IMDb > That's My Boy (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

And Now The Excited Southerner Makes a Stupid Movie

Author: D_Burke from United States
17 May 2012

A dumb lead character in a comedy can result in a funny movie. However, if every other character is dumb enough to be even slightly charmed by a vulgar, drunken, slovenly 41-year-old man with an annoying voice who looks like a washed-up Guns N Roses roadie, plausibility flies right out the window, and so do the laughs.

"That's My Boy" has more promise in its male leads than it ultimately delivers. After all, Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg have a lot more in common besides initials. They're both Saturday Night Live alumni who made names for themselves by writing original, funny songs. They also both practically single-handedly revitalized SNL's popularity by attracting a younger following.

You would think a movie starring both of them would showcase each of their talents. Unfortunately, in "That's My Boy", Samberg was restricted to a straight man role, while Sandler routinely eats scenery with his atrocious Boston accent that sounds more Louisianan.

The film's premise does not leave much room for laughs as it is. Sandler plays Donny, a native of Somerville, Massachusetts who, when he's 13 years old, has a thing for older women, particularly his teacher, Miss McGarricle (Eva Amurri Martino).

When Miss McGarricle takes too much of a liking to the young Donny, they have sex, they get caught, and Miss McGarricle gets pregnant. She bears a son, but gets sentenced to 30 years in prison.

In a contrived, totally unrealistic plot point that only serves as fodder for jokes later on in the film, young Donny is ordered by the court, who apparently had never heard of child care services, to raise his newborn son. Even more unrealistically, Donny becomes a celebrity, sells his life story for six figures, and blows his money away.

The second part of that scenario rubbed me the wrong way already. Do you remember the name of the boy with whom 6th grade teacher Mary Kay Letorneau had sex? I don't. That boy was featured in the New York Times, but not on the cover of Teen Beat!

Anyway, Donny's son Todd (Samberg) grows up to become a successful hedge fund manager, but only after moving away from Donny when he turned 18 (Again, child services anyone?). Donny, on the other hand, spends his money so irresponsibly that he ultimately owes $43,000 in back taxes.

When he finds out about Todd's engagement to beautiful Jamie (Leighton Meester), Donny convinces a TV talk show host to pay him $50,000 for exclusive footage of Donny, Todd, and Todd's biological mother (still in jail) reuniting at last. Such a contrived plot point serves as the reason Donny shows up unannounced to Todd's wedding site days before the wedding.

Rather than the wedding party, consisting of Jamie's family and Todd's boss Steve Spirou (Tony Orlando), being repulsed by Donny's disheveled hair, ratty clothes, vernacular that consists of the f-word spoken every third sentence, and his irritating faux Boston accent, they somehow see his charm. It's surprising, because if a guy who acted like Donny showed up at my wedding, I would call security before he even opened his mouth.

Naturally, because Donny is a boy who never grew up, his shenanigans supposedly ruin Todd's plans for the perfect wedding. The usual cliché plot points happen when Donny and Todd have a falling out the night before the wedding, sentimental music borrowed from "Full House" reruns play during the night scenes, and the climax happens right when the bride and groom are taking their vows.

I should note that there's also a plot twist involving the bride that was so out of left field that it landed in another ball park. Without giving it away, I really wish the film hadn't gone there. That twist made me cringe far more than it made me laugh.

Add those hackneyed wedding movie story lines to Sandler's constantly disseminating his tired onslaught of fat jokes, penis gags, fart noises, antics revolving around elderly people having sex, and homophobic humor, and you've got "That's My Boy". The difference between him doing those jokes in this movie and his last movie, "Jack and Jill" (2011), is that here, when using an irritating voice, he doesn't cross dress.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't hate Adam Sandler. In fact, "Happy Gilmore" (1996), "The Wedding Singer" (1998), and "The Waterboy" (1998) still make me laugh both because the jokes are fresher and funnier, and because Sandler's character in those movies had heart. Here, he plays a buffoon so obnoxious you want to punch him in the face.

The other jokes not spoken by Sandler, but by other characters, fall flat 9 times out of 10. New York Jets coach Rex Ryan plays Sandler's financial adviser who happens to be a huge New England Patriots fan. Get it? Because he's actually the Jets coach in real life? Hardy har har!

Among the many cameos in this film, the only one that's genuinely funny is Vanilla Ice, who plays himself. He surprisingly does such a good job parodying his image from 20 years ago that Happy Madison Productions should actually give him his own movie.

However, Vanilla Ice's role in the movie reflected the problem of "That's My Boy": when Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg are in a movie together, the funniest person should not be Vanilla Ice! Sandler really needs to reevaluate his on-screen humor and his career. While his movies are making money, he's gradually losing credibility.

To paraphrase an earlier, funnier Sandler movie ("Billy Madison" (1995)), "That's My Boy" is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in this rambling, incoherent film was Sandler even close to anything that could be considered funny. Everyone in my screening room is now dumber for having seen it. I award this movie 2 out of 10 stars, and may God have mercy on Adam Sandler's soul.

Popular to hate Sandler these days.

Author: Ridge Maurer from United States
30 September 2012

Seems every movie Sandler does these days gets hated on. People saying this is the worst movie ever made in history...really? You people must not have seen many movies. Regardless of what Sandler does the rest of his career its now popular to point out how it sucks and not as funny as his old movies. I enjoyed this movie, laughing out loud several times. Sandler does a great job playing the father. The bachelor party scenes are epic, really feel for the characters. Uncle Vanny? Hilarious. At no point in this movie did I think "oh man this is the worst thing I've seen in my life." Had good feeling, good comedy, a solid entry to Sandlers recent works. Much much better than the one where he played his sister.

It wasn't that bad, I thought it was hilarious!

Author: karljohnson7991 from United States
16 July 2012

I do not see why there are so many people who hate on this movie, It is what it is, Its a comedy movie. In my opinion Sandler is going back to his comedic roots... I mean you cant tell me when he was on SNL and in some of his earlier movies he didn't act stupid, Maybe some of you reviewers are just getting old and don't know comedy anymore when you see it. See people need to stop critiquing a comedy like this based as though it was a movie in another genre. But thats just my opinion, If your looking for something funny I recommend seeing this. But you might need to be a specific age group, 12-36, I guess Sandler is tired of trying to make all you "old fools" laugh. Also Andy Samberg was great along with Will Forte and Nick Swardson, even though he only had like 4 lines.

By far the funniest Adam Sandler movie

Author: Greg Smith from United States
14 July 2012

I want to start off by saying I have never been so confused by movie reviews in my entire life. Did people watch the same movie I saw? That's My Boy is the funniest Adam Sandler movie and in my opinion the funniest movie I've ever seen. I did not go longer than 5 minutes without hysterically laughing at the scenes in this movie. As a fan of movies such as Wedding Crashers, Old School, Step Brothers, 21 Jump Street, Superbad, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall just to name a few, this has to be the funniest movie out of the bunch. If you're looking for more than just laughs, than maybe the movie might not be right for you. And do not go into an R rated comedy expecting no dirty jokes. This is Adam Sandler at his raunchiest and funniest.

Hilarious if you have the right attitude

Author: xcoderedx-1 from Santa Cruz
30 September 2012

The reviews for the movie are terrible and I went thinking negatively all ready. To be fair, Adam Sandler does act immature and pretty stupid throughout the movie, but lighten up folks. This is an "off-the-rails" type of comedy. Thus, it's R rated for good reason, and there's plenty of cursing without reason, but I laughed hard and often. I actually was doing homework while watching and drooled a little bit on my textbook from laughing so hard. The action in the movie didn't stop.

I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie with your parents. Maybe the movie isn't worth $9 at the theaters either, but if you're bored at home or wanting to rent a movie with some friends, definitely check this movie out! Hilarious.

If you thought 'Jack and Jill' was bad, you haven't seen anything yet !

Author: jamuller from United States
14 June 2012

For his last movie he broke a record with the Razzies Awards in getting 10 awards in every category such as Worst Movie, Worst Actor, etc. You would think he could not hit more rock bottom. That is unless you've been unfortunate to waste your hard earned money, and more importantly your time, in seeing this movie. Perhaps they will add a new category for this years awards so he can do another sweep and break last years record. I am not even going to comment on the movie itself in this review, as that is just even more time from my life I will not get back. I am going to turn on the TV and watch anything that's on to get my mind off this, even an infomercial on the Shake Weight, as that will still be orders of magnitudes better then this movie.

A loathsome, painfully unfunny affront to comedy

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
16 June 2012

That's My Boy is content with being a belligerent vulgarian comedy that it is willing to concoct any setup, any one-liner, or any character as long as it's on par with its irredeemable crude standard. It's first fatal flaw is that it erects so many raunchy situations that it completely undermines the characters that are involved in them, which is the whole reason we laugh. We laugh not at the situations themselves, but how these characters react to them. But this is only the icing on the cake of disgust.

Such topics covered in the film are teacher-student molestation, strippers, poor parenting, child abuse, browbeating the less fortunate, incest, and many more. Only Sandler would take such heartless and degrading topics and throw them all into a film where no wit, soul, or morals can be found. They are employed with such carelessness and such a disregard for humanity that it becomes utterly revolting. The only laughs to be found come from, not a main character, but one that shows up at the end of the film (something you should expect from a Happy Madison picture). He is Abdoulaye N'gom, who was also in the Sandler produced Grandma's Boy. How come somebody didn't think to put him as one of the side characters? The story can be summed up in fragmented words such as lazy, overwritten, camaraderie, inconsiderate, offensive, demeaning, and mean-spirited, but let's focus on the plot itself. It starts out on the ever-so bright note of teacher-student molestation, where young nitwit teenager Donny Berger is happily seduced by his teacher, Miss Mary McGarricle in a closet. It results in an unexpected pregnancy, where Miss McGarricle goes to prison, and their baby is left with the teenage Donny, who can barely take care of himself, let alone another child.

Donny names the kid "Han Solo Berger," and at eighteen, the kid becomes estranged from his parents, telling people they died in an explosion, changes his name to "Todd Peterson," and begins a new life. Donny (Sandler) went on to live off a six figure deal to sell his story to a Television show, and carelessly blew all the money, forgetting that he needed to pay taxes on the earnings. Donny now owes the IRS $43,000, and winds up striking a $50,000 deal with a filthy reality show executive to get him, Todd, and his mother (currently in prison) to do a reunion event on camera. It's scummy and outlandishly selfish.

Todd is Andy Samberg, who is stunned to see Donny show up uninvited and quickly tells his wife's family that he is a close friend of his, and this leads to some contrived shouting matches between the two as to how Donny was the worst parent ever. This is true. It's a too little, too late effort, but Donny decides it's time to make nice with Todd, so he stays at their house during the wedding to reconnect with his son, while trying to conceal the fact that he's only there for money.

This is yet another Sandler film I like to dub an "anti-character" study. First off, there is hardly a likable character in the film, except for Todd, who is just a poor man's version of a neurotic success story. The character Donny comes equipped with Sandler's most horrendous accent since his character in The Waterboy, and this could very well be Sandler's worst film in years (I have not seen Jack and Jill). It aims to go for the baddest of laughs, but due to the lack of discipline, plausibility in the writing (why isn't the baby given to child services?), and the removal of heart in its material, it's a middle finger to morals and an ode to chaotic, mean-spirited circumstances.

That's My Boy inhabits a world of such cruelty to almost everyone involved. The males are incompetent caricatures, motivated by ego and greed, the women are no better than the size of their breasts and buttocks, shown in a misogynistic light almost saying that women exist to either show off parts of their body or to be ditzy, foul-mouthed bimbos, and every middle-age side character is shown as an amoral horn-dog, both men and women alike. Remember Big Daddy? One of the few Adam Sandler films sort of slanted and aimed more for children? It involved a louse who is stuck raising an illegitimate kid for his best friend. You could sort of label That's My Boy the raunchy sequel to Big Daddy, an explain it extracted the heart and sentiment out of it. But saying that would give the film more purpose than it's entitled to. It's a loathsome, painfully unfunny affront to comedy.

Starring: Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Leighton Meester, Susan Sarandon, Will Forte, Nick Swardson, Peter Dante, and Abdoulaye N'gom. Directed by: Sean Anders.

Dear Adam Sandler... Please Give up...

Author: rhiggins517 from United States
15 July 2012

The basic storyline is this Adam Sandler gets his teacher pregnant, now he's mooching off his much more successful son. done. Thats it. No deep storyline, no meaning behind it just done.

But this is a comedy so the storyline doesn't really matter. So lets look at the jokes... uh... okay... so there are no jokes. There are a lot of crewed and stupid moments, particularly regarding sex, that are simply discussing, not funny. Thats the closest they get to a joke is making the audience puke their guts out until eyes bleed.

The acting is crap, the storyline is stupid, the is an unnecessary number of sexual "puns" (I put puns for lack of a better word but don't let that confuse you They don't make you laugh), and a ball rolling randomly across a keyboard could write a better script.

I'm sorry to say I was forced to watch this abomination at the drive in. I voted to go home but my brothers voted to stay so I was force feed this garbage after seeing Ted with Seth McFarlane (Funny movie) The good mood Ted put me in was beaten to death by this piece of garbage.

How does a dope like Sandler even have a career?

Author: mitchco10 from United States
1 August 2015

I have tried to watch this abortion of a film called "That's my Boy" a couple of times now , and all I can say is "Who is giving Adam Sandler money to make "films" , and who in the hell thinks this CRAP is funny"? If there was ever a reason to think our society is in it's last days , this "film" could be the biggest indicator of it. Raped by his high school teacher , Adam Sandler plays the lead and is idolized by his peers. THIS IS A PREMISE OF A MAJOR Hollywood MOVIE? WTF PEOPLE! I guess there are rape jokes , incest jokes , racist & sexist jokes all through this "film" . Is this any indication of what Sandler thinks about in his real life? And , another thing bothers me about Sandler's movies. How the hell does he get legitimate actors like Al Pacino and Susan Sarandon to appear in his crap? Pacino was in his previous piece of doo - doo, "Jack and Jill" , and Sarandon has a walk on in this "film". Now , of course , his latest fiasco , Pixels is playing , and , really people , don't support Sandler anymore! His "films" are just that. A filmy , disgusting slime that insult your stupidity , leave you feeling violated , and depleted of all intelligence. SANDLER , JUST GO AWAY , YOU NEED SERIOUS HELP!!!

How Do We Make Statutory Rape Funny?

Author: Chris_Pandolfi from Los Angeles, CA
15 June 2012

Why do I go into Adam Sandler movies with the hope that each new offering will be the one that redeems him as an actor, a writer, and a producer? You'd think I was a masochist or delusional or both; although I've willingly subjected myself some truly abominable projects of his in the past two years alone, including "The House Bunny," "Grown Ups," "Just Go With It," "Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star," "Zookeeper," and "Jack and Jill," I've also seen him expand his horizons towards more mature, more compelling endeavors like "Punch Drunk Love," "Reign Over Me," and "Funny People." Hell, he even won me over with "You Don't Mess with the Zohan," which certainly is of the same raunchy, tasteless caliber as most of his other films. He has surprised me before, and I live in hope that he will surprise me again.

I had to keep telling myself that as I sat through his newest film, "That's My Boy," in which Sandler doubles as the star and the producer. For him, and for everyone involved, this is a pathetic new low, representative of nothing apart from a desperate plea for attention. With its bizarre blending of disgusting toilet humor and heartfelt moments of drama, it exemplifies a complete lack of understanding on the filmmakers' part about who the movie was intended for. When you include a scene in which an obese stripper eats an omelet while using her legs to hang upside down from a pole, there is no conceivable way to believably work in a sentimental father/son bonding story. There is only one kind of audience this movie is made for, and I'm fairly certain it will respond more to the stripper than to any depiction of family drama.

The story begins in 1984, when a boy barely in his teens has sex with his hot female teacher, who quite willingly came onto him. They're eventually caught having sex in the school assembly room while, wouldn't you know it, a full assembly is in progress. The intent is obvious: To make light of recent news stories about female teachers seducing their male students. But hold on a minute. Imagine if the foundation of the plot had been an adult male teacher seducing his female student. Would we consider that funny? Of course not. We would rightfully think of the girl as a victim. So then why is it funny when the gender roles are reversed? Why is the boy a stud instead of a victim? In either case, this is statutory rape we're talking about, and the last time I checked, this was not suitable material for a comedy. What we have here is not only a glaring double standard but also a warped sense of humor. The filmmakers should be ashamed of themselves.

The affair resulted in the teacher's pregnancy, which in turn resulted in a thirty-year prison sentence for her. As for the teen, he was required to become a single parent to his child, a son he named Han Solo, until his eighteenth birthday. Initially, it turned out pretty good for him; he won the respect of his classmates, he became a teenage celebrity, and a TV movie based on his life was produced. But then we flash forward to the present day, at which point we find that the teen has grown into a slovenly, foulmouthed, beer-chugging slacker. His name is Donny Berger (Sandler), and if he wants to avoid a three-year prison sentence, he must pay the IRS $43,000 in back taxes. He strikes a deal with a sleazy talk show host: If he can film Han Solo reuniting with his mother (Susan Sarandon) in prison, he will pay Donny $50,000.

There's only one problem. Donny's now adult son (Andy Samberg), who has legally changed his name to Todd Peterson, hasn't spoken to his father in years and has made every effort to hide his past. Now a hopelessly neurotic diabetic, he has become a successful businessman and is engaged to woman named Christina (Leighton Meester). Donny tracks Todd down through a candid publicity photo, reenters his life the weekend before his wedding, and poses as Todd's oldest best friend. Even though he has the social skills of a drunk on a bender, Donny is inexplicably able to win over all of Christina's family. This would include her rather elderly grandmother (Peggy Stewart); not only does Donny masturbate to side-by-side photos of her as a young woman and as she appears today, he will also have sex with her. Yes, she initiates it. And yes, he willingly accepts her advances.

As the plot lumbers ahead, we see James Caan as a priest with a thick Irish brogue and a rotten temper, bear witness to a disgusting and completely unnecessary plot twist involving Christina and her testosterone-pumped military brother (Milo Ventimiglia), and endure a few visual jokes involving vomit and semen. We also watch as Vanilla Ice plays a parody of himself as Donny's best friend, made all the more unbearable by the fact that he's actually a pretty decent actor. All the while, we're expected not to laugh at the phony drama of Donny and Todd working towards repairing their relationship. The people behind "That's My Boy" make countless mistakes, but the biggest was to believe that this subplot could in any way, shape, or form be taken seriously. I take that back. The biggest mistake was making the film in the first place.

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]