IMDb > Return of the Ghostbusters (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Return of the Ghostbusters More at IMDbPro »

Best Fan-Film Ever?

Author: Spencer Hall (spencerhall_editor) from Orlando, FL
17 May 2008

That would be an understatement.

Never before, in the history of fan-film-making, has there been such dedication and passion put into a film that would yield NO financial benefits whatsoever. This was a film (video, movie, whatever) put together BY fans, FOR fans, period. If you liked Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II, you'd be hard pressed not to believe that this was Ghostbusters III.

The cast, those returning from 'Freddy Vs. Ghostbusters' and the newcomers, really pull this piece together. I especially thought that Wiess gave an amazing performance.

How many fan-films can boast original music? Well, Jon Vandergriff, along with a few other contributors, make this one a first! The score to this film, from the opening credits, to the ending ones, is nothing short of fantastic.

Now let's talk about the special FX. Wow. When you watch this film, you understand that it is a film made with limited money, resources, and materials, but that's the LAST thing you think when you see the FX. The crew behind the visual fx in 'Return' did their jobs, and they did it well.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that this is an amazing film, as both a fanfilm and a standalone film. It is better than its predecessor in every way (don't get me wrong, I love FvGB).

SEE IT.

Please don't listen to the other reviews

Author: djsizzle25 from United States
9 June 2011

I give this a 5 for effects a 4 on script mainly for the "bad guy" and Egon's dialog that's it. The rest of the script they should have burned it. Get ready for the cheese when you watch this one. Now I fully understand the meaning of cheesy and we all know what cheese is made from old milk and that's what this is. They stole lines from the original maybe to make it better in their minds. This script is trash. I read the other reviews, I am not sure what movie they saw but they must be either geeks or the actors. This insults the great creation that is Ghost busters. This is worse then that extreme ghost buster cartoon, that also sucks monkey balls. They tried I give them that, but it is painful to watch. They had the tools but no talent with this one, except for Egon they were on the money with him and the bad guy is OK he needs work though. Watch if you must see everything that is ghost busters only, otherwise skip and watch some classic ghost buster cartoons on youtube.

Surprisingly good

Author: fire_u_upever from United States
26 March 2009

I actually watch both pieces by BraxtranFILM but this in particular movie was pretty good coming from an independent film, and yeah I mean with the no 3rd G.B. ever ever ever ever, you'd have to expect it to come from a huge fan. However I felt this wasn't just a fan made movie, I felt this was someone that wanted to really keep true to the Ghostbusters and what it was about. I do have to say that some of it was a bit cheesy and could of done with a bit less, or maybe it might of been some of the actors doing what they did. But I feel for the kinda budget they probably had, they did a marvelous job bring back to life one great classic.

Excellent fan film!

Author: rrandcoyote from Some where in Time and Space
29 March 2009

When I think of fan films, I cringe. In fact, sequels or remakes created by professional, authorized, official production companies cause me various levels gastric distress. (I Spy, Thunderbirds, Star Trek I, War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Invasion of the Body Snatchers just to name a few) Naturally I was skeptical when I started watching Return of the Ghostbusters online. But, instead of being a laughable (or unbearable) gushing, goofy fan mess, it's actually…(I can't believe I'm saying this) It's actually GOOD!!! And, good on just about every level.

They show superb understanding and respect for the original, while being able to pick up the pieces and make their own mark with the work. That ain't an easy task! The plot was interesting and original and included several character stories providing motivation and context for character actions and interactions. Apart from a good script and nice pacing, the cinematography is PDG—well framed and nicely lit, SFX, acting, comedy sense, characters all deserve special note.

The Plucky Girl Reporter is gorgeous and adorable. The boys are engaging and equally adorable. It's all great fun to watch.

I'm not saying it's Citizen Kane, but considering it's an amateur work, it's pretty impressive. Clearly these are not just a bunch of idiots with a VHS camera. They're a bunch of very TALENTED idiots with many skills (not unlike Ackroyd, Reitman, Ramis, Murray et al).

Great work folks! Hope you get to make more of these, or better yet…I hope you get snapped up as professional filmmakers. Thanks!

'So long, and thanks for the good slime....'

Author: shubford smith from London, England
7 November 2009

I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this film. It might have been while I was bored and was looking Ghostbusters on Google, or something like that, nonetheless after coming across a film which was mysteriously titled "Return of the Ghostbusters" I read a few things about on this wonderful site and made the jump to watch it with a group of friends on a Friday night.

My review will be short and pointless to a certain degree, as I feel there is little need to write things which have already been said. Nonetheless I feel compelled to write a review about how much I enjoyed watching this film.

Irrespective of this film's paltry budget and it's existence as a non profit fan film, 'Return of the Ghostbusters' for it's 85 minute duration kept me entertained and laughing throughout.

I watch a lot of films, probably about 2 films per week at the cinema, and do often watch a lot of 'arthouse' cinema (I hate that term!) but it is often easy to forget that cinema/film's a great medium for escapism. Which ROTG truly is. Sure there are some hokey bits now and again, but if you're not laughing at them then you should be and it will be alright! I hope the director continues to make films, I think he has a bright future in film.

Must see for every Ghostbusters fan

Author: meffex from Austria
22 June 2009

I ve just seen "The Return of the Ghostbusters" and I m just in awe. I cant believe this is just a fan film. Its professional in every way! Nice acting, great effects, good storyline. The editing as the gags were on the point. I even liked the one liners! There are tons of good ideas and new features in it to keep the film interesting. For example introducing a new neutrino-pack. Anyone that ever watched one of the previous Ghostbusters-Movies should take at least a look at it. You can feel the love for the material in the movie. I d even pay to see it. Unfortunately I read they wont make another one. Please guys, the world is ready for a return of the return of the ghostbusters. I am for sure! Do us a favor and make another one ... just one more!

Best fan film I've seen

Author: Nikodemus26 from United States
18 April 2009

Fan films are supposed to be just that, films for the fans. Braxton Film definitely took this in to play. This movie can't be used for commercial use, for copyright laws and whatnot. The fact that they knew this, and still took the time and money to make a very good fan film is an amazing feat. I have watched many, many fan films, honestly haven't seen to many good ones, most of them, it is a swing and a miss. But with Return of the Ghostbusters, I was beyond impressed. Braxton Film put together a great movie, with great actors, a good script, great special effects, for in-house effects. It's not your Hollywood glorified CGI, but it does a damn good job. It related great with the old Ghostbuster movies, definitely made for the fans, they kept all the same Ghostbuster language, same types of equipment, etc. Definitely a great storyline, it seems like one that could've been used in a real ghostbusters sequel. Bottom line, I was impressed. Damn good job Braxton Film, I will always trust you in the future, because you make true fan films, not pathetic attempts, like most fan films out there. I enjoyed watching this movie a lot more that a lot of the crap Hollywood is putting out these days. It is nice to see someone who truly cares, and isn't just sucked in by the money. 10 stars, best Fan Film out there, hands down. Also, reference Freddy vs. The Ghostbusters, it is somewhat of a prequel. Keep up the good work, Braxton.

Wow.......

Author: Chris Zindars from Wisconsin, USA
17 August 2008

I have to admit, I was very leery when I somehow stumbled across this. Wife was reading the lame Sci-Fi list posted on Yahoo this morning listing fan listings of the top Sci-Fi films of all times. Couldn't remember what year Ghostbusters was released so I jumped on IMDb to check and stumbled across this little gem. I thought I would give it a shot since I had nothing to do on a lazy Sunday. I am very impressed. For a fan film, this kicked ass in my opinion. For what they had to work with and the budget available, I loved it! I will recommend this to all my friends to check out and enjoy as well. Thank You for bringing the memories of the grand eighties back, but this time on a positive note :) I look forward to checking out other works by Hank Braxtan. Job well done! P.S. I didn't even have a IMDb account before watching this, I felt that compelled to give a review and offer some encouragement to watch this film that I made an account finally after years of using this site.

Henty's done it again

Author: stevenashdominates from United States
7 August 2008

This movie is the best movie ever made. Director Henty Braxtan has made a film for the ages. Imagine a bunch of dudes just totally going to town on ghosts while Henty says "action". It's a marvelous site that I picture when I'm chilling at home with a bottle of Schlitz. The only way this could be better is if it had some Jimmy Buff on the soundtrack. The special effects are amazing and I know it's cause Henty directed someone else to make them that way. Henty is amazing. One time Henty actually invented a time travel machine so he could film this movie in the 80's. That is dedication. Stay tuned for the credits because Henty Braxtan will come out of your TV and give you one of his patented hand shakes.

Wow!

Author: Groddeck from Germany
10 July 2008

I'm a science fiction and horror movie fan and well yes I loved the original Ghostbusters when I was a youth, but compared to the tons of fan film material that were based on the Star Wars series, this was much, much better. I was even frightened watching it, you know, the subtle way! I couldn't get my eyes from the screen!

Mostly everything was very good or gorgeous: -The FX were better than in many a commercial TV series. -The acting was very, very good. My special compliments to the "bad guy"!!! -The cuts were wow! -The dialogues were awesome, my god, who wrote the script? Reitman and Ramis personally?

Yeah, the main characters are kind of like the original ones, but they got this new "russian" guy also and so the casting is an overall good compromise between old and new.

Will somebody please give these guys a TV series? Man, these guys belong in the showbiz!