in there presented "future" society. Maybe this movie announces the "new era" already. I've watched it with more than a few FWDs and still could not bear it. It's the bottom of the Hollywood junk pile. Anyway, I do not recommend it to the people with IQ over 60. Consider yourself warned.

Your crappiness

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
5 August 2013

Ugh. This was such a terrible movie that it could easily compete with "Dungeons & Dragons" in being the most pathetic fantasy film produced in the recent years.

It tries to be a parody of many fantasy films (Like Star Wars, Clash of Titans and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, among others) but the jokes are so dumb and unfunny that it fails to entertain on a spectacular level.

The character are flat and dull, and the script is something that could have been written by a 13 year old boy, with lots of immature and idiotic jokes that are not even amusing.

Honestly, David Gordon Green should stop making those stupid comedies and turn back to dramas, because he is terrible for this kind of films.

Do you want to see a good fantasy-comedy film? Watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and skip this garbage.

The Worst Movie of the Year: I Award You No Points.

Author: james-t-sheridan from Houston, Texas, United States
19 July 2012

Shame on everyone involved in this unmitigated disaster of a film: Danny McBride, James Franco, Natalie Portman, Justin Theroux, Zooey Deschanel, Toby Jones, and director David Gordon Green. Pathetic and sad, a colossal misfire as well as a pungent waste of money, resources, time, including mine for watching this sludge. A thirty-second preview for Danny McBride's uproariously filthy HBO show Eastbound & Down is funnier than the entirety of Your Highness, a wannabee-stoner film that cannot even milk its drug use for laughs. Neither cursing, nor McBride's goofiness can save this film from falling to the bottom of the heap. The very bottom. There has to be a bottom, and this film is it.

Zero stars.

So, I'm handing out punishments for this film, the lowest rating I've given for the entire year so far.

James Franco should be forced to watch his performance in this film on a loop over and over again with his eyes held open ala A Clockwork Orange.

Natalie Portman should have to return her Black Swan Best Actress Academy Award and never speak of her involvement in this film ever.

Justin Theroux should have to stop dating Jennifer Aniston.

And director David Gordon Green?

To paraphrase the classic film comedy Billy Madison, Mr. Green, what you've just created ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever watched. At no point in your rambling, incoherent film were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational (or funny) thought. Everyone who has seen Your Highness is now dumber for having watched it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

The Rescue of a Virgin

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
22 October 2011

David Gordon Green's crude, silly and dirty medieval fantasy adventure spoof 'Your Highness' is hilarious and even charming. I'm not a big fan of the overuse of toilet humour that has polluted most Hollywood films today but here it works. The good mix of adult (pretty modern-day) humour and the medieval look and language (I use this word loosely) is itself something difficult to achieve. Moreover, and perhaps more importantly, the movie has heart. 'Your Highness' pays tribute to many of those old action adventure fantasy films that we have grown up watching like 'Conan The Barbarian', 'The Dark Crystal', 'Lady Hawk' etc. The costumes and sets are pretty cool and the special effects and robotics are brilliant. The humour does appear forced at times but the funny characters keep it going.

The actors doe a fine job with their obviously fake British accent (with the exception of Charles Dance and a few others). Danny McBride (who also co-wrote), James Franco and Justin Theroux are very good. This is perhaps Natalie Portman's funniest role to date and she does a decent job. Her role was also supposed to be sexy but that's something difficult to do when you're in a movie that has Zooey Deschanel. Deschanel shows a good dose of cleavage and here she is cast as the damsel in distress (something different for her). She doesn't have much screen time but manages to make the viewer stare at her and chuckle.

On the flip side, the pacing is uneven and there were some scenes could have easily been funnier. Anyway, the movie doesn't take itself seriously and its certainly not a bad suggestion for a Friday night or an indoor flick for a rainy day.

Page 2 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]