IMDb > Bundy: An American Icon (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bundy: An American Icon (V) More at IMDbPro »

A total waste of time

Author: alvaro_chan from Santo Domingo
20 September 2009

Please, if you haven't see it, don't. It will not fit any expectation you might have. If you are a film student, this is a guide for everything you should not do in film making.

Starting with the long unnecessary takes and the bad acting followed by a very bad illumination and a terrible soundtrack. This is such a wasted subject, I mean we are talking about Ted Bundy here, this is some serious stuff. If you want to know about Bundy go check the interviews and info online.

Filmwise, is not told in a interesting way and the soap opera look doesn't fit right. After watching the movie, I had one idea of the source for his urge for killing. and after I did some research it seams to me that the movie did not portrayed it correctly.

Is incredible how all the bad stuff eats on the good work of others in the same project.

Want a clue? Don't Bother wasting Your Time!

Author: voodooempress from United Kingdom
31 May 2009

This has got to be the most awful film I have watched in a long time. In fact, I will as go as far as to say that it's worse than my all time movie low (which near enough caused me to have a mental breakdown and was only saved by disappearing out of the cinema to do some retail therapy) Scooby Doo the movie.

This is a waste of time, the acting is poor and I mean POOR - low budget doesn't have to mean this BAD. I am a little tired of these so called biography films where the writer and director get off on scenes of violence (in between scenes of pure mind numbing tedious acting).

SO - if you get your kicks from listening to piercing screams, with not one great attempt at acting in site, this is the film for you! If they had to tell this lunatics story, then they could have done it so much better than this. I shudder to think who would call it a great film - but then the word 'cult' will no doubt be used instead of the word 'crap'. But hey, you never know how drunk you need to be to get through to the end.

Really bad portrayal

Author: lovemyhayabusa from United States
28 July 2009

I read the book by Ann Rule The Stranger Beside Me and this movie was a complete failure at portraying Ted Bundy. The judge who sentenced Bundy to death in the case of Lisa Levy and Margaret Bowman was NOT Foggerty it was Edward Cowart. He was not picked up and his car was NOT searched in the middle of the desert, his car was searched by 3 policemen not one. And the Warden was NOT the one who recorded the confessions it was Bob Keppel. He killed 2 girls at the Chi Omega house with a WOOD CLUB not a baseball bat that was in the girls' room, and he seriously injured 2 more girls in the same sorority house, then he killed another woman down the road from them. The movie left out SOOOO many important details. Like where was Ann Rule at the Crisis Center, and what about Carol Ann Boone?, the woman he had a daughter with? It is a TERRIBLE, AWFUL, movie don't bother to rent it or buy it, Read Ann Rule's book along with Bob Keppel's for the real story of Ted Bundy!

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
19 May 2013

Corin Nemec pairs with Director Michael Feifer on their fourth direct-to-video profile of a serial killer. This time the one they chose was Ted Bundy and the movie is not as advertised. Even though their other collaborations have been less than steller, I decided to watch this one, because it was described as a "drama that traces the path of this charming icon serial killer." From that, I was hoping to see a biographical film and that's the way it started out. After a half-hour or so, the film unfortunately descended into a blood bath. Ever since establishing himself with the hilarious teen comedy, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Corky Nemec has turned to the dark side and seems to thrive on playing these twisted evil men. The former teen idol is terrific and gives a really strong performance, but it was the only thing of note in this film. After introducing us to Bundy, the writers stop focusing on the man and focus on his crimes. For the final hour of this film that's all you see, until a macabre ending which tries to show Bundy as some kind of hero, who never had a chance, because of his circumstances. The man brutally butchered as many as seventy woman, but according to this film, it's not his fault, he's just a child who never grew up. The whole premise of the film was ridiculous, it's a blood bath that tries to make Ted Bundy into some kind of victim and it's a slap in the face to the families of his victims. As much as I enjoy seeing Corin Nemec play a psychopath, I'm done with these snuff films that glorify the most evil men the world has even known.

The worst of the 3 Ted Bundy movies I have seen.

Author: ProgShred from Long Beach, CA
8 December 2011

When I saw this movie, the other day, on cable, it played with the title, "Bundy: A Legacy Of Evil," which is a much better title than the original one. As far as the film goes, I don't know what to complain about first. I guess the poor acting is a good start. The actor who played Bundy in this movie was not very convincing. Neither was anyone else for that matter. What was worse was the story line, or lack of it. At times, they would go from any particular scene and cut to a random shot where he is killing a woman while some crappy Alternative Rock music loudly plays. Now I know that Alternative Rock gets its roots from 60s and 70s rock, but it doesn't quite sound the same. I didn't know if they had momentarily slipped into the 90s or what? The music was so annoying I started to hit the mute button whenever it would come on.

They also got several facts wrong, but what movie doesn't do that anyway? I wouldn't have minded that so much if they had just pieced the story together somehow. By cutting to random killings and scenes in different cities or situations with no explanation or setup, I would not have had any idea what was going on without knowing what I already knew before seeing the movie.

Been Done Before and Far Better

Author: collioure_bee from France
4 June 2009

You would think with a wealth of stuff that the Bundy story gives you, that you could come up with a decent film on the subject with a different angle. The angle this one comes up with is a lack of character building, acting and coherent storyline.

From the first scene of a very unconvincing murder the alarm bells should have been ringing stop watching now. Then we are treated to a "young" Bundy who is the oldest High School boy in history and the conversation with his young girlfriend is laughable, especially when she says she wants her secret to be out, the secret being she is seeing a younger man. Younger man? It was embarrassing, it looked like she was dating her teacher or worse still, her dad, and the acting like a coy High Schoolboy was cringeworthy.

There is a scene in a Seattle Call Centre which should have come with a free sick bucket for the lines that followed two minutes of Bundy on the phone to a suicidal depressive, telling him to "get in your car and go for a drive, wherever you want to go...." They tried to paint him as some all American hero.

To be honest, after forty minutes you are hoping the police get a tip off and change history to catch him early, followed by a quick confession and jail sentence so we can all pack up and go home. Obviously this doesn't happen so you hope for some more quick clips and a decent court case. You get neither, just a hotch potch of Bundy standing up his first girlfriend after proposing to her, revenge for how she dropped him and then a drawn out murder scene in a school dormitory.

The judge uses the actual words that sentenced Bundy to death, but we didn't get the chance to see any of this great lawyer in action, just a few minutes of him glorying in his "work" as he makes the detective describe in detail the scene he met at the dormitory Bundy had killed and attacked a number of young girls in.

The only time tension starts to build is at the end towards the death scene, but as the tension starts, it's over before it's got going and leaves you feeling short changed. I'm not saying a long drawn out execution is the order of the day, but some build up would be nice.

There was also no explanation of the truth at the end, no write up about what happened during Bundy's time. I realise that the story is well known but there is a new generation that isn't aware of him or his history. Unfortunately they will not learn anything from this film.

If you want to see a better attempt at the Bundy legacy, try the made for TV two part NBC film Deliberate Stranger.

Might be a legacy of evil, but it was wrapped in boredom...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
9 January 2016

I happened to find this movie by random coincidence at the local secondhand DVD store for about $2. I do enjoy horror movies, and a movie based on the actual serial killer couldn't be all bad. But I was a bit hesitant about it when I saw who had the lead part.

Without going into much details about the story, then it can be easily summarized as a movie about notorious serial killer Ted Bundy.

Story-wise then "Bundy: A Legacy of Evil" was unfathomably boring and rather uneventful actually. You don't care for any of the characters in the movie, be it victims or killer. Why? Well, because everything was so superficial and shallow that you can't emerge yourself into anything. And the actual killing scenes were just unimpressive.

One thing that did work for the movie, and which was much of a surprise for me. This was perhaps one of the best performances by Corin Nemec. It was just a shame that he was held back by a flaccid storyline and script. Also, Kane Hodder is in the movie, which was a bonus for any horror fan, but it was nowhere near enough to salvage this movie, not by a long shot.

"Bundy: A Legacy of Evil" is really not worth wasting your time or money on. If you like movies about real serial killers, then there are some better choices available.

Not even close...

Author: keene051
23 April 2015

This movie is awful. It's as if someone scanned through the Ted Bundy wiki page and then wrote a screenplay from what they could remember. I can count on my hand the moments in the film that were accurate (not including character names) - and most of them were very small aspects.

Besides the obvious COMPLETE butchery of all the facts, the movie was poorly paced. The acting was often very cheesy. The lead actor might have done a decent job with a good script and director. However, he seemed to have a pallet of creepy facial expressions he'd rotate through. Furthermore, he limped for the whole movie. I realize that some of the only footage available of Ted Bundy walking shows him limping, but it was because he had shackles around his ankles.

This movie was made out of an obsession with serial killers, which is probably why the focus was so helplessly off of the REAL Ted Bundy case - and who he actually was as a person. The part where he howls like a werewolf? Please. They even missed the boat on the method he used to kill. So many things missed - and for no apparent reason. Anyone who has read any account of his killing spree, or trials, would be able to write a better screenplay.

Also: This movie literally took me a month to finish. I'd stop about every three times something was so bad that I couldn't continue anymore. And it took me a month to get through the entire thing.

Exploiting the misdeeds of a monster

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
31 July 2009

Unremarkable biography of serial killer Ted Bundy. More lurid than anything this film probably would never gotten anywhere had it not had Bundy's name attached to it. Its yet another in a long line of recent films based upon real life killers made purely to mine the small niche market of the audience who likes films about serial killers. As those sort of films go its not bad, but at the same time its not the sort of film that I can even suggest to anyone outside of the target audience. If you're a fan of serial killer films or serial killer pseudo-biographies then you'll probably like this to some small degree. All others are directed elsewhere.

I guess times are tough for Corin Nemec!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
16 July 2016

Corin Nemec is a talented actor and best remembered for his performance on the Fox series, "Parker Lewis Can't Lose," and playing Steven Stayner in "I Know My First Name is Steven." In this low budget thriller, he plays Ted Bundy. He has already played Richard Speck and the Boston strangler. Ted Bundy was a complex man and one of the most notorious serial killers of all time. The scene where he opens a file and closes it without mentioning what was in it about his birth father. As somebody who read Ann Rule's book, his paternity has never been explained. Ted was attractive, charming and intelligent but he couldn't overcome his inner demons. Unlike the Green River Killer, his victims were not the usual prostitutes. Bundy killed women after tricking them into his car. We never really know what he with his victims besides killing them. Nemec's performance is the only salvageable part of this forgettable film. You should watch Mark Harmon in the role.