IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 75: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Super Action-Comedy from Robert Downey Jr.

Author: Brett Chatz from United States
7 May 2010

The inimitable Iron Man returns in an exciting sequel and fans are going to roar with excitement There's a whole lot more to Iron Man 2 than meets the eye. Purists of the Iron Man Marvel Comics genre will no doubt find many elements of the film to their liking. Such was the mastery of combining humour, action and digital effects that the film was an unqualified success.

Tony Stark returns to the fold in his typical narcissistic style. In fact if egos the size of his were commonplace, the world would need several iron men. Robert Downey Jr reprises the role that he so perfectly portrayed since the first installment of the multimillion dollar series. He's witty, intelligent and noticeably a few years older! But weapons expert Tony Stark is also Iron Man and this alter-ego has a life-force all his own.The presence of Iron Man in the early parts of the stellar film is rather limited, but he soon rocks back into action and brings a roar of approval from the audience. There are scenes where the anticipation of Iron Man's arrival are like literal live-wires and it's great to see him restoring order.

Mickey Rourke expertly portrays Ivan - a physicist with a bent for Stark's destruction. He's heavily muscled, wicked beyond compare and his plan to destroy Iron Man is not without its merits. But can he team up with Hammer Industries to create an army of cyborgs to destroy the Iron Man? The film has many side plots such as the budding romance between Stark and his beautiful CEO - Pepper (Paltrow). Moviegoers will love Don Cheadle's side-kick role as an apt Iron Man tag-team star. And a cameo by several heavyweight Hollywood A-listers will do more than tickle a few taste buds.

The film has been accused of being unoriginal and while there are obvious overlaps with the first installment, the action is all-new and the humour is incisive. It's witty from beginning to end and it gives new meaning to the words 'tin grin.' The verdict: Do not miss the awesome action-packed superhero flick - Iron Man 2.

all noise and no substance

Author: mik-trotman from United Kingdom
29 October 2010

This movie is nothing but drivel and loud bangs.

No plot, no characters, no development, no story. Nothing that makes a movie.

This is just embarrassing to watch for the sheer lack of any sign of imagination or story-telling.

A three year old kid playing with his transformer toys would provide more entertainment that this insult to the intelligence of any anthropomorphic animal.

Suitable only for imaginatively deceased.

An IMDb review has to contain more than 10 lines of comment. It has hard to find more than 10 words that is worth wasting on this total waste of time , energy and human effort.

Dimension

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
18 May 2010

Common sense hits the front office at Marvel's adventure in movie-making. Until now, they've just made bad films. Bad.

The basic problem, I believe, is that the rest of the world is out exploiting the third dimension and Marvel insists on making flat movies. Even Spidermen, where the character lives and fights in space was flat. All of a sudden, Marvel and ILM wise up. This not only matches but excels what we have at this time in terms of complex three dimensional motion.

The camera flies. Objects fly and the two weave in ways new to us. The camera is usually placed in some relatively stationary place to allow you to see what is going on. That place is removed from the action. Sometimes the camera becomes or emulates a POV of a flying or moving object as if it is in the action — or perhaps a character. The game in this new future is a matter of combining the two so that it has the properties of both, but is neither.

Done well, it generates pure cinematic excitement. Done well, it overwhelms everything else and thrills because it is so otherworldly. It is done well here. Done well. And it doesn't have to be used to cloud deficiencies elsewhere. All is at least competent and some things: Downey, Rockwell and the production design are excellent.

This dimensional thing is done so well that it is mirrored elsewhere. Stark's computers have a hand and voice manipulatable three dimensional, haptic, multiaffordance holographic interface. The motion is less important here than the notion of projected dimensionality. His nemesis? Well, he manages an entire army of drones by a single QWERTY keyboard and a DOS-like display. The contrast is, I think a deliberate thing. They would have pimped up Stark's machine anyway, but having the contrast is a subtle narrative reminder of the difference in dimensionality of the thing.

Oh, it is also mirrored in the two women. One is a lighthaired, ponytailed redhead who never leaves the plane. The other is a fiery darker redhead with wild hair (in her real persona) who in a remarkable fight scene is profoundly three-dimensional.

Samuel Jackson has decided to do anything, work anywhere, take any pay cut to be the face of the master organization that watches us. I think he knows that this legacy will live for generations, planted in juvenile minds eager for explanatory conspiracies. These theories for some reason rarely are discarded as kids age. It is his face now that is often associated with the leader of the new demigods the genre is creating. Smart building of intellectual property for someone with limited range.

Downey. What a guy. Let's hope he takes some of his power to create projects that matter in some way beyond merely thrilling by advancing the craft of seeing.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.

Iron Man 2, another fun and great film

Author: Michael Yu from United States
15 May 2010

It's fun and fast-paced. Robert Downey Jr. delivers again, with all the cast doing great jobs. Contrary to popular (critic) belief, Iron Man 2 brings another enjoyable superhero film to watch. The storyline continues to unfold, the action and effects are nice, and the actors all did well.

Whatever complaints other people might have on the story, the events, the lack of or excess of - it may be true, but that doesn't make it less of a great movie. Iron Man 2 was more character driven, and you truly do see many of the past characters and new ones develop. Thanks to the well-picked cast, all of the characters were fun to watch. They gave emotion and humor together, and I'm too lazy to talk about each of them individually, but Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark was definitely the savior of the whatever flaws the movie has. As he said himself, he is Iron Man, and his personality made the movie very lively.

As expected, you got to see awesome Iron Man action with lots of explosions and whatnot. Some might say that there was too much mindless blasting, like Transformers, but that's what made it fun. It mixed in with the characters evenly I think, and it's an overall great and fun movie throughout.

Not saying it didn't disappoint in some parts (which it did), but you can't please everyone. I find the first Iron Man to be better, but that was because it was a new, cool idea that just bursted out. However, Iron Man 2 continues as a worthy sequel. People just need to sit back and appreciate what's there.

The "ending" is cool, too. Make sure to watch past the credits.

A Fun Way To Kickoff The Summer

Author: theaxekeeper from United States
10 May 2010

Tony Stark, is back in this high-octane, high action summer blockbuster. The film picks up right where the first one left off, where Stark reveals that he is Iron Man. We are introduced to a new villain named Whiplash played by Mickey Rourke. We soon find out that he and Mr. Stark have much in common with their past. Meanwhile Jimmy Rhodes, played wonderfully by Don Cheadle, must deal with the government and Stark's crazy antics. This is just a reader's digest version of the story, I want to talk about the film itself. This film is the first of this summer's blockbusters. This film is bigger, louder and more action packed than it's predecessor, which not necessarily a bad thing. With the addition of Sam Rockwell and Scarlett Johansson really brings a "freshness" to the story. Director Jon Favreau has done another fantastic job, proving that he is a first rate action director. The characters are great, Paltrow gives a great supporting performance, Downey is funny and series as ever, and Rourke is a force to be reckoned with. The visual affects are very good along with solid sound editing, however, I do feel that Johansson and Sam L. Jackson, where a but underutilized. I really enjoyed this film, but I was hoping to see more from these characters. That's what sequels are for. I do like this film, but it did lack in some parts where the first one succeeded. I do love the special affects, but they could have been better. Unfortunately with the passing of special affects wizard, Stan Winston, who worked on the first film, it did loose a little luster but not much. Overall I was a satisfied as a moviegoer and a future film maker, I would definitely go see this film again. It is worth your money, but unfortunately, it will probably be overshadowed by the mind-numbing, horribly acted, D rated special affects, crapfest known as "Twilight". But hey, that is my opinion, and I'm sure people have other opinions, and that's OK.

This is how the Super Hero movies are supposed to be

Author: Trevor McGraw from United States
8 May 2010

I really liked this movie with one exception, too much unnecessary comedy. I liked how they spiced it up with all the giggles, but some of it was just too much, and it retracted from the seriousness that Iron Man is supposed to be. I also heard that black widow was useless, and her character was necessary. I was at first upset that she didn't have the accent, but it would probably conflict with Rourke's character, so its acceptable. But overall the acting was great, especially on Rourke's part, and the FX were great. And to be honest, I like Cheadle better than Howard as Rhoades, they should have gotten him in the first place.

One of the best movies of marvel studios.

Author: jfernandoga from Mexico
27 August 2010

First, this film is for fans, no for general public, I'm a big fan of marvel and I see this film 6 times, this film is great, casting was excellent, in this movie I see the shield of captain America, the hammer of Thor, and many cameos of the other heroes, black widow was excellent, i love her, mickey Rourke as whiplash was great, war machine was excellent, people say that this film have a little action and many villains, they are wrong, because a villain doesn't count his physical and weapons, but his intelligence, whiplash created his robots and he use them as pawns first to confront stark, not all is combat body to body, also has its advantages, i love this film and I'll wait for iron man 3 and I want see the mandarin.

So much fun!

Author: sleepyhead_zzz from United States
7 May 2010

So I'm the type of person who rates movies based on their enjoyability and how much I personally enjoyed them. Like, I would give Sherlock Holmes a 9.5/10 while I'd give Avatar a 8/10 just due to expectations and enjoyability.

Anyway, Iron Man 2 was A LOT OF FUN. I loved it. I went to the midnight premiere and was laughing during the entire movie. Of course, I had read the reviews anticipating a kick-butt beginning and ending with a slow middle, but that's not how the movie was for me. IM2 was one fun ride that rarely let up on its humor. Compared to IM, I don't know. I think it's just as good--if not better (WHAT?! Yes, I don't agree with the majority of IMDBers)--but it's different so I don't know how to compare.

The cast did a spectacular job. RDJ was top-notch, him and Gwyneth had delightful chemistry, Rourke was crazy intimidating, Rockwell was good over-the-top funny, Scarlett was kick-butt, and special shout-out to Favreau who was funny. Cheadle was fine...I wasn't particularly amazed by his performance, but then again, I wasn't by Howard's either.

One slight blip in the movie was that there were a lot of characters added so the movie had a bunch of plot lines. I didn't notice while watching the movie, but after watching it, I wish they had just stuck to one or two characters and elaborated on their story lines.

Anyway, IM2 was a great movie. I loved it.

No Rust on this "Iron"

Author: Scott Baldwin (Meven_Stoffat) from Canada
5 May 2010

I will admit that I was a tad worried about Iron Man 2, because, well let's face it, the first movie was so fantastic that it was almost untouchable. I mean, with the first movie, you had the extraordinary talents of Downey, Howard, Paltrow, Bridges and plenty more anchoring what was an incredible must-see summer slam of a movie. However, seeing the trailers for the second movie made me think "Uh oh, Spider Man 3 all over again." Sequels, especially superhero ones, seem to think that since they bring tons of random crap and characters into the frame, that they are always better, and as excited as I was for this movie, I felt it was going to be another one of those movies. So upon going into the theater, I kept those worries in mind.

Well, I can now officially say that those worries didn't prevent me from loving the movie.

Remember when Michael Bay tried to accomplish something epic with Transformers 2 with all these new characters and stuff? Well, Jon Faverau has managed to accomplish what Michael Bay never did- make a near-perfect sequel that manages to be just as great as the first. Now like the first, there's not a ton of action, but those scenes where action is absent, Faverau manages to make the most out of them. Complete with great action, laughs and characters, Iron Man 2 is the first big summer movie, and a must see on the big screen for sure, especially if you see it in digital! Iron Man 2 picks up half a year from when the first movie left off. The Stark Expo has just begun in Flushing, New York, and is to last all year. Tony, in a televised hearing, privatizes world peace. Life seems to be great, except for the fact that the reactor keeping him alive is killing him. This doesn't stop him from being Iron Man though- he continues to go on as Iron Man for the moment. He even considers replacing Pepper Potts with Natalie Rushman, appointing Potts a CEO to Stark Industries. However, in Russia, Ivan Vanko, the son of physicist Anton Vanko, having just lost his father and jealous of Stark's success, creates his own arc reactor, and becomes Whiplash, a badass villain with two electrified whips that can split anything in half with enough force.

His first appearance is at a race in Monaco, and after a brief (and failed) attempt to kill Tony, he meets up with Justin Hammer, Stark's rival, and they both collaborate to build a new technology that will hopefully overthrow Tony. However, with a stint at Tony's house appointing James Rhodes as War Machine, and several other plots, Tony Stark, suffering through personal problems, doesn't know if he really can be Iron Man and resolve all this.

Now the plot may not sound that great, but when you see it in the movie, you will be impressed with how complex it is. To not spoil too much, I left some stuff out, because the movie is that great. Aside from the plot, everything else is great. The acting here is fantastic! Robert Downey Jr. has his usual charm here, playing the lovable dick-head that is Tony Stark. Replacing Terrence Howard is Don Cheadle, and he does it well! I can't believe I am saying this but I actually preferred him to Howard. Howard was great but wooden in places, whereas Cheadle was great the whole way. And Scarlett Johannson… whoa. When is she NEVER eye candy? As for her performance- this movie proves she is not just another pretty face. Her fight scene is just… mind blowingly amazing! Mickey Rourke gives a a fantastic performance as well, and manages to shine as the villain, Of course, halfway through, the movie takes a break from the action and focuses on some character development- I was worried about it at first hearing but as I was watching the movie, I realized that sometimes, in superhero movies, character development does more than whiz-bang action. Don't worry guys, the scenes where action is absent are just as great as the scenes with action. But the action scenes are INCREDIBLE!!!! People are exaggerating the lack of action- the last 20 minutes alone has more action than the first, and is certainly more thrilling than the first too. The climax certainly is a thrill, and I gotta say I had a blast seeing it on the big screen.

So in short, Iron Man 2 is a success. I had tons of fun seeing it on the big screen. A great sequel and a great standalone movie, Iron Man 2 is a sequel that truly kicks ass. Whatever worries you may have, I recommend you cast them aside, because you're in for a 2 hour fun ride. So if you wanna see a sequel that truly kicks ass, this movie is it!

Full of asskickery and unadulterated awesomeness

Author: euthymic89 from Singapore
3 May 2010

I have to admit that the first movie was better but let's not compare. In all fairness, though the ratio of dialogue to action is 3:1 (more or less), I was still caught in awe the whole time. I am deeply amazed by the power of technology that was being depicted in the movie and how Tony Stark made use of such immensely spectacular hi-tech things combined with his wit and intelligence. It was literally all in the palm of his hands.

The storyline is great. It has shown another side of the Stark Industries' success and legacy which gives rise to the vendetta perpetrated by the infuriated and angst-y villain which was played really effectively by Mickey Rourke.

Robert Downey Jr again affirms his compelling appeal, charm and skill on-screen. He's a really cool superhero with a mix of humor, narcissism (in a cute way), and fiercely gallant persona, not to mention HOT as hell! Scarlett Johansson is amazingly badass!! Gwyneth Paltrow is still beautiful.

The movie maintained its humor which could irreproachably burst the cinema into laughter. I was expecting more funny scenes though. I guess I was expecting too much. But the serious side of storyline didn't fail me.

The effects were really cool and great. This movie makes Transformers look bad. The robots here are BADDER! really badass. Pay attention to the dialogues, they are really penetrating.

Watch this movie. It would live you wanting more. Truly mindblowing and kickass! P.S Stay until after the credits.