IMDb > "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Late Night with Jimmy Fallon"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings
Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Highlight of My Day

Author: bryn-s from Canada
24 September 2010

Jimmy Fallon is my favourite person on TV! I do understand that it wasn't as good at the start but I still stuck by and now it's a hit that I can't wait to go see live! Watching this is the highlight of my day so I urge everyone to watch it, 12:35 am. Mon-Fri on NBC. The bits, monologues, audience interactions and on-the-spot jokes definitely make my night. You can really tell that Jimmy loves what he does and when you have a host like that it's hard not to join in on the laughter.

I really like the way he interacts with his guests. Sometimes I don't like a certain guest but when they're talking to Jimmy I find myself laughing and having a good time watching it. So if you feel hesitant because of a certain guest, more times than none you've got nothing to worry about.

Let's not forget The Roots! They're pretty great.

So in conclusion, this show is awesome! I love it and everyone should watch it. Great Job!

Can he do an entire week without an SNL cast member or a relative of an SNL cast member?

Author: carol-greer from United States
24 July 2009

Jimmy's better than the other guys in his time slot, but that's not saying much and he blows Carson Daly out of the water- but then again, a goldfish in a bowl does that.

I've waited to see if he'd get better, and admittedly, he improved a bit, but still... he has a long way to go to actually be entertaining. I DO like the fact that he interacts with the audience, but a lot of his stunts just fail to be funny. The conflict resolution skit usually is pretty good, but most of the others fall completely flat.

One of my biggest issues with the show is that he can't seem to wean himself from the SNL cast. Has anyone else noticed that he's got a disproportionate amount of SNL members (both former and present-day) as guests? And some aren't there because of a project they're hyping, it's just like, "I was walking around the building and showed up on your stage for no apparent reason." I can see at first doing that to help him gain confidence, but if he still needs their support he really doesn't need to be there. or is this more of a "We can't get real celebrities to be on his show... QUICK book SNL cast members!"

To me, Jimmy would be better about 7-10 hours later. He's got a pleasant smile and his humor would work well with people just waking up. I can totally see Jimmy on a morning talk show and being much more interesting than in his current position.

I'll continue to flip through and watch occasionally, but if there's anything else on that even remotely interests me, Jimmy's out.

Maybe the Single Worst Late Night Show Ever... Terrible Writing

Author: Robert Boyle from Canada
5 October 2009

This show is just a huge mess, not for even one lousy second in any of the twenty plus episodes I have watched so far has there been even the remote possibility that what they were doing could result in anything even approaching comedy. The jokes are all so pathetic, desperate and stupid that I imagine this show is written entirely by Jimmy "I Giggle At Every One of my own Non-Jokes" Fallon and his friends who presumably are still in grade nine. I seriously have never seen worse writing in a TV show in my entire life. Absolute garbage is what this show brings day in and day out which maybe could pass for some sort of entertainment with a decent host but when the writing is this bad and the only hope of spinning it into something even halfway decent is Jimmy Fallon you are in for a horrible time. This is easily the worst late night show I have ever seen and I am including Canada's Mike Bullard show in that mix, at least that show had some kind of comedy writing in it, even though it was almost never funny it was sometimes and they were at least trying. This show just goes through the motions every night. They deliberately do weird stuff assuming we will find it funny, well it's not, it's just stupid. They need to go back to the drawing board, get competent writers and probably a new host too. Just an awful mess of a show all around, I can't believe it's on TV, much less a major U.S. network. Someone needs to lose their job here.

The more tame and family friendly Jimmy

Author: rokasmackevicius
11 October 2013

In a sea of talk show hosts, Jimmy Fallon stands out with his skits, celebrity games and songs. Plus, he has the best talk show host band with him as well, the motherfreakin' Roots.

All that said, Jimmy Fallon is also the worst interviewer among the talk show hosts that still try(obviously excluding Leno and Letterman). The celebrity ass kissing is okay, and probably required for the job, but he rarely contributes anything funny to the interview, often just repeating everything that the celebrity says. His overall too nice attitude also leads to some cringe worthy interviews where celebrities just step all over him(just youtube the bruce jenner interview).

Then again, he has a brilliant writing staff and his segments are the funniest you can find on late night TV. Jimmy himself has a lot of talents: singing, impressions, acting but interviewing just isn't part of his arsenal. If you can get past that, then "Late night with Jimmy Fallon" might just be your cup of tea.

Fallon Rocks!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
9 September 2013

It is good to have comedic experience after the SNL alum finally gets his own talk show. After his brief acting career failed him. He is better off being himself. As he is funny there.

And it is no surprise he will replace Jay Leno as the host in 2014. As really do not know if he will be an upgrade or not over Conan O Brien, who IMHO got left out to dry by NBC but that's another story I will leave it at that.

But still, Fallon hopefully will not be left out to dry. As hope that he really pulls it off. Sure there is nobody like Johnny or Leno for that matter.

But still, glad that Fallon got the job as he will do just fine!

I don't understand why people dislike his show...

Author: mkenyon719
20 March 2011

I like the show. I never watched it before when he first started because I didn't have a DVR, but now I watch most of his shows. They are all recorded too.

I love his chemistry with Steve. They crack me up. I love how Jimmy laughs at himself and how he gets excited to be interviewing famous people. He was awestruck with Paul McCartney. I remember he was awestruck with Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) too.

I like him better than Conan, but I never liked Conan, so that may be biased.

Give Jimmy a chance, people!

After the first week... I feel let down...

Author: JosephJones84 from United Kingdom
9 March 2009

3 out of 10..

Almost awful. In that sad space between bad and awful, nowhere near parody-bad at the bottom...

I looked forward to this new host with some quiet, enthusiastic, optimistic anticipation...

My previous point of view (before watching this)..

- I could only enjoy Conan in small amounts.. - Letterman i used to enjoy a lot. Now only if a special guest i like is on do I ever watch it.. - JAY Leno --> the KING of late night comedy... I ALWAYS (92.5%) find his show funny, entertaining and a good time

Note: with all of these I usually skip the singing/dancing crap at the end...in other words im there for the ENTERTAINMENT, ie jokes, fun interactions, cool pre-recorded bits..and especially stuff that happens off-the-cuff, non-scripted (sadly very little..BUT BOTH Jay Leno AND Conan are good at that...)

Now...I enjoyed:

- Jimmy Fallon's nervous but nice personality - His obvious person to person connecting skills (see below for counter-point) - The ROOTS... simply AMAZING! - Jimmy & the band's singing-the-news bit

Sadly... saying that here are the things I really didn't like:

- Jimmy's *MUMBLING* ...HELLO?!! Am I the ONLY ONE TO NOTICE THIS????

I mean when he interviews guests and when they are going to a commercial break or coming back... its just INSANE the AMOUNT of MUMBLING...

What is this AMATEUR HOUR?????

- Lick crap for $10 dollars. Not funny...slow motion kinda okay, but wow...

- The SAME GUY on the show THREE TIMES using THREE DIFFERENT NAMES... you know the phillipino guy (not certain of ethnicity here) wearing the green T-shirt...didn't ANYONE ELSE NOTICE that???

- A good majority of the monologues this week... This was one of the biggest things for me to make or break the show...

And aside from singing the news.. I cant think of a joke or bit that I laughed at.... So far Fallon's monologue seems to have gone from repeating word for word (you can see his eyes not looking at the camera when he reads the teleprompter) the jokes of a depressed writing team, to falling back on overt praise for President Obama, because he knew that would get some response...

It's sad... OH WAIT actually Friday's back and forth with the announcer guy about whether he's licked anything worth £139 dollars DID ALSO make me laugh..and that was a nice spontaneous moment between the two that was great!

- But yeah... like another commenter here there were a few times where the guest and Fallon were bantering and then you can see on his face he must go "Oh..Stop. Wait.. the audience dosn't know what we're talking about'..

...BUT THEN what follows is INCOHERENT, bland and vague attempt to explain what they were just talking about, or how the two know each other off stage...

which brings the feeling SQUARE back to:

"Is this AMATEUR HOUR at nbc????"

W.T.F...

So yes...from enthusiastically optimistic, and even after watching the first few shows, hoping for better...we arrived at Friday's show...and I find myself at the 40 minute mark of a 45 minute show STILL WAITING for the ENTERTAINMENT...at which point, I turn it off..and walk away...

...THOROUGHLY disappointed in this show..

Don't hate the messenger

Author: Media_guru from Ontario, Canada
19 March 2009

I will say right off the bat, this is not as good as it was with Conan, but I do not think Fallon is to blame. The problem with this show is simple, bad writing. When watching this show, I wonder if any of the writing staff stayed on from Conan, especially the later episodes; there was still a lot of unfunny jokes when O'Brien was the host. The difference? Conan can roll with the punches and has a lightning fast sense of humour. I can think of many jokes saved by said humour. As such, one should note that Fallon is a baby, while Conan has been doing this for a very long time. Don't put the blame on Jimmy Fallon, give him some time to hone his skills and let's hope the jokes improve as well. Knock wood.

Better

Author: DeniseMG from United States
27 November 2009

Jimmy has a good sense of humor which is emerging more effectively over time. This is especially evident in the sketches/videos they produce on the show and his acting in them. He has a good sense of cultural parody which you can't say for SNL recently. He has parodied Twilight, Real Housewives, and The Hills, and it is funny. He is not only a talented actor and a happy guy; he also seems to have a bit of musical talent. I also loved his grad students on Spring Break sketch and many other bits that they do, even though I detest the Lick it for Ten and Moustaches Wrestling type stuff. And of course, the Roots are a very cool and creative band even if this is mentioned every five minutes on the show. Their Friday night improvising thing really impresses me and they often have guests play with them.

Also, Jimmy has rapport with most of his guests because he is a nice guy. He might be nervous and diffident but that can be charming. He seems to be buddies with everyone including the Roots and Higgins, etc., which gives the show a friendly feeling and seems to help everyone collaborate. Shows where clever people get along with each other seem to produce good stuff and I expect this show will improve even more. People should give him a break! He is not Conan but he is nice, straightforward, and yes, I will say it, funny.

love his new show!

Author: fyesdnil from United States
24 March 2009

I think he's doing a great job, although his first few episodes had a couple kinks I think his personality outshines any bugs the show might have at this point.It did seem an odd choice to have the most infamously hard person to interview as his first guest,but given the circumstances I think he held his own.I definitely think he get's more comfortable with every episode.Hopefully people will embrace his guy next door sense of humor and casual hosting style.Also I personally think the fact that he just can't keep his giggling and smiling under control extremely endearing.Everyone always feels the need to put new guys through this hazing at first,lest we forget Conans less than stellar reviews his first couple of seasons.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]