IMDb > 21 Jump Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
21 Jump Street

21 Jump Street More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 33: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Good old high school comedy,with Cops!

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
10 July 2014

21 Jump Street is a comedy with a lot of crude jokes, physical humour and a cast that can seem awkward as hell at times, yet still it is a hilarious film indeed. With a surprising performance from one the cast members and a story that doesn't have to be all about the comedy, 21 Jump Street succeeds in bringing humour we usually see only aimed at younger people, to everyone. I did feel that the film was solidly good and here below I will tell you why I thought that.

The story is actually well paced, doesn't rush along but never tries to compact all it's jokes in at once, this means jokes are evenly spread and right up until the end you still laugh. It is yes, full of so called "rudeness", this one is a miss for the whole family, but a watch nevertheless for the older people in the house as it may touch your comedy nerve and have you in fits of laughter. One more thing that this film gains is the way it has action scenes and car chases but doesn't always need humour to make them fun, the emotional side of the movie is terrible but the action/comedy and crime is excellent.

Channing Tatum surprised me here, he is the one who succeeds in doing well both in serious parts and comedy parts, I felt Jonah Hill although consistently funny, failed in a dramatic sense and parts become awkward when he enters. The rest of the cast work around them well, Ice Cube would have more appreciated if he had been in much more scenes. I liked Dave Franco, he is chilled all the way through and then the coach played by Rob Riggle is hilarious, brings much more different humour types in.

I liked the script and the group of people who wrote it do well to not only have physical humour or one liners, but also avoid recycling old jokes we have seen so often from high school comedies. At times the direction is poor, the script as said is great but when the characters come out to do it, sometimes direction is poor, makes scenes awkward and the joke ends after 3 seconds. One thing are the stunts, good gun battles and also car chases, make parts thrilling whilst you also laughing, all good stuff.

I guess one criticism is the crudeness, yes there parts maybe over doing the talk about the genital area, or about certain acts. The film is never dragged down because of crudeness but better jokes could have been placed in. As said the direction, it just makes scenes awkward, not funny and ruins the potential jokes the script has laid out for them and also Tatum and Hill have so much precision with the jokes, it is a waste at times.

I could easily say "if your between 15 and 35, go and see this" ,but I won't. I do believe than a vast mixed bag of people can and will like this and seeing as it is a remake of the original, fans of the old one may want to have a little look at this newer version. Some will have a big dislike for this movie and many will feel we have had this before, seen it before and the actors are just doing roles(especially Hill) that they have done before. I will say though that high schooler's may take a more special liking to it, seeing as it is about high school and all the modern things high schooler's do.

Overall I give it a 7.3/10, yes it is Solidly a Good movie, not quite Very Good but way more than just a pretty good try at comedy. Have fun with it, don't take it to seriously and really, pretend your still in high school, you'll have more fun. Watch out for an interesting plot too, it is surprisingly well thought out for a straight out comedy and they don't mind loosening the jokes to let a bit of the seriousness out, but only for a few seconds because someone will host a house party.

Brilliantly Funny Comedy

Author: Cs_The_Moment from United Kingdom
4 July 2014

21 Jump Street is apparently something of a remake of the 1987 TV series starring Johnny Depp and Dustin Nguyen (it's a couple of years before my time so I haven't seen it yet to compare the two) which features underachieving policemen Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) who are assigned the task of posing as high school students in an undercover operation to bring down a drugs ring, leading the pair into a whole host of hilarious situations.

Despite the juvenile nature that you'd typically expect from this film (not normally something I particularly enjoy) I thought this film was hilarious. Some of the jokes were very base but these were fairly outnumbered by some genuine good humour. Of course the whole film borders on the silly and far-fetched throughout but it never pretends to be anything other than just that, and rarely feels like it's trying too hard for audience laughs. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are a dream comedy duo in this: their differences in acting styles and personalities are played up in stereotypes which make for some real fun, especially as the stereotypical American high school is a strong factor. Dave Franco plays the shifty popular kid and offers an enjoyable performance that occasionally stands up to the humour of Tatum and Hill, although the biggest laughs from a more minor character come from Ice Cube, the exasperated chief at the 21 Jump Street Facility. There's a nice cameo appearance from the original 21 Jump Street-ers Johhny Depp and Dustin Nguyen too.

If you're looking for a brilliantly funny comedy that's full of light- hearted silliness then it doesn't get much funnier than this. Despite being a little apprehensive I absolutely cracked up at this film and can't wait to see if the sequel lives up to the laugh out loud humour in this.

Hilarious Movie

Author: C.J. Wright (cena9424) from United States
1 July 2014

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum were awesome in this movie, I didn't know what to expect from the movie, I thought it would be funny, it was hilarious and awesome!!!! I loved this movie!!!! One of the best comedy movies I've seen in so long!!!!! I loved when things was suppose to explode and it didn't that was awesome. When the chicken truck exploded, I laughed so hard. The highway chase scene was the best part of the movie. The acting was awesome and the dialogue was pretty good. Ice Cube was hilarious in the movie, I was so surprised by his performance. And this proves that the Comedy Genre is awesome and it has been for so long, because the jokes in the movie weren't forced, they were great. So overall, the movie was awesome!!! :) :)

It's predictable, but the laughs sneak up on you

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
28 June 2014

Nick Offerman had one of the great lines in 21 JUMP STREET:

"You see, the guys in charge of this stuff lack creativity and are completely out of ideas, so all they do now is recycle sh-t from the past and expect us all not to notice."

Which is funny, but even still: how do these properties get picked for remake/reboot/refranchising? Someone, somewhere thought it was a good idea to take the Johnny Depp show from the '80s and revamp it, but how'd they arrive at this particular property? Do the suits write a bunch of names on the wall and wherever the dart lands, that's what's getting remade?

In any event, 21 JUMP STREET works mostly because of its script and the chemistry between the two leads. Some of the jokes work well, others fall flat. Subverting the high school archetypes was also a clever bit. And I didn't expect to like Jonah Hill as much as I did, but that kinda goes for the whole thing. Channing Tatum made for surprisingly funny physical comedy. And it's really those two that make this work as well as it does - although, it was kinda funny seeing one person from every sitcom under the sun showing up here.

It's pretty good stuff, and as for reheating the past goes, it's a winner.

Also, really liked that Johnny Depp showed up at the end.

An enjoyable and self-aware comedy that only occasionally crosses the line...

Author: cleary-joshua from United Kingdom
3 June 2014

Only a few days ago I wrote in this blog that I've said the words "Channing Tatum? I'm not watching that..." far too many times. As an actor he's limited himself to mindless action films (note "G.I. Joe") or vomit-inducing chick flicks (don't see "The Vow"), which are the types of movies which I usually try to distance myself from. When I sat down with the family to watch "21 Jump Street", my hopes weren't that high, but I must confess now that I found him bearable and actually quite funny here. This is an enjoyable and self-aware comedy, with some good performances, that only occasionally crosses the line in terms of crudity.

In the film, Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum play cop partners, who went to high-school together and did not get on. Hill was the nerdy kid while Tatum was the handsome jock who bullied him. They meet many years later when both sign up for the police force, and decide that their partnership would allow each to motivate the other. Due to some difficult and hilarious circumstances, the two are punished by being moved to the "21 Jump Street" division and sent undercover into a high-school to investigate a drug problem there. Much of the comedy comes from the two integrating themselves back into school life, accidentally taking each others' fake personalities, and being generally awkward.

The cast of the film is very strong, with Jonah Hill's comedic performance being one of the best I've seen him in yet. In the supporting cast, Brie Larson plays a great love interest for Hill's character, and Ice Cube brings some fantastic self-referential humour into the film, about how ridiculous the concept of the '21 Jump Street' operation actually is. The fact that the film knows how implausible most of it is makes it all the more funny throughout. Dave Franco makes for a fairly believable bad guy, but the standout performance in the film goes to Nick Offerman, despite his small screen time, for his deadpan Police Chief, which is utterly hilarious.

The film is directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who also helmed the first 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' film and 'The LEGO Movie'. As shows in all of these films, their talent as comedic directors is extremely good, and they create a believable world for the characters. The film's greatest problem is that sometimes the jokes don't work, and some go too far. The crude nature of a lot of the film turned me off it slightly, particularly the final gross-out gag at the climax of the film. It doesn't feel particularly necessary, and is just a bit disgusting. It is this brand of comedy that is prominent in the not-so-funny "Hangover" movies, but thankfully not all of the jokes in this film are based on it. All in all, "21 Jump Street" is a funny and interesting comedy, and despite a few flaws, is incredibly watchable.

One of the better comedies in the last 5 years.

Author: Jack Banister from United States
19 May 2014

Some would say, "The Hangover," was one of the better blockbuster comedies of the past decade, but in all fairness, I think this movie gives it a run for its money.

Featuring Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Ice Cube, Dave Franco, Ron Giggle, and a cameo the original characters from 21 Jump Street, you can tell thought was put into the casting. There is palpable comedic chemistry between Hill and Tatum from the moment we encounter the two boneheads in the police academy. They play off of each other very well and it creates a really humorous take on the show. Channing Tatum, in my opinion at least, is at his very best when he's in a comedy. He does dramatic just fine, but he's too damn funny NOT to explore his comedic talents. Hill brings his hilarious mile a minute dialog character into this movie to GREAT effect. You can't help but have fun watching this duo in the script. Ice Cube plays his same tired character in this movie BUT it's cleverly written and timed so his performance is a riot. I bust a gut every time I see him address the "Jump Street" division... "Everybody comfortable...?" HAHA.

The writing is pretty good. It's a clean script. It presents us with the objective, it presents us with the characters and a bit of their background, and it gives us a satisfactory ending. Structurally speaking, it's nothing that hasn't been done before, but it is just brought to life by good acting The film is technically sound. Camera work and special effects are done very effectively. Snappy editing keeps us interested yet doesn't distract us from the performances being given; very well done. The blood effects, though CGI, were done well and didn't take you out of the moment (the final gun fight). Overall a job well done by the production team.

My only beef with the movie are too many penis jokes and at one point, they actually show male genitalia (something I have no interest in seeing...) The writing was great, but did rely on too many penis jokes at times. It seems to be a trend (at least the last 5 years) for these type of comedies to try and shock you by putting in a shot of the male genitalia...It's not really shocking because I have a penis and certainly know what it looks like, but seeing it on the big screen is just nasty and not funny. It's a comedic trend that I am definitely against. I don't find body part humor very funny in general, but hey that's just me.

Aside from that, be sure to see this movie. I could easily see it becoming a classic in the next ten years, it's that funny! If you like Jonah Hill or Channing Tatum, be sure to check this one out. Even if you don't this one is for sure worth the watch. It'll make you laugh.

A Great Reboot Of An 80's TV Show

Author: Intern2014 from United States
14 March 2014

21 Jump Street is an action comedy film that is based on the television series of the same name.It stars Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum together with Brie Larson,Dave Franco,Rob Riggle and Ice Cube.It follows two adolescent and young looking police officers who are forced to relive high school when they are assigned to go undercover as students.Their mission is to prevent the outbreak of a new synthetic drug and to catch its supplier. Phil Lord and Chris Miller direct the film.

This was a surprisingly funny and smart film that relieved the Johnny Depp-starer TV show during the 80's.The performances of Hill and Tatum are commendable that one would truly enjoy to sit through all through out.Aside from that,it manages to be an entertaining action comedy.Credit also goes to the writer and director as well.

Best film I have seen in ages. Hilarious

Author: toni-cooke18 from United Kingdom
5 March 2014

I did not expect much from this film, I watched it only because it had Jonah Hill in it and this movie made me LOVE him even more.

The story line is plausible, and really depicts the experience of high school adolescents.

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum were exceptional actors in this film, some of the scenes I was wondering how on earth they are not laughing their heads off. Some of the dialogue was amazing, I found myself in fits of giggles throughout.

The highlight of the film was when the duo were together, they really fed off each others personas. Together they were comedy gold.

This film just kept on giving, not only was it a great comedy to get you laughing, but it also had a good storyline too.

I can't wait for the next one to come out!!!

Decent movie, takes a somewhat original spin on several movie cliché's mixed with a little Superbad!

Author: nlytnd_1 from United States
20 February 2014

Even though I have a man crush on Jonah Hill, 21 Jump Street I never considered watching, until I read a little more on it and figured it would be a chance to see some of the Seth character from Superbad (which it had). For one this is a horribly titled movie. Who the hell gives a crap about the late 80's television show 21 Jump Street? When that show was airing, I didn't know a single person who watched it. Also the last character I would want my man crush to play was a cop. There is nothing cool about being a cop and there is nothing ethical about busting people for putting something in their own body. With that said, this movie didn't take the cop role very seriously. Around the time when Doug and Brad had the house party supplying alcohol and drugs to high school peeps I was cool with this movie. There was still the lingering thought of, yeah, but they're going to eventually bust the drug seller and supplier. Well, the movie goes out of it's way to make the ring extremely shady folk, although I could have done without the kid being arrested even though he's a total chode. Anyways, this movie does nothing to promote cops or the drug war, which makes it watchable, at least for me.

21 Jump Street is no masterpiece, but it has some funny moments and is mildly entertaining. I can't believe they're making a second movie though. I'm guessing Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum signed to a sequel in their initial contracts, because there is no way in hell Jonah Hill would have done a sequel to this movie. BTW not really familiar with Channing Tatum prior to this movie, but he's a good actor as well.

This movie was full of cliché's, although each cliché has an original spin. The uncoordinated dorky smart guy teams up with the coordinated cool dumb guy. Most of you probably aren't familiar with the movie Class Act, but the names get mixed and the cool kid and nerdy kid switch roles (I'm sure this has been done in several movies over the years). 21 Jump Street takes this cliché and puts enough of it's own spin on it to own it. You also get to see a little of Jonah Hill's Seth character from Superbad, which is good. This movie also doesn't entirely ride out the prom cliché, but it runs through it.

I have a hard time with the fine line of believable far fetched comedy (in the generic sense) and stupid far fetched comedy. This movie has it's share of both. When a movie starts killing people like it's a cartoon or a video game it knocks down the genuine comedy feel a couple of notches. Superbad had it's ultra far fetched moments, but maintained a genuine feel throughout the movie, this movie does not. Johny Depp and the other dude from 21 jump street getting killed (could have done without either) in conjunction with the "bad guys", kind of kills the celebration moment when Doug and Brad "save the day".

Overall this movie was decent. I would give it a 65-70 out of 100. Jonah Hill must have had a serious payday though to take this role even though he's ordinarily good at passing up money deals to be in quality roles. This was a decent movie decision for Hill, probably a big payday and he lost weight in the process. Part II on the other hand, not good, but I doubt it will have a negative effect on his career at this point.

Reboot of a Classic(?) TV Series

Author: mephotography2001 from United States
5 February 2014

A buddy cop comedy disguised as a remake of a classic television series. This is one of the reboots/remakes that doesn't try to recreate the original. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are not playing classic characters in a more modern setting. However, this film does act as if it's a continuation of the series as not only does it refer to "Jump Street" as a long-running police operation, but there is a hilarious UNCREDITED cameo at the end with series originals who refer to being ex-Jump Street officers. The fact that the original series was dramatic and this is far from it doesn't seem to matter. Nothing really new or creative in story, all the usual buddy film happenings and teen movie shenanigans are here as well as the "odd couple"-esque partnership. Some of the best parts are where they poke fun at themselves, like Nick Offerman's character using the Jump Street program as a metaphor for Hollywood: "You see the guys in charge of this stuff lack creativity and are completely out of ideas. So all they do now is recycle s*** from the past and expect us all not to notice." Worth a look for a laugh or two. 6.5/10