IMDb > Laid to Rest (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Laid to Rest

Laid to Rest More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Mind numbingly bad plot, with gore to spare.

Author: CDiablo from United States
23 August 2009

Let me get this out of the way. If you like gore please see (possibly buy) this movie. This movie has some of the best (practical?, if it was all CGI I couldn't tell except for a few scenes) gore effects in recent years. A kill in this movie is easily a front runner for kill of the year. The acting was okay, and fans of people under the stairs will be happy to see Roach getting some work in a horror flick. I think its pretty well shot. This leads me to the plot............oh the horror.

The writing in this movie is possibly the dumbest I have ever seen in my 15+ years of watching horror movies. The characters do so many stupid things that it actually hurts the movie...........I can't believe I am saying this. I can usually appreciate horror movies just for the gore but this plot was just too much. Stupid decisions topped by even more stupid decisions. There is a plot twist in the movie that is less of a twist than it is a fun fact. This was just awful, it was like one of those internet stories where dozens of users write it one individual page/paragraph at a time.

So in short, great gore, worst story ever. Myself and my buddies have watched the gore parts on this movie several times, but none of us can stomach the real horror, the plot.

Laid to Rest... The best laid plans of serial killers and men.

Author: julian kennedy from Clearwater Fl
24 May 2009

Laid to Rest: 7 out of 10: Laid to Rest is a real slasher film. A movie truly for hardcore horror and gore fans only and will make viewers, such as myself, who often enjoy a less serious outing really wonder if I want to see a true horror film. (Turns out I do) This film scared me in places and made me look away in joyful disgust in others. It is a film that raises the bar for horror.

On a lighter note let’s pretend you are married to a B movie actress whose claim to fame is a brief appearance as an Orion Slave Woman on an episode of The Star Trek spin off series Enterprise (Season 4 Episode 4 Borderland to be exact). She has large breasts but refuses to do a topless scene and she is seemingly challenged in the acting ability department. Oh and if she doesn’t star in your next project the audience will not be the only people to be denied a nude scene.

Solution? One brain damaged protagonist coming up.... Some people have trouble getting past the um acting of our star (and directors wife) Bobbi Sue Luther but I think poor acting is as much a part of the slasher genre as the false scare or lame back-story reveal and it good to see it represented here. (Strangely I don’t recall a false scare in Laid to Rest and what back-story reveal there actually is turns out to be fairly well done.) As if to make up for the main lead, the rest of the cast is much better than any slasher film deserves. For one thing they act like a real people would if confronted with such horror. (This is a credit to the script as well; but the cast really does sell this.) Kevin Gage in particular gives a performance that carries the film and what Lena Headey (The queen in 300 and Sarah Conner in the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ) is doing in a slasher film like this is a true mystery.

The direction by Robert Hall is also top notch with the ability to create tension and true scares. The real star of this show however is the make-up effects that are simply out of this world and make this worth a look just for that reason. (No cheesy digital blood here) The only real negatives to the film, outside of Bobbi Sue Luther performance (which isn’t really that bad and fits a brain damaged character), is the opening credits and the ending. If you hate quick cuts, shaky cam and techno music all combined together the opening credits will put the fear of God into you. Don’t worry it stops as soon as the film proper starts. The ending is simply disappointing on a few levels. Characters act... well out of character, and the whole thing is anti-climatic and gimmicky.

Overall Laid to Rest is an excellent slasher film for those people who like that sort of thing. But be forewarned this is for fans only; if you don’t like real horror stay far away.

Good Kills + Bad Suspense = Mixed Bag

Author: Bill357 from United States
4 May 2009

A good horror film is a bit like obscenity in that it is impossible to describe what makes the horror picture good but you know it when you see it.

Laid To Rest looks and acts extremely well with lots of amusing moments. It has great FX and really nasty kills. It has competent acting, photography, and direction but something doesn't quite work. I think the fault probably lies in the script.

The main things I didn't understand were that the characters always seemed to want to backtrack to places where the killer already terrorized them. The girl wants to go back to the mortuary and the bearded guy wants to go back home to cover a previous victims body! Another is the fact that they have constant access to vehicles (including at one point the killer's!) but nobody suggests they pick a direction and drive!

These things would be of little concern if there was better suspense generated by their encounters with the killer.

I chalk this up as an okay near miss.

Top notch gore but a not a bore..

Author: guitargurunmu from United States
27 April 2009

What can I say? This movie delivered everything I wanted it to. Strong brutal killings/unique killings, cheesy acting, not half bad music, and decent atmosphere. I love watching horror movies that don't require any thinking, its as if you can almost take a nap through it and still know what happened. I feel that some of these movies that are released right to DVD actually deliver more than the ones that make it to the theatre. A lot of the time those movies are really watered down and get the pg-13, but with a straight to DVD you know they are not gong to cut back AT ALL. So all in all the movie was a fun watch and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes to have a really bloody fun watch on a Friday night.

New slasher icon tries to remain a cut above the rest.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
2 October 2011

Written and directed by Robert Hall, Laid To Rest is a reasonably enjoyable slasher movie that benefits from some great gore FX and an iconic villain (Chromeskull, played by Nick Principe) but suffers from mounting implausibility and characters who never seem to do anything that makes sense.

Things don't take long to start at all as a girl (the very attractive Bobbi Sue Luther) wakes up in a coffin and then frees herself. She doesn't know where she is or why she is in such a state, she just knows that someone wants her dead. A vicious killer who wears a chrome skull mask. Seeking help, the girl encounters the kindly Tucker (Kevin Gage) and brings a whole heap of trouble down upon their heads.

Dispensing with such trivialities as logic, believability and motivation, Robert Hall presents Laid To Rest as a kind of mixtape of the best bits of slasher movies, the stylised moments of insanely violent death. Unfortunately, the filler material around these moments is a bit dull and repetitive.

The cast all do relatively well with what they're given but suffer from the poor writing and character development. Bobbi Sue Luther may be a lovely woman but her character starts to become very annoying as she makes one bad decision after another. The same goes for Kevin Gage's character. And Sean Whalen (playing Steven, another character dragged into the madness). In fact, the only two on screen who don't become irritating aren't on screen for all that long (which is, perhaps, the secret) - the lovely Lena Headey and the talented young Thomas Dekker.

The fact that we also have a killer who is supernaturally in the right place at the right time but can never seem to make the killing blow when it comes to "the girl" he has in his sights and you have a slasher movie that represents both the best and the worst of the subgenre.

pretty in gore, lacks in story

Author: trashgang from Midian
22 October 2009

It's a shame that a gory movie like this surely delivers in gore but fails to deliver me the creeps. You aren't even into the characters, and that's a shame. First of all, it's a bloody flick and the killings are gory and explicit but gore alone doesn't make a movie. The story line is easy to follow but I was never into the characters. When a guy picks up a girl and his wife got killed he never weeps and goes with the unknown girl into a wicked story. But somehow things doesn't fit to me, the first 20 minutes are okay but then it's just the slasher after the unknown girl. Oh yeah, you gore geeks will love some scene's but as said, somehow it fails to attract you whole the time. The last 20 minutes are good to make it a bit easier to watch but still...if you are looking for a gory flick then this is for you, if you want the creeps lay it to rest...

Indulgent nonsense

Author: nicodefretin from Spain
22 April 2009

This movie is awful from the beginning to the end. It has no plot whatsoever: the writer and "director" (a make-up artist who'd apparently like to become the new Wes Craven) does a terrible job with this movie. It just looks like an excuse to a succession of deaths. I like slashers but this is more like a poor try to join the clan. Honey, you're not gonna go anywhere by creating such pathetic characters ("I'm so dumb I didn't realize the phone cable was cut", "We are all badly injured but still walk faster than the evil killer... Why would the killer want to run? He's better off following you...) Cut the crap, go back to make up. Bottom line, a total waste of time

Maybe worth a look for hardcore slasher fans

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
14 February 2010

This is a okay slasher with a few gruesome deaths that are actually sort of creative. The movie doesn't even really have a plot, just tries to make a excuse for some blood and gore. I am usually forgiving when it comes to movies like this but the plot holes were just way too noticeable. And it never tells or shows why the killer does what he does, he just goes around filming everyone of his kills while wearing a chrome skull mask. It had a strong start though, it was actually pretty creepy but after the first scene it quickly ran out of it's flair. A young woman waking up inside of locked casket with no memory of who she is or how she got there is a unoriginal but cool concept, but after that first scene the suspense dies. I thought it would have a cool build up and a decent twist, but the twist was actually pretty stupid as well. You just end up wanting the chrome skull killer to kill everyone, cause like I said I am forgiving but the characters or victims are just too damn stupid. I guess it's worth a look though for major slasher fans or if your in a appetite for slaughter.

4.2/10

Excellent Slasher, deserves a wide release

Author: Viva_Chiba from Land of the dead
12 September 2010

While the main audience was busy for get their pants wet for another "Saw" sequel or another Platinum Dunes remake, Robert Hall gave us a original and gory Slasher movie called Laid To Rest.

Laid to Rest is not another slasher about a bunch of teens getting slaughtered while having sex or smoking a joint, it's about a woman who lost her memory and she wakes in a coffin, after she goes out of the coffin she discovers that a serial (masked) killer wants to kill her.....

When i watch a slasher movie, i mostly care about the gore and nudity, but in Laid To Rest the story was thrilling and i was interested in the story also. A good amount of (well done) gore is present, making it enjoyable for my taste. I don't have nothing to complain about this slasher, see it for yourself.

WOW this was bad

Author: todd-740 from United States
15 May 2009

I would give this a "0" or a "1", but I give minimal props to the visceral killings and the overall concept of the antagonist. The acting is horrible (what in the world is Lena Headey doing in this thing). The writing is pathetic. There is no continuity to any of the conversations, and trying to just follow what they say to each other from one sentence to the next is completely impossible. Even the setup from scene to scene is bad. None of it makes any sense. She's outside hobbling down the road at about half-mile per hour and your telling me the guy doesn't know where she came from? And the killer couldn't catch up to her? And don't even start worrying about Computer Boy and his idea to "email" the authorities then looking up the serial killer.

That being said, Chrome Skull was pretty cool. He was intimidating, unemotional, quiet, and vicious: everything you need in a mass murderer

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]