IMDb > It's Complicated (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

It's insulting

Author: chandra33140 from Miami Beach, Fl
28 December 2009

Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin play a long divorced couple. He is remarried to a much younger woman with a kid who will make you justify infanticide. They end up in bed together in NYC, then they continue their affair back home. In the meantime, Jane is being pursued by a nerdy architect, played by the unfailingly white-haired Steve Martin, while Jake has to put up with his wife efforts to have another baby. Everybody is white, successful, wealthy and well-mannered even in extreme circumstances. Jane owns a thriving bakery and even her employees are all white, no trace of god-forbid Hispanics, so common in California. Jane and Jake have a young son and two whiny daughters, who seem to have an idyllic relationship with their parents, no matter what. The setting is glossy, the cast amazing, the dialogue atrocious and the pace slow. Everything is so dipped in syrup it's disgusting. Nancy Meyer never again.

It's Stupid

Author: Rubicx from Los Angeles
21 December 2010

Why was the crap even produced? Why would Meryl Streep even lower herself and do this? Did she need money? Not even bad TV is as bad as this movie, where the storyline is basically sex. I have to add ten lines to have my review accepted, so here it is: it's stupid, it's pointless, it's dumb, it came out of Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel, it's talky, it has no value, no meaning, dreadful writing, cliché, worthless, silly, cutesy, blah, blah, blah. Since the movie will be quickly forgotten, with good reason, I don't even have 10 lines to write about it, because it's not even worth 10 lines. Blah, Blah, Blah, which is basically the dialogue of this movie. Am I at 10 lines yet? Yuck. Dreadful movie, despite the "stars."

Nauseating

Author: ferdinand1932
8 October 2010

The scene where Jane (Streep) confesses all to her adult children who are all tucked under a bed sheet, beside each other, wide eyed, and shocked, summarizes everything that is awful with this movie. It is both immature and weird. Adults behaving like children - or adolescents - is what happens throughout this predictable and mind numbing experience, and is why it is so banal.

The terrain of divorce and romantic/sexual love could be engaging and witty, with real adult dialog and intelligence, but Streep's Jane giggles like a little girl; she reacts to the men rather than be the agent of her life, and the male characters are like archetypes from a supermarket self help guide.

There is nothing original or intelligent happening here. Instead it is replete with Baby Boomer sentimentality, incomplete emotional development, and worst of all, lacks any dramatic sparkle.

Rich white people working through problems all the while being rich and white

Author: Wes Lambert (mockingmovies@gmail.com) from United States
6 May 2010

The set-up for "It's Complicated" seemed promising - middle aged woman (Meryl Streep) who thinks she has her post divorce life figured out finds herself "the other woman" when she starts an affair with her ex husband (Alec Baldwin). Meryl Streep does all things well including comedy and Alec Baldwin is the perfect fit for a character who is full of himself and conveniently self delusional. Throw in Steve Martin and John Krasinksi (who mines comic gold each week on "The Office") and I was expecting a diverting 120 minutes. Instead this movie irritated me continuously for 2 hours. What went wrong? I am going to cut the actors some slack and lay the blame at the feet of director and writer Nancy Meyers. She tends to write movies that have a thin veneer of neurotic self-entitlement. Sometimes it works or is at least tolerable as in "The Holiday" but here she lays it on a bit thick. Streep's Jane is the type of woman who has feng shui'd her life into submission, watches "The Hills" with her daughter, and makes ice cream when she can't sleep ( funny, all I get are bags under my eyes). Her romantic dilemma is a choice between two men - an architect who lost his wife to another man on a couples bike tour of Italy and the ex who lives under the twin threat of his younger wife's fascist ovulation schedule and a demon step-child. Cliché on top of cliché that eventually eclipses the acting.

Speaking of acting. What a waste to have Jim Krasinksi in this movie. His role as Jane's future son-in-law is to wince, shrug, smile and sigh. Note to Nancy Meyers, facial expressions and body language are only the beginning of emoting and not the final product. Last note and then I will stop beating up on the movie, I promise. I don't know what Jane's three adult children are supposed to represent but they are harpy, over emotional and creepy in a Stepford sort of way. As a child of divorce I can tell you I would've ended up in therapy if anyone ever suggested snuggling in bed with my adult siblings as comfort from a divorce that happened ten years prior.

Familiar story with a simple flow

Author: Buddhika M H from Sri Lanka
10 February 2010

Well for a start this a familiar story to most movie lovers I guess. Divorced couple going through hard times in their new lives, coming together because of some family get together, refreshing their relationship and so on….. But should say its not anything boring, it has some real moments and good laughs.

Well after years of separation of separation much have changed. Maybe after all they have changed into the people they always wanted each other to be ? (This too seem to be the point most similar story movies trying to capture as well) So its all about decisions, there are also other factors such as their children, new partners, careers etc.

About the story of the movie I'm not going much into detail as it might ruin the movie for you. Well talking about the acting senior actors/actress do OK. Alec Baldwin & Steve Martin do a good job. But sometimes younger group seems to go over the top with over acting. Well maybe its not that bad, maybe its just me. Also when watching the movie all characters seems to be given with strict orders of what kind of stereotype he/she is. Especially the minor characters; for example take Harley - funny man in charge of comical department of the movie, Gabby – innocent/childish daughter, Adam - geeky architect , Agnes – evil woman (which is bit of a twist really, because after all she is the legal wife of the main character, who's having the affair with the 'good' woman).

One reason I watched the movie was its said to be a good comedy, and happy to say it really is. Even with serious events, there are few laughs around. Sometimes its obvious that comical part is bit detached and added artificially to the story. But it really tickles, so Harley has done a good job.

All in all as I said it's a familiar but interestingly done story, hilarious moments, good acting from the main lot. Even though the title says 'Its Complicated' movie it self is just an ordinary. ;) So in conclusion it's a good movie to watch.

Sell Out Nancy!

Author: njmollo from London
9 January 2010

Something's Gotta Give is a classic. It's Complicated is the exact opposite.

If you want to see a forced and contrived movie, then this is it. The lives of these people are shallow, materially abundant and extravagant. They are not forced to think on any level that might appear familiar with most people on the planet. These characters are all totally unconcerned with sordid reality and so live aimlessly in a world of Hollywood fantasy.

Unfortunately, the cast bring with them the baggage of their "real" Hollywood personal lives. Alec Balwin can act quite well, especially as a villain but his 'real life' verbal abuse of his own daughter made his character in this movie impossible to take. We know he is not a nice guy, so stop trying to convince us otherwise. The question I asked was should Alec Baldwin be left alone in a room with a child or even a woman, for than matter?

Steve Martin also brings some newly upholstered baggage to the proceedings. I was never engaged or convinced by his performance. In fact it was creepy in its egregiousness. Why? ...because I kept wondering what the hell has he done to his face?

Don't actors know that their faces and the character that builds in them over time in the way of wrinkles and sags are essential, even normal and certainly nothing to be ashamed of?

The world of Meryl Streep's character is a very small one and also inward looking. Yes, she works in a trendy well-stocked restaurant of plenty but this is tagged on as an excuse for her affluent existence. In "reality" she only has her family and some girlfriends that appear briefly, so no wonder she ends up in bed with her x-husband. Even the love-interest of the architect has to enter her world to be considered as lover material.

This film is life-style aspirational propaganda particularly aimed at North America. Are we watching Streep and her sorry situation or her kitchen and wishing we had one just like it.

A flop by Nancy Meyers

Author: Stefano Fiore (cfcpg@tiscali.it) from Rome, Italy
17 December 2010

The first thing wrong with the movie is the title. "It's complicated" is a lousy title. Weak. Indicative of what the movie will be.

From the very first scene the movie struggles to look like SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE but it isn't. Everyone here is so unreal, fake and so successful! It doesn't make sense.

Another big problem is the casting. Where on Earth did Nancy Meyers get the 3 kids of Baldwin-Streep? I think I could look at their pictures for hours, go out on the streets and meet them and I wouldn't recognize them! Insignificant. The moment they are off the screen I already forgot how they look like. In the extras of the DVD of SGG Nancy Meyers praises herself for having casted Amanda Peet (the daughter of the Diane Keaton character) because "Amanda looks like a daughter". Instead in this movie the children of Baldwin-Streep look like 3 idiots and that's all. Detestable.

Is is a little hard for the audience to believe that Baldwin-Streep are having so much sex if on screen they don't even kiss each other on the cheek! Nicholson and Keaton did a great jog under that aspect in SGG. In the extra of the DVD all the actors were happy about how "great" everyone was and how much fun they had shooting the movie. I need Katherine Hepburn here: "show me a happy set and I will show you a dull movie".

Sickening bourgeoise tosh

Author: davidgduncan from Australia
30 April 2010

Actually, the film started off a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be, but sickening bourgeoise tosh it is none the less. If your parents are 65+ and are the boring middle class, never really did anything exciting kind, then they'll quite like this movie. For me, someone that's got a bit of class about them, this is tosh of the most exquisite kind.

And why so, you ask. Oh gosh, don't allow me to bore myself by discussing the extremely weak narrative of this "story". Divorcees have an affair, and it gets complicated. That's what we got from the trailer and the title, and there ain't much more to it.

So what of the acting. It has Meryl Streep, Alex Baldwin, Steve Martin and the "funny" guy from The Office (US). Funnily enough all of these actors have one thing in common, they're all over rated. And there was another star in the movie too, not quite sure if the credit should go to Colgate or McLeans but it certainly was the act of smiling. The Office guy being particularly guilty of this. I wish I could get paid millions for pulling an inane smile for a few on-screen minutes. What kind of schmucks do they take us for? Of course the other actors pail into insignificance, as does the whole film after the first 30 mins, at which point it simply becomes as unwelcome as your second bout of piles.

Good production values, awful everything else, unless you love smiles and schmaltz. And if you were hoping that any of the main actors may live up to their reputations / bank balances, they don't.

Very disappointing

Author: selffamily from New Zealand
8 July 2010

Wondered what this would be like - after all Mama Mia was dreadful, and even though I'm in the target group for loving it (over 50, woman etc) I found it sad and overindulgent. My first impression on seeing the family house was of the clutter, and then I spent much of the film being aghast at what surgery has done to a couple of the main characters. I haven't see Alex Baldwin in anything for years, and he's very good. But what is the matter with people? why did the main character need permission from her psychiatrist to shag her ex-husband - or anyone? Why were the three adult kids so wimpish? Why didn't they all just suck it up and get on with life? Why do rich people park their cars so far from their houses and get wet? I couldn't help wondering how the Brits would have produced this - or the Australians. A much funnier picture, I'd be bound, and with less angst. Message to the producers - we're not all children out here, needing stuff to be spelled out letter by letter; a bit of subtlety is OK. I see now why I don't watch many modern movies from America - they have become unbearable.

shallow and self-indulgent

Author: David Wells from United Kingdom
31 January 2010

What a stinker of a film! As lazy, sentimental and self-indulgent as its vacuous central characters, it centres on a divorcée played by Streep, tempted to hook up again with her (now remarried) ex played by Alec Baldwin. Good performances by Streep and Steve Martin as the other man in her life are still not sufficient to generate any really sympathy for these over-privileged and self-absorbed individuals. Had they done so then a conclusion that leaves their relationships unresolved would have been a frustrating cop out - as it is one is just glad to escape their company.

Imagine a weak Woody Allen, without Allen's wit or intelligence and you will have an idea what to expect. Best avoided.

Page 2 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]