IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 73:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Iron Man 2 hits all the sweet spots, and it is GODLY.

Author: SubZeroMK from Canada
7 May 2010

When I first heard that Iron Man was being made into a movie, I didn't care much, but I still wanted to see it because of the action. I also chose to see it because Robert Downey Jr. was playing the role of Iron Man/Tony Stark. I've been a fan of Rob since Chaplin, that was truly a masterpiece, he can work the English accent perfectly. I always thought he was English because the first movie I saw with him was Natural Born Killers, but he was obviously Australian in that.

Anyways, I finished watching the movie and I was blown away by the sheer awesomeness of it. So, I chose to go back on my comic book hobby that I used to have 8 years ago. I first picked up on the World's Most Wanted storyline that is part of the Dark Reign event. I was hooked, so I decided that Iron Man is my new favourite Marvel hero, next to Blade, they're on the same level of epic. I read a famous story arc called "Extremis". I LOVED IT! I loved the dark tone to it, the virus created by Pharmlabs in Austin, Texas somehow slipped into some criminal's hands and he went haywire. Iron Man saved the day by taking the same dose of Extremis, he and the suit TRULY BECAME ONE, just like he says at the Senate conference in this movie. I won't say much because you'll love reading it, and it's really fun acting out the captions.

Anyways, the next storyline I'm reading is Civil War, it's interesting to see his position in all of it. I still have 74 issues to go. My point is, if you're an Iron Man fan like me, and if you read the comics (which REALLY helped) then you will consider this the best movie in move-making history. I certainly do, we will see how the Avengers can top this, but I know Iron Man 3 will top Iron Man 2.

Now, onto the movie. The intro starts off really well, with recordings from the ending of the first film where he announces that he is indeed Iron Man. It then cuts to Moscow, Russia where we get to see Whiplash's character intro. Truly sad to see the hand dealt to his father, Anton, apparently his father worked with Howard Stark, Tony Stark's father, and somewhere along the line, Howard took Anton's ideas and kicked him to the curb, in the Russian ghetto. Whiplash swore revenge on this, and let me just say the way the Monaco scene was setup was just AMAZING.

On top of the movie being awesome, it even added humour to it, just like in the last one. Happy Hogan gets more screen time and lines. We get to see more of Nick Fury and the sexy, and seductive, Black Widow just to put the cherry on top. Justin Hammer, rival competitor to Tony Stark and Stark Industries wants to conquer over Stark Industries with H.A.M.M.E.R. advanced weapons systems. But he knows that he can never get the praise and approval of the public like Tony gets. It triggers his ego to go haywire, he truly needs Tony to succeed with his company.

Moving on to the plot which is very well done and fantastic. This is a Marvel fan's wet dream come true. It combines the story lines of Armor Wars and Demon in a Bottle. Tony Stark's arc reactor is keeping him alive and killing him now, at the same time. He needs to come up with a solution and a new suit, which he does later in the course of the plot. This film is truly a masterpiece directed by none other than the prestigious Jon Favreau. Him and Robert are the DREAM TEAM as I like to call it.

The audience was cheering was laughter, enjoyment and praise. They gave it a standing ovation after the movie was over, a theatre full of joy. I must admit, I really do envy Robert Downey Jr. for the kind of man he is. He has been dealt with the hand of jail and he has had his own little demon in a bottle experience,but the got back up on top, along with Mickey Rourke and has been given a second chance, and he took it.

The acting was superb by all the cast members. The special effects and action had fans like myself drooling for more of it, just to appreciate the sheer beauty of it. I can guarantee you that this movie will make A LOT of money, maybe even over 1 billion and I hope it does because of the incredible hype it has received and well deserved too.

The movie has a special Captain America easter egg and a secret ending after the credits. So stay in your seats. The music was very well done and in the right moments.

Iron Man 2 gets my envy and full respect. This is truly the movie of the year, and possibly the decade until Iron Man 3 can top it off. People asked has the Dark Knight set standards too high for comic book movies? I'd say it didn't set them high enough, Iron Man 2 SURPASSES TDK in every way possible. This movie is godly. Rob and Jon are the dream team, never forget that people and Hollywood. They are the future of the movie industry. LONG LIVE IRON MAN!

P.S.

Oh and as of this year from May 6th to May 10th, you should all celebrate IRON MAN DAYS. On those four days, celebrate the great achievement Stan Lee and Jack Kirby has created.

What are these naysayers talking about. This is a great sequel!

Author: knapp-10 from Cayman Islands
17 May 2010

If just for the comedy in this film it rates an 8 IMO. This has a new twist story line; great action; new science; and more laughs than I could count. The humor is fast and always coming until the very end. It's also intelligent because it makes you think about the science and the possibility of peace. In fact, the only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it seems that all movies today need to blast your eardrums out to get people into the theaters. Hopefully, they'll learn that when you get these movies to your standard home theaters, there's a problem balancing volume for dialog and action.

I thought it was a great sequel and can't imagine what the people who have been cutting it down here on IMDb were talking about. Thank goodness I didn't just read these but listened to people that saw it here.

Go see it - if you liked the first you won't be disappointed. I promise.

"I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one."

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
4 May 2010

As a comic book fan, it is hard for me to admit if a certain movie has not met the huge expectations that a comic book fan may hold...Batman Begins, Dark Knight held there own, the X-Men movies not so much, Fantastic Four movies were satisfactory....Daredevil was a travesty...Iron-Man was brilliant.....This sequel, is a 50/50 for me... The beginning was brilliant, the middle was slow and random...and the end was satisfactory.

The world now knows Tony Stark is Iron-Man and he lives the high life and battles injustice, but the rest of the world wants Tony's suit. Especially the American government.

Robert Downey Jr is funny, charming and a little eccentric, which works with the Stark character. Gwyneth Paltrow is beautiful then ever before, she plays the caring, at times bossy secretary who is the only reason as to why Stark is still running a multi-billion dollar business. Justin Hammer played by Sam Rockwell is funny, annoying; which does wonders for our ever growing love for Stark...Mickey Rourke is satisfactory as the villain who wants to destroy Tony Stark, we don't really feel scared. And it seems that Rourke is a combination of 'Whiplash' and 'Crimson Dynamo'...But for me...Don Cheadle seemed to be out of place, I preferred Terrence Howard as Rhodey, Don Cheadle did not deliver lines very well, he did not have that 'No Nonsense' attitude that Rhodey has....Or it did not come across very well. Lastly, Samuel L.Jackson actually played Nick Fury pretty well, while I would have preferred to see Olga Kruylenko as Natalie Romanov, Scarlett Johanson was fine.

The middle for me seemed to be a bit slow with random seems, yes we needed to witness the trials Tony faced but it was not dark enough for me. I would have liked to see Tony battle alcoholism, and then hand over his mantle to Rhodes, who would eventually become 'War-Machine' towards the end of the film.....Make it a little closer to the comics.

But, the one thing that sold it to me, actually two things...The suit and the epic battle between Iron-Man, War Machine and the Drones.The special effects were simply dazzling and definitely a must see for all comic book fans.

Currently waiting for Iron Man 3.....

Author: Jackpollins from United States
8 May 2010

After the surprisingly fantastic Iron Man, old and new faces join forces for Iron Man 2, an equally fantastic sequel. After long months of waiting for this film, it exceeded my expectations and made me want the Iron Man series to be never ending. There's something about Robert Downey Jr's sarcastic tone and out there charisma that suits this character (no pun intended). Mickey Rourke & Sam Rockwell are now villains Ivan & Justin, two competitors of Tony Stark (Downey, JR). Don Cheadle plays James Rhodes, AKA Warhead, Scarlett Johansson plays Natalie, Samuel L. Jackson plays Nick Fury, Jon Favreau plays Happy, Paul Bettany plays Jarvis, Leslie Bibb plays Christine, and Garry Shandling plays Senator Stern. Guess what? They're all excellent. Shandling, especially, who has some of the funniest lines I have seen thus far this year. Rockwell has one of the funniest opening scenes in the film. There's so much to like about Iron Man 2, that, although not flawless, you forget its flaws, and just enjoy the spectacular ride you are to have. I can't decide what I want first, for Iron Man 3 to come out or for this to be in my DVD collection. Either way, see this film right away.

Pleasantly Surprised again

Author: ZekeRage911 from United States
1 June 2010

When I saw the first Iron Man movie, I was surprised at just how competently filmed and well acted that movie was. When compared to all "Super Hero" movies before it, Iron Man was easily at the top. Then the Dark Knight came out and sent everyone else packing. Then Watchmen came out and everyone put their stuff away and went back to work.

In short, Iron Man is the story of a very intelligent, highly flawed man who can barely keep his life together while facing super-human threats. In other words, every other Marvel character out there. But The movie is so well acted, and the dialog so perfectly askew that you really feel drawn in. It's not over-dramatic (well, a few scenes) but overall it's a solid story. When I heard the sequel would feature A. Whiplash, B. Black Widow, C. War Machine, and D. An army of Iron Man knockoff robots, I was honestly skeptical as to how the movie could possibly not be stupid.

The movie was not stupid. A few parts where Tony is ruining his life because he thinks he's dying are, to be honest, a little irritating to watch. But by the end of the movie we really are on his side because he is such a likable character.

A lot of people complained about replacing Rhody. In the first movie he was played by Terrance Howard, and in the second by Don Cheadle. People were angry and wanted to know why. I will tell you why. Don Cheadle can act. Terrence Howard can't. Watch his scenes in the first movie, he's blowing his lines everywhere. He's wooden, and uninteresting. Now watch Don Cheadle in the second, he's intense, he's genuine, and he's grammatically correct. "An unfortunate training exercise occurred yesterday," is a line that logically makes no sense. The line is "An unfortunate INCIDENT occurred DURING a training exercise yesterday." If that's the take they kept, imagine what's on the cutting room floor, or more likely, ashes in Terrence Howard's agents office.

Now while the whole 'secret your father left you' angle is pretty cliché and ham-handed, we quickly forget this as Stark goes back to what he does best, which is wreck his house and build a thing. He's great at building things, and watching him build things makes every nerd giddy. It's like Mythbusters but with CGI effects.

Also, Jon Favreau is a very clever devil. Knowing that every fan-boy is looking for signs of the eventual Avengers movie, he coyly inserted a half-formed Captain America Shield into the 'building the thing' scene. Agent Colson picks it up, Tony Stark looks at it in wonder and says "Yes, that's exactly what I need!" and then uses it to prop up part of the thing he's built. Yes, friends, it's a meta-fan-boy joke.

Oh, and if you DON'T want to sit through the credits to see the secret scene at the end (and trust me, it's not worth it) I will SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT! Tell you what it is. It's a crater in the middle of the desert with Thor's Hammer sticking out of it. SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!! So, ultimately, is this movie worth seeing? Yes. It's probably one of the better movies to come out this summer, but then I don't get out much, so I could be wrong, but it cleaned Robin Hood's clock. Say, didn't we HAVE a gritty Robin Hood movie come out already? Prince of something something? Not of Persia? Before I ramble on any more: Surprisingly solid story, well acted, gorgeous special effects, decent action scenes, and Scarlet Johanssen is so hot even my Girlfriend's jaw dropped. It surprised the HELL out of me, I thought she was more into Gweneth.

Complex but FUN..... Believe The Hype, GREAT film.

Author: sidfargas from Australia
4 May 2010

Iron Man 2 delivers action with great emotional moments and a movie that lives up to all the hype it has generated. It hits a high standard of excellence by combining humor, a complex plot, breathtaking action sequences, a heavy dose of self discovery and realization, betrayal, forgiveness, love and puts it all together in one amazing package. All too infrequently, a much hyped blockbuster hits the mark with such power that it resonates above all others. Iron Man 2 is such a movie. Much like the first film, it's truly deep and complex but sacrifices none of the fun. The inner turmoil worked well, the beautiful thing is that we can relate to each character, especially that of Tony Stark. Stark's indomitable charm mixed with his flawed character makes this hero more interesting then most. Mark my words; Iron Man 2 is a movie people will be talking about all year if not for years to come. Iron Man 2 delivers action with great emotional moments and a movie that lives up to all the hype it has generated.

Iron Man Does It Again

Author: mack-50 from United States
9 May 2010

The anticipation to see the follow-up to 2008's Iron Man was quite high and it was hard to expect anything less than sheer awesomeness. Fortunately the movie delivered in spades and did not fail to impress on most accounts.

The Cast: For starters, Robert Downey Jr. reprises his role as Tony Stark, the billionaire, egocentric, narcissist CEO of Stark Industries. While initially skeptical before the first movie I could not think of anyone better suited for this roll now and RD Jr. is easily one of the most watchable actors in film today. Gwenyth Paltro is back as Pepper Potts and while her role seems slightly subdued in this film it certainly isn't due to her lack of acting skill which is, as always quite in tact. Seeing Scarlett Johanssen as the striking Natalie Romanoff however was an incredibly welcome treat. I can't help but fall in love with Scarlett nearly every time I see her on the big screen and she performed admirably in the film with a few outright stunning karate style ass-kicking stunts. Don Cheadle replaces Terrance Howard as Rhodey and when the change was first revealed I wasn't happy, but if there is any ONE good replacement it would have to be Cheadle. Rhodey's character is a bit cold and calculated even though he is supposed to be close friends with Stark. Sam Rockwell appears in Iron Man 2 as Justin Hammer. A nemesis to Tony Stark on the business front and Sam is always great to watch although somewhat annoying which is what the film was gunning for in his character. I've been a fan ever since I saw him in McG's Charlie's Angels as the evil Sam Knox.

I could go on with the cast of characters like Mickey Rourke playing the evil Ivan Vanko, Samuel L. Jackson as Shield's Nick Furty, Gary Shandling as the annoying Senator Stern and even some great cameo's by DJ AM (rest his soul), CNN's Christiane Amanpour, Bill O'Reilly as the Fox no-spin master himself and even G4's super sexy Oliva Munn who were all an absolute pleasure to watch and even more so if you keep your thumb on current pop culture. But I digress.

The Story: This time we see Tony Stark suffering from his chest mounted power source that is literally poisoning him from the inside and there is seemingly no cure. A great plot thickener to be sure but not before Tony and Iron Man have a chance to discover there is also another bad boy of technology on the block in the name of Ivan Venko. Apparently the son of an inventor that Tony Stark's father worked with briefly before getting into a nasty bit of business and ending badly many years ago which brings Ivan back for furious vengeance against Stark and team and eventually going to work for Hammer who is trying to secure a contract with the US government for futuristic arms development. All the while the US government is trying to "acquire" Iron Man technology for "safe keeping" should the nation need to use it while Mr. Stark is off on one of his wild weekend long parties. The part where congress calls in Tony Stark to testify on why he should give up Iron Man technology to the government is particularly entertaining.

Issues: While the movie was great in my opinion it was not without a few issues of note. I found it interesting that Ivan Venko arrived at the race in Monaco in order to confront Iron Man yet it was a last minute change that even brought Tony out onto the track. Quite a large oversight for such a high profile movie.

Also with regards to Tony Stark's relationship with Pepper Potts. Throughout the movie there was little to no sexual tension or overt attractions between the two. However at the very end they seemed to unnaturally pin the two together for something more serious. It seemed rushed and out of place in my opinion.

Closing: With that said I'll leave the rest to imagination and you to see the movie to discover the great storyline, incredible action sequences and entertaining one-liners throughout and let's not forget about the ass kicking sound track officially consisting of all classic AC/DC but with snippets of other great tunes such as Daft Punk's Robot Rock played during an appropriate fight scene between Iron Man and….Oh well lets just save that for the movie shall we? If you enjoyed the first Iron Man I'm fairly certain Iron Man 2 will not disappoint you in the least. Enjoy!

it's a challenge to build the second piece of the puzzle, but by Jove, director Jon Favreau and his cast and crew have done it with flying colors

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
13 May 2010

It was quite a challenge to top such an exhilarating, original (at least by today's storytelling standards) summer extravaganza like 2008's big hit "Iron Man." That film was well done on a technical level, but the reason why it is so good and why it is twice the movie that "Transformers" (2007) was because it used its special effects as a service to its story instead of simply relying on them to save the day. So it's a real challenge to not only build on that, but improve upon that. But by Jove, director Jon Favreau and his cast and crew have done that with flying colors with "Iron Man 2" which to my mind is not only better than the original, but the best film that I've seen so far this year.

The movie picks up where the first one left with Robert Downey Jr.'s alcoholic, eccentric character of Tony Stark revealing his alter-ego identity as Iron Man. While he combats a power-greedy senator's strive to strip him of his technological triumph and to maintain a somewhat stable employer-employee (and sometimes romantic) relationship to his assistant Pepper Potts, again played with grace and conviction by Gwyneth Paltrow, a new villain with his own technological tools and dazzling wit (Mickey Rourke) arrives, seeking revenge not only on Stark as a person, but his legacy.

It seems to be a trend these days for the second installment in superhero movie franchises to be better than the first. That was the case with Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man" saga, with Christopher Nolan's marvelous reinvention of the Batman character, and now with Jon Favreau's Iron Man pictures. In my original review, I stated that I really enjoyed the first "Iron Man" picture but felt that its climax was a little lacking and that there were some weak zones in its plot. However, all of that is built up and enhanced with the sequel and if there is one word I can use to describe it, it is: exhilarating. Even as it builds up new story lines with new characters, some of which may be ostensibly unnecessary, it never bogs down.

Like "Spider-Man 2", "Iron Man 2" brings up the plot element of the main character's alter-ego taking over his life to the point where his normal life starts to fall apart, causing him to shun his responsibilities and obligations. Although this is a sort of familiar story, the filmmakers do a great job at keeping things on the move. What's also great, and carrying down from the first picture is how it's not all grim and tough, but has effective moments of comedy such as a scene where Scarlett Johanssen reveals to a cocky boxing manager that she knows a little more about the sport than she led him to believe. And of course the highlights are conversations between Robert Downey, Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow and these melodramatic moments are blended with the more traditional tones seamlessly so that it does not feel like the movie is phasing in and out of one personality, heck, like its central character.

You want special effects? You got 'em. Just like in the first picture, "Iron Man 2" is packed with lots of explosives, bursts of action, ear-jarring sound effects, and marvelous camera tricks and cinematography to lock the audience's attention in place. But once again, these special effects, unlike the effects in "Transformers" and its sequel, are used as a service to the story and that is why they do not overstay their welcome. The movie saves its drawn-out climax to the end and this climax is twice as exciting as the somewhat shallow final battle of the first movie.

Robert Downey Jr. is still most effective as the troubled character of Tony Stark. He's charming, witty, humorous, and believable not as a caricature, but as a human being. Gwyneth Paltrow is equally effective as Pepper Potts; Scarlett Johansson is both seductive and convincing as the new assistant who has her own way of backing herself up; Sam Rockwell does a fantastic job playing the techno-dweeb big on money but short on brawn; Mickey Rourke is sinister and cold-blooded as the villain; and Don Cheadle does a surprisingly good job taking over for Terence Howard as Tony Stark's military pal.

I can't think of one person I know whom I won't recommend seeing "Iron Man 2." From start to finish, this is one exhilarating piece of film-making. It excels, I say, over its already exhilarating predecessor and many of its companion superhero sagas, and proves itself to be one truly enjoyable time at the movies.

Fun but also Smart! It has the right amount of humor, angst and drama

Author: peabody from United States
28 April 2010

Iron Man 2 sure delivers the fun but it's such intelligent fun. Honestly, its Stan Lee meets Shakespeare. The Hammer/Stark rivalry is more like Hamlet and Claudius then Superman to Lex Luthor. Iron Man is simply more complex as a character then anything else you'll see in a summer film but it loses none of the spark or none of the pure popcorn fun. How many other films can you say that about? Stark's vulnerability is very much on display here as his personal life crumbles through various unique conflicts. He has to struggle with the government for control of his armor and deal with his growing celebrity. At the same time his personal life takes a turn as a love triangle emerges. He (like soon all of America) becomes attracted to his new aide (the lovely Scarlett Johansson), causing tension with his former assistant but now new Stark Industries CEO Pepper Potts (the also lovely Gwyneth Paltrow). They manage to pull all this off remarkably well and still leave character time for Rhodey and the villains. It's a believable sci-fi story featuring an intellect story that's wild but has the right amount of humor, angst and drama. Like I remember about Iron Man 1, I can't think of a weak moment in the film. The visual effects are incredible. They did the memory of their boss, the great Stan Winston, proud. They set the bar high again. Now the only question is whether they have anything left in the tank for Iron Man 3? I'm betting that they do.

An exhilarating and funny superhero sequel.

Author: G K from Mars
11 June 2010

Iron Man 2 is a fine sequel. Almost the whole cast returns intact, and director Jon Favreau has more screen time in his role as Happy Hogan. Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is riding high after the events of Iron Man (2008). He has become famous worldwide, and he re-institutes the Stark Expo. But problems begin to pile up. Another wealthy industrialist wants his Iron Man technology. Then a new villain appears. Stark's relationship with his assistant Virginia Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) is also expanded upon. There's a lot going on in the film, but its rather weak script hurts it for sure. Mickey Rourke as the villain Ivan Vanko stands out. He's more menacing than Obadiah Stane was in the first film. Vanko's first encounter with Stark leads to a thrilling fight scene. Unfortunately Rourke's character isn't fully developed. This is a problem with other characters in the film as well. Vanko is a memorable villain but if Rourke was given more screen time and his character had more of a backstory I'm sure he could have been even more memorable. Still, Rourke tried to make his character as complex as he could.

The film's special effects are excellent. Some of the time, however, they're used on shootouts and explosions that don't produce much excitement. There's a lot more humour this time around. I was smiling or laughing during most of the film. Scarlett Johansson as the beautiful Natasha Romanoff gets to show off some impressive martial arts moves. It's rather funny afterwards because no one else can fight like her. Overall, the film is not as good as Iron Man. Still, it's an entertaining summer blockbuster and the performances are solid. I wasn't expecting much from the film but was pleasantly surprised. I recommend Iron Man 2.

Page 1 of 73:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]