IMDb > A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sammy's avonturen: De geheime doorgang

A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures More at IMDbPro »Sammy's avonturen: De geheime doorgang (original title)

Simple, but very enjoyable

Author: Cesar Santos from Brazil
22 January 2011

This is a beautiful animation with fun 3D sequences. It has a simple story with an ecological message but as the movie is aimed at kids that is actually a good thing. The story and message will not fly over the little ones' heads.

The characters are likable and the story's pace go on the right speed, not dragging itself or going too fast.

Good fun for kids and parents as well.

I've watched a dubbed version on Brazilian Portuguese so I can't speak for the original voice work, but this version I watched was very well done.

The English version features the voices of stars like Melanie Grifith and Tim Curry.

I highly recommend the 3D version as the movie has many sequences that will not be as entertaining and good looking on the 2D version.

Gave it a 10 for the 3D

Author: barryhomework04 from Thailand
22 November 2010

Don't listen to the 3D snobs, the 3D on this film is wonderful. My kids watched it in Thai while I listened to tunes on my I-Pod (because I can't speak Thai). Amazing. If you're a teenager looking for fart jokes, glib one-liners, sexual innuendo, or pop culture references, you'll be disappointed. But if you can just relax into the outdoor and underwater and nature scenery you'll have a great time. The 3D pops out at you like the old traditional style on steroids. During the scene where the turtles are hatching, it actually feels like you're leaning over a hole on the beach. Snakes and piranhas jump out of the screen and and tiny fish hover at your nose.

I do agree the story seemed kind of cliché. But if you are looking for a kind of thrill ride of 3D with wonderful art direction, you'll love it. So glad I have kids or might never have experienced the best 3D I have personally experienced.

A decent school holiday movie for the kids, but remember to go for the 3D version

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
13 December 2010

What is the most effective way to make a person feel guilty for being part of the human race? Try making him or her sit through a movie about a cute-looking, adorable-sounding baby sea turtle who struggles to survive against environmentally unfriendly human activity. Swimming through his adventures in the open ocean, Sammy has as much fun as an undertaker on his first day of work. As if contending against natural predators isn't bad enough, he has to dodge plastic litter, trawl fishing nets, illegal dump and oil spills, with only his fragile little shell on his back.

Though the praiseworthy green message behind the movie is no less deserving of being explored on the big screen, its delivery is all quite off-putting. For one thing, Sammy's Adventures is presented like a kids' picture book on sea turtles facts – too direct and simple with only a watered-down plot regarding a turtle's desire to see the world to hang onto. Think: this is how sea turtles look like and this is what they eat, this is where they go when they're swimming around in the ocean, this is what they have to go through to survive and this is what we as people, need to do to help them. In fact, at the end of the movie, after going through all of the terrible events of his life, Sammy literally tells us, almost word for word that 'humans should be more environmentally-conscious and that sea turtles need their help to survive, now, more than ever.'

Granted, the makers are probably trying to reach out to young audiences with its simple language and story – the target group of this type of genre, but it sounds just a tad too preachy for the rest of us. On a whole, it just lacks the charm and humour that both children and non- children alike, would look forward to in an animated cartoon. They do try to inject some light-heartedness with the funny sidekick character of Sammy's best friend as voiced by Anthony Anderson. If you think he sounds like that black computer hacker genius guy who was taken in by the secret service for looking at the thumbdrive with the secret information in it, then you are right – it is him.

To be fair, it's not by Disney Pixar, but the look of the movie is decently entertaining for anyone of any age. And, we have to most probably thank 3D technology for that. The various fast-motion travelling scenes are enjoyable to sit through because tricking your brain into thinking that your body is moving when it's actually not and having things popping up and flying into your face, is always fun.

Works in 2-D too

Author: kosmasp
5 December 2011

I only watched in 2-D (the cinema was only showing it that way). It was mostly filled with the target audience (kids), but even as an adult you can enjoy the movie. There is of course an underlying message "hidden" in the movie, bit it never is too heavy. So there is no danger of the movie being too preachy (something another movie did and therefor failed in my opinion, to be a better movie).

You have to have a soft spot for animals (even if animated) of course to like this. Or you just take your kids/nephews to see it and you won't be disappointed. The animation and voice work are decent enough (don't expect Pixar quality), too.

A good kid's movie

Author: aleconstantine from Mexico
31 January 2012

This is a cute movie with a nice message. Some people seem to think there's too much "humans being evil" in the movie, but that's because pretty much everything humans do to the oceans is evil. There is no exaggeration fact, I was impressed they found a way to put the good side to human activity as well.

Aside from the obvious artistic license concerning talking, sentient animals, the movie gets a lot of things right including the species of turtles nesting on the same beach, what they eat, natural predators, floating on rafts of seaweed, a sedentary octopus, the dangers of plastic and so on.

I gave this movie such a high rating because it's my daughter's favourite - we have it on DVD and she love's it. Now, my daughter is two years old, and it's certainly not good enough for me to watch over and over again, but I think it's great for her.

entertaining, great soundtrack and good message

Author: caritherage from United States
28 August 2012

I hadn't heard of this movie at all before stumbling onto it on Netflix, so I had no expectations. My husband and I watched it with our two year old son and we all greatly enjoyed it. My son asks to watch it again regularly. Great animation, intriguing story and enjoyable music to accompany it. It does carry a strong message about the environment, pollution, human interference, etc., but I didn't find it bothersome, since it was presented in such a way as to influence kids to be more conscientious about their actions and about the world around them (and really, what is wrong with promoting that sort of behavior?). The story does not steer away from the very real dangers that sea turtles face, so if you have a sensitive or squeamish kid, you may want to pass on this for now, but my son wasn't negatively affected by it at all. Some have suggested the message is too liberal, or that it is annoying to be preached to during a movie, but as a non-liberal myself, I didn't come away with that feeling at all. The issues presented were fact-based, so if you find it distasteful, then feel free to stick your head back in the sand and ignore the reality that surrounds us all. All in all, I recommend this movie!

Wonderful 3D and characterizations

Author: modgirl-3 from United States
20 May 2012

I have a 3D TV and this is my first online purchase. I love movies about animals, but I don't love movies where humans are demonized. To the credit of the movie, some were not. The animals were adorable, the 3D graphics were incredible and it was a lovely story over all.

The part that bothered me was the humans being the bad guys. Yes, we do stupid things. But when Sammy's best friend eats jelly fish, they didn't focus on the peril it put the jelly fish's family under. Or when the shark was trying to eat them, they just took it for granted it was nature's way.

Nature has given us a bit more skills than found in nature and we can do things that look a lot ickier when taken out of context. But on the same vein we have Fluffy, trying to keep his humans, Vera, saving her fellow turtles, and other humans helping save the wildlife they endanger.

Look at the overall story and you see that it all comes together. We are not evil, just misguided. Put the beautiful graphics with the lovely animal characters and enjoy the movie for the beauty of it and try to pretend they aren't crucifying humans. We aren't all like that. Not even close.

The last 10 minutes made it all worth while. I cried. I don't cry. To acknowledge nature needs humans to help them survive made the movie complete. For some reason, I have deep need to love a turtle right now. :-)

Really great 3D Movie

Author: Anne Van Looveren from Belgium
25 August 2012

Finally I saw a 3D movie with real 3D effects coming right out of the screen. My kids loved it and they wanted to grab the 3D effects which is the best proof of a good 3D.

The storyline was fun and also some good thrills but without frightening too much young children. I liked also the message that animals have to live in free nature.Makes you think twice if you want to win a goldfish on a village fair just to drop it in a small aquarium bowl.

The soundtrack was great and I hope that it will be available on CD or MP3 download?

We all (young and old) enjoyed the movie and the extra price for the 3D was this time worth it.

Don't miss this one!

Author: gregoryjamescurtis from Canada
5 July 2012

This is a wonderful film that all ages will enjoy. It is very educational, in covering the life of a turtle, and it is fascinating to watch Sammy and his friends grow up. The script is peppered with events in human history that the turtles can only ponder over, such as a space capsule returning to the ocean after the first lunar landing, and a messy oil spill. At its heart, "A Turtle's Tale" is a love story, with wonderful moments of poignancy. The animation and depiction of sea creatures are beautiful, and the film overall has dazzling colours. The voice talents are all great, and it is clear a lot of care was put into casting each role. The soundtrack, comprised of contemporary pop tunes, is also very entertaining. This is a film that will stick in your memory until it demands a subsequent viewing.

Well, well, well. Good movie for kids... but enjoyable to anyone!!

Author: R Uddin from Bangladesh
6 August 2011

I have finished watching the movie right now and I am totally satisfied with it.

I am fond of animated movies till i watched "The Monster Ink". While I started "Sammy's Adventure" I was a little bit confused about it. As the plot of the movie is the ocean and one of my most favorite movies (Finding Nemo) also plotted there, I thought, better to say was afraid, the movie will fail to reach my level of satisfaction. But at the end it got a good score from me.

Finding Nemo is certainly a classic movie and I guess with a similar plot no movie will be able to overtake its image and appeal. But this adventure touched me with one of its unique feature that HUMAN DO THINK FOR THE NATURE.

Someone may find this one too easy going, may be slow moving, but I assure you take your kids with you, go back to your childhood and watch the movie. You will enjoy I am sure. If you don't have a kid, no matter go to your old days.

So, I think this is a good movie for kids... but enjoyable to anyone!!