IMDb > "Breaking Bad" ABQ (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Breaking Bad: ABQ (#2.13)"

"Breaking Bad" ABQ (2009)

« Prev | 20 of 62 Episodes | Next »

Butterfly Effect

Author: turtleggs from Turkey
14 August 2013

Jesse wakes up and discovers the death of Jane. Saul's PI Mike comes and cleans the place. But it doesn't clean the heart of Jesse. As a result Jesse loses himself in addiction, and Walt saves him from being a pathetic drug addict. He goes to rehab center.

Walt is ready for surgery. Right before he passes out, he reveals his second cell phone secret to Skyler, accidentally. This makes her suspicious and Sky delves deeper into web of lies created by Walt. She reveals Walt's lies one by one.

Jane's father, Donald is desperate after his daughter's death. He returns to his job, air controller, but his still alive grief causes a horrible accident.

This episode is the good example for butterfly effect. Small changes, has big, much bigger effects. In previous episode, Walt let Jane die. As I wrote it, I said he sacrificed her to save Jesse. But he also sacrificed many people, indirectly. The death of Jane killed his father, at heart. His grief effected his job, and a careless air controller created a chaos. We'll see if Walt's gonna realize he caused this accident.

Also, there is another story arc waiting for us next season. Skyler learned everything about Walt, except his job as a drug dealer. She knows Walt paid for his treatment, hundred thousand dollars came from him. She now suspects Walt is doing illegal business. Next season will show us whether "Walt" or "Heisenberg" face Skyler with his real job. This revelation will change the story for sure.

Also one last note for Jesse. He's really broken after Jane's death. Now that he's in rehab, he really needs to shake and clean himself from drugs. I'm waiting for him to join Walt in season 3, but can he keep him away from drugs, while working in drugs.. I don't know. But for now he needs to forget Jane.

If this season finale made me wrote so much about these characters, then Vince Gilligan and his friends are on the right track.

My vote is 10/10. Excellent season finale. Must see TV!

Groundbreaking finale...

Author: Red_Identity from United States
10 February 2011

The last episode of the 2nd season of Breaking Bad trails off from where the previous episode had left. After the tragedy, the characters finally have to deal with the turmoil, especially Jesse and even Walter.

In the last episode Walter White has a great moment, one of the best moments in the show so far, where listening to a father talk about his daughter's flaws opened his eyes to how much he cares about Jesse. I mean, he has worked with Jesse all this time, and it seems that they are both always conflicting against one another, but in this moment he realized that he loves Jesse in a way that is similar to his son. He has to deal with Jesse mourning and this is breaking him inside. I have to say that Aaron Paul has risen up to the challenge and has been simply magnificent in this second season, especially these last three episodes.

In other turn of events, there is a confrontation between Walter and Skyler. Anna Gunn gave an effective and realistic performance here, and it's not difficult to sympathize with her and see her reasons. The last scenes of the show also answers some questions about the recurring scene with the pink teddy bear.

I can't wait to start seeing the 3rd season and it's a good thing they are reruns and I only have to wait a week.

It's Not That Huge of a Season Finale Compared to Future Season, But Still Ends Up Being a Flawless Episode

Author: axel-koch from Austria
8 November 2013

Sorry for leaving out the introduction, but I just have to say in my first sentence that "ABQ" is an unexpectedly great season finale. Not that it has any really groundbreaking events as the final episodes of further seasons do, but simply how Vince Gilligan and Adam Bernstein realized these 45 minutes is magnificent. I'm adapting a slightly abridged review style so I can point out all the great things about "ABQ" as shortly as possibly.

• the extended edit of the terrific black and white opening scene of "Over" that gives you chills in the first minute already. A perfectly shot foreshadowing and a perfect way to engage the audience's interest.

• the introduction of Jonathan Bank's character who shares a fantastic scene with the devastated Aaron Paul.

• being able to get a look at the DIA standpoint again was nice and having a donation box for Walt going through the room while they are talking about his alter ego Heisenberg was just a brilliant directorial idea.

• another scene at Hank's office that has a huge surprise was Walt's new colleague Gus stopping by. Besides an outstanding conversation between Dean Norris and Giancarlo Esposito, the two coming to talk about Walt is what makes the scene really awesome.

• Walt's interesting reaction to Walt Jr. succeeding with his safewalterwhite-website.

• the scene Walt and Jesse share at the rehab facility. Their talk isn't really worth to single out, but the weird set design is – reminding me of 2001: A Space Odyssey is a remarkable achievement.

• Skyler's momentous decision at the end of the episode and the build-up to it. Surprisingly, even her explanations were interesting to hear while I consider it a great idea to for once dress Walt in bright colors just for this scene. And, do I even have to mention it? Bryan Cranston's and Anna Gunn's acting is top-notch.

• how excellently Jane's father Donald is integrated in the story and how perfectly made the last minutes of "ABQ" are. Admittedly, the VFX aren't the best, but the scene itself is enough to blow you away.

And for the bad parts of this episode: well, there weren't any. "ABQ" is just an amazing season finale and, in my humble opinion, the best Breaking Bad episode up to that point.

The morning after the night before

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
11 October 2012

When Jesse wakes in the morning he finds Jane dead and despite his desperate attempts to resuscitate her it is far too late. He calls Walt and he says he knows somebody who can help; that person is of course Saul Goodman and he sends somebody round to clean up. This cleaner wipes the scene clean and removes all incriminating evidence before telling Jesse to call the authorities and tell them he just woke and found her like that. Later on, as the ambulance crew are dealing with her, her father arrives and surprisingly there is no confrontation. Walt meanwhile is feeling awkward as donations start flooding into his son's donation website; his family think it is a testament to people's generosity when Walt knows it is mostly his laundered money coming in. When he goes for his operation he is given an anaesthetic and as it takes effect he tells an accidental truth that looks likely to have severe consequences for his marriage. As the episode comes to an end we finally learn about the burnt pink teddy bear floating in the pool that we've been glimpses of since the season's opening scene.

This was a great end to the second season; it featured some of the most harrowing moments to date as Jesse and Donald Margolis deal with Jane's death. John de Lancie, best known for playing the somewhat annoying Q in various Star Trek series did a great job as her father Donald; you could see the character's world falling apart from his face alone as he saw the ambulance and instinctively knew what it meant. Aaron Paul was also on top form as he depicted Jesse spiralling out of control and ending up in such a state that he would have died if Walt hadn't come after him. After Walt's seemingly unstoppable rise it was nice to see his life suffer a set back when Skyler caught him lying. The reveal concerning the burnt teddy bear was as explosive as it was shocking; it was obviously a bit of a coincidence that something so poignant should end up in Walt's pool but good drama frequently relies on such coincidences. After this shocking conclusion I am glad I won't have to wait long before I can start season three!

Season 2: Settles in really well and gets the pacing and content pretty much spot on aside from some late contrivances (SPOILERS)

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
6 November 2011

When I finally got around to watching the first season of this show I did have to make an effort to put aside any hype I had heard and not take any weight of expectations in with me based on people throwing around praise for it. I mostly achieved this because it is unfair on the show and also risks me not liking it on terms I have in my head rather than on its own. Anyway, I generally felt that the first season came over like a long pilot – it seemed not totally sure of itself and the pacing and tone was not quite as consistent or strong as I would have liked; it showed plenty of potential and did more than enough to engage and interest me, but it did feel like a pilot season.

The second season opens with much more of a sense of confidence about it and while it is the same it definitely feels like it knows itself a bit better. The overall sweep of the season was much better paced and got the mix of content and the tone really good. I had worries at the start of the season because I felt that almost too much was happening too quickly; we pick right up after the end of the first season and within the very two episodes not very much time has passed but a LOT has happened (and a lot of very "big" stuff as well). This worried me because I didn't think it would be a good idea to keep it up at this rate – this is not 24 and the action was almost too rapid and too dramatic. Fortunately the show does slow down after these opening episodes and from there we do continue to have ongoing events and twists and turns, but they vary in nature, in focus and in scale so that I didn't feel I was being rushed or bombarded with overly intense drama.

Instead we have personal drama infused with the drama of the business of drug dealing. We have comic realities of the business constantly being taught to Walt in the school of hard-knocks and we have his constant battle to do right by his family while also deceiving them and changing from the man they love into the man he needs to be to look after them. Indeed it is this personal battle within Walt that is the best part of the season and it is brought to the fore really well. Of course it helps that Cranston is terrific across the show – he gets his character totally and he convinces in every mode, he has moments of doubt but his focus and determination takes him down roads that he only seems to morally consider later – and this is where his personal battle is, often played silently on his face and just behind his eyes. He is equally well supported by Paul (albeit his character is simpler) and of course Gunn and Norris (the latter doing good work with more material this time).

It isn't all perfect though and I did find the last few episodes to be a little disappointing. In particular I found some of the plotting devices to be really quite contrived and not fitting the rest of the show. So I just about went along with Walt meeting Jane's father at random in a bar to unknowingly discuss the same situation (that was a nice tragic moment that was good enough for me to overlook the way it came about), but for the "build-up" of the bear in the pool and the crime-scene at Walt's house to then be caused by a plane crash directly above the house caused by Jane's father, just seemed to silly and too contrived for it to work on me as much as I would have liked – if anything it did make me feel a little disappointed that this had been the thing "teased" through the season only for it to be one of the weakest of all the many events through the season. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me because I did love the rest of the season a great deal, it just seemed out of character for the show and disappointingly random.

The second season of this show really did please me. It provided plenty of big moments of intensity and drama but it balanced these well with just as many character-driven moments and in particular seemed much more confident in regards the character of Walt- who is the heart of the show. The things I was disappointed in did bug me, but they were the minority of the show – the majority of it was stronger and improved from the first season, all moving in the right direction to make a very enjoyable and engaging season. I suspect it will not be very long before I am starting on the third season.

Excellent Finale!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
25 May 2014

This is the thirteenth episode of the second season of Breaking Bad and up to this point, this may be the best episode yet. As for finales go, this blows away the finale of Season 1. This has many shocking moments, such outstanding dialogue, solid visual effects, great acting especially by Cranston and Anna Gunn.

In this episode, "ABQ," Jesse blames himself for the death of Jane so he enters himself into rehab. Meanwhile, as Walt is about to go under the knife, he accidentally let something slips which has a dominoes effect as Skylar is fed up with his lies.

Overall, this is an incredible episode full of many intense moments. It's emotional on a high level and just a smart, well-written episode that has not one, but several shockers. Bring on the third season! I rate this episode 10/10.

Review of the 2st season: Overall 9/10

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
8 November 2015

Greetings from Lithuania.

"Breaking Bad" season 2 was better then the 1st in all directions. Although story has some bumps here and there which could have been avoided, nevertheless this season has more strait plot in comparison to the 1st one. Acting is a bit better here, characters are more expanded.

Season 2 presented some of the most unforgettable scenes i have ever saw. The sequence with the turtle in Mexico and shocking act that follows in the same scene are simply unforgettable. The episode were two leads were captured by Tuco was also magnificent. Writing is excellent, yet again almost every line in here leads somewhere.

Overall, season 2 is a great improvement in season 1 terms. It adds new characters, which are always interesting to watch and listen. Cinematography here become more epic and not a TV style. Overall, it's a 9/10 for season 2.

Abq (#2.13)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
27 December 2013

An incredible season finale. It is absolutely perfect and very exciting and well done.

Jesse's reaction to dead Jane when he wakes up is horrifying, the poor guy having to go through it. Wonderfully acted by Aaron Paul. And it is also great to see Walt taking care of him, nice to see the relationship of these two characters getting stronger.

John de Lancie, who plays Jane's father is great as well. It is painful to see him witnessing his daughter dead. And the ending is so big with him causing the plane crash. This explains all those weird scenes we kept on seeing through the season.

And Skylar found many lies of Walt so she leaves him. Wonder what will happen with it net season. A part of me is happy that she won't be on that often anymore.

For All of the Staff, I Thank You

Author: ladylealegendary
16 February 2017

Thank you Aaron Paul for making me so close to tears as you painfully grieved the loss of the woman you loved most. Thank you Bryan Cranston for getting stronger in your character as you deal with conflicted feelings between work and family. Thank you Dean Norris for being so damn funny as a comic relief to the dark drama. Thank you Anna Gunn for getting on my nerves as the "typical" woman who waits for the last minute to candidly confront her spouse. Thank you RJ Mitte for making the best of cerebral palsy and making me question whether you actually had to because of how well you perform. Thank you Vince Gilligan who brilliantly makes this show iconic and memorable.

This has to be the best episode that aired since the beginning. The emotions are so bleak and dark, no one walks away happy as a result. Jesse loses Jane, Donald grieves over his only daughter, Skylar has stopped believing in Walt's lies and Walt actually becomes a better liar. I love how much character development has come from Walt's character. He is much more gruesome refusing to allow any ills to befall his family. Letting Jane die was a very wise move by the staff behind the screen. If Jane had survived this, I don't see Jesse ever growing up and starting to become a real asset for Walt's schemes. Jesse's "bad boy" routine was excellent in the previous episodes so I'm more than happy that Paul finally landed a serious role. I'm excited to see where they're going to take his character and I can't wait to see what happens with Donald and the plane collision. I loved the little sneak peak with Gus Fring as he donated money to Walt's charity and his encounter with Hal. Now I'm really on the edge of my seat! There's too much excitement to be had from this episode to keep it confined in 1,000 words! Season 3 is next!

Amazing last episode of Season 2 !

Author: weibowil from Malaysia
1 December 2014

I just finished watching Season 2. Took ages to do it because the episodes during the middle part of the season were so ho-hum and mediocre... full of lies and dreary family dysfunction :(

But the penultimate episode was a stunner with a death, and then this finale was so well-written, it gets back to the level of Season 1's raw and gritty drama! The performances were amazing.. especially Jesse's weeping, utter pain and devastation at his girlfriend's death. And also Walt's facial expressions of guilt when his son called him a hero in front of the TV cameras. As well as Skyler's quiet but firm confrontation with her husband before she left. Great writing and acting. Pure excellence once again!