IMDb > "Hung" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hung"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hung" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Intriguing Show

Author: caferev from United States
20 July 2009

Unlike some others on this site that watch the pilot and think they can claim the entire series to be "sophomoric," I took the time to view three episodes before commenting. In doing so, I've found the series to be the type that leaves me wanting more...and more. I love the relationship dynamics; I love the witty exchanges; and I love the whole sexed up premise of the show--even as a man that boasts an advanced degree.

Sophomoric? I suppose if you're afraid of your own sexuality, of strong women, and of relationships, sure, you might view it that way.

Otherwise, it's a fun new series.

Great Cast, Good Story

Author: truvol7 from United States
3 July 2009

I don't understand why the other reviewers are being so harsh on this show, especially since there's only been one episode! This is obviously a show that has to be set up first, then it will surely kick into gear and fulfill all expectations. I found the idea of this show to be hilarious, and that's something you have to think about the entire time you're watching it. To think that Thomas Jane's character is a guy that once had everything, to only be forced to survive by becoming a gigolo... It's a pretty funny premise for a show if you ask me. The cast of this show is awesome, and all you can do is root for Jane's character Ray as he struggles to get his life back on track by "pleasing" lonely women. In my opinion, you should watch this show with an open mind and don't pay attention to the other reviewers who pride themselves in thinking they are professional critics, because they're probably the same group who thought Entourage wouldn't survive after the first episode. I truly believe "Hung" is sure to surprise, and soon become another HBO classic.

A HUGE hit for HBO

Author: eOneTV from Toronto, Canada
6 July 2009

HBO is bringing something positive into the world…another hit show!

HUNG, showcasing poignant performances by Thomas Jane and Jane Adams, captures the tone of the current American economic climate through the journey of two flawed but lovable characters, Ray Drecker and Tanya Skagle. With authentically relatable situations embedded in the premise (i.e. a high-school basketball coach trying to make ends meet, teenagers coping with the divorce of their parents, an artist succumbing to temp work) HUNG delivers in making a comedy that does not lose its sense of reality.

It's American Beauty for television that will make you laugh and leave you talking the next day.

Wonderful show

Author: ipredictchaos from Germany
4 August 2009

I had a chance to watch episodes 1 to 4, though I'm living in Germany without HBO and I have to admit, that this show got me hooked from minute one. It's not only the actors who have convinced me - of course especially Thomas Jane, Jane Adams and Anne Heche. Actually, what I really admire is the tone of this show: it could have gotten so ridiculous, so absurd, but it's just funny and at the same time very serious. You are watching a man's struggle for money in order to get a burnt house rebuilt and to get his children back from their kind-of-strange mum, and it's getting to you. You wish this man, Ray Drecker, all the best and many "customers" as well as you wish his pimp, Tanya, that she's getting what she's deserved, a bit of appreciation for what she does. I am watching Thomas Jane's career since the stupid but very entertaining "Deep Blue Sea" and I enjoy seeing him in this leading man situation. I am very happy, that HBO has ordered more episodes and I can't wait to see the rest of this season. .. oh, sorry for my bad English :)

Being creative is not always boring

Author: rodrmar70 from Argentina
7 August 2009

A man naturally gifted and a problem to solve.........

Since the worldwide economic meltdown, the vast majority of people working at a non independent basis, had a constant worry: how can I sustain my life and family. This HBO series shows us a original way to solve this problem, at least from the male point of view.

The great thing about this, is that the main characters, are so flawed and clueless about their own life, yet so human and relentless when life really pushed you against the wall. Impossible not to relate to the Thomas Jane role, who has seen life passed him by again and again. He really gave the role a distinctive masculine tone, but a real one, with all the faults we may have, and not in a depressing way.

The prostitution issue is not really the point of this production, it only set the background, and provides a lot of smiles (because it's definitely not a hysterical laughing comedy). Since the troubles with his teenage sons, to the ex wife money driven and his own insecurities; the story will get you interested enough, and waiting for more.

Old story, new approach, good development.

Got my vote.

Good start

Author: Moester_ from Canada
5 July 2009

I just saw the pilot for this show. Its pretty funny and smart.

I liked Thomas Jane's character who's getting slapped around by life. I found it easy to empathise with Jane's character; he's kinda the average man who goes through life kind of coasting and wakes up after everything goes sideways on him. His wife leaves him for a guy with money, he's trying to hold everything together and can't seem to find the time or the energy to do so. Eventually, he takes stock of his life, "wasted" potential, limited options, poor job, non-existent prospect and he turns to his one asset; his skill as a lover and the fact that he's "hung" hence the title of the show. This leads him to prostitute himself.

In the end, his plan goes awry and he finds and unlikely pimp. The pilot sets a great tone and leaves the potential for equal parts comedy and drama. I am looking forward to the development of this series.

We got a winner here!

Author: saltednut from West Coast
14 July 2009

This new HBO series has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It's hard not to relate to a guy who lost everything in a day and age when so many people are going through similar situations. I've been there myself and I understand a lot of his frustrations. To see him cash in on his best "asset" has proved to be very, very interesting. Would we do the same if we were in his predicament? Well, you gotta eat and pay the bills. The writing is excellent. Also, Anne Heche can consider herself very lucky to have gotten this gig. She, too, is pleasant in her role as the ex-wife and it has made me forget all her past scandals, something I didn't think could be possible. Nice, too, to see Thomas Jane in what appears to be a hit for HBO.

I am thoroughly looking forward to episode #3.

The Return of The Punisher

Author: Rogue-32 from L A.
13 July 2009

This show interested me from the subtle title, and when I found out we had The Punisher himself, Thomas Jane, in the starring role, I was a goner, so to speak. After watching the pilot and the first official episode, I would most assuredly say to anyone who would listen: count me in for the duration of this bad boy.

Here we have a great premise - Divorced-with-kids basketball coach whose life is financially on the skids seeks a second income. In the brilliantly and meticulously detailed set-up (aka the pilot), it slowly dawns on our hero's consciousness that his tool is, in actuality, the tool he needs to hopefully drill him out of his financial problem.

With the help of a friend, Tanya (Jane Adams, also perfectly cast), Ray takes the baby steps required to bring his idea to fruition. (She has already sampled his wares and has been extreeeemely impressed.) In the first episode past the pilot, he enlists her help (as his pimp) in getting him some clientele. She comes up with a killer merchandising plan, very involved and thought out, and she has a friend who is a 'professional shopper' for older women, to boot. She suggests she enlist this friend, in the hopes that her shopping clients also need to get laid. There's a hilarious scene where Tanya coaches the coach in the finer points of female seduction, involving more attention to foreplay, compliments and yer basic overall studly conduct while in the field.

Although I loved this scene for the wit of it, I thought it was predictable in the way Tanya's character was saying all women needed tons of foreplay, compliments, blah blah blah, in order to get in the mood. In my experience, all women are hardly like that, and I was thinking the show was leaning toward a far more conventional turn than I wanted. This, however, was thrown out of the game in the next scene, where our SIT (Stud In Training) shows up at the client's door and she turns out to be anything but yer basic conventional female, commanding him from the get-go to do away with the tedious foreplay and compliments and get down to business, which she seemingly does, in every position known to man and the canine world as well.

Thomas Jane is more than up to his challenge here; he comes across as a 'normal guy' thrust into a situation he's not quite comfortable with, and that's the charm at the heart of this brilliantly conceived show. My only hope is that they can - pardon the pun, but it's almost obligatory - keep it up.

Funny, Smart, and Dark

Author: bondgirl6781 from Florida, USA
31 August 2009

HBO continues to air innovative shows reflecting aspects of life whether they be vampires living in the South, Hollywood hotshots trying to survive show business, a polygamous family, or it's latest concept about a man taking on the oldest profession in the world which is "Hung." Ray Drekker (Thomas Jayne) a Detroit high school teacher and basketball coach was once the school's most popular boy with an athlete's scholarship and married the most popular girl in school. All falls apart when he is injured and years later his dream girl wife, Jessica (Anne Heche), leaves him for a well-to-do dermatologist. Being a high school teacher and basketball coach does not pay very well. To make things even worse, his house catches on fire forcing him to live in a tent in his backyard and his twin teenage children move back with their overbearing mother. Ray goes to one of those scam "get rich quick" seminars and finds what he is also good at and the "tool" he has: sex and very...ahem..."hung." He meets failed poet and corporate temp, Tanya Skaggle (Jane Adams), and enlists her as his pimp. The two embark on a business they hope will be successful in "fulfilling" women with happiness...will they successful? The show reflects on the subject of the economy very heavily and it's about time a show finally did. "Hung" is set in the backdrop of the economically beaten down but not out Detroit amidst layoffs and the public school system being federally underfunded. Thomas Jayne is perfect as Ray. He is your typical everyday average Joe trying going through economic hardship and through the profession of male prostitution he begins to have an understanding of women and of the direction of his own life. He continues to go on despite the ex-wife, his uptight next-door neighbor, and the economic hardships. Jane Adams is also wonderful in the part of passive aggressive but insightful Tanya. She doesn't face the same hardships as Ray, but she is lonely and sympathetic. Anne Heche is hysterical at times as Ray's overbearing ex-wife who is also going through hard times when her husband's finances take a huge a hit in the stock market. "Hung" is a show that reflects on the current economy and talks about the subject matter of male prostitution without making it look glamorous or fake.

Hung is a show of realism without the bs

Author: reneweddan from United States
2 July 2011

Thomas Jane, Jane Adams, Anne Heche, Eddie Jemison, and Rebecca Creskoff all perform extremely well on screen. They portray their characters flawlessly and allow you to vicariously enjoy the show that is Hung.

This show is difficult to label, it's more of a raw show without any bs. Many of the events aren't as climatic as one would expect, especially the season finales, but this is what makes the show so beautiful. Hung doesn't rely on overly complex drama that makes absolutely no sense in the real world, it relies on real life complications in humorous, yet dramatic scenarios.

Hung is open to interpretation, at least most of it. If you have the patience for massive character development with a smooth plot and actors who portray their characters effortlessly, then this show is a must.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]