IMDb > Due Date (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Due Date

Due Date More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Low brow version of what was done better by Steve Martin and John Candy.

Author: nosp-4 from United States
7 November 2010

This is a movie I was prepared to like because Robert Downey is an excellent actor and Zack G has proved to be a weird character who can be very funny in the right film.

But, it just doesn't work very well. This story has been done before, and with much better effect, in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. The two movies have a very similar story arc, but in the one case you have two very funny men playing actual mature adults who have differing personalities, and in the other you have two men who are immature imbeciles with differing personalities. The former are likable, while the latter are just annoying.

Zack G's character is just too bizarre to be credible, but at least you know where they are going with him. Downey, on the other hand, is an excellent actor badly miscast here. His demeanor is just too "dark" and his personality too brooding and cranky to play the part of a good family man trying at all costs to get home in time for his child's birth. To be honest, his character simply isn't very likable, and is sometimes just downright mean, even spitting in an innocent dog's face. This is in stark contrast to the frustrated everyman played by Steve Martin in P,T,&A - a person every traveler (stuck next to an obnoxious slob) understands implicitly. Another example of such a role being done to perfection is Jack Lemmon in The Out of Towners.

I suppose it didn't help that the theater was packed with very young children who had no business going to this movie. The very crude language, extensive drug imagery, and graphic masturbation scenes, while funny for adults, were grossly inappropriate for 5-12 year olds in the crowd. Some people clearly are not cut out to be parents.

Perhaps the most memorable line in the movie was Downey proclaiming that he had never done drugs in his life. Given Downey's well documented real-life problems, his statement in the movie couldn't help but make the audience compare the character to reality, thus serving to knock down the "4th wall" in the process. No doubt the contrast was created by intent, but I'm not sure it was a great idea.

As Steve Martin, John Candy, and Jack Lemmon proved, superior comedy and deeper laughs come from brilliant acting and comic timing. If you have to resort to endless gutter language, potty humor, and masturbating canines, you have already lost the game before it starts.

If you are looking for believability, please try to remember this is a comedy.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
9 November 2010

The critics are being pretty harsh on this film, and yet they give high praise to such films like Role Models and Get Him to the Greek, so go figure. But I had a lot fun with Due Date, It was a fun slapstick misadventure, almost what we loved about The Hangover, so it is clear to say I don't agree with the critics on this one.

Peter(Robert Downey Jr) an architect looking to get home to his pregnant wife(Michelle Monaghan) who is expecting in a week. And when he gets on a plane, he quickly gets kicked off, when he gets into an unfortunate incident with Ethan(Zach Galifianakis) a pot smoking moron, and wanna be actor, who is obsessed with the show Two and a Half Men. When Peter is looking for new ways to get home. Ethan has a car and offers to drive him. Although it is against Peters better judgment, but feeling there is no other way, he goes with him. Will Peter make it on time for his child's birth, or will Ethan drive him nuts during this?

A lot of people said this is a Plane,Trains and Automobiles ripoff, but you know what who cares. This was a funny laugh out loud film. Downey and Galifianakis have funny chemistry, they just play off each other perfectly. Like The Hangover it is one entertaining misadventure, I say don't listen to the critics, see this movie and form your own opinion.

It might not be fair to compare it to PT&A but unfortunately, I am

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
8 November 2010

When you make a road trip movie, and you have two mismatched characters sharing that road, one can't help but to think back to John Hughes 1987 masterpiece Planes Trains and Automobiles. It might not be right, but unfortunately, it just happens. And when you do, you come up with the conclusion that this film is a food stamps version of the real deal. While Todd Phillips is talented and Zack Galifinakis and Rober Downey Jr. are fine actors, the material in this film is just mean. In every way.

In PTA you had a work-a-holic who was trying to get home for Thanksgiving only to get stuck next to a slob. John Candy was that slob and for all of the shortcomings of his character, Del Griffith, the character, knew he was a bit of a slob, he knew he was a bit annoying and he knew that he was a bit hard to get along with. But when all was said and done, he was a sweet man and absolutely knew WHO HE WAS. If you compare him to Zack's character, it's like comparing a character after he has been through the editing process 17 times as opposed to the original draft that Galifinakis seems that he is. Candy might have been written like Galifinakis' character is at the beginning, but Hughes took the time to polish and shine him. And what we were left with a family man, indelibly devoted to his wife and a man who was giving, honest, kind and principled. He was flawed no doubt, but he wasn't a jerk. The same can be said about Neil Page, flawed, but a decent human being.

Due Date has unlikable characters. I mean every single character in here (with the exception of Downey's wife) is a complete jerk at times. Ethan Trembley is so over the top that you just can't take him seriously. He is just mean and he is such a slob that you have no empathy for him. Peter Highman is an angry, violent rage of a volcano that even when he is being helped across country to see his wife, he finds it hard to be nice. This is a man who will punch a child, spit in a dog's face and leave a man broke at a rest room while stealing his car. I found it hard to like any character in the film, but especially the two leads.

With PTA, there was humour in the situations. In Due Date, it's just not that funny because in this film, you have crack whores, lots of drugs, unrealistic and cringe-worthy situations, and scene after scene of incredulous acts that would get you punched out in real life. To see a man masturbate in the seat beside you is not funny. However, seeing the dog do it, I have to admit, is.

Due Date sis not entirely unfunny. There are sporadic scenes of humour. And Downey is good, as always. But like I said, maybe it's just wrong to compare it to PTA, but there were laugh out loud scenes like the car rental scene, "You're going the wrong way", "those aren't pillows", "do you think this vehicle is safe?" and so on on. Then at the end you have the cover of Every Time You Go Away and it fits perfectly with the tone of the film. At the end of this, you just have Zak being Zak.

I wanted to like this, but it disappointed me immensely.

Awful, Unfunny, Save Your Money!!!

Author: rollerqueen from United Kingdom
23 November 2010

After R.D.J.'s excellent performance in Sherlock Holmes, I thought it would be a pretty safe bet that he wouldn't be into making turkeys.Unfortunately ,I was wrong. This film is everything a movie shouldn't be.It is gross, offensive and totally without merit.One can only ask Why????? Robert Downey Jr chose this dross to perform.The comparison to Planes,Trains and Automobiles is all too clear- but that was an excellent piece of film making and Due Date just isn't.The 2 characters don't mesh, there is no growing bond which you see in Planes etc it's too unbelievable that R.D.J's character who has some intelligence would ever stoop to find worth in anything his overbearing unstable road partner would do.Suddenly in one leap- he confesses he "loves" the guy.And wants to stay in touch. The charm and poignant detail of Planes is sadly lacking.There is no character development,we don't have emapathy for the nerd character,and by the end of it,I had none for R.D.J's character either.An embarrassment to R.D.J's great track record, a bitter blow to your pocket and expectations of an entertaining night out.This film sucks.

Terrible

Author: bill-794-694836 from United States
13 November 2010

Recipe for a bad movie. Remake a great movie, "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" with many good actors. Discard the potential of Michelle Monaghan and Jamie Foxx. Add canned Juliette Lewis and Danny McBride shtick to save time. Make the Steve Martin character unlikable. Make the John Candy character sinister and unlikable. Imagine how one would react to the antics of the other, and then on occasion, invert the reaction. (That adds suspense!) Re-write PT&A with more action by disconnecting the vignettes; this gives you the freedom to create disasters and then re-start the plot with the leads not dead or in jail, like Saturday morning cartoons. Here's your inspiration - when you do "man slips on a banana peel", don't be afraid to make the audience be the man, make them feel the pain of tailbone falling on concrete. After 98 minutes of bone breaking aggression and multiple felonies, add a "oh my god, my kid is black" site gag, make sure everyone loves one another, sprinkle with pot jokes and sell while actors' reputations are still hot.

I must be getting old, because I didn't like it

Author: ian-864 from Birmingham, England
30 January 2011

I watched this movie with my wife and had no idea what to expect as we had not read any reviews. We just watch anything with RDJ and ZG in it.

However it wasn't long before we both mentioned that this was strikingly similar to Planes Trains and Automobiles, but with the difference that the characters just aren't likable - particularly RDJ's character, who is apparently a selfish jerk with occasional moments of humanity.

I want a comedy with these guys to leave me with a good feeling. This left me very disappointed and kind of sad that it's apparently acceptable these days to be a selfish jerk as long as you come good in the end.

A sad copy of a classic.

Seriously missing something...

Author: Tempus Vernum from United States
26 December 2010

We went to see this without knowing anything about the plot. We went to see it because Robert Downey Jr. was in it and we were in the mood for a few laughs.

Sadly, we got very few laughs. The plot seemed disjointed causing it not to flow very well. And the majority of the intended humor used graphical juvenile antics better suited for locker room pranks than a supposed Hollywood comedy.

A common attribute of high level movies no matter the genre is to have the audience care about the characters; either liking them or wishing them to meet their end. But in this movie all that was missing. The main characters had few redeeming qualities to latch on to. All that was left was a large amount of indifference...we really didn't care if either of them made it to L.A. or fell off the cliff at the Grand Canyon.

It's not the worst movie ever made, but it will do until that one comes along.

Not Comedy Wise as Expected

Author: ghasl1 from Canada
21 December 2010

This movie was trying to be funny but it wasn't the only things funny in it was the kid pulling on Downy Jr's tie repeatedly and then jab/punch the kid in the stomach because he was misbehaving, the dog masturbating scene and the trio (downey,jamie foxx and zach) accidentally drinking the ashes mistaken for coffee.

You can skip to those scenes but actually watching a movie that goes for over an hour and a half is tiresome and annoying, because you have to put up with the obnoxious character Ethan (from the Hangover)who always acts like Drop Dead Fred except his the total opposite and is just plain annoying without any of the humour. Even at the end he was still the same, there is nothing likable about him for being a jerk. His bad from start to finish.

Peter (Downey Jr.) was the serious cast while all this was happening he just puts up with Ethan's recklessness and doesn't retaliate and only banters at him in a non-funny way. Jamie Foxx is only in this movie for 10 mins and the pickup truck going over potholes would be funny if there was not a dog falling all over the place also it get's spat on by Peter. The way they portrayed animal abuse made it less funny same with talk about child services. For a comedy movie it doesn't have much humour.

Outstanding, hilarious, engaging.....

Author: city_mt from Norway
5 August 2010

There had been in my humble opinion a major lack of entertaining and good comedies in the film market, but then out of the blue I stumbled upon The Hangover. A film I didn't know anything about before I went to see it in the cinema. Just a few seconds into the film I started smiling and laughing, and they kept on pushing it, and I think there wasn't one single dull nor boring sequence throughout the whole movie. The reason why I'm telling you this is because watching Due Date gave me the exact same amazing comedy experience as The Hangover, and that speaks for it self!

Furthermore, the acting by especially Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifanakis were both top notch, and I thoroughly swallowed every word they said.

If you're in for a treat and hunger for laughs go watch Due Date as soon as you can! I honestly feel like I don't have words to describe it as well as it deserves, but I gave it my best shot and I hope you've got the message!

PS: I had the pleasure of seeing it in an early screening. The original premiere date is November 5th.

Stick with its predecessor - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Author: Dan Franzen (dfranzen70) from United States
11 December 2011

I think that Due Date operates under the main premise that the viewer has never heard of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, for if they had, they'd be wondering why they were watching the same movie with all the jokes stripped out. Due Date is, in total, neither a terrible nor an offensive film. Its problem is that it's a little too bitter, thus eliminating with surgical precision any empathy we might have for its two protagonists. It's a road trip with an obvious end in sight and somewhat unpredictable wacky hijinks in between. You could do worse, but you could do much better.

Peter Highman (Robert Downey, Jr.) is an architect who's attempting to fly out of Atlanta back home to Los Angeles to be with his wife Michelle Monaghan, who's about to give birth. But thanks to a bag mixup with a fellow traveler named Ethan Trembley (Zach Galifianakis), Peter finds himself stranded in Atlanta, placed on the national No Fly list (minor misunderstanding, of course). Ethan offers him a cross-country ride in his rental, and off we go.

The movie uses the trope of mismatched people enduring a common experience. Peter is uptight, dithering endlessly about what to name his newborn. Ethan is, well, flighty. In fact, Galifianakis seems to be playing the same character he played in the two Hangover films: childlike, maybe psychopathic and/or sociopathic, not all there. He's wildly misinformed about such things as the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam, but he is heading west to try to make it as an actor in Hollywood. Oh, and did I mention he's carrying the ashes of his deceased father in a coffee can to dispose of along the way? Well, there's that, too.

You and I both know that there's no way Peter and Ethan will make it from Georgia to California without any problems. But Peter has no choice - his wallet was confiscated at the airport, and his bags are on their way to LA. He has no cash and no ID. It could happen to anyone. So he's essentially at Ethan's mercy. Along the way, we learn much about the characters and what makes them tick, but whereas the earlier Planes, Trains got melancholy without getting maudlin, this one achieves no such feat.

Downey, Jr. and Galifianakis give it their best shot, and to tell the truth they're not bad. They make an okay team; it's just that it's a teaming we've seen before, and much better. Steve Martin and John Candy got into their share of situations that would never happen to a normal person, but they also ran into problems with which we could all relate; here, it's more of the former than the latter. It's as if the movie keeps daring itself to get weirder and weirder.

The final, near-fatal flaw of the movie is that it really doesn't give you anyone to root for - except of course at the end. It's a comedy, after all. But these guys do some rather nasty things to each other, and not in the oh-no-he-didn't sort of way, either; rather, in the scowling, almost hateful way. It's a little disconcerting at times. But the actors do their best, as I said, and you could do worse.

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]