IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 70: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

***Out-of-this-world rocked!!!*** (http://themovimaven.posterous.com)

Author: moviemavens from San Diego
9 May 2010

"I.privatize.world peace" sums it all.

The novelty of "Iron Man" hasn't worn off on me. While it would never be the same as witnessing the first scene of Iron Man soaring into space and the joy of the trial and error, Iron Man is still the only one of its kind that is as grounded in future reality as it could be.

Tony Stark is one of the rare exceptions of being a publicly known superhero. And possessing the traits of a superhero, he does not. Robert Downey Jr. doesn't disappoint in the sequel wherein the world knows him not only as the billionaire weapon manufacturer extraordinaire, but more pivotally as The Man in armored suit.

RDJ is the brain, heart and soul of Iron Man. It makes me wonder whether the script was written to be specifically tailored to him. Bold and brash, he's got that smug and swagger that commands the world over. Naturally narcissistic and sarcastic, over-sized just doesn't cover it as far as his ego goes. Never known for subtleties, his flashy style and fast-paced lifestyle suits him just fine - even in his quest to discover the new energy source since the arc-core machine that keeps his heart beating is also slowly poisoning his blood.

RDJ's personality carries every single scene that he's in. Numerous outrageously riotous one-liners bring on continuous giggles and laugh out-louds. Be it frivolous or witty or sarcastic, Stark goes toe-to-toe with the newly minted CEO of Stark Industries aka love-interest Pepper Pots, newly appointed eye-candy secretary with an ulterior motive aka Black Widow, Hammer the competitor with an ambitiously ambiguous agenda, or Nick Fury from yes, the upcoming Avengers team (sidenote: the geeks in us would notice Captain America's shield and Thor's hammer). Everyone seems to have so much fun and it shows. I don't recall ever laughing so hard for so long in a non-comedic movie!

And Whiplash... what an entrance! I totally didn't expect the Monaco mayhem to happen early. With connected past through their fathers, he's a worthy adversary. The Grand Prix thrill of the peril where Whiplash faces off with Stark sans suit is the stealer of the movie (and the manner in which he ends up donning the suit is a real treat), even more so than the last sequence of dash, smash and blast of the battle of the war machines in the end. Although the mass zig-zag laser cut or the armed superobots is the incredible icing on the metal. If there's a "flaw" in all these, Don Cheadle as war machine is too flawless to be believable. Not anyone clad in the suit is "Iron Man."

One might argue that this "Iron Man" lacks heart, but I tend to think that it's just as it's supposed to be. "Iron Man" doesn't take itself seriously; it's a nonstop joyride starring a wisecracked eccentric atypical superhero, and it deftly delivers.

The MovieMaven http://themoviemaven.posterous.com

"It's Good To Be Back"

Author: Jan Kalina from Czech Republic
17 November 2010

And indeed it is. The first Iron Man came like lighting from a clear blue sky, a movie that started Robert Downey Jr's career, movie loved by audience and critics. Now there is a sequel and people are asking if it's worth it. And I say Hell Yeah.

Now when the whole world knows who Iron Man is, Tony is having a hard time staying alive. There are two men coming after him, a Russian Ivan Vanko who has an unfinished business with Tony. He claims that he stole the idea for the arc reactor from his father (which of course isn't entirely true, he is a Russian, you can't believe those.) The second guy after him is actually a competitor in business, Justin Hammer, who, for years is trying to build a suit like Iron Man's but with horrible results. Now with the government wanting Tony's Iron Man suit and Stark Industries closed for business, he has a chance to become the leading weapons industry.

The acting and the cast here are truly remarkable. Robert Downey Jr. is, well he is Robert Downey Jr. He is perfect as usual, you can't miss with him being cast in your movie. Gwyneth Paltrow does a great job being the love interest. Mickey Rourke doesn't have much time on screen but when he is you can see he enjoys the role and still tries to establish the character even with such limited screen time. Sam Rockwell is the comical villain and he is great at it. Samuel L. Jackson is a synonym of the word cool and he proves it once again as Nick Fury. He briefly appears but when he does he's got one of the best lines in the movie such as "Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to exit the donut." or " I am very real. I'm the realest person you're ever gonna meet". The weakest link in the chain is Don Cheadle. He horribly doesn't fit as James Rhodes. He is uninteresting, and he acts too serious for this role. This is supposed to be entertaining, fun movie. And when he has no idea what to do, he copies Terrence Howard's take on this character. His character changed from the best friend ever to the worst friend. He became arrogant too. He actually thinks he is better than Iron Man!! But that of course isn't true. As always there is a great little cameo by Stan Lee. I can't forget all the rush on the internet Olivia Munn being a superhero and then she had just a tiny cameo as a news reporter. I was chuckling in the theater and no one had idea why.

Casting Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow was the smartest idea anyone ever had. She is the sexiest woman on Earth and seeing her in a tight leather suit is worth all the money on Earth. Her only fight scene in the hallway with like a dozen guards is amazing. It is one of the best choreographed fights of this year. It is just purely awesome, sexy, full of adrenaline and even funny.

I just feel like all those composers started to try again after last year's (almost) fiasco. OK, there were few exceptions, the Star Trek soundtrack, Up soundtrack and the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack. In this year there is more than just three great soundtracks and Iron Man 2 is one of them. The score is darker and more bad-ass. Three tracks that really stand out: the first track (Ivan's Metamorphosis), Monaco Drive with this heavy James Bond feel and the track titled Black Widow Kicks Ass. Soundtrack as such features songs from AC/DC, Queen and even Daft Punk.

There are more action scenes in this one than in the first movie. The action scenes are much better, they are fast paced, bad ass, simply better. There is even one car chase scene.

In summary, if you liked the first then I guarantee you that you will enjoy this one too, it's a must-see for any fan of Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Iron Man or a comic-books. (There are tons of comic-book references including the Avengers, Hulk and it's just great fun looking for them.) This is a great, entertaining summer movie so go and watch it.

Definitely wait until the end of the credits there is a great extra scene and you find out what agent Coulson was doing in New Mexico.

it's a challenge to build the second piece of the puzzle, but by Jove, director Jon Favreau and his cast and crew have done it with flying colors

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
13 May 2010

It was quite a challenge to top such an exhilarating, original (at least by today's storytelling standards) summer extravaganza like 2008's big hit "Iron Man." That film was well done on a technical level, but the reason why it is so good and why it is twice the movie that "Transformers" (2007) was because it used its special effects as a service to its story instead of simply relying on them to save the day. So it's a real challenge to not only build on that, but improve upon that. But by Jove, director Jon Favreau and his cast and crew have done that with flying colors with "Iron Man 2" which to my mind is not only better than the original, but the best film that I've seen so far this year.

The movie picks up where the first one left with Robert Downey Jr.'s alcoholic, eccentric character of Tony Stark revealing his alter-ego identity as Iron Man. While he combats a power-greedy senator's strive to strip him of his technological triumph and to maintain a somewhat stable employer-employee (and sometimes romantic) relationship to his assistant Pepper Potts, again played with grace and conviction by Gwyneth Paltrow, a new villain with his own technological tools and dazzling wit (Mickey Rourke) arrives, seeking revenge not only on Stark as a person, but his legacy.

It seems to be a trend these days for the second installment in superhero movie franchises to be better than the first. That was the case with Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man" saga, with Christopher Nolan's marvelous reinvention of the Batman character, and now with Jon Favreau's Iron Man pictures. In my original review, I stated that I really enjoyed the first "Iron Man" picture but felt that its climax was a little lacking and that there were some weak zones in its plot. However, all of that is built up and enhanced with the sequel and if there is one word I can use to describe it, it is: exhilarating. Even as it builds up new story lines with new characters, some of which may be ostensibly unnecessary, it never bogs down.

Like "Spider-Man 2", "Iron Man 2" brings up the plot element of the main character's alter-ego taking over his life to the point where his normal life starts to fall apart, causing him to shun his responsibilities and obligations. Although this is a sort of familiar story, the filmmakers do a great job at keeping things on the move. What's also great, and carrying down from the first picture is how it's not all grim and tough, but has effective moments of comedy such as a scene where Scarlett Johanssen reveals to a cocky boxing manager that she knows a little more about the sport than she led him to believe. And of course the highlights are conversations between Robert Downey, Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow and these melodramatic moments are blended with the more traditional tones seamlessly so that it does not feel like the movie is phasing in and out of one personality, heck, like its central character.

You want special effects? You got 'em. Just like in the first picture, "Iron Man 2" is packed with lots of explosives, bursts of action, ear-jarring sound effects, and marvelous camera tricks and cinematography to lock the audience's attention in place. But once again, these special effects, unlike the effects in "Transformers" and its sequel, are used as a service to the story and that is why they do not overstay their welcome. The movie saves its drawn-out climax to the end and this climax is twice as exciting as the somewhat shallow final battle of the first movie.

Robert Downey Jr. is still most effective as the troubled character of Tony Stark. He's charming, witty, humorous, and believable not as a caricature, but as a human being. Gwyneth Paltrow is equally effective as Pepper Potts; Scarlett Johansson is both seductive and convincing as the new assistant who has her own way of backing herself up; Sam Rockwell does a fantastic job playing the techno-dweeb big on money but short on brawn; Mickey Rourke is sinister and cold-blooded as the villain; and Don Cheadle does a surprisingly good job taking over for Terence Howard as Tony Stark's military pal.

I can't think of one person I know whom I won't recommend seeing "Iron Man 2." From start to finish, this is one exhilarating piece of film-making. It excels, I say, over its already exhilarating predecessor and many of its companion superhero sagas, and proves itself to be one truly enjoyable time at the movies.

Only the churlish would complain!

Author: GJ in Singapore from London
3 May 2010

I saw this at a free preview in Singapore, so reviewing it seems like the least I can do. More importantly, not only was it great value for a free viewing, but I plan to pay to see it again later this week.

Sequels almost always suck, so I was expecting to be disappointed, especially as I loved the first movie (and I'm not a comic book movie fan, generally).

Robert Downey Jr is just great, again! Iron Man, and now IronMan 2, is warm, and funny, and entertaining... because Downey is.

Supporting characters from last time (Paltrow, Cheadle, Favreau) were fine, and provided continuity. Cheadle had a bit more this time, so we got the bromance thang going.

This time Stark's joined by a bunch of new characters. Sam Rockwell was thoroughly entertaining as his arch-rival Justin Hammer, very funny. Scarlett Johansson got to wear some skin-tight outfit as an ass-kicking Russian spy, nice. Samuel L. Jackson, shows up briefly (but very coolly) as a one-eyed spy boss. And the resurrected Mickey Rourke shows off his Russian accent as the vengeful genius with a grudge, and a neat turn in remote controlled drone (very topical) Iron Men.

And let's not forget the Ironettes! Even the AC/DC soundtrack was OK (and I loathe AC/DC, they're so last century).

If you liked Iron Man, you'll like Iron Man 2. What more do you want, buddy?

It just has an energy to it that can't quite be described in words!

Author: Hellmant from United States
14 September 2010

'IRON MAN 2': Five Stars (Out of Five)

Like many second films in popular fantasy / action franchises (THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK', 'THE DARK KNIGHT', 'SPIDER-MAN 2', 'ALIENS', 'TERMINATOR 2', 'X-MEN 2', etc.)'IRON MAN 2' takes what worked about the first film and totally ups the ante and creatively expands on the characters and drama of the first film to probably it's emotional and entertaining peak! It in many ways blows the first film out of the water. Although the action is a lot less frequent than you might expect, from a big superhero blockbuster extravaganza like this, when it does happen it's breathtaking; the race-car fight scene, which happens about a third of the way into the movie, is so cool it's mind-blowing and it's also emotionally intense (It's one of the raddest scenes I've ever seen in a movie and the rest of the movie never quite tops it; so the climax does happen pretty early on but that's OK, there's still plenty of quality movie left even so).

What's best about the movie is not the action though it's the character drama and dialog; it would be a crime if this thing doesn't at least get an Oscar nomination for best screenplay, although I'm sure that's a crime that will most likely be committed (Robert Downey Jr. also unarguably deserves a nomination for his acting performance as well though). The movie is jam packed with some of the most witty clever dialog and interesting character development I've ever seen in a blockbuster like this! The whole thing is a very complicated psychological character exploration, all revolving around the most fascinating superhero character to ever hit the big screen; the eccentric somewhat mad genius that is Tony Stark (once again insanely but amazingly portrayed by Downey Jr.).

The film centers around Stark's battles (not with bad guys and world threats, but) with health issues (he's being poisoned to death by the machine he created, in his chest, that initially saved him), alcoholism, a Government that wants to take control of his technology for what they say is the good of the country and his overall fight to keep his sanity dealing with all this stress. Throw in Sam Rockwell as an impressively portrayed billionaire tech rival and Mickey Rourke as a soft spoken madman bent on revenge against the Stark family, who he blames for stealing his father's ideas, and you've got a complete circus act of oddly interesting characters. There's also Don Cheadle cleverly taking over the role of Stark's best friend James Rhodes (although Terrence Howard in the first film was better), there's a little Samuel L. Jackson being cool like always and there's some more Jon Favreau (more than the first film) that adds some nice comedic touches. There is a very sexy Scarlett Johansson playing another super hero named 'Black Widow' but the female characters are a little underdeveloped compared to the men.

You can tell it was written by a man (actor Justin Theroux who's only other writing credit is co-writing 'TROPIC THUNDER', another Downey Jr. scene stealer); the women dialog is mostly important plot advancement stuff but with the guys 80 percent of it could have been tossed and the plot would have been intact but it's just so natural and entertaining; like real people shooting the breeze! That's the brilliance of the film! Favreau has also come pretty far as a director; he's much more polished now and knows what's most important to the film. The whole movie just has an energy to it that can't quite be described in words. It's an astonishing film going experience if you really like film!

Watch our review show, 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxp3NkMebd8

Best movie of 2010

Author: zzk2001 from United States
8 May 2010

The people giving this a ratting lower then 10 must have not watched the same movie.

Sure at times Stark is not Kicking butt But every movie needs time for background stores etc etc, At no point did i find myself saying "this movie is boring or getting slow" It was 100% the best movie from Start to end.

If you really want to see this movie then see it at the IMAX, Well worth it, And make sure you stay after the credits =) you'll be happy you did.

I give this a 12/10 or even more, it really was the best movie of 2010.

Another great superhero movie!

Author: mikezexcel from United States
17 May 2010

IRON MAN 2 was as good as it gets for superhero movies. It is a well-built story using characters and situations dating back to the 1960's. (Hence the nice addition of Tony Stark's dad in filmstrip sequences). The rivalry between him and a cold war Russian inventor plays out a generation later between Tony and the inventor's son, a character known as Whiplash (but never actually called that in the movie). I have to say the writing was top-notch and the characters excellently portrayed. For any armchair psychologists out there, the child-rearing theory of nature vs. nurture surfaces in Whiplash' origin. The young boy grew up in a climate of hate, and well, this is what happens. OK, getting too deep, more on the fun stuff...

Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts, the director as "Happy" Hogan, and Rockwell as Justin Hammer all did a great job. Mickey Rourke dialed it down a notch and was superb. You will get some laughs from Favreau, functioning mostly as a chauffeur. Adding in the Black Widow (Scarlett Johanson) was a stroke of genius. Her fight sequence deserved applause! A nice touch: her decorative belt rings (first seen in Spiderman issue #86, 1970) became her weapons. Very cool! There's a reason I didn't mention Don Cheadle as Rhodey. His wooden performance was the weak spot of the whole film. I don't get it because he is such a great actor. But his presence was toxic and it looked like he threw off the other actors (noticeably Downey Jr).

This film is great fun, balancing character development, science (best invention - Hammer's "Ex-wife" missile), thrills, politics and laughs. Highly recommended.

Time to hang up your suit - IRON MAN

Author: DJAkin (Donjakin1988@gmail.com) from AZ
16 May 2010

This movie was everything that Iron Man 1 was not. Yes, it was terrible, predictable and irritating. I was so mad how they essentially didn't even show any super hero stuff for 90% of the movie. The children in the theater kept asking their mother's: "Mommy, where is Iron Man? I thought this was Iron Man mommy?". The mothers had to calm their children. It was so sad. What was even more irritating was how conceited Tony Stark was. I was kind of amused by how the senator kept harassing him. For 55% of the movie - Tony Stark was pompous and an ass. He was not even remotely amusing. Then of course there is the villain who was played by an obviously uninspired Mickey Roark hoping to cash in on the success of his hit The Wrestler. He basically had a horrible Russian accent and had LIGHT SABER BULL WHIPS as a weapon. This movie was terrible. I want to sue the makers of this movie for the two hours I wasted by watching it. How am I able to get this time back? It was painful to watch this.

Fun but also Smart! It has the right amount of humor, angst and drama

Author: peabody from United States
28 April 2010

Iron Man 2 sure delivers the fun but it's such intelligent fun. Honestly, its Stan Lee meets Shakespeare. The Hammer/Stark rivalry is more like Hamlet and Claudius then Superman to Lex Luthor. Iron Man is simply more complex as a character then anything else you'll see in a summer film but it loses none of the spark or none of the pure popcorn fun. How many other films can you say that about? Stark's vulnerability is very much on display here as his personal life crumbles through various unique conflicts. He has to struggle with the government for control of his armor and deal with his growing celebrity. At the same time his personal life takes a turn as a love triangle emerges. He (like soon all of America) becomes attracted to his new aide (the lovely Scarlett Johansson), causing tension with his former assistant but now new Stark Industries CEO Pepper Potts (the also lovely Gwyneth Paltrow). They manage to pull all this off remarkably well and still leave character time for Rhodey and the villains. It's a believable sci-fi story featuring an intellect story that's wild but has the right amount of humor, angst and drama. Like I remember about Iron Man 1, I can't think of a weak moment in the film. The visual effects are incredible. They did the memory of their boss, the great Stan Winston, proud. They set the bar high again. Now the only question is whether they have anything left in the tank for Iron Man 3? I'm betting that they do.

An exhilarating and funny superhero sequel.

Author: G K from Mars
11 June 2010

Iron Man 2 is a fine sequel. Almost the whole cast returns intact, and director Jon Favreau has more screen time in his role as Happy Hogan. Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is riding high after the events of Iron Man (2008). He has become famous worldwide, and he re-institutes the Stark Expo. But problems begin to pile up. Another wealthy industrialist wants his Iron Man technology. Then a new villain appears. Stark's relationship with his assistant Virginia Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) is also expanded upon. There's a lot going on in the film, but its rather weak script hurts it for sure. Mickey Rourke as the villain Ivan Vanko stands out. He's more menacing than Obadiah Stane was in the first film. Vanko's first encounter with Stark leads to a thrilling fight scene. Unfortunately Rourke's character isn't fully developed. This is a problem with other characters in the film as well. Vanko is a memorable villain but if Rourke was given more screen time and his character had more of a backstory I'm sure he could have been even more memorable. Still, Rourke tried to make his character as complex as he could.

The film's special effects are excellent. Some of the time, however, they're used on shootouts and explosions that don't produce much excitement. There's a lot more humour this time around. I was smiling or laughing during most of the film. Scarlett Johansson as the beautiful Natasha Romanoff gets to show off some impressive martial arts moves. It's rather funny afterwards because no one else can fight like her. Overall, the film is not as good as Iron Man. Still, it's an entertaining summer blockbuster and the performances are solid. I wasn't expecting much from the film but was pleasantly surprised. I recommend Iron Man 2.