IMDb > It's Complicated (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It's Complicated

It's Complicated More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 22: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

another date movie

Author: Raoul Duke from paranodia
14 June 2011

So I watched 2009's "It's Complicated" starring Streep, the good Baldwin brother, and the overrated Steve Martin (great stand up, o.k movies for the most part in my opinion). So was this movie good, I have to say ehh. I watched it because it has a good cast, looked funny, and had Meryl Streep getting high so I thought why not. The story also contained an element I always enjoy cooking. This is a good date movie which at this point I am sick of saying, but it is true. If you are dating someone and it is either early on or you have different tastes, unless you are a pure indy snob, you'll find this movie amusing. However, I would have liked to have seen a darker ending which I think would have made this movie more realistic and therefore good, but it was just more Hollywood tripe at the end of the day. if you like concise reviews of interesting films please read my other reviews at http://raouldukeatthemovies.blogspot.com/

Divorced has never been this interesting

Author: dione-r-choto from South Africa
2 June 2011

It is a refreshing pleasure to watch Meryl Streep together with both her leading men (Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin) in this interesting story of a woman humorously, but in all seriousness ultimately, grappling with a spark-filled affair with her charming ex-husband (now remarried) and a blossoming romance with an endearing architect co-divorcée.

There is nothing at all typical about the situation – thus the term "it's complicated", obviously. Here is a romantic plot with a decided difference; lively and entertaining. One falls head over heels in love with all characters portrayed as they themselves bungle in after-divorce dating.

Streep is lovely, enchanting as always, while Mr. Martin stays true to the cute mirth we all love about him, and Alec Baldwin conveys gruff attractiveness in that unrepentantly suave way of his.

Without at all falling into frivolity like many of the romantic comedies floating around these days, this is venturesome, insightful as well as being funny and heart-warming.

You will love it; your mother will love it; your sister will love it; your girlfriends and even your man – if truth is in him.

Staying true to chick-flick yet going beyond somehow.

Junk food

Author: neesta85 from United States
23 May 2011

Let me start this review by stating that I HATED "Something's Gotta Give." Had I known that "It's Complicated" was directed by the same woman, I might not have given it a chance.

As it was, I waited for IC to come on HBO and was pleasantly surprised by Alec Baldwin's performance. I found him extremely sexy as well as hilarious. I am a big fan of Meryl Streep and enjoyed her performance in this film, but she was no Jake Adler! I thought Steve Martin's character would have been better played by a no-name actor, for the quality of the script and the amount of talent required. The adult children, like the evil stepson, were whiny and annoying. Jake's young wife was a one-dimensional shrew. The Harley character, however, was the most irritating of all. In all of his scenes, his presence seemed designed either to establish his unlikely closeness with his soon-to-be in-laws or to showcase his totally un-funny discomfort over knowing about The Affair. He adds nothing positive to the film. It feels like he was tacked on in hopes of making him a huge star.

Why did I give it 6 stars if I hated it so much? Alec and Meryl were wonderful together. They really did sparkle. Alec had me at, "You've gone native--I was into it." Other reviewers complain about Meryl's ditziness and the fact that neither of them seemed to spend much time at their incredibly demanding jobs, and they're right, but who cares? It's a light, silly fantasy, nothing more. Had I paid to see it in the theater, I'd be annoyed.

I'm 33, married, no direct experience with divorce. In case you're wondering.

Great cast and beautifully filmed, but I couldn't help thinking it could have been better

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
16 May 2011

It's Complicated is a good movie in my opinion, but it isn't a great one. There are some undeniably good things though. The film looks absolutely beautiful with the scenery and location shooting striking and the photography capturing it wonderfully. The soundtrack is beguiling without being too overbearing or too low-key, and the direction is excellent. While I wasn't as taken with the script and story as much as I would've liked, both have their moments. When it comes to the story, the reaction of the kids when they found about their parents was especially surprisingly well-done, and there are several parts mostly in the final third where the writing is funny, quirky and touching. What really lifts It's Complicated is the cast. All three leads-Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin-do some of their better work in recent years here. Martin is probably the weakest of the three despite his character being the most likable, not because he is bad in fact he is very good, but because I would've loved to have seen more of him as it's the third act really where he and his character shines through. Streep is wonderfully infectious and bubbly, and Baldwin's persona here is less cynical and more sleazeball which works. John Krasinski also has some comedy gold moments without feeling too out of place. The characters on the surface in general are clichéd, but in general they are also likable. On the other hand, I didn't completely buy the "happy" ending and in all honesty I could see it coming from miles away. The story is unevenly paced too with some of the middle dragging and like the ending it is rather predictable. The script while funny, touching and quirky often does also have too many moments of clichés, corniness and dumbness, and the title I did find rather obvious but in regards to the latter it's probably me being picky. Overall, good but not great, it's lucky that the cast is as good as it is. 6/10 Bethany Cox

Absolutely Exceptional Movie ~ Excellent on all fronts!

Author: pffulginiti from New Hope, PA, United States
10 May 2011

I will admit that I am a huge fan of Nancy Meyers and her work. There isn't much material that she writes and directs that I don't enjoy. This is the first time I've enjoyed a movie of hers to this degree!!! It's a perfect 10!!! I laughed and laughed; I cried a lil bit, but most of all I was simply constantly entertained in an excellent way. The movie was over so quickly!! Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin have all out-done themselves. They brought the characters to life, made them likable, quirky, endearing and appealing which made this a movie that you didn't want to see end. (it compelled me to get out my copies of "The Holiday" and "Something's Gotta Give" and watch them again!! :) If you're looking for cerebral, intellectually stimulating fodder; look elsewhere. If you're looking for a light hearted, heart warming, highly entertaining and funny movie; this is the ticket!! I loved it!!! :-) I cannot wait to see what Nancy Meyers brings to the big screen next!! She seems to outdo herself with each production.

Nothing special

Author: bluemoon-551-730881 from United States
14 April 2011

I expected a lot from this movie, but I found it to be somewhat contrived and definitely uninspired. It's predictably angsty about all the trappings of middle age — divorce, deteriorating appearance (which is hard to believe; Meryl Streep is gorgeous as ever), maturing children, etc. That angst isn't helped by a bland script and oddly pieced-together plot. Streep, Baldwin and Martin are fantastic actors, of course, and they do the best with what they're given, but I still wasn't drawn in or convinced by the movie.

Also, this was one of those irritating instances in which the previews billed the film as a snappy comedy, when it turned out to be more of a tearjerker-reconciliation-self-love deal. And if that's the kind of movie you're looking for, I'd suggest Eat Pray Love — equally uninspired and angst-ridden, but prettier to look at.

Laugh out loud funny!

Author: tanyapapier from United States
23 January 2011

There is something about real life that is more romantic than fantasy.

Its Complicated takes advantage of what much of what is most endearing and funny about people who have been through child raising, marriage and career building--their genuine surprise when they fall in love. Meryl Streep plays a divorced woman with grown children who really doesn't expect to fall in love again and finds that she suddenly has two men after her. If she were 35, this would be typical romantic comedy nonsense but Streep's character is in her 50s, so its believable when she says she doesn't expect to have her ex running after her. Alec Baldwin plays the ex whose amazed to find that his beautiful second wife is not nearly so interesting as his first one. Is this credible? Of course. His first wife is Meryl Streep.

And then there is adorable Steve Martin, the guy who is smart enough to tell Streep that her age is one of the things he likes most about her. Is he kidding? No, the way the two share jokes about the 60s and 70s, it makes complete sense.

The film takes advantage of all kinds of things, including a Skype disaster that has to be one of the most hilarious "almost" sex scenes that I have ever witnessed.

I love this movie and hope it makes tons of money so that Nora Ephron will be able to make many, many more!

All the good things about it simply disappear in the Hollywood fashion of self-righteousness.

Author: axismladen from Croatia
22 January 2011

The first part is good, the middle is good and than it all falls to water with the solution. I liked the storyline, quite simple but satisfying and imaginable, i even liked the part that she's starting to date another man at the same time she's dating her ex-husband again. However the ending is way to clichéd, ordinary and self-righteous to be bought! A lot of feelings are involved and it all has to end in a Hollywood manner. No one's hurt, everything's back to normal etc. That part ruined the whole movie and made it be like any other romantic comedy with some elements of drama existing today.

Why couldn't she and her ex stay together? Here is why - Because he's married to another woman and that would hurt her feelings, Because he has a child with another woman and that would hurt the child's feelings, Because Steve Martin's character is way too good to get hurt and Because their grown children are, out of the blue sky, still not over with their parent's divorce that happened ten years ago and that would hurt their feelings too!!! Pretty ordinary i think! And dull!

It's got it's moments i guess, but as it comes closer and closer to the ending they all slowly disappear in the Golden Hollywood standard or better yet rule that sais, it all has to be solved in the best manner for everybody involved. Except for somewhat experienced viewers and critics!!!

Funny!

Author: jerzyrex from Los Angeles
21 January 2011

Much to my surprise I LOVED this film. I was prepared for something mediocre at best, but this ended up becoming one of my all time favorites. It is really really funny. I seldom laugh out loud at a movie, but found myself laughing hard and loud. It's intelligent and touching and at times silly, and very entertaining. While I enjoyed Streep, (how could one not)and Baldwin (he was very good) I absolutely loved Steve Martin. His was an understated and I think brilliant performance. I highly recommend this film and in fact, if I can get a few quiet hours today, plan to watch it again.Alec Baldwin has grown into the part of a fun loving, hysterical character actor and is simply wonderful in this film. Meryl Streep is light, lovable, delioursly amazing as the ex-wife caught between trying to begin dating again when her ex stumbles back into her life and bed. Steve Martin plays his role as a divorced man still trying to get over his divorce but when he meets Meryl things get complicated and the fun keeps whirling. The children are all delighted, shocked and still trying to deal with their parents' divorce of ten years ago when they find out their parents are fooling around again but for things to work out how they all want it to it becomes complicated. You'll roll with laughter, feel the emotional ties of family and life and have a great time being in the lives of these people for 2 hours. As a gay man with a partner of 25 years we both were glued to the movie and felt so satisfied with the picture, Baldwin, Streep and Martin have a great chemistry and we'd love to see them together in another film. Rent it, buy it but for sure see this beautifully filmed picture filled with love."

loved the movie

Author: sheila-prescott1 from salt lake city, utah
4 January 2011

Loved the movie. Very funny and liberating. I loved Meryl's wardrobe. Who is the designer? She looked great!!! I loved the movie so much I watched it twice. I hope to see it again soon. I especially liked the part where she meets Steve Martin. I expected him to be a comedian. It was refreshing to see him playing a different character. He was kinda simple, but genuine!! He was the safe and cautious one. Alex Baldwin was over the top. He was so self absorbed and lonely-looking for love. When really he alread had it all. He couldn't see it. I also loved the cooking part. I am a 50 year old chef and my husband is a chef also. I was happy to say, they did not spend a lot of time in the kitchen!