IMDb > World's End (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Downstream

World's End More at IMDbPro »Downstream (original title)

An overlong B movie

Author: Lasse Kärkkäinen from Espoo, Finland
28 August 2010

The movie takes place roughly ten years in the future, after the world has collapsed due to suddenly running out of oil. The premise is interesting and the story kinda hooks you up in the beginning, making you want to see where it goes.

Unfortunately, the production quality as well as the story declines quickly and by the ending credits you will only be disappointed. I made the mistake of watching the movie all the way, all the time waiting for that big twist to make it worth watching. Also, do not expect to see any cool sci-fi tech or you'll be disappointed even more.

The movie is rather brutal and this certainly will upset some viewers, even though I found myself wondering why they didn't do it all the way instead of making it dull like they did. This could have saved it in the lack of an actual story.

Why?

Author: lurpak from United Kingdom
1 September 2010

I have to agree with everything that previous reviews say when they point out the negatives of this film. For the first 20 minutes I had convinced myself that I had already seen it then I realised I was thinking of 'Book Of Eli'. Saying that the first 20 minutes you do feel like something of a plot is developing but at this point you can switch off as nothing worth watching happens from that point onward.The last 20 minutes of the film then go from bad to worse. I think whatever good this film had must have been lost in post-production as whomever was responsible for the final cut seems to have a bad idea of good film, which this clearly had the potential to become. Such a shame and I believe a career ender for many involved.

Back to Italin post-nuke!

Author: Pingo-2 from Sweden
15 January 2011

Since I've made low-budget films myself, I first must say that I am impressed by what Simone put together with Philip Kim's script.

It's a professional product and very nice production value throughout. Especially some of the car-scenes had some complicated and really nice filming. I enjoyed the editing with the German-like experimental split-screen - especially since it was mostly used to tell two sides of the same scene.

Of course, we have seen most of this before. Especially in the MAD MAX-films, of course, but mostly, this film resembles A BOY AND HIS DOG (1975) and there's also a lot of nods to Enzo Castellari's incredible Italian Mad Max-rip off I NUOVI BARBARI (1982).

Downstream IS very Italian. If you haven't seen any of the Italian post-nuke films, then you're missing out on a lot of the films inspiration.

Mostly, I thought this was well-made and for the low budget these people worked with, they created a nice film that works. Sadly, the ending is a bit slow.

Otherwise, the fights and car-action was very good. It reminds me a lot of Marshall's DOOMSDAY (2008), of course - but do remember that that film had a $30M budget and this only a $1M! So if you like the casual Italian post-apocalypse thing, then this is for you.

Absolute dreck.

Author: zazenjazz
1 September 2010

Absolute dreck. One of the worst movies I've seen this year. Wretched acting, annoying soundtrack, overused end-of-times storyline, and ridiculously jagged editing. I wish I had back the 90 minutes that I wasted watching this crapola. If I ever see the names of directors Simone Bartesaghi & Philip Kim, I'll run in the opposite direction. If you enjoy the after-the-holocaust/bleak-future kind of thing (like I certainly do!), then catch 'Book of Eli' with Denzel Washington & Gary Oldman or 'The Road' with Viggo Mortenson, or for God's sake even the old 'Mad Max' trilogy. 'Downstream' has absolutely nothing going for it in an artistic or entertainment sense. Please don't waste your time on this piece of irritating nonsense.

A flip of an older movie

Author: mikefrei from United States, S.W. Ohio
9 September 2010

I seem to be drawn to the post civilization, end of days genre. I think in an intentional way, this movie pays homage to almost every one I can recall. Eli, 28 Days and 28 Weeks Later, Mad Max, I am Legend, etc.

The most significant though is the twist on 'A Boy and His Dog' where a very young Don Johnson (Vic) and his dog roam the nuclear wastelands of the mid US. He communicates telepathically with the dog, giving him an edge in finding food and naturally sex since women are scarce. Someone asked, "why kill the dog?" Well in 'A Boy and His Dog" Vic kills the girl so he and the dog can eat. Downstream flips all this giving a nod to the earlier version.

6.5 stars out of 10

Author: davenumber7 from california
25 September 2010

this was a low budget movie. you have to keep that in mind.i think there are too many negative reviews for this one. it held my interest from start to finish.i have also noticed negative descriptions of scenes where the reviewer didn't see what was actually happening.

no its not high tech special effects but it is definitely worth watching especially if you're not paying theater prices. i did notice a few goofs but i can forgive that if the movie is interesting. i liked this one slightly better than book of eli which is a similar plot lined movie. give credit where credit is due,i see a lot of big budget movies that satisfy me less than this . its a low budget winner.

Epic-Est Post-Apocalyptic Movie Ever

Author: toxicholocaust from United States
13 August 2011

This movie is a must see. Out of any other Post Apocalyptic movies that I had ever seen this one delivers that sweet Benny Benassi "Satisfaction" of a aftermath catastrophe in a barbaric environment that pleases your human eye balls. I admit this movie is at times boring (but don't be bothered by those few times) the fantastic storyline of finding a City powered by Nuclear Cold Fusion means in a world set in a near future devastating chaotic aftermath of oil shortage is quite slim, and yet this is what makes this movie quite interesting and entertaining to the Apocalyptic Movie Styled fans. You will keep your eyes glued to this movie even if you don't like where the movie is going and that is what makes this movie as Epic as the story of Gilgamesh! But nevertheless this is a film with high hopes for the many Post-Apocalyptic movies to come. I had never seen Mad Max or The Road, but this movie surely puts those 2 movies to shame... Period! Despite the fact that at times what makes this movie a little disappointing is a few bad actors, yet mostly believable. This movie has a few mind boggling "whoa that's one gruesome crazy awesome scene!" moments... But unlike the bad reviews for this movie, In my eyes that have seen a lot of movies either bad or good, this movie is worth seeing either you like it or not it is a Must See.

The lengths you would go to survive

Author: hellokenney from United States
11 September 2010

I am surprised at the low ratings for this movie, I thought it was pretty awesome. The story hooked me from the start and the directing was cool with lots of experimental, comic-booky, split screen stuff.

Acting wise, I was slightly disappointed by the over the top villain but the charismatic lead, Wes, more than made up for it. You could really feel child-like Wes' uncertainty in the morality of his actions. Billy Drago also has a creepy, small role.

I am apparently in the minority here, but I'll go ahead and say it: I thought Downstream was a lot better than The Road (the book or the movie.) Check it out if you like post-apocalyptic stuff with a healthy dose of action and gore (and a dash of cute doggy co-star.)

a good low budget film

Author: from United States
1 September 2010

I am assuming this is a low budget film, and it is pretty good compare to other low budget film. Good acting from all of the actors. Especially the end really surprise me, and I never expect that, and I really appreciate the guy who wrote it, at least it is real.

I used to watch a lot of TV from sci-fi TV channel while working, and most of them are crap amount other crap even with much higher budget. Most of the plots in this film make sense and doesn't seem to be stupid compare to other low budget film. I can even compare its storyline with resident evil film series and Fallout video game. Of course, just my opinion. I give this 9 out of 10. It doesn't have big action, but the atmosphere and the story really worth to watch if you like after end of world scene. And it is 10 times better than those "sex-and-the-city" and other crap.

Hope they make more of this kind of film, with small budget. The other with lots of explosion and gun fights with very boring and predictable films are just boring.

More than meets the Eye.!

Author: jadfox from United States
14 October 2011

Many reviews stated to have been 'disappointed' by this film.I wonder what they expected, another nonsense-story of 'big' motives like 'Book of Eli'? This film is realistic to an almost unbearable degree, none of that 'superhero' crap ppl are used to see, none of that 'bible' crap either. What has been falsely called 'civilisation' isn't as solid as it seems, that's where the realism begins, people are NOT 'civilized' most of them act on animal desires, the 'system' manipulates them into a semblance of being civilized..What if all that 'manipulation' collapses due to lack of energy (oil..lol) , is there an alternative energy source? (yes) And will those who use it be of any help to the abandoned masses? The only answer that makes sense is a big NO and they will protect their 'privileged' city like those 'gods' of old protected theirs! Remember Gilgamesh? He had to fight against a 'mechanical-metallic monster' (as he neared the city of gods) that had a 'death ray-sword' attached & revolving, cutting everything down that moved. (thats no sci-fi script but exactly what the Gilgamesh epic tells us) Gilgamesh survived with the help of some gods (his relatives) but the poor Wes didn't, he was shot down by a 'mechanical monster' that patrolled the area around the city. All That makes it apparent that those who wrote the script were more than just realistic; if such a breakdown of everything occurs, those who'd run a 'Cold Fusion-city' would have all that planned for long, & they would keep the outsiders out..& just wait for the masses to exterminate each other or die of diseases.A cancer virus that affects women more is a sure way to keep the population down, by the way thats what the film is hinting at..Population reduction by removing resources and energy & by killing women..The ending was unexpected but adds value to the film, those who expected a 'happy ending' or even a 'helping hand' are..well..unrealistic :) In my opinion one of the best films made in the genre, many don't seem to understand its value because they are used to Hollywood-crap.