IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 75: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

From Screen Rant..

Author: shido-san from Canada
14 November 2010

For me, 3.5 out of 5 translates into 7 out of 10, and no, I can't agree with that — I'd have to give this beast a 5 out of 5. Actually, a 9 out of 10, losing 1 point because it was only incredibly entertaining and had a plot line that held together. But, getting that 10, is hard.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS

but I want to say this first! The acting was picture-perfect. This reminds me of Richard Donner's post-production remark, in gist: "I guess Marlon Brando was worth the money." Perhaps I shouldn't put quotes around that, but that is what he meant. It pays to have talent and these people so earned. I agree, a half-naked Whiplash didn't seem believable — Favreau and Rourke MADE it believable. The burning underneath relationship between fickle Tony and over-burdened Potts was believable. I really didn't believe Scarlet could pull off Black Widow.. but, boy, oh boy, did she pull off Black Widow, leaving me wanting more. I so wish I could say that about the former Spider-Man series! And, then there is Sam Rockwell's smarmy Stark competition, Justin Hammer.. very well played, sir. Sam is going places. We first saw him as the sneak in Charlie's Angels playing the victim to be revealed as the espionage snake, I saw him help beat a drug-wasted art celebrity to near unconsciousness in Basquiat. He's clearly doing things, be it Moon or otherwise. Very nice interplay within the cast. And Cheadle came through for us as the seamless replacement. Lessening my concern over the Edward Norton / Mark Ruffalo affair. Director Favreau, Happy, Foggy Nelson, +1, when are you going to return to your role in Dare Devil, I miss you (and that cast)!

IT'S COMING

and then there is the tiny role of Nick Fury.. actually, I am disappointed with the one-eyed Jackson in this. Maybe he isn't being given enough room to role but Marvel should have went with the original image.. no sense of Nick's toughness here.. I really hope he changes this in the Nick Fury Movie, if that ever happens.

THE SPOILERS

but blink and that is really a very small part. I loved the timing and the story here. IM2 supersedes 1!! And as I say this I know there are other opinions: the hard-ass action all the way folks won't agree. Fine. Look at the story: Iron Man's dad has a greater vision but his creative partner in the formulation of the ark reactor did too. In a sense, Iron Man is Howard Stark's creation but Whiplash was his partner's. There is the idea of connectivity and karma here: what goes around, comes around.. sins of the fathers kind of thing.. not developed enough to bring that solid 10 out of 10 but close. And Whiplash is brilliant and not dead at the end of the flick either. Captain America's unexplained shield. And, Thor's hammer. All on a time-line preceding The Incredible Hulk.

I also loved the idea that Tony was dying from essentially metal poisoning via the battery implant (the alcoholic gig just wasn't palatable), that SHIELD is aware of it, and that Tony has issues with his past relationship with his father. Nice writing there! Frankly, Batman TDK does not hold up to this cinema. The writing, the acting, the film-making is better here. I really hope this is not Marvel's highest peak but just the start of a sustained plateau. Film-making is getting smarter.

" If I knew I could trust the military, I would gladly give them the weapon "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
2 October 2010

From the incredible, innovative and often futurist mind of comic book artist, Stand Lee, comes this sequel to his hero. The Film is called " Iron Man II. " Director Jon Theroux, follows the basic character Iron Man, and challenges him with several new problems at once. First the alter ego of the Iron Man, Mr. Tony Stark, (Robert Downey) learns, the atomic power pack in his chest is not only saving his life, but is killing him at the same time. Secondly, his best friend, Lt. Col James Rhodes (Don Cheadle) is covering for his friend but is also trying to secure one of the top secret iron man suits for the military and with the help of Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell) may well succeed. Lastly, there is the main frame heavy, Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke, excellent acting), who vows to destroy Stark for betraying his father. Samuel L. Jackson, John Slattery, Garry Shandling and even Stan Lee all make cameo roles. The film is action packed, exciting, and promotes audiences to expect more in the following sequel. If that isn't enough, there is Scarlett Johansson and Gwyneth Paltrow who provide eye-candy with a attitude and a powerful executive allure for Stark. The movie is a worthy addition to the original and if you over-look a few minor flaws, such as none of the military figures, nor the police or the security guards are female, then the movie is well done and audiences look forward to the next. ****

Forget the critics, IRON MAN 2 AWESOMEEE !!!!

Author: rbstarwars124 from North carolina
30 September 2010

Iron Man 2 WAS great, not the better than Dark Knight, but Great. It was just like its last predecessor "IRON MAN I" But IRON MAN II Was a little bit better. The only thing that certain people criticize is the each individual plot, each individual had their own Story elements, But in My opinion it was Better like that. You need a film with great Character development, not just ACTION ACTION ACTION. The Action needs to Blend in with the story, it's like a song same beat, but Just snaps & wakes you up. ROBERT DOWNERY JR. IS the BEST Tony Stark In Marvel universal, The IRON MAN is so BAD-A**, And the race track OMG it's so SEXY. Don Cheadle: WAR MACHINE/RHODES Was used great in my opinion, I sort of Miss Terrance Howard, cause he carried that swag, but other wise WAR MACHINE Suit looks BAD-A** Etc, don't want spoil. MICKEY: WHIPLASH, I Thought was a smooth Criminal. In the Movie they used him as a smooth guy who wants vengeance on the STARK family, Mickey did a well done expression with him, but he was still a bad a** too. THE BLACK WIDOW chick, All I have to say is WOW. Samuel L. JACKSON: As NICK FURY, I Liked how they used him in a way and Black widow to assemble the AVENGERS ( The superhero teams, THOR, CAPTAIN America, HULK & IRON MAN & MORE) Justin HAMMER Was like an opposite side of TONY STARK, his acting was spot on to. IT Just had a great cast. including Pepperpotts. The thing I Wish was a little longer was the end battle between The 3. (Don't want spoil) Make No mistake, IRON MAN 2 Is Excellent 4 outta 4 stars for me. It's just like it's comics. If you read them more, then you'll understand what the movie is coming from, I CAN'T WAIT FOR IRON MAN III & THE AVENGERS. NICE JOB, IRON MAN 2 IS THE WAY TO GO, FOR FAMILY & GEEKY FRIENDS.

Tony Stark discovering his life threatening illness from palladium poisoning, must develop a technology to sustain his artificial heart, the arc reactor power source.

Author: Loveda Davis from United States
19 June 2010

An action packed depiction of the popular Marvel comic book character, Iron Man. In this film the main character, Tony Stark and the infamous Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) attempts to protect his Iron Man technology from the government and villain, Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke). Discovering his life threatening illness from palladium poisoning, Tony Stark must develop a technology to sustain his artificial heart, the arc reactor power source. After many failed attempts to discover a new life sustaining element fails, Tony Starks accepts his doom and appoints Pepper Potts (Gwenyth Paltrow) to assume Stark Industries as CEO. While Tony Stark falls into depression realizing his life will soon come to an end, he begins to behave erratically and irresponsibly. In the meantime, a Russian, Ivan Vanko has developed an arc reactor of his own that he will use in an attempt to take out Iron Man in revenge for his father's death. One of the main action scenes in the film occurs during a car race, when Ivan Vanko appears with is new found technology. Ivan has modified the arc reactor technology to create hand held whips that hold powerful destructive results. Despite Ivan Vanko's attempt to destroy him, Tony Starks used quick thinking and ingenuity to defeat the attempt. Ivan Vanko doesn't take the defeat lightly and joins Stark Industry's rival, Justin Hammer who has been contracted by the government to develop a war fight technology similar to Iron Man. The next action scene takes place at Tony Stark's Birthday Party, which he believes will be his last due to his illness. Intoxicated, Tony arrives in his Iron Man suit and the situation soon gets of control. Tony Stark's long time friend, Lt. Colonel James Rhodes (Don Cheadle) must bring Tony to his senses, leading to a battle between the two. Reaching a truce, the two soon find themselves in a battle with the newest army of drone technology unveiled at the Stark Expo by Justin Hammer. Ivan Vanko had a plan of his own for the introduction of his creation and configured the drone army for his full control to bring down Stark Industries and anyone who stood in his way. Iron Man, Tony Starks, and Lt. Colonel James Rhodes wearing Iron Man prototype, together, take down Ivan Vanko and the army of drones. Lt. Colonel James Rhodes takes down the last drone, while Iron Man save the girl (Pepper Potts) from self destructing drone. Landing on a city building roof top with his rescued Pepper Potts, Tony and Pepper share a kiss when Lt. Colonel James Rhodes says, "Get your own roof".

I hope they make an Iron Man 3

Author: mombot from United States
4 June 2010

First off, I'll admit I'm not a big fan of either the comics or the first film. However, director John Faverau really did make this enjoyable for us "non-geeks" as well as the "geeks". Decent story and interactions with Tony and Pepper were enjoyable. I think the weakest writing was for the Scarlett Johnannsen character, but her acting was good in spite of that. The main attraction for me, even though I'm a fan of Robert Downey Jr., was Mickey Rourke and he did not disappoint. He's the best thing about this film when he's in a scene. Not the anyone else is a slouch, but I'm glad Mickey is back in films. I will add that I can't picture anyone else playing Tony Stark, though. Very impressed with the CGI and other special effects. I don't recall as much humor or banter between the characters in the first, but thought it was appropriate (in IM2)and kept the film's tone lighter. Best summer film so far.

Suitable for most kids over the age of 9 years old.

Action 10/10 Acting 9/10 Writing 7/10 Pacing 8/10 Soundtrack 10/10 Cinematography 9/10

Overall 9/10

A great blockbuster action movie to kick off the summer

Author: sjd615 from United States
30 May 2010

The sequel in the Iron Man series is one that is very welcoming, original for a second movie and a great blast of a movie to kick off the summer right. It was a lot of fun, there WAS a great villain, awesome action scenes with likable characters. The movie was a perfect length at about 2 hours but some scenes I felt could have been left out and even a character as well. As Scarlett Johanson is very attractive her character could have easily been never put in because there is no real importance even though it was refreshing and she brings the sex appeal to the movie goers.

I really enjoyed the movie and it is actually a worth while sequel to an eventually long and spread out series in the future. This second film was an exiting experience that had comic relief in certain parts of the movie. It is not full of action but when there is, it is very cool as the special effects are awesome. Overall, i recommend all movie fans to see this movie. It is a great time, not really any swearing and suitable for the kids of all ages.

I thought the sequel to Iron Man was a blast

Author: Aaron1375
13 May 2010

This film did almost the same amount of business as the first film, but a lot of people consider it an inferior film. I am not one of those people, I actually think it is just as good as the first film. The first film had a bit more polish, but this one had more bang for your buck as the last action sequence in this film has more action than all of the cation scenes in the first film put together. They did recast Rhodes in this film substituting Don Cheadle for Terrance Howard, but quite frankly I thought it was an improvement. Cheadle just has a better presence than Howard and though they recast the role because Howard wanted more money, I think it worked in favor of the studio because Cheadle is a better actor. All the other primary players are accounted for as Robert Downey Jr. is back as Tony Stark/Iron Man and Gwyneth Paltrow is back as Pepper Potts. The two do great as a very eccentric pair and I thought Mickey Rourke as the villain was an improvement over Bridges in the first film. I just am not seeing what others saw that make them say that this film is a worse film than the first one.

The story has a man in Russia with ties to Tony's father blaming the Stark family for all the misery that he and his now dead father have had to endure. He designs his own reactor and a pair of whip like weapons. Meanwhile, Tony is having problems as the U.S. government wants the Iron Man suit and the reactor in his chest is killing him at a rapid rate. So, thinking his time is limited, Tony goes crazy trying to live every moment as if it was his last. This leads to him to giving away his possessions, wearing his Iron Man suit to his birthday party and driving a race car. It is during the race that he first comes face to face with the new villain Ivan Vanko. Vanko is stopped by Iron Man, but his stay in prison is shortened when Justin Hammer, who is desperately trying to design his own Iron Man suit springs him in the hopes Vanko can create him the suit he yearns for. Tony soon gets information on a way to save himself and it all culminates at an all out battle at the newly opened Stark expo.

The movie to me was fun as they brought back most of the cast and as I said, I thought the one they had to recast was an improvement. Also, introduced in this film is Natasha Romanoff who gets to showcase her skills a bit in this film. A lot more than Hawkeye would get to showcase his in his first appearance in the first Thor film. I enjoyed the Iron Man suitcase armor in the first fight with Vanko and I liked how Vanko looked in that fight as well. Something primal as a man with just a couple of whips and slight enhancers on the body trying to challenge the hero.

Once again, not sure why this one is thought of as inferior. Tony was dying, that is why he reverted a bit to the jerky out of control self. He was just trying to enjoy his last days. I heard a lot of complaining that the final fight with Vanko was not long enough, but that was only one portion of the final action scene. Before that you had Iron Man being chased by drones while Romanoff was kicking butt at Hammer industries and then you had Iron Man and War Machine fighting against the horde of drone robots. Like I stated earlier, this final action scene was long and had a lot going on. The humor was still good and there was still heart to it. To me, this film is just as good as the original and the action was actually better.

Uneven first half is made up for with a rousing second half

Author: Richard from U.S.
10 May 2010

I have given Iron Man 2 the same 8 rating I gave the original. Mainly because both are flawed films, but in the end, are rousing, fun summer movies that do not cater to the lowest common mind level, yet don't take themselves too seriously.

Iron Man 2 starts out, much like Spiderman 3, with Tony Stark seemingly basking in the glow of Iron Man's accomplishments (it is set 6 months after the first film). However we learn quickly that Tony is hiding a pain within; the reactor is slowly killing him. A long with that, we learn Tony and his father were not very close, more angst to throw into the pot. Thus we have Tony Stark slowly going out of control and his friends; Pepper, Happy and Rhodie must pull him in.

The first half comes off a bit uneven to me, not sure why, it just never seemed to find a steady groove. It is not the pace, as with the first, there is never any moments of watch checking, it just had an uneven flow of one scene to the next for me, like they were trying to find the groove but not quite getting it. It isn't until an hour into the film that it finally found a rhythm for me. Once it did find that rhythm it brought the film home, with an excellent 3rd act.

Performances across the board are excellent. I have to say I missed Howard as Rhodie. Cheadle is by no means a slouch actor, but he doesn't have the same presence in uniform that Howard had. Johanson brings everything you would expert to the siren role she is cast in. Definitely look forward to seeing more of her in further adventures. Rourke is his usual method self, totally absorbed in the role of Whiplash and eating up every scene he is in.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the film is the continual interweaving of the whole Marvel universe, especially the hints of other characters involved with the Avengers. We are actually introduced to the Avenger concept in the film, which, for the comic geeks out there, will be a glorious thing to witness. Another is the expanded role of Tony's father, which is done through old news and company reel, but helps to give us more of a full view of the Stark patriarch and more importantly, his feelings toward his song Tony, who has felt he never quite measured up to his father's expectations.

My two main complaints with the film are minor ones, but still kept it from being a 9. The first I have already mentioned, the first hour was herky jerky, never seeming to find a steady groove. This was resolved by the last hour and it gave us a much improved upon 3rd act, one of the flaws that the first film had in that the 3rd act was entertaining, but lacked a grand finale feel. My other complaint is the score. I absolutely loved the score for the first film. The mix of guitar and drum interwoven with string and horns made for a score that felt at home with a move titled Iron Man. This go around, no such guitar or drum woven score. The "theme" from the first film isn't even used again, a minor complaint, but one that took me out of the film a little as the first score really worked well and is sorely missed here. Composer Ryeland Allison and original music by Ramin Djawadi gave us an excellent score in the first. This go around they are replaced by John Debney who gives us a lackluster score.

Lastly on the music front, don't believe the hype about the Iron Man 2 soundtrack, which purports to be nothing but AC/DC. There are only 2 songs by AC/DC in the entire film. So not sure why the soundtrack CD, which has 15 songs by AC/DC, is being purported as being the soundtrack, which it is not. Again, a slight critique, but something fans should know going in.

My complaints are minimal, the film delivers on exactly what it should and it brings forth a start, of what looks to be a very fun and exciting summer full of theater entertainment. Oh yeah, one final thing, DO NOT GET UP AND LEAVE BEFORE THE END CREDITS. Wait them out, you will be pleasantly surprised, especially if you are a Marvel/Avengers fan.

Convincing Film

Author: Brandon Booth (boothstr96@yahoo.com) from United States
8 May 2010

The thing that is so hard to do in films is to make your content convincing. This is why so many other films fail. Favreau does not fail. I was worried going into Iron Man 2 that it wasn't going to live up to its hype and its prequel. But it did. The only criticism I have is that it is a bit slow for its type of movie. However, the content within the slower scenes is often filled with witty dialogue, low-key visual spectacles, and some confusing concepts. What I'm trying to get at is that Iron Man's audience is typically smaller children, and for them, I would say this movie is going to be a bit boring, for it lacks in the action department for the most part. But what may be its downfall box-office-wise is also its greatest accomplishment. Much like the Dark Knight, Iron Man 2 takes the superhero world and not-cheesily but convincingly conveys what it would be like in today's world. Not to mention we actually see Tony Stark go through a hero cycle in this one, without taking away his compulsive and loud personality. All in all, Iron MAn's long awaited release was worth it in my eyes. It was a perfect movie to kick off the Summer hype films and it makes me eager to watch what else Favreau has planned for the franchise.

As all sequels go...

Author: udit_sabharwal from India
8 May 2010

It starts with a bang from the great moves by Robert Downey Jr. and the witty one liners. Followed by the crazy iron man tricks. Slightly better than the first movie in terms of action. What it really lacks is a true storyline. While some may say it definitely is better than the first I beg to differ. Robert Downey Jr. simply manages to play a drunk crazy old rich fool who thinks he knows it all. The villain is smart and sometimes more appealing that Mr. Stark. Scarlett Johansson is as gorgeous as ever. She didn't look this good even in Lost in Translation. The action is great, the story decent the movie above average. If you love comics you'll love this one. It got me back to reading comic books and I hope it has the same domino effect on you as well...