"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: For Warrick (#9.1)"

"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" For Warrick (2008)

« Prev | 183 of 335 Episodes | Next »

CSI's Big "'Brown'-Out" Merits Tears, Not Jeers...

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.
11 October 2008

Okay, CSI Fan, c'mon, admit it: you knew when last season left us with the horrific image of a mortally wounded Warrick Brown slumped over his steering wheel bleeding out, after being ambushed by the DIRRTY-er-than-Christina-Aguilera Undersheriff McKeen (Conor O'Farrell), what was coming next. It was all over the entertainment news wires, the speculation brewed for months: there was no way Gary Dourdan would be staying with the show.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have confirmation. Even the too-often shown previews made it pretty clear - Warrick was going from being a team member to becoming their most important case. Every cop show comes to this "very special episode" point sooner or later, and CSI's farewell to the troubled Mr. Brown was neither pitifully underwhelming, nor ridiculously over-the-top. As close as the team has become (at least on-screen), we knew that banding together to find Warrick's killer wasn't even in question. Nor was the equal participation with them in the hunt for the murderer by Jim Brass, who has always been a de-facto CSI member anyway.

If anything does stand out, it was seeing Gil Grissom's zen-like exterior finally slip and fall, to reveal the devastated man beneath, who not only lost a valuable team member and a close friend, but someone he mentored almost like he would his son...if he had one. Of all the team members, Warrick would've been the one Gil might have groomed to take his place when he finally strolled out the door for that "permanent coffee break."

No telling how that will go now, although we also know that Laurence Fishburne will be stepping in eventually, as Bill Petersen relinquishes his lead role in front of the camera and remains only as an Executive Producer.

What other changes will these departures bring? It will be interesting to watch...and the show is in need of a tune-up after what? Nine seasons?

Well, considering, Warrick couldn't have asked for a more dignified send-off.

Anticlimactic

Author: jrbleau (jrbleau@sympatico.ca) from Quebec, Canada
13 October 2009

SPOILERS

At 8.8, this is one of the highest-rated episodes of the entire series, but I have to disagree. My problems with it are as follows:

1. We have a bona fide villain in the department and this should have taken more episodes to solve. As it was, with McKeen's incompetence it was just too easy, so there wasn't any tension.

2. The chase was ridiculous. The cars are following, only a few dozen feet behind the fugitive, but when the fugitive car crashes, nobody sees it. Oh yeah, there's a helicopter right on his tail, too. And a car can't crash through a guard rail that way, running parallel to it, it would just bounce off, or the car would just skid or roll rather than plow through. After the crash, the seriously injured McKeen somehow, and for some reason that escapes me, drags himself a good distance away (he has the time for this, despite the other cars having been a couple of seconds behind). Only Nick follows the bloody trail. We get the usual confession (one of the cheap devices too often used in this and other shows), and with taunting by McKeen, Nick shoots the fugitive! Of course, he deliberately missed...

So, where we could have had some real tension, the writers resorted to the implausible artifice in point 2. I simply can't see how an episode with such cheap devices can be rated so highly. Maybe the viewers did it out of loyalty to the Warrick character, but I felt the character's death merited a better episode than this.