IMDb > "Lie to Me" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lie to Me"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Lie to Me" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Amazing Show. I think I found another favorite besides House!

Author: vastlypro from United States
21 January 2009

An amazing show. I have always been a big fan of Tim Roth so when I heard he was doing a show I was very excited and I was hoping he would have strong writers to back him up. Lie to me is an excellent show with a highly original idea. It has it's own category. Numbers deals with math, House deals with diagnostics, Bones deals with forensic science and great character development for the most part, and Now Tim Roth is the human lie detector. The film is well acted and the chemistry between Tim Roth and his partner is excellent. The dialog is very strong while having slight moments of sarcastic humor. Blunt honesty tends to be very funny at times as well. The writing in the show makes the show seem more on edge as well and I am anxious for more. Lie to me is a wonderful show so far And I can't wait to see where they go with it this season.

Well done!

Author: gort-8 from Catonsville, Md.; USA
22 January 2009

So far I've only seen the pilot episode. I admit it. I've got a mad man-crush for this show.

The show's about Dr. Cal Lightman (Tim Roth) as a sort of a superhero. He's a human lie detector. He looks for dozens of subtle tells in the face and on the body. He's studied human communication so intensely that he always knows if someone is concealing something.

His company, so far, is involved with police and political matters. There's some significant room to bring in lots of personal interplay as well (we've seen a glimpse of that already).

This is from Imagine Entertainment, the company that does 24. I hope that, as the show evolves, that the fate of the planet doesn't rest on everything that Dr. Lightman does and says. One Jack Bauer is plenty, thanks.

I also hope that the show doesn't become driven by an overarching nemesis. Shows with a strong internal mythology and skin-tight story arcs can be fun, but we've seen so much of them lately that I wouldn't mind seeing the episodic adventures of a flawed hero trying to do something right.

Excellent show with a great cast! I'm not lying!

Author: fred-kolb from USA
7 March 2009

Lie to Me is a very interesting series, with a lot of humor and a very interesting premise in my opinion. In addition the 4 Cast members all play their role very good and add to the show's freshness.

Tim Roth (great as always!) plays Dr. Cal Lightman, a human lie-detector, who's able to detect any lie from people's body language. That ability comes in handy when catching criminals, but it also provides him with the misfortune of always knowing when someone is not honest with him, sometimes leading to unfortunate situations. Lightman is a cynic and unpleasant character, who's willing to do anything to find out if someone is telling the truth or not.

The series also features a strong supporting cast, including Kelli Williams as Dr. Gillian Foster, whose husband is cheating on her, a fact everyone of her colleagues is aware of, except herself. Brendan Hines' character is always telling the truth no matter how embarrassing and Monica Raymund starrs as Ria Torres, who has the natural ability of seeing if someone is lying. That often leads to conflict with Lightman, who refuses to believe her ability is as accurate as his, since he needed years of training, while she was just born with her talent.

Yes, there are parallels with other series, especially "The Mentalist", but those are pretty much limited to the ability of the main character being able to detect the truth from people's movements and voices. Besides "Lie to Me" is focused on the science of detecting lies, something completely ignored in "The Mentalist". For example, it will take a person who's telling the truth longer to respond than one who's lying, because the one telling the truth needs to think about the answer.

The only real flaw after 5 episodes is in my opinion that not enough character history is provided. We literally don't know anything about the characters, except a few details. I have no doubt we'll eventually find out more, but it's about time they start. All in all, the series is great fun and entertainment, and maybe you'll be able to pick up one or the other lie in the future, thanks to Lightman's group.

So far, so good...

Author: FlyingTriumph from United States
22 January 2009

Last night I watched the premiere of Lie to Me on Fox. I'd seen the previews for months, and when I saw that Tim Roth was coming to television, him being one of my favorite actors, I was both excited and dubious at the same time. Another of my favorite actors, Christian Slater, had made an awesome TV debut on My Own Worst Enemy. But the show had been canceled, and I honestly didn't want to see the same thing happen to as great an actor as Tim Roth.

But last night's pilot delivered many great performances, not only from Roth, but the supporting guest cast as well. The episode itself had a pleasant mixture of drama, comedy, and sharp dialog.

Despite what some may think, it is possible to tell from a show's pilot whether or not the show will succeed. From what I saw last night, I can see this show going a long, long way. The formula that the show's staff have come up with is, yes, still in its conceptual stages. But they're definitely on to something, and I hope to see a rising popularity in America for Dr. Lightman and his team.

One of those rare T.V. Show's

Author: lopcar1993 from United States
6 April 2009

Lie to me is a true rarity and gem among T.V. show's, it hasn't been done a million times over. Lie to me stars Tim Roth as Dr.Cal Lightman a doctor who specializes in body language and vocal patterns; together with his team of specially trained associates he helps the police and U.S. Government solve there toughest crimes. Lie to Me is a great show because it capitalizes on a whole new field of television, all you see on modern T.V. today is cop show's more cop show's and medical drama's. But this is refreshing it's much different then any show out there, yes it involves the police but in a small role there only around to keep things under control or to make arrest's. This show has a style and mind of it's own. It doesn't follow the extremely(and I mean that lightly) worn path of other show's that maybe similar or try to be like it. Take Castle for instance, it's a show about a murder mystery writer who helps' the police solve there case's; Now how many times has that been done? Lie to me is a completely original and highly entertaining show that I know that people will just love if they give it a chance.

Fantistic start.

Author: stelstargirl from Canada
22 February 2009

This show remains episode in nature while keeping you fully intrigued by the characters and wanting to discover more about their back story. Tim Roth is intense, engaging and brilliant... kind of a milder version of House - he's willing to stop at nothing to get to the truth, and doesn't feel the need to over-rationalize his choices.

The other characters compliment each other well, and use their personal characteristics to colour their judgments/choices, which is true to life.

Very intelligent show so far.

Hope it stays on the air.

This is a surprisingly great show!

Author: elmer_stenmarck from Sweden
5 March 2009

A show which turned out to be a lot better than I though. There are lots of "Cop-shows" out there, although they are seldom something special. But this! This is a great show with great actors and a story that for once is different. Tim Roth does a really good job, so does the other less well-known actors.

What makes this show special is probably the shows protagonist (Tim Roth). He is special, socially "disabled", but still so powerful with wisdom and in a strange way guidance. A similar example could be CSI's William Petersen.

I strongly recommend this show for people whom enjoy watching shows like CSI, Numb3rs and similar ones!

Smart TV!

Author: igor-zalenski from United States
26 February 2009

If you haven't seen this series, get yourself to Hulu ASAP...it really is a terrific show by any standards but especially phenomenal for a Big 4 broadcaster.

What makes it unique is its documentary-style cuts; showing how to spot deceptions using real-life examples -- Clinton, Rumsfeld, Nixon, etc. The storyline itself is adequate but these extra insights stand the show apart from anything ever broadcast before. In this age of dumbing down broadcast TV to the point of being unwatchable, its "Smart TV" approach really is worth supporting...maybe it will start a trend; kind of an anti-Survivor.

Murdoch will probably kill it so enjoy it while you can. On the bright side, if it does die maybe it will find a home at one of the cable stations that'll show it more love.

One word: Awesome.

Author: Autumn Martin (poprocks22@gmail.com) from United States
6 February 2009

I think this show is awesome and is now my favorite. I've never seen anything like it, really. I've watched it about a zillion times and can't wait till every new episode coming up. I was actually starting to get tired of all the re-runs and boring shows on T.V. I don't know if it's the science behind the lies or just the idea of it, but I've simply fallen in love with it. But I don't think it's just the lies that interest me, I'm also very in love with the actors and characters. Especially Tim Roth. Aka Dr. Cal Lightman. If there were words that could explain my interest and love for his work I'd use it, but as far as I know, there isn't. Even in the new "Incredible Hulk" I was struck by his talent.

An excellent beginning...

Author: kevinpoirier712 from Los Angeles...
21 February 2009

Disregarding Reservoir Dogs, I think this has to be Roth's best work. Roth is extremely in touch with Dr. Lightman and you feel as if he truly enjoys playing this character. The show leaves you in total disbelief at points and instills a hunger for more and more episodes. I strongly suggest this show to anyone who is interested in an incredibly engaging and entertaining drama series as well as to anyone who is interested about Dr. Paul Ekman's work on facial expressions, and body languages as it relates to emotion. Solid television series. I look forward to the next few episodes. For anyone who has missed the first few episodes, the television series is now online at hulu.com. Highly recommend hulu as well.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]