IMDb > Same Kind of Different as Me (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Same Kind of Different as Me

Same Kind of Different as Me More at IMDbPro »

All about the story and the acting

Author: jkwjr
20 October 2017

This movie is a throwback to Hollywood's earlier days in the sense that it's all about the story and the acting. There's not a special effect to be seen.

The story is powerful. And the acting amazing. I had read the book and listened to an audio version, so I knew what was going to happen, and I was still moved. Djimon Honsou is terrific.

If you are looking for a light, fun night at the cinema, Same Kind of Different as Me is not your film. If you are looking for a memorable movie with powerful acting, it is.

Great Story. Superbly Moving Film That's Very Well Crafted.

Author: Big Unit from United States
20 October 2017

"We are all homeless, working our way home." Truly powerful insight delivered remarkably well from an emotional and powerful film. I had no idea going in that this was a true life story. I enjoyed the trailer and took a flier on the cast. I'm extremely pleased that I did.

All these Oscar nominees and winners brought their A-game and have delivered one of the better movies of the entire year. I wouldn't even classify this as a faith based film. In fact, Greg Kinnear's character never seems to embrace any particular religious sentiment. It's a true story of a woman's kindness and generous soul that is still reverberating through many people's lives. Her simple philosophy of feeding the homeless and SEEING them bares fruit in many ways. Her life and by extension those who are carrying her torch are one's to admire and even strive to emulate.

Her (Renee Zellweger) story is told through the eyes of her art dealer's husband (Greg Kinnear) and heavily involves a homeless person (Djimon Hounsou) who we get to know as the film unfolds. Great racial strife and emotional scenes of his life are seen through flashbacks. Overall, all three character arcs are moving and fleshed out amazingly well. It is a slow burn as the first act sets up very slowly. The pacing improves and the journey experienced is worth the exposition. While not a perfect movie (pacing issues, Hounsou's Denver character shifts fast from crazy violent homeless man to wise sage, severe marital problems glossed over quickly) it is a movie that will make you think and even move you to tears.

A powerful character driven film

Author: robsargeant-1
22 October 2017

Same Kind of Different as Me is a powerful character driven film. Actor, Djimon Hounsou's excellent portrayal of Denver, a colored homeless man who through divine intervention becomes friends with a wealthy white couple, (played convincingly by Greg Kinnear and Renee Zellweger) is flawless. The journey they're taken on changes them all for the better.

The movie reminded me of some of the character driven classics made by Frank Capra.

Excellent movie

Author: jacn from United States
24 October 2017

At first, I thought, "Oh no, this is going to be a cheesy religious movie of some kind" but I changed that thinking quickly. It turned out to be extremely thought provoking on several levels. It made me want to do more with my life, reach out to others, and be a better person. Can't beat that for $5.50! I'm telling everyone I know that they should see it.

Deliberately paced, and different from the book, but still pays off in the end

Author: jacobs-greenwood from United States
23 October 2017

Based on the true story of Deborah (Renée Zellweger) and Ron Hall (Greg Kinnear), a wealthy Texas couple who befriended a violent and intimidating homeless man dubbed Suicide but named Denver (Djimon Hounsou), this heartfelt tear-jerking retelling captures the essence if not the full depth of the relationship that transformed these three, the Hall's children and their community.

Central to the movie is Debbie's character, whose faith drives her to forgive Ron's dalliance and involve him in her outreach work at the Union Gospel Mission in Fort Worth. Through a dream, she sees a man that will change the world; that man is manifested in Suicide, a large homeless loner that swings a baseball bat at whomever he feels threatened by at the mission. Debbie pushes a reluctant Ron to reach out to Suicide; Ron learns Suicide's name is Denver, and his harrowing background. The three of them steadily form a friendship and relationship of trust that includes their children Regan (Olivia Holt) and Carson (Austin Filson).

Unfortunately, as Denver predicts, because Debbie is making a positive impact on the world for the Lord, she attracts of the attention of His enemy, and is stricken with terminal cancer. However, she deals with her illness most gracefully and there are some sweet family moments to the end.

For fans of the book (like me), as is typically the case, there are some significant differences between the book and this movie including the focus of the title itself: the funeral speech draws a link between Denver and Debbie whereas the book's title refers to the sameness between Denver and Ron! Several important scenes have been altered (e.g. Denver praying outside Debbie's hospital has been replaced with a scene of the two of them sitting silently tearful on a bench) or cut (Denver doesn't drive Regan cross country) and Ron's entire background has been left out (though it's alluded to through the retrospective plot device of his writing the book) while an alternative storyline with his father Earl (Jon Voight) has been inserted (as a proxy for Denver's care of Mr. Ballantine?).

That being said, I'm still recommending the movie as the book's essential themes of love - and how that is manifested in outreach to the poor, forgiveness and hope are still intact.

The closing credits indicate that this was a 2016 production; the movie was originally slated for release in April, 2016, which was then pushed to February, 2017 before it was finally released on October 20, 2017. Besides the shift from Paramount Pictures to Pure Flix Entertainment for distribution, there may also have been other changes (reshoots and reediting?) that account for these delays.

Pleasantly Surprised!

Author: logan-95767
22 October 2017

Saw "Same Kind of Different as Me", today, and found it to be a movie with much food for thought. I knew nothing of its background, nor that it came from a best-selling novel that was true. Few movies, this year, have had much substance, so this one was a pleasant surprise. The acting was quite good. Djimon Honsou is a new actor to me, and I found him to be quite touching in his role as a homeless man.

Bound to be the most under appreciated movie of the year, yet a very fine film

Author: fullheadofsteam from United States
1 November 2017

That this movie has not received the publicity and advanced advertising that it truly deserves is shameful -- the producers and production studio should be ashamed of themselves and they will reap their due reward from low attendance and most likely box office profit loss. This film definitely is worth its proverbial weight (cost) in gold. First and foremost is the plot itself, which propels the human instinct of avoidance of the uncomfortable, as with dirty homeless people, to a higher plane of reaching out, in caring rather than invasive ways, in order to actually help those less fortunate despite their social handicaps. That there is a Christian spirit about this movie is without doubt, but there is no specific religious dogma or theology. There is no "action", there is no graphic violence, there is no nudity, there is no profanity -- how completely refreshing in a movie. It is all character and dialog driven -- the acting is absolutely top notch, the dialog thoughtful and smart. The theme: reconciliation in all of our weakened or seemingly broken relationships if possible, with the onus being on ourselves to make the effort, in other words doing what we can to heal ourselves, and then being able to effectively, meaningfully reach out to and help those less fortunate, with respect rather than pity. This movie is a true treasure which, sadly I fear, will be missed by a very large audience due to lack of effective promotion.

Wow, another great, remarkable movie based on a true story

Author: svhot (svhot34@gmail.com)
29 October 2017

The title of this movie ("Same kind of different as me") is what attracted my attention and curiosity to watch it. I was amazed and quite impressed with this movie. Before watching it, I did not know that it was based on a real-life story, or that a book had been written featuring this true story. I do not care how similar or different the plot of this film is from the book, because as a movie, I loved it a lot.

The basic story revolves around a Texas couple, Deborah (Renee Zellweger) and her husband Ron (Greg Kinnear) who attempt to help homeless people. One night, Deborah sees a dream about a man who will make a special impact on his community, and / or the world ; that man turns out to be Denver (Djimon). Initially, Denver seems to have developed an image of a violent man who will attack anyone who he classifies as a threat ; but, as the movie progresses and as the couple befriend him, he reveals his entire story to them (and to viewers). The plot progresses in a " poetic style " and ultimately reaches its inevitable climax.

This movie is very timely and relevant, because life today has become very materialism-driven. This rare gem film attempts to teach everyone that we all should help each other, when required. Humanity, brotherhood, and love must be placed first on everyone's priority list. Regardless of the fact whether you are a businessman, politician, model, or a regular worker - if you can help someone, then do it. This is the main theme of this magnificent movie.

The acting is outstanding, and the direction is commendable. I would love to become a story-screenplay writer for movies because intriguing stories develop in my mind all the time. Employers can contact me at svhot34@gmail.com

So much better than most films made today

Author: daveimboden-04437 from United States
13 November 2017

Even though I'm not attracted to most Christian films, I really appreciated the quality of the story, casting, acting and shooting on this film and I'd love to see more like it. So often, our largest and closest movie theater can go for weeks without one movie worth seeing. Kudos to Pure Flix for their work on this ... and blessings on your future efforts to do similarly.

Bring some Kleenex

Author: ReelBig from Canada
25 October 2017

We were excited to see this film. We like almost any film that is "based on a true story". We especially like the "follow up" that comes at the end of such movies. "Same Kind" was not a disappointment on either front. It was powerful. It was deep. It was very dramatic. It was an eye-opener. I think I spent the last 30 minutes with tears in my eyes--but good tears. Would highly recommend this as a "must see" movie.