IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 74: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

all noise and no substance

Author: mik-trotman from United Kingdom
29 October 2010

This movie is nothing but drivel and loud bangs.

No plot, no characters, no development, no story. Nothing that makes a movie.

This is just embarrassing to watch for the sheer lack of any sign of imagination or story-telling.

A three year old kid playing with his transformer toys would provide more entertainment that this insult to the intelligence of any anthropomorphic animal.

Suitable only for imaginatively deceased.

An IMDb review has to contain more than 10 lines of comment. It has hard to find more than 10 words that is worth wasting on this total waste of time , energy and human effort.

Outdated and predictable to a tee

Author: M Whatever from United States
30 September 2010

I could not watch this movie to the end because it was so boring and predictable that it made me sick. No storyline whatsoever. It was all over the place. I guess writers could not come up with anything, so they decided to copy all the old stuff they knew and dump it in one place. Prolonged dialogs about nothing. In the best traditions of Cold War propaganda that apparently is still alive with some oldtimers, Iron man is fighting against some soviet guy who speaks his native Russian with horrible American accent. They used every single stupid cliché possible. Saving poor scared child, strong independent women wiping floor with poor "denutted" men, retarded dialogs , very typical happy end of course. It was like when the character takes one step you already know what the second step will be and how it all will end. When i was watching this movie i thought that the screenplay writer must be or really old and stuck in some time that had long passed or if he is young he is very stupid and out of touch with reality.

great stuff

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
22 May 2010

i had high high expectations for this film,since the first one was so good.i'm happy to say i wasn't disappointed.there is more going on this one that much is certain.Sam Jackson returns as Nick Fury head of Shield in a expanded role.Mickey Rourke plays a baddie(with relish and gusto)Scarlett Johanssen's character is underwritten and underutilized,which is unfortunate,because the character is rife with potential.here's hoping they remedy that situation in the upcoming avengers film.Sam Rockwell has an interesting role.Don Cheadle replaces Terrance Howard as Lt.Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes,and i have to say,i think he is a better fit.and of course Robert and Gwyneth return as Pepper and Tony.and we finally get to know Pepper's actual first name.for me,Iron Man 2 is a 10/10

Iron Man 2

Author: chains01 from United States
14 May 2010

Taking place six months after the first Iron Man, Iron Man 2 finds a world where Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) has successfully "privatized world peace," but fearing other countries getting their hands on Stark's Iron Man technology the Senate seeks to have Tony hand over the technology to the government. Also seeking to steal Stark's technology is Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell) who wants to regain a weapons contract with the military. Complicating things further, a mysterious Russian physicist named Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke) turns up to destroy Tony Stark.

Iron Man was a huge surprise when it came out in the early summer of 2008. A 2nd tier Marvel comic book, Iron Man became one of the top grossing movies of 2008, and even held it's own very well against the juggernaut that was The Dark Knight despite it's much smaller fanbase. It also resurrected Robert Downey Jr.'s career, showing that he was capable of leading a franchise despite his past mistakes, and showed that Jon Favreau was a viable action director. Since then Downey has found himself nominated for two Golden Globes winning one of them, and added yet another big action franchise to the current notch in his belt. Of course, all eyes are on Iron Man 2 to see if the movie will top it's predecessor in the expectations department, so how does it hold up.

In my opinion, Iron Man 2 equals it's predecessor. The second installment of Iron Man is funnier than the original, and it ups the ante on the action from the first movie as well. What really makes the movie though, is not the action, but the characterizations. Fleshing out Stark's narcissism as well as his inabilities to deal with his emotions opens new doors into the character. Favreau and new writer to the series Justin Theroux (Tropic Thunderdo a great job of handling a large cast that would normally sink most other comic book franchises.

The casting in this movie is superb even if it seems jarring to see so many actors and actresses playing characters that aren't typical for them. Apart from The Spirit and The Island, Scarlett Johansson hasn't played an outright action fueled character, but she equips herself admirably to play the part of a believable martial arts trained heroine. Don Cheadle does a great job taking over the role of Rhodey from Terrence Howard, and even tops his predecessor. Sam Rockwell does a superb job as Stark's rival, and a man who tries his hardest to be as iconic as Tony Stark, but fails miserably on all counts. Mickey Rourke steals nearly every scene he's in, though, as Russian physicist Ivan Vanko. I was never sure if I would be able to buy him as a Russian, but the work he put into researching for the character definitely paid off.

On the downside though, sometimes it feels as though there's too much of a rush to get from one point to the next. Scenes feel as though they move to the next before they're truly done playing out. Unfortunately, this is one of the issues of having such a large cast that needs to have proper screen time to flesh out the characters. To add to that, the second half of the film is a bit derivative of other action films. While the film may do a great job of going in a different direction than other comic book films by outing it's central character and performing a character study on a man who thrives on his popularity in that position, but in the last act of the movie it falls into the same trap as other action movies with an ending that can be cliché.

All in all, I highly recommend this movie, especially if you like movies based on comic books and if you like the first Iron Man. Franchises like Iron Man, the current Batman series, and Kick-Ass set a new benchmark for comic book movies and action movies in general. With great action, acting, characterization, and originality these movies have moved beyond their genres to capture something that extends beyond it's core audience.

4.5/5

Incredible sequel and good set-up for "Demon in a Bottle"

Author: liggins14 from United States
10 May 2010

I really don't understand what people were expecting, looking at some of the negative reviews. This sequel gives you everything that was great about the first film and then some. Better action, more humor, more characters, and more Easter eggs leading into the Avengers movie. It delves further into Tony Stark's character, showing that his arrogant public persona is a ruse...behind the scenes, he's scared to death because the artificial heart he created is slowly poisoning him to death. He begins drinking heavily, which is leading up to a "Demon in a Bottle" sequel; comic book fans know that I'm talking about a key Iron Man story line that helped define the character. I loved Scarlett Johansen as the Black Widow...her one action scene was awesome. The two major Iron Man/War Machine fight scenes beat the action sequences in the first film. The final scene was much better the first movie's finale. I can't wait to see Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers movies!

Wow Iron 2

Author: getyourdander from United States
9 May 2010

In my view, this movie is better than the first installment. There are several reasons for me so naturally I want to list them. I was surprised that all the outrageous trailers for the film turned out to be in the film. Yet they made too much sense & didn't seem quite as outrageous.

Robert Downey Jr. is excellent again. He is perfectly in character as Tony Stark. There is an explanation for the outrageous behavior which makes total sense. Clue- if you had all the power on Earth & thought you were going to die, what would you do?

There are some nice location shots in this, particularly Monte Carlo.

All the supporting cast is back from Iron Man with some excellent additions. Lucas Film effects & Skaywalker sound are much in evidence. To me this film has a more traditional film Hollywood pace. It has perfect spacing between the action sequences & the story sequences. No sequence is too long to get boring. The last half of the first film had a battle sequence that was much too long. People fall in love with computer effects too often.

There is a new arch nemesis for Iron Man. See the film & stay all the way until after the credits. There is an additional scene.

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
9 October 2010

I was pleasantly surprised with this, thinking that it's probably another sequel that doesn't match up to the original. I was wrong; I thought this was better, a more likable and entertaining film than the first! Of course, it helps to know in advance that the "hero" ("Ton Stark," played by Robert Downey) is even more obnoxious in this film. Knowing that, I didn't let that bother me and just enjoyed the good acting in here and the excellent special-effects.

Mickey Rourke ("Ivan Vanko") is almost always interesting to watch so I enjoyed his role, too, even if I had a hard time understanding his Russian accent.

The story is, yes, sophomoric but most action films today are. Just enjoy the funny lines, CGI, the pretty women (Gwyneth Paltrow and Scarlett Johannson) and wild heroes and villains and you should get your money's worth out of the viewing. See it on Blu-Ray and you'll enjoy it that much more.

Great movie!!

Author: rockyroberts999 from United States
22 May 2010

OK....so let me just start by saying, Iron Man 2 is AMAZING!! It's so good, it made me go unconscious for a little while....well almost. I read so many terrible reviews, so I walked in the theater a little skeptical. What I got was incredible though! It was everything I hoped for and nothing I was worried about it. "Too many AC/DC songs" and "too much Burger King" were 2 things I kept reading about, so I was kept thinking that it was going to be like a cheesy 2 hour music video/Super Bowl commercial. There were 2 AC/DC songs, which were only 30 second clips and fit the scenes they were in, plus I mean, directors like certain bands; just like Scorsese loves the Rolling Stones and puts tons of their tracks in his stuff, apparently Favreau likes AC/DC. Honestly, I didn't see Burger King anywhere in this movie and I can usually spot product placement instantly because it drives me crazy. It was great though is the bottom line. Even the change to Don Cheadle was fine and I loved first line of, "I'm here, it's me, get over it," which obviously had a double-meaning. I loved all of it. Even Scarlett Johansson was good in it. She didn't have very many lines, so her inability to act well wasn't even noticeable, and she was a bad ass with bad ass fight scenes.

I dug it, you'll dig it, go see it.

Dimension

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
18 May 2010

Common sense hits the front office at Marvel's adventure in movie-making. Until now, they've just made bad films. Bad.

The basic problem, I believe, is that the rest of the world is out exploiting the third dimension and Marvel insists on making flat movies. Even Spidermen, where the character lives and fights in space was flat. All of a sudden, Marvel and ILM wise up. This not only matches but excels what we have at this time in terms of complex three dimensional motion.

The camera flies. Objects fly and the two weave in ways new to us. The camera is usually placed in some relatively stationary place to allow you to see what is going on. That place is removed from the action. Sometimes the camera becomes or emulates a POV of a flying or moving object as if it is in the action — or perhaps a character. The game in this new future is a matter of combining the two so that it has the properties of both, but is neither.

Done well, it generates pure cinematic excitement. Done well, it overwhelms everything else and thrills because it is so otherworldly. It is done well here. Done well. And it doesn't have to be used to cloud deficiencies elsewhere. All is at least competent and some things: Downey, Rockwell and the production design are excellent.

This dimensional thing is done so well that it is mirrored elsewhere. Stark's computers have a hand and voice manipulatable three dimensional, haptic, multiaffordance holographic interface. The motion is less important here than the notion of projected dimensionality. His nemesis? Well, he manages an entire army of drones by a single QWERTY keyboard and a DOS-like display. The contrast is, I think a deliberate thing. They would have pimped up Stark's machine anyway, but having the contrast is a subtle narrative reminder of the difference in dimensionality of the thing.

Oh, it is also mirrored in the two women. One is a lighthaired, ponytailed redhead who never leaves the plane. The other is a fiery darker redhead with wild hair (in her real persona) who in a remarkable fight scene is profoundly three-dimensional.

Samuel Jackson has decided to do anything, work anywhere, take any pay cut to be the face of the master organization that watches us. I think he knows that this legacy will live for generations, planted in juvenile minds eager for explanatory conspiracies. These theories for some reason rarely are discarded as kids age. It is his face now that is often associated with the leader of the new demigods the genre is creating. Smart building of intellectual property for someone with limited range.

Downey. What a guy. Let's hope he takes some of his power to create projects that matter in some way beyond merely thrilling by advancing the craft of seeing.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.

Loved This Movie

Author: Saudade777 from Vancouver, BC
9 May 2010

I don't normally write reviews, but I had to after seeing some of the Critic reviews. I am a huge, huge comic book fan. Have been since I was 7. Iron Man caught me off guard. I was always loved the 'Avengers' (Marvel comics always beat DC in my world), but Iron Man was never one of my favourite characters, but the first movie was right up there with Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, and X-Men 2.

For me Iron Man 2 is in that league. This movie was funny, tons of action, great characters, wonderful ideas with subtle touches. I'm not going into the plot or give spoilers.

All I want to say is this movie was darn fun and a great summer movie.

Please trust me on this one.