IMDb > "Breaking Bad" Bit by a Dead Bee (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Breaking Bad: Bit by a Dead Bee (#2.3)"

"Breaking Bad" Bit by a Dead Bee (2009)

« Prev | 10 of 62 Episodes | Next »

Making excuses

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
5 October 2012

Having survived their run in with Tuco, Walt and Jesse must think fast to avoid trouble; Walt must find a reason to have disappeared to give his wife and Jesse must create an alibi as he knows that the DEA found his car at Tuco's place. Walt's plan is simple... he hitches a lift out of the desert, walks into a supermarket, strips naked then tells everybody he has absolutely no memories of the previous two days. This works a charm until his psychiatrist says he may have to stay in hospital while they investigate his amnesia. Jesse's plan is even more risky; after clearing the gear out of his basement he goes to a motel with a prostitute and gets his friend Badger to tell the police his whereabouts. He just has to hope they can't prove he wasn't in the room for the last three days. Hank still has no idea who is making the new high grade methamphetamine but he is starting to suspect that there must be a connection between Krazy-8's disappearance, the events and Tuco's place and the theft from the chemical store; he just can't quite see the link.

There may have been relatively little action in this episode but it was still pretty good; I really liked how Walt and Jesse came up with very different ways to get out of their immediate predicament. Of course they still have problems; Jesse lost all his earnings as his money was in his car and he couldn't admit it was his to the DEA, Walt still can't explain the second mobile phone and with Tuco dead they will have to find another way to shift their product. Despite the lack of violence there were still tense moments; it looked as if Jesse's alibi would be blown apart when Tuco's uncle was brought in and asked about him... even though he didn't say a word Mark Margolis did a great job in the role.

"What's changed Jesse?"

Author: turtleggs from Turkey
13 July 2012

Tonight's episode is not jaw dropping like previous episode "Grilled", but it is fine episode.

In this episode, aftermath of "Grilled", Walt and Jesse make a plan to explain their whereabouts for the last 3 days, then they split up.

Walt goes to a supermarket naked, and pretends he lost his memory of what happened last 3 days. But when he learned he will be kept at hospital until doctors learn about his condition, he solves his problem easier by telling another lie to his doctor.

Meanwhile Jesse follows his part of the plan. With the help of his old friend Badger and his cousin, he moves meth lab and RV to somewhere "safe." Then he make himself arrest to DEA and tells his lies to Walt's brother-in-law Hank.

I really thought in the scene where Tuco's uncle is in interrogation room with Hank and Jesse, he will just rings his bell to give police the truth and have Jesse prisoned. But we later learned that he spent his 25 years in jail without snitching any of his accomplices.

Walt and Jesse rescues themselves from their situations. Jesse calls Walt, and Walt is eager to cook meth again. Jesse asks him how can he wants to cook after all they've been through, and Walt replies: "What's changed Jesse?" This quote is like motto of the show. After everything, life goes on. Tuco is killed, but his uncle doesn't say a word and life goes on. Walt is nearly killed, but that events are over and he wants to raise seven thirty-seven for his family no matter what.

A good episode. My vote is 8/10.

Walt comes up with a plan to get himself and Jesse off the hook

Author: George (RicinBeans94) from United Kingdom
20 May 2014

"My wife is seven months pregnant with a baby we didn't intend. My fifteen-year old son has cerebral palsy. I am an extremely overqualified high school chemistry teacher. When I can work, I make $43,700 per year. I have watched all of my colleagues and friends surpass me in every way imaginable and within eighteen months, I will be dead. And you ask why I ran?"

'Bit by a Dead Bee' is another important episode of Breaking Bad. It is a prime example of how this show really mastered the art that is creating good television. In the first episode of this season, we saw the build-up to the big events that happened in the top quality 'Grilled'. Now, in the third episode of the season, we see the fall-out from those events. Bryan Cranston does more excellent work here as Walt hatches a plan to explain his disappearance, while also knowing that Jesse needs a good alibi.

This is the first time that Hank and Jesse meet and it's an excellent scene for both Dean Norris and Aaron Paul. Hank seems sure that Jesse is lying about his three-day party with Wendy, but cannot prove it - yet. He thinks he can break Wendy, but this goes wrong when she remembers him from when he visited with Walter Jr. and she thought he wanted her to 'do that kid!'. Despite this, Hank and Gomez have one more card to play - Tio Salamanca. It's great to see Tio's return, especially as we realise that he is old school and would never talk to the DEA. So, Jesse is let off the hook.

Walt, meanwhile, reveals to his psychiatrist a certain degree of the truth in the speech I quoted at the top of the review. Of course, he fails to mention that they were kidnapped by a psychopathic drug dealer. The most heartbreaking scene of the episode is surely when Walt visits his house in the night and catches a glimpse of what his family's life would be like without him. The question that keeps coming up is whether or not what he is doing 'for his family' is actually worth it. Is he in fact losing them in the process?

Just as when Krazy-8 was killed in '...And the Bag's in the River', it's unclear where the story will go now. Tuco's grill is all that remains of him, so who will Walt and Jesse partner up with next? This was a slower episode, but it was still full of quality, as this show always is.

9.2/10

Breaking Bad - Bit by a Dead Bee

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
9 September 2013

Jesse's car was at the crime scene where Hank killed Tuco in a gunfight. Jesse's sought after by the cops for his potential dealings with Tuco, the drug dealer. After hiking it across hot desert, hitching a ride in a truck, Walt is soon found in a grocery store…naked. Walt is hospitalized and plays up having a physiological "incident" to his cancer doctor and nursing staff. Jesse, in the mean time, removes the meth cooking items and drugs (back in the Winnebago, having a guy tow it to a safe location) and is soon arrested in a motel room with hooker/addict, Wendy, by Hank and the DEA. Walt will need to be tested and go through therapy in order to analyze and determine what caused his "fugue state". Walt tells a "medical practitioner" (a psychologist with the pen and notepad) about simply wanting to 'get out of the damn house' and walk as far as he could, explaining that with all the accumulating troubles (his son with cerebral palsy, his cancer, an unplanned pregnancy) he felt he needed to escape for a while. Tio, and the bell, return, with Hank hoping he'll implicate Jesse. But Tio hates cops so this little idea doesn't go according to plan! Tio gives the DEA an answer regarding Jesse…he passes gas in the interrogation room! Stroke or no stroke, Tio isn't about to give Hank or the DEA jack squat. Walt had slickly escaped from his hospital room, taking a quick trip back home to hide his meth loot, and then trekked back without getting caught. There was a cool moment where Walt looks up and sees a Missing poster with his face and name…irony, gotta love it. Though, Jesse gets off with no strong evidence tying him to Tuco, Hank is celebrated and recognized by his colleagues at the office. Walt still plans to cook, much to Jesse's surprise. Walt's release from the hospital with no Tuco in the way opens new doors for him (the "grill" on Tuco's front teeth were given to Hank encased in a cube for his job taking the drug dealer down by the DEA!), while Hank tries to piece together the circumstances revolving around the warehouse heist (involving Jesse and Walt). Skyler can't shake the "second cell phone", and Walt denies having one when questioned. The lies continue.

They are back

Author: tenshi_ippikiookami
9 January 2016

...from their kidnapping. So White and Pinkman will have to find a way to justify their absence.

And the writers do a decent job, even if both alibis are a little bit far-fetched (specially White's). But it's barely possible to have suspension of disbelief and accept the plot developments. It should be better done, but it is enjoyable enough.

In the acting department, Cranston is suffering a little bit of repetition, as he struggles against Anna Gunn's Skyler. His acting is a little bit bland in these last couple of episodes, and Paul and Gunn express more without overacting (ok, Paul shouts a little bit too much, but his character asks for it).

In summary, the show is advancing, as slow as ever, but at least it keeps the viewer attention.

Bit by a Dead Bee

Author: Dibyayan Chakravorty from India
21 October 2015

Having gotten away from Tuco, Walt and Jesse now have to get home and explain where they have been. Walt has a plan and they split up. He goes to a supermarket and takes off all of his clothes while walking around the aisles. He is hospitalized and claims to have no memory of where he has been for the last few days. Jesse returns to his house to clean out the basement and get rid of the RV. When the DEA track him down, he claims that he has been shacked up with a prostitute for the weekend. The police don't believe him and think they know how to nail him: they bring in Tuco's uncle to identify him, but he refuses to cooperate with the authorities.

Bit by a Dead Bee (#2.3)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
26 December 2013

After the craziness of the past two episodes the show provides us a slower one to calm our nerves. Still a great episode that has many great moments.

Walt and Jesse return back, but they need to come up with ideas of what they say happened to them. Walt ends up naked in some supermarket pretending it was a sort of a medical situation and Jesse tries to find good alibi, although Hank makes it hard for him.

My favorite scenes in this episode was Jesse being questioned by Hank. Dean Norris is a great actor, because I still like Hank even though he is so nasty to my favorite character on the show! It was all very amusing, especially when Tuco's uncle comes and proves that he knows on what planet he is. I am just wondering, why did he not say that he saw Jesse?

Very, Very Good!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
5 May 2014

The third episode in the second season of Breaking Bad is a step down from the previous episode, but it's still an incredible, fast-paced episode. This is an episode which I like to call a bridge episode. This is the connecting episode which connects one big event to another big event. That being said, it's still truly an entertaining episode.

In this episode, "Bit by a Dead Bee," after Walt and Jesse were able to escape Tuco, Walt has come up with a plan to explain their disappearance. Walt was decides to strip naked in a supermarket and claims he has dementia. Jesse returns to his house to get rid of all their equipment. Eventually, Jesse gets taken in and the cops don't believe his alibi of his connection with Tuco.

Overall, I've seen better episodes in this series but still, this episode is almost perfect. A great and a very much realistic episode especially when it comes to the suspicions of Skylar. This episode ends in a very good cliffhanger which foreshadows of what is to come. I rate this episode 9/10.