IMDb > "Gary Unmarried" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Gary Unmarried"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Gary Unmarried" More at IMDbPro »

One of the best new shows.

Author: jasonchristensen from United States
26 October 2008

One of the new shows that is worth seeing.

I have liked Jay Mohr in most of the things that I have seen him in.

There have been many posts that indicate how mad people are over the portrayal of the relationship between Gary and his ex-wife, Allison. I don't know what is wrong with people.

If I wanted reality television, I wouldn't tune in to a sitcom (which stands for situational comedy, for those idiots out there that don't think the show is true enough).

I want a show that I can tune into and it will make me laugh. This show does that.

I thoroughly enjoy "Gary's" son Tom. The actor who plays Tom, Ryan Magarini, does a great job.

I hate it when writers try too hard to make kids funny on television. This seems to be a right mix of smart comedy for a kid his age.

Paula Marshall is absolutely fantastic in this show. I hope this show will stick around for a while.

A really good show

Author: genko_one from Bulgaria, Sofia
24 October 2008

I will take this time to respond to some of the negative comments I've seen about this show.

First off, the acting is great, despite some opinions. And second, some people are forgetting what these shows are all about. To help you relax, make you laugh and put you in a good mood. The show DOES that. And yes, if you sit there and start searching for things wrong with it, you will find some but that is not the point of the program. It doesn't matter that there are "loose ends" with the script or that somebody found a joke stupid. The show has a lot of originality in terms of comedy. If you are picky enough you will find wrong things even with the king "Friends", but if you want to enjoy a funny show watch Garry Unmarried.

Hey it makes me Laugh!

Author: kreanqt from United States
25 October 2008

All, I have to say is this is the first sitcom show this fall that I have liked. There aren't many sitcoms these days like back in the 90's.....and I am getting sick of reality TV.

Perhaps Jay Mohr's character does go a little too far at times, but it gets me laughing. I don't want this getting canceled like last fall's show with John Lithgow and Judith Light.

I think there is a better title out there for Gary Unmarried. Although it was the title that caught my eye. I don't feel Gary Unmarried really goes with what the show is about. Two parents who are divorced and taking care of their kids.

With a little tweak this show will fly...

Author: foundsomefun from United States
22 October 2008

This show has great timing and it moves right along. You can't help but laugh. I love that there is finally a man on TV who doesn't whine and have his head handed to him each week. He comes off as genuine in trying to find his way through his new lifestyle and all of the speed bumps along the way. It doesn't hurt that he is adorable.

I will put it right along with "2 1/2 Men" because he struggles with things but isn't constantly apologizing for it. His character is in line with "Charlie Harper" in that respect.

The only thing I would change is to pull back on the attack of the ex-wife. That too is like "2 1/2 Men". Even though this ex-wife isn't as bad as that horrific one on the other show (she adds nothing to the show) it could go sour and she could become like her.

I wish the people on this show many happy and funny seasons to come.

Great new show - love the cast!

Author: bfm_1017 from East Coast, USA
24 December 2008

With so much junk on TV these days, and so much serious drama, it is refreshing to see good old comedy again. I loved Seinfeld, Cheers, Curb, Frasier - but this show is none of these. I watch The Office, and this is not The Office. It's a straight rapid fire comedy, no brains required, just sit back and enjoy. Gorgeous Paula Marshall has maybe found a show that will stick, and Jay Mohr is excellent as the struggling Dad, but Max Gail is the highlight for me and provides the crossover character I need. Unlike some of the other comedies on TV, the language is mainstream and not offensive. Even of we are not divorced, we can enjoy the banter between Paula Marshall and Jay Mohr, the same banter many happily married couples have. Ed Begley, Jr. adds a great foil for Mohr, and Jaime King is great to look at. Al Madrigal has a bit part, and I would love to see his character develop more. Finally the son, Ryan Malgarini has great comic timing, something many adults in comedies have trouble with. You can almost hear him thinking "Wait for it....", then deliver his line. I hope the show is renewed and catches on. Not in the same league as The Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm, but much better than How I Married... or Two and a Half... IMO

Garry Unmarried - CBS must be diminished

Author: Daniel from Bulgaria
2 February 2012

CBS has done a big mistake, canceling this show because it is very good and close to the perfection. It's funny, full with ironic jokes and has almost everything a comedy should have. I even think it would be in my top 15 if it had more seasons. It is about a divorced man having awkward and funny situations and disputes with her ex-wife and all the things are very well done. The acting is great - Jay Mohr and Paula Marshall are the main actors who do a great job, the jokes are decent and the performance is good - they're all just imperfect though it is one of my near-favorite comedies. I recommend it to everybody and I'm disgusted оf CBS about canceling the show.

Can't believe this show was canceled

Author: imhy from Australia
20 March 2012

This show is really well written and has an excellent witty humour that is so hard to find.

The relationships between Gary and Allison works so well. Gary plays this simple man's man that works as a tradie, loves his beer and sports. Allison plays an uptight ex-wife that was in charge of everything and continues to nag at Gary. The sub-relationships with the kids and other characters compliment it perfectly meaning a great overall comedy.

There's a few surprising reviews I've read complaining about the fact the acting isn't perfectly Oscar worthy brilliance. I mean seriously, this is a sitcom that's suppose to be light hearted. It's not The Hurt Locker. Some people have these preconceived opinions of particular actors and won't like them regardless of what they're in.

Personally I find the humour in this very smart and funny. I'm really disappointed that this show was canceled as after only 2 seasons you're left a bit high and dry.

Hilarious!

Author: geamorock123-1 from India
16 October 2008

I think this is one of the funniest sitcoms ever made. Friends,Two and a half men, How i met you mother and Gary Unmarried can just change your mood so easily.Gary personally is hilarious and his arguments with Allison make the show real addictive.Ha ha and his kid is a champ man!Gary however is my personal favorite and reminds me of Barney Stinson from how i met your mother. Each week I'm awaiting the new episode, but its upsetting once the 20 minutes are up.I hope the series goes a long way.This is probably one of the few series in which the husband and wife share such a cute love /hate relationship.In fact if it weren't for jake harper, i would rate this show higher than Two and a half men.

Gary Unmarried undoubtedly deserves a 9/10.

I Like This Show. It Is Fun.

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
2 May 2010

I have watched only 4 sitcoms (Friends, HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, Two & A Half Men - the first three are my favourites and the last one, I really hate) and this is my fifth. So, all of the clichés or stereotypes are not ALL clichés for me. This is a very funny show in my opinion. I watched this after watching the preview scenes on TV which seemed very fun. I have to say, its not bad and it is worth the time to check it out.

Gary divorced his wife of 15 years, Allison after built up tensions and hatred from the last few years. They have two children - a girl and a boy. I loved the girl as she's so compassionate towards environment, people and life in general. The boy is hilarious whenever he comes on screen (wat will I do when she expects me to tap it?!!). Gary is a type of jock and we all know that he is not cut out for the mature acting part, and I really liked him. His 40 year old wife, Allison is hot and she is also a really likable character. Gary is playing the field for now as he is a free man and just one month after the divorce, he is already in a relationship with another single mom.

Even though the show is about middle aged parents problems with their life, the writers have wonderfully concocted a very lovable family with some good writing. We don't have dumb beautiful girls every episode like in Two & A Half Men and the characters are fleshed out as well as you can expect out of a comedy sitcom. Nobody in this show is someone who you would love to hate, maybe Allison, but she's also pretty likable for me. The acting is OK for the most part, but sometimes Gary comes across as just delivering his lines, but it can be overcome because the screenplay is so much fun. The daughter's character is my favourite because she's so cute, loyal to her cause, and very positive towards life and the one scene I really like is when Gary tells her that she is beautiful and she blushes and tells him 'I knooooow. My friend's lazy eye totally corrected itself when he saw me.' That was actually really cute. I have seen 14 episodes of 'Gary Unmarried' and I am looking forward for the rest of the season. Though not a great sitcom like my favourites, this is a perfectly fine entertaining show for me to pass time in the evenings when I come back from college.

Pleasantly Surprising

Author: Feeny0902 from United States
10 February 2009

I was very skeptical that this show would be anything less that a jumbled mess with crass humor thrown in every now and then by Jay Mohr. Don't get me wrong, I love Jay Mohr, he has his moments, but I wasn't sure a sitcom was going to be a good moment.

But it's funny! It's really, truly funny! It's interesting family dynamics, with a flare of those good ol' sitcom family antics. Ryan Malgarini is hysterical, a young talent with great comedic timing. The writers put a lot of sass in it, and it's the kind of comedy that makes you laugh big.

It's a good laugh; you're going to smile all the way through the whole show. It doesn't take itself seriously, and it's funnier for it.