IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 73: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

So much fun!

Author: sleepyhead_zzz from United States
7 May 2010

So I'm the type of person who rates movies based on their enjoyability and how much I personally enjoyed them. Like, I would give Sherlock Holmes a 9.5/10 while I'd give Avatar a 8/10 just due to expectations and enjoyability.

Anyway, Iron Man 2 was A LOT OF FUN. I loved it. I went to the midnight premiere and was laughing during the entire movie. Of course, I had read the reviews anticipating a kick-butt beginning and ending with a slow middle, but that's not how the movie was for me. IM2 was one fun ride that rarely let up on its humor. Compared to IM, I don't know. I think it's just as good--if not better (WHAT?! Yes, I don't agree with the majority of IMDBers)--but it's different so I don't know how to compare.

The cast did a spectacular job. RDJ was top-notch, him and Gwyneth had delightful chemistry, Rourke was crazy intimidating, Rockwell was good over-the-top funny, Scarlett was kick-butt, and special shout-out to Favreau who was funny. Cheadle was fine...I wasn't particularly amazed by his performance, but then again, I wasn't by Howard's either.

One slight blip in the movie was that there were a lot of characters added so the movie had a bunch of plot lines. I didn't notice while watching the movie, but after watching it, I wish they had just stuck to one or two characters and elaborated on their story lines.

Anyway, IM2 was a great movie. I loved it.

No Rust on this "Iron"

Author: Scott Baldwin (Meven_Stoffat) from Canada
5 May 2010

I will admit that I was a tad worried about Iron Man 2, because, well let's face it, the first movie was so fantastic that it was almost untouchable. I mean, with the first movie, you had the extraordinary talents of Downey, Howard, Paltrow, Bridges and plenty more anchoring what was an incredible must-see summer slam of a movie. However, seeing the trailers for the second movie made me think "Uh oh, Spider Man 3 all over again." Sequels, especially superhero ones, seem to think that since they bring tons of random crap and characters into the frame, that they are always better, and as excited as I was for this movie, I felt it was going to be another one of those movies. So upon going into the theater, I kept those worries in mind.

Well, I can now officially say that those worries didn't prevent me from loving the movie.

Remember when Michael Bay tried to accomplish something epic with Transformers 2 with all these new characters and stuff? Well, Jon Faverau has managed to accomplish what Michael Bay never did- make a near-perfect sequel that manages to be just as great as the first. Now like the first, there's not a ton of action, but those scenes where action is absent, Faverau manages to make the most out of them. Complete with great action, laughs and characters, Iron Man 2 is the first big summer movie, and a must see on the big screen for sure, especially if you see it in digital! Iron Man 2 picks up half a year from when the first movie left off. The Stark Expo has just begun in Flushing, New York, and is to last all year. Tony, in a televised hearing, privatizes world peace. Life seems to be great, except for the fact that the reactor keeping him alive is killing him. This doesn't stop him from being Iron Man though- he continues to go on as Iron Man for the moment. He even considers replacing Pepper Potts with Natalie Rushman, appointing Potts a CEO to Stark Industries. However, in Russia, Ivan Vanko, the son of physicist Anton Vanko, having just lost his father and jealous of Stark's success, creates his own arc reactor, and becomes Whiplash, a badass villain with two electrified whips that can split anything in half with enough force.

His first appearance is at a race in Monaco, and after a brief (and failed) attempt to kill Tony, he meets up with Justin Hammer, Stark's rival, and they both collaborate to build a new technology that will hopefully overthrow Tony. However, with a stint at Tony's house appointing James Rhodes as War Machine, and several other plots, Tony Stark, suffering through personal problems, doesn't know if he really can be Iron Man and resolve all this.

Now the plot may not sound that great, but when you see it in the movie, you will be impressed with how complex it is. To not spoil too much, I left some stuff out, because the movie is that great. Aside from the plot, everything else is great. The acting here is fantastic! Robert Downey Jr. has his usual charm here, playing the lovable dick-head that is Tony Stark. Replacing Terrence Howard is Don Cheadle, and he does it well! I can't believe I am saying this but I actually preferred him to Howard. Howard was great but wooden in places, whereas Cheadle was great the whole way. And Scarlett Johannson… whoa. When is she NEVER eye candy? As for her performance- this movie proves she is not just another pretty face. Her fight scene is just… mind blowingly amazing! Mickey Rourke gives a a fantastic performance as well, and manages to shine as the villain, Of course, halfway through, the movie takes a break from the action and focuses on some character development- I was worried about it at first hearing but as I was watching the movie, I realized that sometimes, in superhero movies, character development does more than whiz-bang action. Don't worry guys, the scenes where action is absent are just as great as the scenes with action. But the action scenes are INCREDIBLE!!!! People are exaggerating the lack of action- the last 20 minutes alone has more action than the first, and is certainly more thrilling than the first too. The climax certainly is a thrill, and I gotta say I had a blast seeing it on the big screen.

So in short, Iron Man 2 is a success. I had tons of fun seeing it on the big screen. A great sequel and a great standalone movie, Iron Man 2 is a sequel that truly kicks ass. Whatever worries you may have, I recommend you cast them aside, because you're in for a 2 hour fun ride. So if you wanna see a sequel that truly kicks ass, this movie is it!

Full of asskickery and unadulterated awesomeness

Author: euthymic89 from Singapore
3 May 2010

I have to admit that the first movie was better but let's not compare. In all fairness, though the ratio of dialogue to action is 3:1 (more or less), I was still caught in awe the whole time. I am deeply amazed by the power of technology that was being depicted in the movie and how Tony Stark made use of such immensely spectacular hi-tech things combined with his wit and intelligence. It was literally all in the palm of his hands.

The storyline is great. It has shown another side of the Stark Industries' success and legacy which gives rise to the vendetta perpetrated by the infuriated and angst-y villain which was played really effectively by Mickey Rourke.

Robert Downey Jr again affirms his compelling appeal, charm and skill on-screen. He's a really cool superhero with a mix of humor, narcissism (in a cute way), and fiercely gallant persona, not to mention HOT as hell! Scarlett Johansson is amazingly badass!! Gwyneth Paltrow is still beautiful.

The movie maintained its humor which could irreproachably burst the cinema into laughter. I was expecting more funny scenes though. I guess I was expecting too much. But the serious side of storyline didn't fail me.

The effects were really cool and great. This movie makes Transformers look bad. The robots here are BADDER! really badass. Pay attention to the dialogues, they are really penetrating.

Watch this movie. It would live you wanting more. Truly mindblowing and kickass! P.S Stay until after the credits.

Entertaining, complex and engaging!

Author: Anuradha108 from United Kingdom
4 May 2010

I've watched IM2 twice so far, and am eagerly looking forward to the 3rd this Wed with a special friend. I'm also planning a possible trip to London to see it in Imax in the near future when I save enough money.

I'm sharing some radom thoughts about IM2:

What holds the story is a more in depth exploration of Tony and his relationship with his father, Pepper Potts and Rhodey. The spirit of the movie is fun and the subject matter is interestingly human and the actions are a blast. Robert Downey Jr is again breath-taking as Tony Stark. The romance between Tony and Pepper is a breath of fresh air and very endearing.

The visual effect is spectacular, especially when Tony is making a breakthrough in his lab – it's like he's one with the whole universe!

I enjoy Black Widow single-handedly handling all the security guards at Hammer industry with crisp karate moves mixed with high tech devices. However, I find it hard to relate to her emotionally as she's often expressionless and humourless. She's like a highly intelligent and sexy robot, or alien – effective, but lack of more fleshed-out human dimensions.

I like Don Cheadle in the War Machine suit, but not when he's out of it. I feel he lacked the upright posture as a Lt. Col. His body language does not fully embody the spirit of James Rhodes.

In my first viewing, I think Tony's out of his mind, down right miserable and ridiculous, and frankly I missed his boyish good look, and resented his sickly haggard look. But the movie took me to another place, and suddenly I can relate to what it's like for a genius billionaire to face premature mortality and have no one to share his fear and regret, not even his love interest or best friend. I can relate to the desperate sense of isolation, powerlessness in reaching out for help, helplessness in simply getting some understanding from the one he cares most, and the need to escape into a donut.

I like the more in depth exploration of Tony's relationship with his father, Howard Stark through the contrast of his nemesis, Ivan and his father Anton. Even though Tony's born with the privilege, wealth, and talent, he grew up feeling unloved by a cold, distant father and then orphaned at a young age. Ivan, on the other hand, grew up in poverty, lack of recognition and imprisonment, but shared a deep love with his father.

I think Ivan Vanko is a well-developed character, and Micky Rourke very much nailed it. He has a strong and intimidating screen presence yet can still connect with the audience through deep emotions and humour.

I love it when Tony finally discovers his father's love for him in an old tape in which his father told him that Tony was his greatest creation. For me, that's the equivalent to the "Proof that Tony Stark has a heart" Pepper gives Tony in IM.

It's interesting that Robert further explored the father issue in his next movie, Due Date.

Superb In Every Way!

Author: SloberDon from USA AOK
4 June 2010

WOW! The director has crafted a super sequel that both dazzles the eyes and touches the heart. Much like Spider-Man 2, the truly remarkable special-effects of the new movie make it virtually impossible not to suspend one's disbelief. The effects actually beat Spider-Man 2. A lesser filmmaker would have been content to let the effects be the whole show, but Favreau gives us a movie populated by genuine characters and situations that make the film just as compelling in its quieter moments as it is during the big action scenes. IM2 combines the thrills of a big summer romp with the craftsmanship of a prestige studio picture. It's not simple popcorn fun although it certainly works in that capacity but it's as complex as its conflicted protagonist. It's a slickly engineered special-effects extravaganza with a saucy sense of humor that's well-acted and masterful at every turn. That's the kind of movie that I love to see… one that isn't just dark to be dark or isn't just self-indulgent or overly serious for the sake of having some sort of false sense of gravitas. These Iron Man films are sweeping and even epic but, at the same time, they're tremendous popcorn entertainment. How many films can you say that about? Truly Superb.

One of the most enjoyable films I've ever seen

Author: socrates99 from Champaign, IL
21 May 2010

You need very little persuasion to fall into this movie's utterly entertaining world. I really can't imagine anyone not liking it. Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Sam Rockwell in particular all put in near perfect, memorable performances. But it's the very well written story that carried the day, for me. It's not real deep but it's not mere window dressing either. What would Ironman do if requested to give his technology to the military? And how would he handle toe to toe competition? And there's more, but it's better you see it rather than hear about it.

John Favreau is clearly gaining in skill and ambition as director while still being willing to feed our male fantasies. Scarlett is a great example as the lithesome Natasha Romanoff. No graphic novel could ever match her role for visual female sumptuousness and sheer beauty. You'll wish there was more of her though wisely Favreau leaves you slightly frustrated.

All in all a fun movie way beyond my expectations. But I'm glad I'm not Favreau. What could he do to top these two movies?

What a summer blockbuster sequel should be!

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
9 May 2010

Big expectations from the original are hard to live up to, which just seems unfair to this reasonably enjoyable and exciting sequel. Going over that age-old Hollywood mantra that "bigger is better", this sequel throws in bigger set-pieces, better special effects and a superb cast. But unlike most sequels to successful hits, IRON MAN 2 is not only big in terms of special effects and action set-pieces, it also has stronger characters (perhaps the only real problem with that is that they're too many of them) and an even stronger plot.

As with the other people who enjoyed the first IRON MAN movie, my hopes were high for the sequel. As in other superb comic-book movie sequels like SPIDER-MAN 2 and THE DARK KNIGHT, the storyline frees itself from the exposition settled in the first movie and are now able to take the story into a different direction for the sequel. Following the end of the first movie, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) has already admitted his identity as Iron Man and, as he puts it, "successfully privatized world peace". Arrogant as he is, he gets the job done, but saving the world is only half the battle. Stark also has a demanding Senator Stern (Gary Shandling) on his back who wants his Iron Man technology surrendered to the military, a similarly egotistic rival (Sam Rockwell) who wants Stark and his crowning achievement be reduced to yesterday's news, and of course there's vengeful Russian physicist Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke) bent on killing Stark to avenge his father. Only to make matters worse, the arc reactor that's keeping Stark alive is slowly poisoning his blood, and would kill him if he doesn't find a substitute to the reactor's Palladium content.

There are enough characters here that could have made this as an early reunion for The Avengers, with a powerhouse of a cast to boot. In addition to the return of Downey's egotistic Stark and Gwyneth Paltrow's delightful portrayal as long-suffering assistant-turned-CEO Pepper Potts, there's also Scarlett Johansson's Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow (Scarlett Johnasson in a black leather suit and sporting red hair! 'Nuff said), Samuel L. Jackson's return as Nick Fury (after a very brief cameo in the first), Don Cheadle replacing Terence Howard as Lt. Col. "Rhodey" Rhodes (who finally gets his "next time" opportunity as he dons the suit as the battle-ready War Machine), and even Favreau's Happy Hogan (nothing more than an extended cameo in the first film) gets more screen time. On the bag guy side is Rourke's disgruntled Vanko, Rockwell playing another character we would love to hate, and Shandling's hilarious portrayal of a greedy politician. Too many of these characters could have repeated the misstep that SPIDER-MAN 3 had done; too many characters with too many subplots that ruin the flow of the story. But director Jon Favreau and writer Justin Theroux avoid this pitfall by just giving our characters enough screen time that they deserve and only throwing in subplots that actually move the story along.

IRON MAN 2 is what a summer blockbuster sequel should be; it throws in everything we expect from its superb predecessor and giving is a little more without being something akin to an overstuffed, overcooked turkey. The action sequences are great in the first movie, and they're even bigger here. It even has a better, more thrilling climax than the one in he first, and more interesting and even outrageous villains than in the original. As usual, Downey Jr. is still one of the chief delights with his portrayal of a different kind of comic-book hero. Throw in a cast that looks absolutely perfect and every thrilling action set-piece in place and you have a sequel that's actually worth the wait.

Rating: **** out of 5.

Iron Man 2 is the best sequel in years since star wars

Author: erikabbott93 from United States
8 May 2010

Iron Man 2 is great, it has great action scenes, great actors and actresses for the carectors, and even very funny laughs. Robert Downy Jr. is Iron Man know one can pull off Iron Man like him. Mikey Rourke is a great villin he puts the whip in whiplash. I was a little disappointed that terrince howerd wasn't gonna be war machine but Don Cheadle pulled it off wonderfuly, he was the best choice for the role sine it wasn't howerd. Gwyneth Paltrow played a great role as pepper. Scarlett Johansson was hot, slick, and sexy, she was great for the guys to watch, and did a great role of black widow. Samule L. Jackson wasn't in Iron Man that much but he did to good as a nick fury character and think he can pull it off in the new nick fury movie thats supposed to be coming out in 2011. sam rockwell was a great actor in this movie he can really make you hate him, he can play a real ass whole. And the return of leslie bibb the sexy, hot, and slutty reporter from the first Iron man, shes only in it for about 10 to 20 min. but she was hot in that amount of time. This wa a great fun filled action triller great for the fans, go watch it and make sure to stay after the credits.

Robert Downey Jr., you did it again!!

Author: kotrynamacca from United States
16 May 2010

I gotta say, Robert Downey Jr. is the best actor I've ever seen! He beats out greats like Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt. He never ceases to impress and woo. Every movie he is in, he always steals the spotlight. Robert is perfect in any role he plays. He has got to be the most charismatic guy on the planet. AND the best looking! Yes, his handsomeness is on great display in this amazing film!

Now, getting to Iron Man 2, it triples the magic of the first one! The script (and some hilarious obvious ad-libs by Robert Downey Jr.), the plot, the acting, the casting, the chemistry amongst the actors, the directing, the effects, the sets, the messages- PERFECT. PLUPERFECT.

The comedy, the drama, the action, the themes, the FUN! My oh my, this movie was something a sequel never is- better than the first! First off, I LOVED the first Iron Man- absolutely adored the film. I had high expectations for Iron Man 2, but I thought it would be impossible to make the sequel any better than the fantastic start to a franchise was. But, I was wrong! Iron Man 2 is 10 times better than the first, if that's even possible! Honestly, I think everyone in the world should see this movie. I'm a big movie buff, and I say this only about the films I truly love. The plot was more complex this time with more subplots to add to the fantastic story. This is nothing like your regular superhero movie. This isn't Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. This is as realistic as it gets. This is something that could truly happen in real life, especially nowadays. It very much applies to modern times and modern problems. This is a very realistic man dealing with very realistic problems. By the way, Tony Stark wasn't that narcissistic at all, even though many people seem to say he was. RDJ portrayed him as truly likable with real emotion, charm, and on-the-dot comic timing. A real-world hero. Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark will go down in history as one of the big screen's most memorable characters.

This movie kept the audience laughing throughout with the superb witty dialogue and many intentionally hilarious scenes laced with intelligent humor. The movie had some truly emotional and serious scenes, courtesy of the great talent of Robert Downey Jr. It is art. It is pure charm on display for all to see. It is a gift. It is true talent and ability to sway the emotions of the viewers. Robert is my hero- in more ways than one. As a woman, I am so happy a man so ideal actually exists! Is he peerless? Quite possibly!

The serious undertones of this action-packed intelligent comedy give the movie its edge. The fact that this movie very much applies to the real world is very appealing.

The Avengers is next, but that will contain the unrealistic superheroes like Thor and Hulk, which belong with Spiderman and Superman...that won't be the same...the Iron Man franchise is the real superhero franchise- not a kids' make-believe one. Iron Man 1 and 2 have such great charm and that real-world quality that are not present in the Batman franchises, the Spiderman franchise, the Superman franchise, the Hulk movies, and all the other superhero films. Iron Man 2 is unmatched in its strength as true coolness and top-notch entertainment. It is so smartly written and performed that it makes me truly proud of Hollywood. Thanks to RDJ and Jon Favreau!

I am more than pleased with Iron Man 2. I am beyond blown away. It's worth every penny to go and see it! I'm going to see it for a third time next weekend!

This film is eye-candy, brain-candy, and heart-candy!

***Out-of-this-world rocked!!!*** (http://themovimaven.posterous.com)

Author: moviemavens from San Diego
9 May 2010

"I.privatize.world peace" sums it all.

The novelty of "Iron Man" hasn't worn off on me. While it would never be the same as witnessing the first scene of Iron Man soaring into space and the joy of the trial and error, Iron Man is still the only one of its kind that is as grounded in future reality as it could be.

Tony Stark is one of the rare exceptions of being a publicly known superhero. And possessing the traits of a superhero, he does not. Robert Downey Jr. doesn't disappoint in the sequel wherein the world knows him not only as the billionaire weapon manufacturer extraordinaire, but more pivotally as The Man in armored suit.

RDJ is the brain, heart and soul of Iron Man. It makes me wonder whether the script was written to be specifically tailored to him. Bold and brash, he's got that smug and swagger that commands the world over. Naturally narcissistic and sarcastic, over-sized just doesn't cover it as far as his ego goes. Never known for subtleties, his flashy style and fast-paced lifestyle suits him just fine - even in his quest to discover the new energy source since the arc-core machine that keeps his heart beating is also slowly poisoning his blood.

RDJ's personality carries every single scene that he's in. Numerous outrageously riotous one-liners bring on continuous giggles and laugh out-louds. Be it frivolous or witty or sarcastic, Stark goes toe-to-toe with the newly minted CEO of Stark Industries aka love-interest Pepper Pots, newly appointed eye-candy secretary with an ulterior motive aka Black Widow, Hammer the competitor with an ambitiously ambiguous agenda, or Nick Fury from yes, the upcoming Avengers team (sidenote: the geeks in us would notice Captain America's shield and Thor's hammer). Everyone seems to have so much fun and it shows. I don't recall ever laughing so hard for so long in a non-comedic movie!

And Whiplash... what an entrance! I totally didn't expect the Monaco mayhem to happen early. With connected past through their fathers, he's a worthy adversary. The Grand Prix thrill of the peril where Whiplash faces off with Stark sans suit is the stealer of the movie (and the manner in which he ends up donning the suit is a real treat), even more so than the last sequence of dash, smash and blast of the battle of the war machines in the end. Although the mass zig-zag laser cut or the armed superobots is the incredible icing on the metal. If there's a "flaw" in all these, Don Cheadle as war machine is too flawless to be believable. Not anyone clad in the suit is "Iron Man."

One might argue that this "Iron Man" lacks heart, but I tend to think that it's just as it's supposed to be. "Iron Man" doesn't take itself seriously; it's a nonstop joyride starring a wisecracked eccentric atypical superhero, and it deftly delivers.

The MovieMaven http://themoviemaven.posterous.com