IMDb > Labor Pains (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Labor Pains

Labor Pains More at IMDbPro »

Average movie . Wouldn't watch it twice !!!

Author: Ravi-x from Canada
14 July 2009

Although it was nice to see Lindsay lohan again in a movie ( i like her very much ) :) : the story is kinda lame and the acting is pretty bad . Still a few laugh but overall I'm disappoint . it looked very good from the trailer .

download the screener or rent if you like lohan but don't buy it .

This movie wont 'bring Lindsay lohan career to the top ' i wouldn't have see a theatrical release . Straight to DVD is what it deserve IMO .

very average .. and the acting is pretty bad ( except Lindsay ) still better than Hottie or nottie or other Paris Hilton flick .

Its rate 4.1 right now ... it deserve it IMO . maybe a 5 max .

Nowhere near as good as Mean girl or Just my luck . This is not a movie you want to watch twice .

predictable but cute and charming enough

Author: jimakros
3 September 2009

Many people hate Lindsay Lohan.Thats a fact of life and to a point she brought this onto herself with her lifestyle and crazy tabloids.So,she's easy prey for anyone looking for anything she does which is less than great.This movie is much,much,much better than they will make you think it is.Its an average rom-com,on the weaker side but not bad at all.I've seen dozens of worse rom-coms and even more worse movies that people will call acceptable.But they don't star Lindsay Lohan. Personally i like Lindsay as an actress and especially in this type of movie where she can walk through this material blindfolded.She just has a natural gift for this type of disneyesque rom-com.She is also a doll.I don't like her tabloids but this didn't bother me in enjoying this movie. Especially at a time when,one is bombarded with all kinds of silly monster-alien-robot movies,such innocent cute movies are a breath of fresh air.

Silly and predictable movie, but it is good to see Lindsay back.

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
7 October 2010

Thea Clayhill is the secretary of the arrogant publisher Jerry Steinwald. She hates her job and she cannot wait to do something more meaningful, but all she gets are stupid chores like taking care of Jerry's pet. One day, after being distracted, an accident happens with Jerry's dog, and he, angry and tired of her terrible job, decides to fire her. Thea lies pretending that is pregnant to not lose the job, specially because after her parents died in a car accident, Thea needs to raise her younger sister Emma alone. Since he cannot fire a pregnant woman, Thea can keep her job, but she needs to use fake bellies and to fake her pregnancy to not make people suspicious. Jerry decides to stay out of the company for a while, during his dog's recovery, and his younger brother Nick, assumes his position. Nick is very different from Jerry, and besides being charming, he is a very nice guy. He and Thea start to work together in a search for a new incredible book, and Nick uses Thea's pregnancy to help him to publish a great book about pregnancy. The only problem is: For how much time can Thea keep this fake pregnancy?

' Labor Pains' is a very predictable movie, full of clichés, but it is a nice and soft romantic comedy to watch. The situations are totally unreal , but the movie itself is not a total waste of time ( although is not a masterpiece either). The pregnancy theme is something that I usually like, and it was good to see Lindsay in a role of an adult woman. In fact, she is doing good in this film and is nice to see her back, playing a more respectful character then the ones of most of her previous movies. Watching this movie even makes you forget all her drug- alcohol addiction that happens in her life and that she usually is famous for.

Milennium Pictures should stick with action movies

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
14 July 2010

In a bizarre change of pace, direct-to-video action kings Millennium Pictures made this strange little movie. The plot is ripped off from the French movie "The Closet" - in that film, a man pretended he was gay so he wouldn't get fired, and in this film, Lohan pretends she's pregnant so she won't lose her job. It still could have been funny, being able to go off in different directions, but it falls flat. It was obviously shot on a limited budget and hastily filmed. Lohan is badly photographed and seems to have been without makeup. (And her character doesn't come across as a likable person.) You get to see the shadows of camera equipment TWICE. There seems to be footage missing or that was not filmed - Lohan's boyfriend, for example, is introduced in the opening minutes, and is not seen again for a half hour! (And we never see her talking to him about her scheme.) It's also never explained why Lohan for the longest time keeps her sister in the dark about what she's doing. But the worst thing about the movie is that it's not very funny. It's surprisingly low-key, when it should have been zanier. I didn't laugh once, chuckle once, or even smile once at any of the script's situations and dialogue. Maybe I'm not the audience for this movie - it seems aimed at women - but I think its true audience will be as disappointed with this movie as I am.

Bland and not all that good. It just doesn't work

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
4 August 2009

Lindsay Lohan stars as a young women who pretends to be pregnant so not to get fired. The bluff wins her perks so she keeps it up longer and longer. Bland comedy isn't bad but it never rises above the level of a lesser TV movie. The cast, is good but not great mostly I think because they aren't given anything to do. Lohan, the only one I can put a name to a face, is as good as she can be, but again she isn't really given anything to do.(and she should never work with her make up man again since he makes her look older than her 20 odd years in age). The best thing I can say is that its not the total disaster I expected that sent it straight to video. I'm sure that the film is going to end up in some form of eternal rotation on some cable channel in the near future. I'd wait until that happens before seeing it.

Labour Fails suits this title better

Author: lukaszsw from Warsaw, Poland
31 July 2009

To be honest I really had more fun watching these "Based on the true story" titles my mother is keen on watching. This title is full of clichés, the plot is incomprehensible and the acting is mediocre at best.

Thea Clayhill (Lindsay Lohan) is assistant to an editor and her job is very lousy (to say the least). She is very hardworking and she has to support her little sister Emma (Bridgit Mendler). She dates a local sandwich guy. When she steps on her bosses foot once too much he fires her but retracts his decision when she says she is pregnant (she isn't really). She steals a fake belly off the manikin in the store, comes to work and everybody buys it immediately.

The worst thing about this movie is that everything feels unbelievable and underdeveloped. Are there really such publishing offices where every single male i sexist to the female secretary? How can a place like that still make an income when the main editor is caring about his dog 100 times more than about the books? They also say that the office is quite successful. The biggest question is why would anybody pretend to be pregnant to save the worst job in the world? Especially that it is established that Thea is hardworking.

There suppose to be some discovery from the main character about the hardship of being pregnant but it all boils down to a single-sentence statements about the whole thing. To think that a pillow can pass as a pregnant belly for months is simply atrocious.

We are suppose to believe that Thea has to put up with the job because she has a sister to support but their struggle seems nonexistent. Neither of the sister is bothered by their parents death (mabe it happened years ago), which itself is mentioned so briefly that suggest that even the director didn't think of it much. Even though this suppose to be the force behind Lindsay holding to the job.

The cast makes the most of what the script is but because of their honest approach (as if this was a regular blockbuster) it seems even less entertaining. There is absolutely no chemistry between the male lead and Lindsay. As if every discriminated woman would fall for the first guy that shows them affection. The first relationship that she is in is even more bizarre - her boyfriend is a sandwich stand guy with two or three lines in the movie: one about the sandwiches and one to

get her humiliated so the character can be discarded.

I have to say I smiled a couple of times during the movie because of oddly inserted jokes like the breading lessons instructor "borrowing" a husband of one of the women in the class. But thats merely enough to push the movie to mediocre territory and certainly to little to wash the bad aftertaste of all of the other jokes.

From the cast my favorite is the cocky little sister Emma. Bridgit Mendler seem right at home and act almost effortlessly. That is in contrast of Lindsay Lohan who, I have to say, seems inappropriate for the transition to mature roles (or maybe to very lousy ones) I'm giving it 3/10 for some rare mediocre jokes and Bridgit Mendler but the lasting impression is that I watched Straight-to-garbage production.

Just Plain Creepy....

Author: KMRocky from United States
9 July 2009

This movie was cute at first but then it just starts to get weird.

Lindsay Lohan plays a girl pretending to be pregnant so she doesn't loose her job, she sticks with the lie for so long she starts to believe it herself.

Then the movie just gets weird. She says she can't smoke or drink, it's not allowed when you're pregnant. She also goes as far as to buying baby clothes and supplies.

It wasn't a complete waste of time if you like a cheesy comedy about a woman discovering her strengths... in a very odd and twisted way.

Watch it if you like these types of movies but as for me I don't think I'll be watching this one again.

Not Just Labor Pains... My Whole Body Aches

Author: Sarah from Australia
8 July 2009

I managed to sit through the better part of an hour of this film. I could not believe just how truly pathetic it was. I mean, the movie was trying, desperately, to be funny, and failed so many times. Time and time and time again, actually. Lindsay can't carry a film on her own, and the supporting cast just seemed to be there for the pay cheque.

A weak plot of Lindsay's character working in a publishing house, trying to support herself and her sister after the death of their parents (through a car accident, of course, because that's how the parents always get bumped off...) sees the main character seconds away from being fired until s he gets the 'brilliant' idea to claim she's pregnant.

Seriously, if you're a die-hard fan of Lohan, maybe that'll be enough for you. But not even the brief, brief, brief appearance of Garafalo could keep me awake through this...

Not Joan Jett enough.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
4 October 2013

Thea is the secretary of arrogant publisher Jerry. When he tries to fire her for bad mouthing him, Thea lies and tells him that she is four-months pregnant.

Thea lost her parents in a car accident and raises her sister Emma, so she cannot afford to lose her job.

Jerry goes on vacation, and his brother Nick assumes his position.

She decides to fake her pregnancy for more time than necessary though, and Nick has taken a shine to her.....

First off, it's a high concept movie, that would have been huge in the early nineties if it starred Meg Ryan. It's nothing we haven't seen before, with tropes galore and the inevitable love sub plot.

But it's watchable enough, Lohan proves that she has charisma, just bad life choices, and the rest of the cast are amiable enough.

Don't expect too much from the movie, and you'll enjoy it for what it is, pointless fluff...

Low-budget winner, for romcom fans; Lohan is funny and sweet, Hines is also very comedic

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
25 February 2010

Thea (Lindsay Lohan) has been dealt a bad hand in the game of life, recently. After her parents were killed in an auto crash, she was forced to quit college and take charge of her high school aged sister. Since she lives in the Los Angeles area, expenses are high and it is a struggle. Thea slaves away at a relatively low-paying job as a personal assistant to a neurotic publisher. Her only allies and confidants are an associate publisher, Lisa (Cheryl Hines) and a goofy boyfriend, Miles (Aaron Yoo). But, one day, the boss' cherished pooch has an accident and the publisher leaves town to take the doggy to a hotshot clinic for therapy. Blaming Thea, he tries to give her the axe for the canine's troubles. But, thinking quickly, Thea declares that she is pregnant and, according to law, an expectant mother can't be fired during the duration. Bossman leaves in a huff. Taking over is his younger brother, Nick (Luke Kirby) who is much better at making decisions about books and sales. He also recognizes that Thea has a talent for publishing and, due to her condition, will make an excellent choice for editing a new tome on pregnancy he wants to present. Thea gets a raise and a new assignment. But, will everything fall apart when the firm realizes she's not expecting? And, does Thea have "eyes" for her new boss? This was quite a pleasant little film, made more worthwhile by the appearances of Lohan and Hines. For all her bad publicity, Lohan is a genuinely comic performer, with a dose of innocence and sweetness lacking in many other actresses her age. She does fine work here and is a joy to watch. Hines, on the other hand, is excellent at black humor and she contributes a big helping of comic edginess. The rest of the cast, mostly unknowns, are very nice, too. The settings, costumes, and production values are average, as befits a low-budget flick. Especially lacking was money for a good hair stylist, for Lohan's tresses are a messy tangle. Nevertheless, this movie is a good way to relax and have some fun after work hours. Romcom fans, take note.