IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 74: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

"It's Good To Be Back"

Author: Jan Kalina from Czech Republic
17 November 2010

And indeed it is. The first Iron Man came like lighting from a clear blue sky, a movie that started Robert Downey Jr's career, movie loved by audience and critics. Now there is a sequel and people are asking if it's worth it. And I say Hell Yeah.

Now when the whole world knows who Iron Man is, Tony is having a hard time staying alive. There are two men coming after him, a Russian Ivan Vanko who has an unfinished business with Tony. He claims that he stole the idea for the arc reactor from his father (which of course isn't entirely true, he is a Russian, you can't believe those.) The second guy after him is actually a competitor in business, Justin Hammer, who, for years is trying to build a suit like Iron Man's but with horrible results. Now with the government wanting Tony's Iron Man suit and Stark Industries closed for business, he has a chance to become the leading weapons industry.

The acting and the cast here are truly remarkable. Robert Downey Jr. is, well he is Robert Downey Jr. He is perfect as usual, you can't miss with him being cast in your movie. Gwyneth Paltrow does a great job being the love interest. Mickey Rourke doesn't have much time on screen but when he is you can see he enjoys the role and still tries to establish the character even with such limited screen time. Sam Rockwell is the comical villain and he is great at it. Samuel L. Jackson is a synonym of the word cool and he proves it once again as Nick Fury. He briefly appears but when he does he's got one of the best lines in the movie such as "Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to exit the donut." or " I am very real. I'm the realest person you're ever gonna meet". The weakest link in the chain is Don Cheadle. He horribly doesn't fit as James Rhodes. He is uninteresting, and he acts too serious for this role. This is supposed to be entertaining, fun movie. And when he has no idea what to do, he copies Terrence Howard's take on this character. His character changed from the best friend ever to the worst friend. He became arrogant too. He actually thinks he is better than Iron Man!! But that of course isn't true. As always there is a great little cameo by Stan Lee. I can't forget all the rush on the internet Olivia Munn being a superhero and then she had just a tiny cameo as a news reporter. I was chuckling in the theater and no one had idea why.

Casting Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow was the smartest idea anyone ever had. She is the sexiest woman on Earth and seeing her in a tight leather suit is worth all the money on Earth. Her only fight scene in the hallway with like a dozen guards is amazing. It is one of the best choreographed fights of this year. It is just purely awesome, sexy, full of adrenaline and even funny.

I just feel like all those composers started to try again after last year's (almost) fiasco. OK, there were few exceptions, the Star Trek soundtrack, Up soundtrack and the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack. In this year there is more than just three great soundtracks and Iron Man 2 is one of them. The score is darker and more bad-ass. Three tracks that really stand out: the first track (Ivan's Metamorphosis), Monaco Drive with this heavy James Bond feel and the track titled Black Widow Kicks Ass. Soundtrack as such features songs from AC/DC, Queen and even Daft Punk.

There are more action scenes in this one than in the first movie. The action scenes are much better, they are fast paced, bad ass, simply better. There is even one car chase scene.

In summary, if you liked the first then I guarantee you that you will enjoy this one too, it's a must-see for any fan of Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Iron Man or a comic-books. (There are tons of comic-book references including the Avengers, Hulk and it's just great fun looking for them.) This is a great, entertaining summer movie so go and watch it.

Definitely wait until the end of the credits there is a great extra scene and you find out what agent Coulson was doing in New Mexico.

Possibly Better than Original!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
30 September 2010

I went in the theaters with an open mind ready to expect the best and that is what I got. Iron Man 2 is just as good maybe even better than the first one. Robert Downey Jr is superb as Tony Stark once again. I also loved the performance by Mickey Rourke as Whiplash. I didn't expect much out of him. And of course we all know why Scarlett Johansson is here.

This movie takes place right after Stark becomes public. He has to deal with the government who wants to take his suit and Whiplash who wants to kill him because of his father, Howard.

I loved everything here. I enjoyed the action, the chicks, the cars, the special effects, and much more. The only thing I really hated was that Don Cheadle replaced Terrence Howard. I love Cheadle's acting but Howard was perfect in the first one.

Overall, this is a fantastic sequel. I hope they make Iron man 3 and I can't wait until the Avengers in two years. I rate this film 10/10.

it's a challenge to build the second piece of the puzzle, but by Jove, director Jon Favreau and his cast and crew have done it with flying colors

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
13 May 2010

It was quite a challenge to top such an exhilarating, original (at least by today's storytelling standards) summer extravaganza like 2008's big hit "Iron Man." That film was well done on a technical level, but the reason why it is so good and why it is twice the movie that "Transformers" (2007) was because it used its special effects as a service to its story instead of simply relying on them to save the day. So it's a real challenge to not only build on that, but improve upon that. But by Jove, director Jon Favreau and his cast and crew have done that with flying colors with "Iron Man 2" which to my mind is not only better than the original, but the best film that I've seen so far this year.

The movie picks up where the first one left with Robert Downey Jr.'s alcoholic, eccentric character of Tony Stark revealing his alter-ego identity as Iron Man. While he combats a power-greedy senator's strive to strip him of his technological triumph and to maintain a somewhat stable employer-employee (and sometimes romantic) relationship to his assistant Pepper Potts, again played with grace and conviction by Gwyneth Paltrow, a new villain with his own technological tools and dazzling wit (Mickey Rourke) arrives, seeking revenge not only on Stark as a person, but his legacy.

It seems to be a trend these days for the second installment in superhero movie franchises to be better than the first. That was the case with Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man" saga, with Christopher Nolan's marvelous reinvention of the Batman character, and now with Jon Favreau's Iron Man pictures. In my original review, I stated that I really enjoyed the first "Iron Man" picture but felt that its climax was a little lacking and that there were some weak zones in its plot. However, all of that is built up and enhanced with the sequel and if there is one word I can use to describe it, it is: exhilarating. Even as it builds up new story lines with new characters, some of which may be ostensibly unnecessary, it never bogs down.

Like "Spider-Man 2", "Iron Man 2" brings up the plot element of the main character's alter-ego taking over his life to the point where his normal life starts to fall apart, causing him to shun his responsibilities and obligations. Although this is a sort of familiar story, the filmmakers do a great job at keeping things on the move. What's also great, and carrying down from the first picture is how it's not all grim and tough, but has effective moments of comedy such as a scene where Scarlett Johanssen reveals to a cocky boxing manager that she knows a little more about the sport than she led him to believe. And of course the highlights are conversations between Robert Downey, Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow and these melodramatic moments are blended with the more traditional tones seamlessly so that it does not feel like the movie is phasing in and out of one personality, heck, like its central character.

You want special effects? You got 'em. Just like in the first picture, "Iron Man 2" is packed with lots of explosives, bursts of action, ear-jarring sound effects, and marvelous camera tricks and cinematography to lock the audience's attention in place. But once again, these special effects, unlike the effects in "Transformers" and its sequel, are used as a service to the story and that is why they do not overstay their welcome. The movie saves its drawn-out climax to the end and this climax is twice as exciting as the somewhat shallow final battle of the first movie.

Robert Downey Jr. is still most effective as the troubled character of Tony Stark. He's charming, witty, humorous, and believable not as a caricature, but as a human being. Gwyneth Paltrow is equally effective as Pepper Potts; Scarlett Johansson is both seductive and convincing as the new assistant who has her own way of backing herself up; Sam Rockwell does a fantastic job playing the techno-dweeb big on money but short on brawn; Mickey Rourke is sinister and cold-blooded as the villain; and Don Cheadle does a surprisingly good job taking over for Terence Howard as Tony Stark's military pal.

I can't think of one person I know whom I won't recommend seeing "Iron Man 2." From start to finish, this is one exhilarating piece of film-making. It excels, I say, over its already exhilarating predecessor and many of its companion superhero sagas, and proves itself to be one truly enjoyable time at the movies.

An enjoyable banter-filled character driven super-hero film.

Author: Damon Kaufman from United States
10 May 2010

A delightful banter heavy super-hero film in which the emphasis of the film is clearly put on the character of the film and less so on the super-heroic exploits and trials that comic-based films generally focus upon. The diminished focus on action pieces might threaten to bog the picture down but the character interactions and their barbed-filled vocal exchanges keep the film moving along at a clean pace until the inevitable CG heavy battle scenes.

Not that there is a lack of money spent in terms of CG wizardry on the screen. But instead of merely focusing their efforts on the suit battles, the film is littered with highly detailed sets and the constant use of extremely high-tech holographic touch sensitive technology is all pervasive. Not to diminish the skirmishes involving the Iron Man suit though as they are fun to watch, very smoothly executed and very aesthetically pleasing especially Micky Rourke's frankensteined creation clashing with Tony Stark's ultra-slick technology.

The plot itself treads no particular new ground although it does attempt to through in a great many sub-plots and personal dilemmas for the ample cast of characters to deal with. The problem with most of these dilemmas is that they generate very little serious drama as they are mainly dealt with in either a succinct manner or are treated in a rather glib fashion and things just sort of seem to work themselves out almost accidentally due to the increased amount of events and characters involved basically just diluting the situation to the point that it almost seems an afterthought when it is reconciled. This casual dismissive tone carries over to the antagonists as the film spreads itself out a little too thin to the point that what should have been powerful character conflicts involving the major characters just seem like minor scuffles.

There is also the odd sort of underlying theme of a stereo-typical conservative American approach to the way in which the film idolizes weaponry and pushes the agenda that America possessing the most powerful weapon in the world would undoubtedly result in an increase in world peace. Then there's also the extra step the film takes that Americans apparently feel more comfortable in having a shallow, fun-loving, but seemingly trust worthy private individual in possession of the most powerful weapon in the world but not their own government.

Is the writer trying to make a statement about the current mental state of American with the increase in paranoia and private militias or is it just more poorly thought out Hollywood worship of the Dirty Harry one man army character doing things we are afraid to take responsibility for? The film makes an attempt to explore the folly of this approach by the sudden attack of Ivan Vanko utilizing similar technology that supposedly was beyond the reach of the rest of the world as promised by Stark. This is then further compounded by a frustrated military friend being able to utilize one of the suits which seems improbable considering the vast amount of hack proof machinery that Stark regularly employs. But like with most issues in Iron Man these are just brushed aside or ignored in the face of an impending threat and we are left wondering what became of all that anyways? But despite all these faults I found the film infectiously enjoyable. Despite the fact that many characters aren't utilized to their fullest, they are immediately compelling and a joy to watch when they are on the screen. Micky Roarke is incredibly fun to watch as he is both a brutal thug and a introverted technology wizard who is only truly friendly to his father and his bird. Tony's relationship with his ambiguously defined girlfriend Pepper Potts is very engaging and their constant over-lapping dialogue exchanges were genuinely funny and wholly natural. Of course most of this has to do with Robert Downey Jr.'s great acting abilities and he really elevates the quality of the movie with his level of skill.

Despite the intensely glib tone of the movie I found the whole thing very enjoyable. There's nothing new here to be sure, but the abilities of everyone involved elevate the movie as a whole into a very satisfying experience.

Only the churlish would complain!

Author: GJ in Singapore from London
3 May 2010

I saw this at a free preview in Singapore, so reviewing it seems like the least I can do. More importantly, not only was it great value for a free viewing, but I plan to pay to see it again later this week.

Sequels almost always suck, so I was expecting to be disappointed, especially as I loved the first movie (and I'm not a comic book movie fan, generally).

Robert Downey Jr is just great, again! Iron Man, and now IronMan 2, is warm, and funny, and entertaining... because Downey is.

Supporting characters from last time (Paltrow, Cheadle, Favreau) were fine, and provided continuity. Cheadle had a bit more this time, so we got the bromance thang going.

This time Stark's joined by a bunch of new characters. Sam Rockwell was thoroughly entertaining as his arch-rival Justin Hammer, very funny. Scarlett Johansson got to wear some skin-tight outfit as an ass-kicking Russian spy, nice. Samuel L. Jackson, shows up briefly (but very coolly) as a one-eyed spy boss. And the resurrected Mickey Rourke shows off his Russian accent as the vengeful genius with a grudge, and a neat turn in remote controlled drone (very topical) Iron Men.

And let's not forget the Ironettes! Even the AC/DC soundtrack was OK (and I loathe AC/DC, they're so last century).

If you liked Iron Man, you'll like Iron Man 2. What more do you want, buddy?

It just has an energy to it that can't quite be described in words!

Author: Hellmant from United States
14 September 2010

'IRON MAN 2': Five Stars (Out of Five)

Like many second films in popular fantasy / action franchises (THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK', 'THE DARK KNIGHT', 'SPIDER-MAN 2', 'ALIENS', 'TERMINATOR 2', 'X-MEN 2', etc.)'IRON MAN 2' takes what worked about the first film and totally ups the ante and creatively expands on the characters and drama of the first film to probably it's emotional and entertaining peak! It in many ways blows the first film out of the water. Although the action is a lot less frequent than you might expect, from a big superhero blockbuster extravaganza like this, when it does happen it's breathtaking; the race-car fight scene, which happens about a third of the way into the movie, is so cool it's mind-blowing and it's also emotionally intense (It's one of the raddest scenes I've ever seen in a movie and the rest of the movie never quite tops it; so the climax does happen pretty early on but that's OK, there's still plenty of quality movie left even so).

What's best about the movie is not the action though it's the character drama and dialog; it would be a crime if this thing doesn't at least get an Oscar nomination for best screenplay, although I'm sure that's a crime that will most likely be committed (Robert Downey Jr. also unarguably deserves a nomination for his acting performance as well though). The movie is jam packed with some of the most witty clever dialog and interesting character development I've ever seen in a blockbuster like this! The whole thing is a very complicated psychological character exploration, all revolving around the most fascinating superhero character to ever hit the big screen; the eccentric somewhat mad genius that is Tony Stark (once again insanely but amazingly portrayed by Downey Jr.).

The film centers around Stark's battles (not with bad guys and world threats, but) with health issues (he's being poisoned to death by the machine he created, in his chest, that initially saved him), alcoholism, a Government that wants to take control of his technology for what they say is the good of the country and his overall fight to keep his sanity dealing with all this stress. Throw in Sam Rockwell as an impressively portrayed billionaire tech rival and Mickey Rourke as a soft spoken madman bent on revenge against the Stark family, who he blames for stealing his father's ideas, and you've got a complete circus act of oddly interesting characters. There's also Don Cheadle cleverly taking over the role of Stark's best friend James Rhodes (although Terrence Howard in the first film was better), there's a little Samuel L. Jackson being cool like always and there's some more Jon Favreau (more than the first film) that adds some nice comedic touches. There is a very sexy Scarlett Johansson playing another super hero named 'Black Widow' but the female characters are a little underdeveloped compared to the men.

You can tell it was written by a man (actor Justin Theroux who's only other writing credit is co-writing 'TROPIC THUNDER', another Downey Jr. scene stealer); the women dialog is mostly important plot advancement stuff but with the guys 80 percent of it could have been tossed and the plot would have been intact but it's just so natural and entertaining; like real people shooting the breeze! That's the brilliance of the film! Favreau has also come pretty far as a director; he's much more polished now and knows what's most important to the film. The whole movie just has an energy to it that can't quite be described in words. It's an astonishing film going experience if you really like film!

Watch our review show, 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxp3NkMebd8

Best movie of 2010

Author: zzk2001 from United States
8 May 2010

The people giving this a ratting lower then 10 must have not watched the same movie.

Sure at times Stark is not Kicking butt But every movie needs time for background stores etc etc, At no point did i find myself saying "this movie is boring or getting slow" It was 100% the best movie from Start to end.

If you really want to see this movie then see it at the IMAX, Well worth it, And make sure you stay after the credits =) you'll be happy you did.

I give this a 12/10 or even more, it really was the best movie of 2010.

That's more like it!

Author: razvan9310 from Bucharest, Romania
24 May 2010

What makes this second part of the Iron Man live story better is that it sticks to the genuine comic books characters. Tony Stark is way more narcissist and infatuate than in the previous movie, which is, in my opinion, much more accurate and enjoyable, at least for the Iron Man fans. Also, great secondary characters: well-playing Sam Rockwell and gorgeous Scarlett Johansson. Enjoyable action and promising after-credits ending. Heck, AC/DC music, too! I gave this movie 8 out of 10, for being a comic books and IM fan, but any SF, Action and why not Drama consumer would surely enjoy it. Don't trust me, though, go see for yourselves, it's worth it!

A Pure Masterpiece!

Author: sacflyzone from United States
29 April 2010

This is, without a doubt going to be one of my top 10 movies of 2010, quite possibly the number one film. I really can't see anything that could possibly top this film. One of my favorite movie going experiences EVER. I was thrilled with Iron Man back in 2008 but this takes that experience and adds to it. I'm so happy to report that unlike other sequels made only for a cash grab, Iron Man 2 delivers on every front possible. There is no doubt why IM2 will be the box office smash of 2010. With good reason, the film is well worth the price of admission, more so then any movie I've seen in years. Director Jon Favreau has done it again, with great style and flair. The new actors are injected perfectly. Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell and even good old Garry Shandling are exceptional. We all knew Scarlett Johansson could handle the sex appeal but she's especially good as Tony's new assistant/SHIELD operative. Don Cheadle trumps Terrance Howard's Rhodey in every way. I'm also relieved to report that Robert Downey Jr. and Gwenyth Paltrow are even more amazing in their lead roles. They've really grown in to embodying these wonderful characters. What many don't realize but soon will is that this film has tremendous depth. The lead characters all respond to turmoil and are fleshed out beautifully. Judging by the commercials, people may expect wild action but they are going to be pleasantly surprised at the complexity and depth of the film itself. What only adds to the experience is the fact that they managed to deliver fun in to the equation. This masterpiece is one of those rare summer event movies that really does deliver something for everyone.

Another great superhero movie!

Author: mikezexcel from United States
17 May 2010

IRON MAN 2 was as good as it gets for superhero movies. It is a well-built story using characters and situations dating back to the 1960's. (Hence the nice addition of Tony Stark's dad in filmstrip sequences). The rivalry between him and a cold war Russian inventor plays out a generation later between Tony and the inventor's son, a character known as Whiplash (but never actually called that in the movie). I have to say the writing was top-notch and the characters excellently portrayed. For any armchair psychologists out there, the child-rearing theory of nature vs. nurture surfaces in Whiplash' origin. The young boy grew up in a climate of hate, and well, this is what happens. OK, getting too deep, more on the fun stuff...

Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts, the director as "Happy" Hogan, and Rockwell as Justin Hammer all did a great job. Mickey Rourke dialed it down a notch and was superb. You will get some laughs from Favreau, functioning mostly as a chauffeur. Adding in the Black Widow (Scarlett Johanson) was a stroke of genius. Her fight sequence deserved applause! A nice touch: her decorative belt rings (first seen in Spiderman issue #86, 1970) became her weapons. Very cool! There's a reason I didn't mention Don Cheadle as Rhodey. His wooden performance was the weak spot of the whole film. I don't get it because he is such a great actor. But his presence was toxic and it looked like he threw off the other actors (noticeably Downey Jr).

This film is great fun, balancing character development, science (best invention - Hammer's "Ex-wife" missile), thrills, politics and laughs. Highly recommended.