IMDb > 21 Jump Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
21 Jump Street

21 Jump Street More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A movie that brings new life into the comedy genre.

Author: Isaiah Wilson from Madison, MS
8 February 2015

I am very glad that 21 Jump Street was one of my first rated R comedies ever, as it will be one I will remember. While 21 Jump Street isn't a completely over the top, it uses some new methods that I have never seen in a comedy film. The first one that comes to mind is the amazing chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. Channing Tatum was especially surprising since I have never known him to do anything that was even slightly comical. Tatum's jock character meshes perfectly with the geeky Jonah Hill. Together the two successfully carry the movie with each character providing a number of hysterical moments. Overall 21 Jump Street is a everything you would want and expect from an excellent comedy, and is a movie I believe will have some influence on future 2010 comedies.

below average , funny in parts , rubbish throughout

Author: sumeet 2014 from India
2 February 2015

this is miserable . I was hoping for some high school interesting situations . It starts OK with swear words comedy . As the plot progresses , it gets dull . No bonding between lead characters . Churlish fights in serious situations. Production cost is high as props , background etc. look nice . Sometimes scenes are vulgar without fun which is irritating . No connect between emotions enacted & situation of any character. it is waste of time . At some places , it becomes unbearable as things go awry & actors seem to have forgotten their role . What more , they will make a sequel . Audience ain't fool to watch anything on similar lines again . a series of unconnected events with no basis of silly behaviour leaves audience fooled .

Quite entertaining, didn't disappoint

Author: Akshay Hegde
12 January 2015

Comedy is not among my more preferred genres. Its my choice mostly when I am stressed out or bored for refreshing my mind. Starting with 21 Jump Street I was ready to just have some fun whether it made much sense or not. In the end I was quite surprised the movie really invested me in its story not only catching with its gags. It starts off a bit slow but gradually transforms into a fun action- comedy ride.

21 Jump Street involves story of two cop-buddies Scmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Chaning Tatum) who are assigned an undercover operation to track down drug dealers and suppliers at their own high school where they had studied. Schmidt is more of a nerd type while Jenko falls into cool handsome guy category still they became very good friends while training at Police Academy. Well there is nothing special about the story, its easy to see the direction in which its heading. Yet the movie is able to put forth a nice enjoyable chemistry between its lead pair. There were some moments involving both of them that were genuinely heart warming which was hugely surprising. Ice Cube who plays the head of the undercover division is also pretty entertaining. Additionally Dave Franco and Brie Larson have smaller roles as students. Romance gets added which wasn't quite the right tone. There is also lot of action with guns firing and car chases but its all balanced out nicely. Among the most funny scenes I would say was the whole driving-school car sequence. There were some really laugh out loud moments.

In the climax there is stunning cameo which I did not see coming from any possible angle. I wont say a word about it, enjoy it on your own. The soundtrack and music suit the atmosphere and theme perfectly. But I felt a little problem with flow of the scenes, there are some sudden change from a comic aspect to emotional or romantic one. Lot of profanity is involved much of it seems to be there just to sound cool without making any sense. Phil Lord and Christopher Miller keep film nicely paced without much putting burden over the climax. In the end I wasn't disappointed and had some good laughs.

RATING: [3/5]

Only laughter

Author: joerain from Netherlands
7 January 2015

I am not a huge fan of over-the-top comedies like these, but the movie was recommended to me by some friends, who added that it was the funniest movie they had seen in years. After this statement i was persuaded.

The start of the movie was way too quick. You saw a glimpse of the high-school lives of the two main characters, who were the opposite of each other(the geek and the cool kid), and before you knew it they were cops and, most surprising, good friends. I could live with the fact that these are no in depth characters, because I did't had any expectations of a good thought-out storyline. I laughed several times, but mostly about jokes which had nothing to do with the story. And all those jokes were not part of a composite. Laughing was therefore the only emotional expression that occurred to me while watching the film. I find it very hard to see other aspects of this film worthwhile to discuss in a review. The movie's only purpose is to make people laugh and it succeeded on my case.

That's why my vote is only based on the moments I laughed out loud: six times

Better than expected.

Author: Kelso Von Grimm from Netherlands
5 January 2015

Honestly, I am not really into American comedy. Maybe because I haven't watched a lot of them. Maybe because I think that American humor is throw-cake-in-face-humor with fart and sex jokes. Maybe because I'm right. I have no idea, but that's not the point of this review.

When my boyfriend asked me to watch this movie I thought I would hate it, but I actually enjoyed it and I want to watch the next movie as well. Jonah Hill is a funny and great actor and seeing him starring in this movie was great. The story is funny and heartwarming at the same time. The action is great, the jokes are actually funny and the open ending was a smart move.

"Good Action-Comedy!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
2 January 2015

Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Dave Franco, Brie Larson and Ice Cube star in this 2012 action-comedy based on the TV series. Schmidt (Hill) and Jenko (Tatum) are 2 young men who went to high school together, but were from opposite crowds. Years later, they both joined the police force and became friends as well as partners. Soon, they're assigned to Jump Street where they must go undercover as High School students to find dealers supplying synthetic drugs to students. In the process, they relive their high school failures and overcome them. Franco (Brother of James Franco) plays Eric, a student who is one of the dealers, Larson plays Molly, Eric's friend whom gets close with Schmidt and Cube plays Police Captain, Dickson. Original stars, Johnny Depp, Peter DeLuise and Holly Robinson Peete also make appearances. This is a good action-comedy and Hill & Tatum are great together. I recommend this.

21 jump street

Author: cricketman205
22 December 2014

where do i start this movie is better than any movie i have seen it has got the comedy that u will always remember it has got some cool as vines it is great for all the comedy people out there if i was u that wanted the best comedy movie it is this and it not just funny it has got action it too the scene were there taking down the bike gang and it got funny it too it too and then a movie wouldn't be a movie without drama cause when both of them split up and have that fight on stage cause Jonah is just doing that play for the girl but when she sore them having a fight up there it just created drama like all movie do i love this one i do not want to spoil anymore scenes so go watch it and u won't regret it u don't even have to watch the trailer to the movie.

Best movie ever

Author: skiann ferree from United States
2 December 2014

This was a really funny video. I would recommend you see it if you haven't because you will laugh a lot. I would also recommend their sequel to the movie which is called 22 jump street. If you have younger children I would not watch this movie when they are up or even around. It is really funny because they chose to of the funniest people that are actors. I love how they chose Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum to play in this movie. I also love how they put them in two different groups when they go to school. I have seen this movie so many times and I love watching it every single time that I have watched it. I have not seen 22 jump street yet but I am hoping to soon.

21 Jump Street, the movie, deserves a two thumbs up!

Author: OhioMan2014 from United States
21 November 2014

Following their graduation from high school and the police academy, best friends from opposite ends of the social realm Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) are sent undercover by the 21 Jump Street Division Captain Dickson (Ice Cube); posing as high school senior brothers Doug and Brad McQuaid. There is a new drug circulating around campus, being dealt out by senior Eric Molson (Dave Franco) and his friends, and it is up to Schmidt / Doug McQuaid and Jenko / Brad McQuaid to "Infiltrate the dealer, find the supplier". However, when popularity becomes a barrier between them and Schmidt falls in love with student Molly Tracey (Brie Larson), Schmidt and Jenko must learn to put all of that behind them and unite if they are discover the true identity of the individual supplying a powerful drug that could be, for certain people, terminal. Rob Riggle, DeRay Davis and Johnny Depp co-star. The bottom line of my review; 21 Jump Street, the movie, deserves a two thumbs up! 21 Jump Street is a 2012 Action / Comedy film that is directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, and based on the 1980's television series. The screenplay is penned by Michael Hall and produced by Stephen J. Cannell and Neal H. Moritz; with a score composed by Mark Mothersbaugh. Rotten Tomatoes gave the film an approval rating of 85%, and Metacritic assigned a rating of 69%; with a 7.2 out of 10 star rating on IMDb. 21 Jump Street was released into theaters nationwide in March of 2012. The DVD / Blu-Ray release date for the film was in June of that same year. In conclusion, 21 Jump Street (2012) was both a critical and box office hit.

I have never seen the television series 21 Jump Street, so I can't compare and contrast the film with that. That being said, 21 Jump Street, the movie, was hilarious. Most comedies today are either simply not humorous, or are just plain insulting to watch. But, this film is definitely an exception. The laughs are, for the most part, non-stop until the end of the second act; then, we start into the action and true "cop" sequences. Channing Tatum is well cast as Jenko / Brad McQuaid, and many other actors in this film give interesting and good performances. I would like to specifically point out that I highly enjoyed how this film "connected"; in other words, almost everything in this project, somehow, paid off in the middle or end. Visual and verbal cues and hints, throughout the film, were given about each character and section of the storyline; making this a very-well thought out and planned film.

Unfortunately, I cannot give this film a 10 out of 10 star rating, and here's why. I am not a Jonah Hill fan, never will be. Yes, he delivers funny lines throughout the film, and yes, he is a decent actor. I hate that I have to deduct an entire star for simply not liking Jonah Hill, but what has to be done has to be done. I am taking yet another star off the film because certain scenes, especially towards the end of the film, seem a bit unnecessary and / or a little too ridiculous to seem even just a tad bit plausible. However, those two minor negative aspects cannot stop me from highly recommending 21 Jump Street (2012). Seriously, see this movie if you want to enjoy a "funny" Comedy. My overall rating of 21 Jump Street (2012); 8 out of 10 stars.

Nice Comedic Remake of Original

Author: view_and_review from California
20 November 2014

21 Jumpstreet is rehashed as a comedy and it worked!? Go figure. There are not many remakes that are good in any respect, so for 21 Jumpstreet to be done again and done as a comedy no less was a real win.

This movie had excellent writers. Jonah Hill is a funny guy anyway so I expected a reasonable performance from him but there were good performances all around. I think the movie did well to poke fun at itself along the way, it provided some genuinely funny moments.

The movie did fall into predictability towards the end. More accurately, the movie fell into a cliché ending. It seemed that the writers may have run out of steam. Even with that, the movie was funny enough and Ice Cube didn't wreck it with his terrible acting.