IMDb > 21 Jump Street (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
21 Jump Street

21 Jump Street More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Violence and profanity isn't funny

Author: Quietb-1 from United States
23 March 2012

The target audience for this one seems to be high school boys. The well deserved R rating presents a challenge to get them into the theater.

While comedy is subjective, and there are some laughs, the repeated foul language and shooting people isn't funny.

Jonah Hill won't get an award nomination for this performance. He puts on the same braces that Ben Stiller wore in "Something About Mary" a far better comedy. The overall average acting is exposed in a two minute cameo by one of the best actors of our time.

The end credit sequence is a total assault on the senses. No need to rush out to see this. It will be just as bad on DVD or cable shortly.

Had a feeling it would be bad, but it was worse than bad

Author: simondragnes-322-892660 from Denmark
15 July 2012

Just saw this with a friend. Saw the trailer, and thought that it looked a bit pointless, but gave it a chance anyway. The two main characters didn't have any chemistry, if you ask me. Nothing in the movie was realistic. It's annoying to see a movie with cops, who is that stupid. Ice Cube can't be taken seriously as a boss in a police stationen, with a street gangster attitude. If you like the series, don't watch this, something will happen that ruins the old classic, just avoid. I really don't get why so many people like this, maybe someone just voted 9-10, to trick others. If this is the future for other movies, I'm just watching my old movies again, gladly. Me and my friend don't agree on every movie, but we both think this was the worst this year. On to the next....

disgusting unfunny filth

Author: mike rollins from United States
7 May 2012

I'll make this short and sweet as I'm not even sure IMDb will allow me to post a review of what may be seen as a minority opinion.

Aside from being overall a waste of time and not funny, what really disgusted me is there are a ton of crude gay oral sex references in this film. Literally, it's as if the writers were paid on a 100% commission to insert as many explicit and implicit gay oral jokes or innuendo into the film as possible. The film projects the image that virtually most of the characters in the film harbor gay urges. I've noticed this self deprecating punch line is being inserted into quite a bit of comedies.

Spoilers: The scene towards the end where the one character has his privates shot off and then has to pick it up with his mouth because he is handcuffed is revolting, disgusting, not funny and should have never made it past the censors. In an earlier scene a character makes a crack about forcing another to wear a snorkel mask and that they will then defecate into it. This is not funny, it's disgusting and sophomoric at best.

In closing, Hollywood please stop with the disgusting bathroom humor and the relentless gay agenda. Also, knock it off with the fake reviews on here, there's no way this piece of garbage is a 7.6, me personally i would give it zero stars if i could,but i would bet without the fake reviews this would rate a 4.0 Same with that sleep inducing garbage from last year: "Drive".

Finds a nice ground between entertaining and hysterical

Author: blackmambamark from United States
23 February 2012

On the surface, this movie looks like it would be somewhat mediocre. But it's actually pretty damn good. When you're not laughing your pants off (and believe me, you will be), you'll have no problem being just plain entertained by it's ability to just have fun. It does a great job of not only avoiding giant cliché's, but making fun of them in the process. Jonah Hill will have you laughing, and Channing Tatum actually did a good job in this movie.......not surprising seeing that the role called for him to be a douche bag. Which once again, is something to chuckle about. Towards the end, the movie does tend to drag on, but has no problem pulling you right back into it's fun. As far as comedies go, this is a pretty good way to start off 2012

This was literally the worst movie I have seen in a while

Author: dixie211425 from United States
7 March 2012

I liked the original show. I knew that this movie wouldn't be as good. I wasn't prepared for how horrible it was. If I had my own car with me I would have walked out. They took what was good about the show and threw it away. The movie is set in present day, over 20 years after the original show aired. It has Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum go undercover in a school to stop the flow of a new type of drug.

The cops break every law there is. At one point they teabag a criminal. They also break into the evidence room and steal some weed, give alcohol to minors, and consume drugs.

There were very few female characters, most didn't have names. The cast was almost completely white-washed. They used the word bitch way too often and I felt offended. Even the cameos from Johnny Depp, Holly Robinson Peete, and Peter DeLuise fell flat.

I wish I had those two hours of my life back.

21 junk street

Author: markthetranny from imdb
17 March 2012

An honest review. I can't understand why there are certain people who constantly hype this movie on the IMDb and criticise other better movies. I guess they must be paid to do so. Certainly seems plausible since I've now watched this crapfest. How bad is it? Do you remember the abysmal Ben Stiller butchering of Starsky and Hutch from a while back. 21 Jump Street is worse than that. Hardly surprising given that it stars Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. I've only seen Tatum in one movie before and he was a wooden, dull, boring plank in that. He's no better in this. As a leading man he's even more of a charisma vacuum than Chris O'Donnell.

Still at least he's better than Jonah Hill. Superbad wasn't just the title of his breakthrough movie its a description of his entire career.

He's been doing the same schtick in everything he does and if it was rubbish the first time it stinks like month old festering garbage now.

To make it clear I'm a fan of gross out stupid comedy but not when its as stupid and badly-acted as this. Don't pay to see this. The good reviews are fake. You'll thank me for the warning.

We Are All Stupider For Having Seen This

Author: Bruno Wang from San Francisco, CA
22 July 2012

I did not see this movie in the theaters and now I can honestly say I am really glad I didn't. After watching the DVD, I am still trying to figure out what the appeal is of this film. Is it Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum..? It does not make sense.

But for Bruno Wang, the most glaring aspect of this film, the one that makes it tank for me, is the fact that the film centers around a couple of oddly opposite misfits who wind up working for an undercover unit of the police department to infiltrate a synthetic drug ring and stop the drugs from spreading from one high school to many in the community. So the logic here is that drugs are bad, right? However, the movie then proceeds to glamorize the drug (HFS-which stands for Holy F*ing Sh*t) and shows 60s Batman-like graphics of the different phases of the drug's effects. Even more twisted is that one of the students dies after taking HFS. This is supposed to be funny?

The movie is based on the TV series and the plot is weak. Two guys, now in their mid 20s, who were at opposite ends of the social spectrum in high school (one a jock and one a nerd), meet back up again in police academy training where they figure out that their strong traits can help each other overcome their weaknesses and get them to pass the academy. Jonah Hill plays the nerd, Schmidt and Channing Tatum plays the jock, Jenko. Jenko helps Schmidt with the physical part of the training and Schmidt helps Jenko with the bookwork. Together they succeed in passing the academy where they are immediately assigned as park cops riding bicycles. In the park, they witness drug usage and wind up capturing one of the criminals but neglect to read him his Miranda rights. The screw up has them being reassigned to an undercover crime unit, 21 Jump Street. They are chosen for this because they have 'youthful looks' and supposedly will fit into a high school unnoticed.

The two wind up going back to their original high school posing as brothers and living in Schmidt's parents house. From here the movie is a strange mix of violence, drug humor and just bad plot. Schmidt and Jenko wind up accidentally trading identities while under the influence of HFS and now Jenko has to cut it with the nerds and Schmidt is hanging with the cool kids. The twist is that now the 'cool' kids are not the jocks, but the ones who are environmentalists and activists...and, in this case, also drug dealers.

Schmidt and Jenko are supposed to find the supplier of the drug before the drug spreads. After one massive failure after another they do eventually discover that it is the PE teacher, played by Rob Riggle. Riggle's role is the most unbelievable of all and really waters the film down. We have this half-cocked PE teacher who supposedly stumbles on to a formula for a synthetic drug and he now is supposedly dealing with underworld figures and guns etc.

Yes, there is a love interest, Schmidt is supposedly falling for one of the high school girls, Molly, who is in with the 'in' crowd in which Eric, played by Dave Franco. But again, here's a plot twist that is borderline sick, e.g., a 20 something guy hitting on a high school chick?

There is also a cameo appearance by original 21 Jump Street DEA Agents Tom Hanson (Johnny Depp) and Doug Penhall (Peter DeLuise) near the end of the film. Sadly, this is one film that not even Johnny Depp can save. The whole film is just a disturbingly bad amount of really stupid humor and, pretty much, unbelievable plot line. It leaves you feeling a little numb and dumb. I give this movie a Bruno Wang 1.5 stars out of 5. The laughs are few and far between and the plot appears written by a thirteen year old.

Seriously NOT 21 JUMP STREET

Author: i_love_joey_08 from Argentina
31 May 2012

I watched the REAL 21 Jump Street and this is no where close to being called the same thing. 21 Jump Street was clean for teenagers to watch. It gave good advice to kids. It brought up subjects that kids dealt with. They did blow up cars or destroy a city. This should not have been called 21 Jump Street. Another thing mostly everyone in the REAL 21 Jump Street looked sexy and young. Neither the two guys in this show even looked their age. They both looked fat, ugly, annoying and pathetic. Also Hanson and Duggy would not have been killed at the end of the movie. They wouldn't have been that pathetic to look away while apprehending criminals. I think if someone stupid says this is good they need to go back and watch the REAL 21 Jump Street then can talk. Hanson and Duggy brought down kids in school with class and dignity not destruction and degrading ways. Why must they say the F word thru the entire movie, every second. I mean come on. This could have been a better movie if they had actually watched 21 Jumpstreet. Also those kids they had in school does not fit how kids are now. Kids are not into the tree hugging crap or two straps. Nah I'm sorry this movie was a HUGE disappointment to society. Don't WATCH

Funny film with some shipshape moments, tremendous laughs and ace action.

Author: The_Riddler_1948
5 June 2014

Ah, I love this film - somewhat hilarious and has exciting action scenes, amazing on-screen chemistry and genuine (b)romance. It's like the perfect blend of both action and comedy, with some minor dramatic scenes and little adds here and there. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum, admittedly, are ace in this film. They're simply hilarious and they're a great team. One's a little bit of a dork, quite chubby and funny (Jonah Hill), and the other's "hot", apparently, and is slim, quite-built and rather tall....in comparison (Channing Tatum).

21 Jump street is a laugh-a-minute thrill ride of an action-comedy that never fails, as it lives up to its expectations (if you've not seen it, you'll be left satisfied....and you may need to change your pants!)Better than most action-comedies out there and it has better stars too. They're great working together - almost as good a pair as Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey.

Overall, a very funny action-comedy with great stars and favourable moments. I wonder if the second one surpasses it. Thanks for reading.

A disappointment

Author: Ncstategirl19956 from United States
28 June 2012

After reading so many good reviews about this movie, I decided to check it out! I was really excited because everyone said it was hilarious. I was very disappointed from the beginning as all the funny scenes from the commercials that I had seen were in the first 2 mins of the movie. I will say, however, that the movie started off well and was quite funny, but once the two cops entered high school, it all went down hill! Most of the jokes were inappropriate and I'm not saying that inappropriate jokes aren't funny it's just that they were basically the same joke over and over again and it got old very quickly. The rest of the movie was rather slow and seemed to drag on in the middle and the end was just very predictable. Overall I would NOT recommend seeing this movie, unless you like wasting your money!

Page 2 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]