IMDb > Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
Page 1 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Feel like I have just received a massive kick to the genitals.

Author: ArT_of_InSaNiTy from United Kingdom
22 December 2013

I still remember the feeling; that aura of anticipation that i felt when the announcement was made. Anchorman 2 was in production. Finally, big Ron was on his way back!!! The magical news team where going to be gracing the big screen and i couldn't have been any more excited.

The first film was very close to comedic perfection; it had everything that was needed and much like any film that you thoroughly enjoy you want to see more, but in the back of your mind you don't want the film to become tainted.

And although this film has its droves of fans, for me it was incredibly disappointing. They took it too far. The stupidity in the first film was perfectly balanced. It was funny. This however was over the top. There are certain scenes that are very uncomfortable to watch as they try so hard to make you laugh. And as the ridiculousness accelerated, my gut began to churn and any smile that wanted to force it's way out to stay loyal to the first film was obliterated and all that was left was me,- insert summary here -.

Disappointment is too feeble of an explanation to how gutted i was at the way this film played out. So much of the first film was regurgitated. First couple of carbon copy moments i tried to ignore and enjoy but it eventually became so obvious and so desperate. The continual "by the beard of...", like quotations from Ron was tedious. And the shark....well i'll let you see that farcical moment for yourselves.

I tried, i really tried to enjoy this film, and yes, it had it's fair share of moments that made me laugh, but it is nothing more than a moneymaker. And it will do its job. But that doesn't stop it from being a massive let down. Sequels tend to work when they are planned, not when they are demanded.

An abomination

Author: Ammad-Farooqui from Canada
23 December 2013

I am extremely disappointed with this movie. I was a huge fan of the original and can quote you every single line from that movie however, my expectations weren't too high for this movie because I knew it couldn't be as good as the original. But I was not expecting this movie to be this bad

The story line was awful. The parts of it didn't fit and it kept jumping from scene to scene. They tried to use Brick a little more which in my opinion failed miserably. There were many lulls within the movie. At one point, I actually thought about walking out.

I can't believe they actually released this movie. Did they not watch it again themselves?

Will Ferrell, you have destroyed your magnum opus.

Just awful...

Author: leonhart35 from United Kingdom
8 January 2014

Of all the things I expected to feel when I walked out of the cinema after seeing this film, disgusted that I paid money to watch it was not one of them.

No effort has been made to actually make this film any good, or any actual sequel to the first. The writers have just crammed it with as much stuff as they could that made the first film so brilliant, and all they succeeded in doing was making it an overblown, awkward film that leaves you knowing that during every seen they're just trying to force a laugh out of you. Its also been a long time that I was so consciously aware that the actors are just performing lines for a camera, there's nothing natural about any of them. It all feels painfully scripted, all the one liners blatantly placed just to drag a laugh kicking and screaming from your lips.

The last 45 minutes goes off on such a bizarre tangent I honestly had no idea what the hell was going on or what the purpose of any of it was.

Truly disappointed with this film, and incredibly annoyed by the knowledge that it'll be a box office smash purely because the first one is such a legendary film.

Bottle feeding the shark?

Author: Jack Banister from United States
28 December 2013

**Before I write my review, I want to make it known that I went into Anchorman 2 expecting over the topness, funny one liners, plenty of gags, and generally having low expectations given the trailers and over advertisement.**

Despite having already low expectations, I was STILL disappointed.

Happy Days coined the term "jumping the shark," generally used for a television show that is declining in quality and attempts to use an outrageous plot device to keep viewer's interest. Anchorman 2 has not only jumped the shark, but it has given us a modern update to that term, "Bottle Feeding the shark." Not wanting to believe the movie could be so atrocious, I am actually trying to convince myself the shark feeding sequence was the film poking fun at itself and realizing it was terrible. If that was the case, it's a hilarious satirical movie. If not, it's a steaming pile of dung, which I suspect is the case.

THE GOOD:

- The celebrity cameos were mildly, and I mean very mildly entertaining but they came far too late to save the movie.

- A few laugh out loud sequences (the first 30 minutes).

- Ummmmm....Nothing else really. :/

THE BAD:

- Just not a funny movie despite trying so hard. Forced humor and a truly awful script written by Will Ferrell. It seems like Will Ferrell sat in a focus group of adolescent males aged 12-17 and put whatever they deemed "funny" into his script. Plenty of penis and vagina jokes for you potty humor enthusiasts out there!

- The black jokes and black dinner sequence were clichéd and boring. Everyone has heard a white person or comedian imitate a black person thousands of times and seeing Will Ferrell do it is not much funnier. I'm not easily offended, but more easily offended people would feel uncomfortable with these scenes in the movie.

- No quotable quotes. Anyone who saw Anchorman #1 can at LEAST rattle off a, "Stay Classy San Diego," or a "60% of the time it works every time." quote. No such luck here; there are no memorable quotes or sayings in this one. There was also a feeble attempt to recreate the "sex panther" scene with Brian's secret drawer, but it was forced and stupid. You can bet that there will be a product line of Anchorman condoms coming out though as a result...

- The film randomly tried to get serious with its whole, "The American people deserve the truth, etc." line at the end. I agree with the sentiment, but it was poorly placed in the movie and came off as a forced message.

- Bad script, unfunny characters, and the same tired situations are basically what sunk this film. Nothing good about it in all honesty.

THE UGLY:

- Brick aka Steve Carell. Straight up. He was tolerable in the first film because his randomness was well timed and just so out of the blue that all you could do was laugh. In the sequel it is flat out annoying. I have never felt so much disdain for a fictional character in my life. From the first "death" scene to the last "marriage" scene I despised every second of Steve Carell's screen time. Whoever thought to give Brick a love interest should be exiled from film making and possibly planet earth for all of eternity. I guess it was their poor attempt to give Brick's character another dimension other than just seeming like a retard the whole time. Ugh, his love interest was a mix of Brick and Kristen Wiig's character from Bridesmaids. To sum it up a combo of awkward and ANNOYING.

If it weren't for Brick being reintroduced in this film, I'd probably give it 4 MAYBE even 5 stars, but I actually felt mentally abused by how annoying his character was. Long story short, I could probably write a novel on how awful this film was, but this review satisfies my need to vent. If you value your time and don't want to waste it, do NOT see this film. If you must see it; Don't waste $10 or even a matinée admission price on this garbage, just red box it.

7.2...are you crazy?!

Author: Nicholas Christou from United Kingdom
31 December 2013

The words escape me when it comes to reviewing this movie...before I start, you should know, i'm a massive comedy fan, and enjoyed the first anchorman quite a lot, and also that this is my first review because the disappointment and anger this movie caused made me have to write a review...this movie was the biggest waste of my time and money, and had I not been with company,I would've left half way through.

To be fair to the movie, the first 1 hour was okay, promising, and had a few laughs, but as the movie went on it descended into utter garbage, cheap humour and extremely drawn out scenes. The 'plot' was just...insane, I literally couldn't believe what I was watching, the movie was mainly just shouting and stupid noises, the same joke drawn out 100 times, no plot, no substance, no nothing. When I checked IMDb, I was honestly expecting to see somewhere between 3-4, I nearly fell out my seat when I saw 7.2, this movie probably would've made more sense if you cut up the scenes into a complete random order. Truly a 1/10 movie.

awful

Author: cookyman11 from United States
20 December 2013

The best part of this movie was Kanye Wests cameo. And I don't even like Kanye. I know this movie is supposed to be over the top. I was a big fan of the first anchorman. But this was awful. I would've walked out 30 minutes in if I was not with a group of people. Turns out we were all thinking the same thing when we talked afterward. The jokes are horrible. About 10 minutes in enough jokes missed that I knew this movie was off. There were very few likable characters. Brick was repulsive this time around. His scenes were painful to watch. The final scene with the battle royal was horrible. It wasn't funny and was drawn out too long. There was about 10 different news crews each with celebrity cameos that all missed. Oh, and Harrison Ford turned into a werewolf. I'm not kidding. I can take a joke, and love the humor of the likes of this comedy crew in general but there really is no reason to watch this movie. The first one had tons of quotable lines. This one, nothing. And it was about 45 minutes too long. A punishing movie to watch.

Worst sequel in the history of sequels.

Author: Travis Weed from California
2 January 2014

I am so glad I didn't have to pay to see this movie and I had a gift card instead. This movie was terrible to say the least. I had very high expectations for this movie because I was such a huge fan of the first Anchorman. It seemed like the entire movie was just made up on the spot and filmed and there was no rehearsing at all. I'm sure for a lot of people this was a highly anticipated movie and instead it was absolute crap. I have advised all of my friends to save their money for a better movie and rent it when it comes out if you must watch it. I definitely will not be buying this movie when it comes out. Very disappointed. Just do yourself a favor and go see Wolf of Wallstreet or something else. Worst Will Ferrell movie in a LONG time.

Old ... and painful

Author: jij98111 from United States
14 March 2014

The jokes are not funny. Will Ferrell is stale. A waste of time. Unfortunately, it looks as though this script was written while smoking newly legalized weed and a parody of a parody is what this turned out to be.

I find it very hard to believe the ratings on this movie and I am convinced, more than I have ever been before, that many ratings are simply a figment of marketing and that many movie viewers knee-jerk react to 'names' and slick advertising to approve of junk that under ordinary circumstances they would reject immediately. The Hollywood marketing machine has created a dud.

Complete and total fail

Author: cwcoke from United States
30 December 2013

AM2 is one of the biggest disappointments for a sequel I can ever recall seeing on the big screen. AM1 was silly, and sophomoric but it held together based on a cohesive, simple story line that was made funny by the characters. AM2 is a complete cash grab and I hope that anyone associated with this film is ashamed for what they helped produce. This movie is not funny, it is not well made, it is not well written. It has some of the worst acting, forced acting, and under utilized acting you will ever see in a film. The cameos were too little too late, the racial jokes were distasteful and old. Farrell blew up everything he could from AM1 to fill time.. Sex panther, News Anchor Fight, etc. etc. Please tell anyone you know that hasn't seen this, not to. It shouldn't make another dollar, its that bad.

overzealous and underachieving

Author: heykyleinsf from United States
27 December 2013

I first want to say, the original was a classic comedy to me, I was excited for this since becoming aware of a sequel last summer. An hour in to the movie, I realized the plot (which really wasn't all that necessary) wasn't going to save the movie from a lack of originality. The characters are the same only more caricatures of themselves (especially Steve Carrell's part). At the end of it, it felt like a high school reunion with people you realize were more sad than endearingly dorky. Will Farrell over acted. The Sea World bit was especially difficult, I guess it was supposed to be funny about a guy that never really had anything losing everything, I just didn't find it anything but lost. It totally magnified the movie for what it was.. a re-run of a cheap and overblown sitcom movie.

It should have been left well alone while it was nostalgic in the first movie.. the sequel more than outlived it's welcome.

Page 1 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]