IMDb > "Better Off Ted" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Better Off Ted"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Better Off Ted" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Great new show that deserves a chance

Author: Octochicken from United States
24 April 2009

I don't usually do this kind of thing, but I'm tired of great shows getting canned before they get a chance to grow an audience. I have no idea how the ratings are for this show, but it's my favorite new show and might quickly become my new favorite show.

The casting for the show is superb, the acting top-notch, and the beat of the show is always quirky and funny. There are a lot of great ideas coming out of the writers. It is over the top in the best of ways but never loud or annoying. Best part: NO LAUGH TRACK!!! I can't say enough how tired I am of those.

If you like Scrubs you'll like this show. And for the record, I don't mind at all that the characters talk to the camera. It's not a mocumentary and I'm glad for that too - another idea that is going to get old very fast. I laugh constantly throughout each episode. Like I mentioned, the writing is very sharp and you have to pay close attention to see all the funny stuff that is going on at times.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a long and healthy life for Better Off Ted. Now back to the lab...

Better Off Ted has promise

Author: scarletminded from San Diego, CA
19 March 2009

I just saw the pilot for this show and want to write about how I liked it. Mainly because I feel shows aren't given time to find an audience and maybe me voicing my like of the show will give it a chance.

The show reminded me a bit of the movie Brazil, except a sit com. The music, the setting -- especially the part about making chairs uncomfortable with workers in order to increase productivity --, a few of the characters, though I doubt this show would even touch the dark comedy of Brazil. What I am saying is that it has that sort of bleaker comedy spirit.

It's smart too. Jokes are pretty rapid fire and I think it will do good playing after Scrubs because I feel Scrubs fans would stick around to watch this. Originally I thought maybe this was a spin off from Scrubs with the character Ted...no really I did. Andrea Anders was in the short lived spin off from Friends, Joey, so maybe I have that on the brain.

I was hooked from the whole, "can you make a mouse that can stand 195 degree temps?" to the pumpkin weapons, so I hope this show is given a chance to get an audience. I'll watch it whenever it's on. It's got a lot more going for it than your typical sit coms.

Absolute Genius

Author: bogsplatt
29 April 2009

What a fantastic show. It is a hilarious satirical commentary on the offices of scientific research and technology companies. It is amazing how to close to reality some of their material cuts for those of us that work in R&D departments. It is also a very 'fun' show, the writers must really enjoy having a decent budget to make spoof advertising for their pretend corporation. Sometimes it is good to stand back from life and take stock of the really important things, and this satire certainly jabs away at the ludicrous of the modern office environment, where being creative requires a constant battle with the middle-management Ogres.

Different kind of humor

Author: diesel333333 from United States
23 April 2009

I am a big fan of this show. It really compliments my Wednesday nights of Scrubs and South Park. I don't expect this show to do well or even stay on the air long, which is a bummer. The humor is dry, intelligent and very targeted to a specific audience. Lucky I think I am their target audience...

The show plays heavily off stereo-types. You have the uptight Female boss, the nerdy scientists, slightly crazy blond, and Ted. Ted is the man who has to sift though the insanity that is corporate America, aka Veridian Dynamics.

Give the show a chance, You might like it....

Best Show Since 'Arrested Development'

Author: cary713 from United States
18 June 2009

Portia de Rossi is even better in this show, and I was surprised to find none of the same writer/directors from A.D. listed in the credits. The Veridian Dinamics 'commercials' are fantastic. Throughout the show I had to try not to laugh too loud, so as not to distract my co-workers.;) Funniest show I've seen in a long time. I have to agree with one of the other posts that the comedy is targeted and intelligent, which is hard to find these days. I am continually disappointed in most comedy shows, but every once in a while a gem like this comes along.

PLEASE don't cancel this, ABC! Long live the Octochicken...

A Very Funny Comedy With Potential To Last

Author: DirectorsCut19 from United States
18 March 2009

"Better Off Ted" chronicles the title character's business in Veridian Industries, a corporation that has a group of scientists come up with various ideas and creations to test and sell to the public. Some of these ideas include business chairs that has fabric employees find uncomfortable, yet they improve productivity because employees won't be able to daydream.

This show has gotten off at a good start. The characters are likable, and the jokes are pretty funny. Even the ideas, like when they freeze one employee just for the heck of it, are crazy and random.

A nice touch of the show is its use of stock music. It's not an original idea ("Ren & Stimpy" and "Spongebob" did it before), but like those two cartoons, the music helps the comedy, bringing more laughs.

One thing I hope for "Better Off Ted" is that it will last. Usually, hilarious shows without laugh tracks or studio audiences struggle to survive on network TV, probably because TV watchers don't seem to know what's funny unless they hear a laugh. The show's creator, Victor Fresco, also created "Andy Richter Controls the Universe", a really good comedy that was unfortunately canceled due to low ratings. Hopefully, more people will tune in to this show, along with its side-partner, the very funny "Scrubs". It's entertaining, and it has potential.

Funny, smart & original commentary on corporate America

Author: shevia from New Jersey
21 July 2009

Veridian Dynamics is a large corporation that invents, tests and markets everything from deadly pumpkins to beef that tastes like despair. Ted works there as a manager. He's a good and sane man in a heartless--and often insane--corporate environment. The comedy in this series comes from seeing just how insane work at Veridian can be and the hoops Ted jumps through to keep the insanity in check.

Each episode begins with a commercial for Veridian Dynamics, parodies of commercials put out by real world corporations. These commercials are so biting--and funny--one wonders who would dare advertise on a show like this. Portia De Rodsi steals the show as Ted's boss, Veronica, who embodies all that is beautiful, perfect, devious and heartless at Veridian. Veronica is the kind of woman who likes having Ted's young daughter around, because her presence makes it easier for Veronica to fire people.

The show never lets you get too comfortable, and that's a good thing. It is brilliant, hysterically funny and original, so much so that it's a wonder it hasn't been taken off the air . . . yet. Catch it while you can.

Quick, witty and oddly hilarious!

Author: CitizenShane from Australia
16 September 2009

Saw the first episode last night 'On Demand' on Australian pay TV. I often sit back and watch the 'On Demand' stuff because I want see what I like and what I don't, and more often than not I see what I don't.

'Better Off Ted' was there. Never heard anything about it before. I put it on and was immediately swept away by the quick dialogue and the narration (I guess it's narration) to camera from my new best friend Ted. He works for a research and development company, beneath Veronica played by Portia De Rossi. The dialogue between these two is hysterical! This show reminds me of Arrested Development. Maybe it's the Portia De Rossi thing, maybe it's the dialogue. Either way, I'm already loving it, and I will be spreading the word of 'Better Off Ted'.

So far excellent

Author: Cell Life from United States
23 June 2009

Has a lot of great quirky characters, geeky premises, and absurdist plots. As some have said, there are elements of The Office and Scrubs, but with a lot more whimsy (at least for now); comparisons to Arrested Development seem apt.

I think there are quite a few ways to expand and push the edges of the basic premise for a good healthy run of shows. Unfortunately its geeky element may not be enough to sustain a core audience in a prime time spot on a major network. It has that feel of being perhaps a little too kooky for the main stream, but I hope not. I'd love to see where the show goes as it develops.

Better off Ted is far from brilliance, but has great potential

Author: Kajlaurent from Netherlands
2 June 2009

I watched this show from the beginning and after the first show i thought it would become a lame show that would be cut off after the first 7 episodes. Now after i watched the six after that i can really recommend the show. I'm going to watch this show for a very long time. Hope other people will enjoy it too and the show wont be cut off at the second season. It has a good cast and really funny characters. I don't know what people find annoying about talking to the camera. I think it isn't supposed to be funny. It's just to move you into the storyline of the episode.

I hope this show will get at least 4 seasons. It's a show that deserves a little attention.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]