IMDb > The Storm (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
De storm

The Storm More at IMDbPro »De storm (original title)

Missed chance

Author: ochichornye
26 September 2009

This could have been a very important movie. The 1953 floods, in which thousands of people lost their lives, was probably the biggest historical event in the Netherlands since the second world war. As far as I know, this is its first major cinema treatment, with the technology to make the storm scenes credible. But that's just about all that's credible.

The dominating storyline, of a single mother in search for her lost baby, supported by a deserted naval officer, was melodramatic and totally incredible. The dialog was wooden and full of anachronisms, the soundtrack often out of sinc with lip movements, and the sappy, swelling music in every scene irritating. Those whose mother tongue isn't Dutch won't mind, but there is no attempt at regional accents by any of the main characters, which would at least give the dialog a hint of authenticity. Some of the actors even had Flemish accents, very different from Zeeuws.

A big miss.

Visual effect are pretty good, the story is too poor!

Author: spdalmolen from Netherlands
21 September 2009

This film is about the flooding of the south west part of The Netherlands in 1953. After the dikes broke away, Julia, mother of an illegitimate child, tries to escape from the rising water with her family and child. When she loses her child in the chaos, she tries to find him back. Along with Aldo, who saved her from drowning, she wanders through the flooded village to find her child. Although the visual effects are pretty impressive, the story is simply not good enough. The flooding and its disastrous consequences are completely subordinate to the lengthy (and sometimes annoying) search of a mother for her missing child. A missed opportunity for a Titanic-like Dutch disaster film.

A huge event turned into a truly disappointing movie

Author: billwolters-1 from Netherlands
20 September 2009

56 years after the devastating 'big flood' of 1953 the tragedy finally makes it to to the big screen. After a wait this long it's even more a shame that such a big event in Dutch history turned out to be such a disappointing movie. Where other movies, like for instance Titanic, successfully use a personal drama as a metaphor for the bigger picture, 'De Storm' gets lost in a totally unrealistic and very one dimensional story about a woman losing her baby. The movie ends up almost ignoring the tragedy all those other thousands of people where facing during this flood. The characters in this movie aren't properly introduced so as a spectator you feel no connection at all with the leading roles. The dialogs are very poor and the acting, especially from leading lady Sylvia Hoeks, is a disgrace!!!

Just do yourself a favor and avoid this movie

The Storm

Author: Jennifer Robinson from Brisbane, Australia
26 May 2011

I am from Australia and had never heard of the great flood of 1953 in Zeeland so this was not only a movie I enjoyed for the content but also made me aware for the first time of such a tragic event for so many people. As a mother and grandmother, the storyline was very heartfelt as I think losing a baby, no matter in what circumstances, would be something you would never recover from fully. Even though several reviews are critical of the movie and its title, I can see where the director and writer were coming from. Not only was it about the infamous storm of 1953, the main character also lived through her own personal storm whilst searching for her baby. This storyline took the viewer inside one story out of thousands from that period and personalised it by showing the event itself, a mother's maternal instinct to protect and do everything to find her baby, as well as the culture and moral expectations of the 1950s which were maintained even through such a catastrophe. I enjoyed the movie - as much as you can enjoy watching such a tragedy - and as the version I saw used sub-titles the dialogue and out-of-sync moments didn't affect my viewing of it.

Good movie, not great

Author: Coen Deurloo from Netherlands
17 September 2009

I've seen this movie yesterday, also during the Film by the Sea festival in Vlissingen.

I really liked how the movie started, lots of tension building up and the special effects are very well done. If you want to learn more about the 1953 flood though, then this movie might not be the best choice. I was hoping for a more in depth movie about this subject, but the movie focuses more on a personal story that happens during (and partly because of) the flood.

The overall acting was mediocre, and only Sylvia Hoeks as our main character seems to be displaying some genuine emotions. The first thing I noticed was that the actors use almost no local dialect ('Zeeuws'). Even though it's not very realistic and probably done to appeal for a larger (Dutch) audience, I liked the choice.

Horribly bad

Author: Mariade Nobella
28 January 2013

Really, just read the book. I cannot even begin to compare it to this film. Bad acting, bad lines, wrong accents, and a thousand things missing in (and different to) the storyline.

The book catches the feelings and circumstances of main character Julia so well, you'll actually start feeling the same way she does and will want to pursue her goal of finding her baby even beyond the very end. The true tragedy and injustice of her situation will still hold you in it's grasp for a long time after finishing the book.

By the by, also there is more attention to the flooding and it's consequences to the people living there.

(Book is called '1953' by Rik Launspach)

good movie from start to end , very realistic .

Author: evk310 from nyc
23 September 2009

i also saw this movie yesterday , i was impressed , i think it was a great movie ,

the big action in the beginning of the movie , didn't make you fall asleep.

instead of a boring talking start of the movie , it shows you immediately the big bang , how the water destroyed the helpless people by surprise. it shows very realistic how this all did happen. now finally we all can see and understand what the people had been through in 1953.

BUT the movie is not ABOUT the storm , . if people see this movie , they might expect to see a movie about the storm like a disaster movie. there is lots of disaster to see but the storm was not the big subject here .

the real story here is about a mother looking for her disappeared baby. the storm disaster itself here is just a part of the movie to show in what time this story did happen.

for this reason i think they could have called the movie a different name ,

because this movie was all about the young mother , they could have called the movie , The Zeeuws Girl , just an example

( Zeeuws because that is the name from the area where she lives) that would have been a more honest name for this movie. because the movie is about HER and her baby . and then when people see the movie they find out it all happened during the storm .

Just like in MASTERPIECE The Pianist . they didn't call the movie THE WAR ! because that movie was not ABOUT that war but about that pianist , than watching the movie you find out it happened during that war . a very cool way and honest way for a movie to profile itself. that movie would probably confuse when Polanski would call that movie THE WAR , and then people would see a movie about a pianist , so 10 points for Polanski by the way ... so no confusion creating by wrong chosen name for a movie

i understand why they want to call this movie THE STORM , because they want to attract people with this name , but too bad it gives confusion when people will see a film about a mother and her baby . still a great movie . and still a must see .

i liked everything about it. would actually be better if her son in the end was meeting his never met younger sister or brother . where are the new kids from the mother ? did she never get new kids again with her new boyfriend ? that would be a nice happy end . maybe i should be a filmmaker ?

lucky in this movie they didn't speak in Zeeuws dialect , nobody would probably understand that dialect , except of course the people who speak that dialect in that area.

go see the movie and be ready to wipe your tears.

Not good.

Author: belleherder from Netherlands
1 February 2012

I looked forward to this movie, because of the true story of the Storm in 1953. I was very disappointed. The flood came immediately in the beginning, you didn't even know the characters yet. The flooding itself was good to see. However, the main character Julia was very unlikeable and the acting was terrible. There was no emotion in her acting, even though her sisters and mother were dead and here baby was missing. The same look for the hole movie. The storyline was really unbelievable and the end.. well, you should see it to believe how terrible it is. The characters were in the water for a long time, that would not have been possible because of the temperature of the water. Maybe it was because I had too high expectations, but as i said, I was really disappointed.

Not a good movie (may contain spoilers !)

Author: iebee from Netherlands
27 July 2010

I've seen this movie on video, and was not impressed at all. The 1953 flood was an unbelievable disaster, 1800 people died in that night. That does not come out at all in the movie. A lot of water, but no drama. Why does Julia not look in the basket when she recognized the crying of the baby ? Why doesn't she even try to pull out her mother or sister ? When she goes under herself in the beginning, you see strands of hair floating as if she is wearing a wig. Her hair is dry when she arrives at the party in the beginning of the movie, although she has been going to the party on a bicycle in a heavy rainstorm, with only a fabric scarf.

World Premiere in Vlissingen

Author: moviemaster71 from Netherlands
13 September 2009

We had the privilege to see this movie on his World Premiere in Vlissingen. The actual area where this took place.

It was also the start of the "Film by the Sea" film festival and the whole Dutch film world was invited.

It is a beautiful film, well done with special effects which you don't see actually and a gripping story. All the performances are believable and if you like "De Tweeling" and "Bride Fligt" from the same director then you have to see this movie ! After the screening there was a huge party and we met a lot of famous actors from the Netherlands. We had a great night ! So for me this is a 8 out of 10.

Enjoy the movie, we did !

Michel van Dam The Netherlands.