IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 21 of 71: [Prev][16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [Next]

Pretty good sequel that's entertaining, explosive and sexy.

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
9 May 2010

"Iron Man" is not my favorite superhero(that place goes to Batman)nor does he rank ahead of Wonder Women still Tony Stark is an interesting cocky sucker of enough character to watch. As "Iron Man 2" for a sequel really delivered. As director Jon Favreau once again kept the action rolling with special effects and kick ass action sequences. Once again Robert Downey Jr. is back as Tony Stark former weapons mogul turned special agent Iron Man. This time his challenge is a Russian villain named Ivan(Mickey Rourke fresh off his classic performance in "The Wrestler") who wants to destroy the world with his new chemical and high tech weapons. And Sam Rockwell struts as a money hungry arms dealer.

Returning is Gwyneth Paltrow as Tony's girlfriend now company CEO. And to spice up the picture a real treat of eye candy is Scarlett Johansson as Natasha who's sexy as hell! She becomes a new superhero! Really this film is a showcase for cutting edge technology that shows human inventions. And it was nice to see a cameo by Bill O' Reilly too. Overall this picture is a good treat of action and explosive technology. Probably a watch for any comic book fan.

EVERYTHING you would want in a movie and much more!

Author: Big Unit from United States
27 April 2010

The makers of this film held nothing back. When it works, as it does here, it rekindles even a cynic's movie love. So kudos to Downey, Paltrow, Cheadle, Scar-Jo, Rockwell, Rourke and especially Favreau. What a film! It is a sight to behold. Every scene was captivating, whether it was full on armor action or the charismatic "down time" delivered by the best cast possible. Isn't that what movies are suppose to be about? It's good to see the response to the movie has been, for the most part, positive. I've noticed that sometimes expectations are unreasonable or some fans are too attached to their comic book preconceived notions. (X-Men and Wolverine fans I'm looking right at you!) Iron Man 2 stayed close enough to its roots and I hope most judge it as a film first. If you do, I'm almost certain that everyone will enjoy it as much as I did.

It easily fulfilled and then exceeded all of my expectations. The only thing I worry about is that they may be setting expectations for that Avengers movie too high. How can it possibly live up to the standard these movies are setting and setting up????? Iron Man 2 is EVERYTHING you would want in a movie and much more! It is a special treat when a sequel reaches up and delivers an excellent film that you thoroughly enjoy as much if not more than a beloved first installment. It truly feels like they just paused and kept telling the same story but with more of an edge. Hopefully, they can do it again and skip that third movie curse. Think of it as another installment and they'll be fine. Fitting Avengers in to the mix is even more fun to think about but I heard that Favreau will be involved with that as an executive producer. So, I'm not worried. In the meanwhile, we can all enjoy this film because it stands on its own but as a great part of a running saga.

Highly enjoyable

Author: craig-hopton from United Kingdom
21 May 2015

I rather enjoyed this. I hadn't seen the first Iron Man when I watched this and I was pleasantly surprised by how well suited Robert Downey Jr was to this role. His character is carefree, quirky, irresponsible and genuinely funny, the opposite of what you'd expect from the suit of armour. It makes the movie sufficiently tongue in cheek that you can enjoy the action without having to worry about the plot line being too serious. Just goes to show what getting the right actor can do for a movie.

Gwyneth Paltrow and Scarlett Johansson provide plenty of female interest to the proceedings. And then there's Mickey Rourke, who performs brilliantly as a mad, brawny Russian bad guy with plenty of character, who outwits everyone else in the movie. Excellent stuff.

This is a light hearted affair but really enjoyable.

Iron Man 2 Review

Author: Al_The_Strange from United States
6 May 2015

In the first Iron Man film, we saw an arms manufacturer develop a conscience and become a hero trying to clean up the mess his company left behind. A follow-up was inevitable, and Iron Man 2 would continue to track Tony Stark's moral journey through even more highs and lows.

Among the high points of the film, Iron Man confronts a new villain that pops up out of the blue, who trashes some race cars and sends them flying down the track. The film's climax pits Iron Man against a whole contingent of drones, before Iron Man and War Machine team up in an explosive all-out fighting sequence. All this action is really cool, but the film still dishes out plenty of amusing banter and interesting thematic material to keep everything even.

Unfortunately, the film suffers a few low points. In spite of the dramatic issues the film tackles, the pacing is not always perfect; scenes in-between the action can be a hit-or-a-miss. This is because the film juggles a lot of different things in its plot. It is notable how the film continues to track Tony Stark's growth, for even though he embraced a new identity as a hero, he still has his ego to contend with, and it gets him into all kinds of trouble in this film. These scenes do dig up significant levels of conflict, and ultimately, it presents a compelling account of how Tony's obsession with technology and fame gradually erodes his soul and isolates him from the people around him. However, the film also tosses in other random elements - including a Russian bad guy who has no real relevance to the story's main conflicts, and some random scenes with Black Widow and Nick Fury that only serve to whet audiences' appetites for 2012's Avengers. In spite of these haphazard plot points, the film doesn't necessarily congeal well, making for a rather uneven story.

Fortunately, the film looks good, with decent photography and editing. Robert Downey Jr. continues to excel as the main character, while Gweneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Sam Rockwell, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson are all fun to watch. Mickey Rourke has some cheesy parts (especially with his "I vant my boid" line), but I think he's good most of the time. Writing is okay, but probably could have used more refinement. This production features good-looking sets, props, costumes, and special effects. John Debney's music score is pretty awesome.

Iron Man 2 is decently-entertaining and its story has a few significant points to make, but it is rather mixed, and it has led many viewers to regard it as an inferior sequel. Regardless of its issues, I find the film perfectly enjoyable.

4/5 (Entertainment: Good | Story: Mixed | Film: Very Good)

Not as good as the first

Author: John Rivet from Canada
26 April 2015

Iron Man 2 is the obvious sequel to the first Iron Man film which was released back in 2008, it's also directed by Jon Favreau. While the first Iron Man was a great comic book film and just a great film in general, Iron Man 2 is simply just a good film and nothing more which is a bit disappointing because it could've been even better than the first. Iron Man 2 does have a lot of things going for it but at times it feels a bit bogged down because of a weak villain and a severely underused Mickey Rourke.

Favreau's direction still manages to be great here but it's undermined by a weak villain who serves no real threat to Stark. Early on we get a great action sequence that gives us a good look at Whiplash and he even looks promising here, but sadly this is the best sequence that he's in and everything else he's in is just disappointing. The character of Whiplash is only here to be a plain old bad guy, he has nothing interesting and is just flat out boring at times; he never really poses a threat to Stark. The film is just one huge set up for The Avengers and at times feels a bit uneven because of the whole setup, I know that they had to plant seeds for the film but the film should still be able to stand on its own.

The acting in this film is once again great and everyones does their best, though Mickey Rourke looks bored with everything. The stand out here is once again Robert Downey Jr who really is Tony Stark, this guy was perfect for the role and ended up being the best casting choice that Marvel has made yet. Marvel know's what they are doing when it comes to casting which is why it's odd that Rourke's character serves little to no purpose in the movie, they could've done so much more with the character.

The score in this film is huge step down from the first and is just okay at best, it's nowhere near bad but it's also not even close to the first film's brilliant score. Iron Man 2's score just seems like a generic that was just thrown in because the movie needed one and boy does it feel weak, although the ACDC music does make up for it at least. When it comes to blockbusters such as this, you need a score that is both huge but not overly distracting to the point that you can't pay attention to the movie itself.

Iron Man 2 is a step down from the first bit still manages to be a good time at the movies if you're willing to chuck your brain at the door.

3.7/5 stars

Another Score for Marvel

Author: caseynicholson from United States
30 January 2015

"Iron Man 2" is the third chapter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, i.e. the third Marvel Comics movie produced in-house at Marvel Studios. This second episode of "Iron Man" sees Robert Downey, Jr. turn out a strong performance as Tony Stark, and the cast of the film does a similarly grand job as that of the original.

One notable change in the movie is that Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes is now played by Don Cheadle, as opposed to Terrence Howard who filled the role in the first "Iron Man" film. Both Howard and Cheadle turn out strong performances in this role, and it's hard to say which does a better job, but it is a bit of a glaring change, with Cheadle looking so dissimilar from Howard.

The rest of the cast all do quite well in this movie, including Gwyneth Paltrow, reprising her role as Pepper Potts, and Mickey Rourke who plays the film's villain, Ivan Vanko (a character who features characteristics of both the Crimson Dynamo and Whiplash, villains from the Iron Man comic books).

All in all this film is a strong chapter in the MCU's ongoing Iron Man storyline. The film develops the Tony Stark character, matching it with the classic comic book Tony Stark by introducing us to not just the billionaire playboy, but also to the Stark that struggles with alcoholism and whose own contraption that saved his life is now endangering him with radiation poisoning. Both of those plot features are drawn straight from the 1980's mythology of Iron Man. Likewise, the film goes a step further by introducing us to a larger piece of the MCU puzzle by giving us more information on SHIELD and Howard Stark. Black Widow (aka Natasha Romanov, played by Scarlett Johansson) is also introduced in this movie, and is featured prominently.

While it's probably fair to say that this movie falls just short of being as good as its predecessor, again, it's certainly a great, fun movie from Marvel. I rate it at 8/10 stars.

Iron Man 2 is a decent movie, I'm sure it'll entertain you, but don't expect it to reach the heights of the first one.

Author: Omar Ashmawi from Brazil
5 January 2015

Iron Man 2 had some big shoes to fill, I mean, the first one was completely amazing, great action, great acting, overall great. Sadly, Iron Man 2 doesn't deliver. First off, it's not a bad movie, it's not good either, but it will entertain you, it's a pretty fun movie, but it doesn't reach the heights of the first one. But let's start:

The acting again is very good, Robert Downey Jr. does a great job as Tony Stark again, but he is less likable in this film, because he's a bit of a douchebag, I know, Tony is a dick, but in a good way, you are entertained by his douchiness in the first movie, but in this one he's really doesn't give a crap about anything, so you just don't like him here. Gwyneth Paltrow didn't change much, Don Cheadle was good, when he was doing something, because for the most part he doesn't have much to do, more than Terrence Howard, but still not a lot of things. Mickey Rourke is great in the movie, he's a fantastic actor, and it makes you think that Marvel really wasted this opportunity, they paid for Mickey Rourke so they should've done something with his character. He nails every scene he's in, but they went all Darth Maul on him, he didn't get much screen time and he was badly developed, you only care about him because he's Mickey Rourke. Sam Rockwell was also great in the movie, he was the funniest guy in the film, he gave one of the funniest monologues I've seen, the "Ex-Wife", I laughed so hard at that one! There's also Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson, they acted well, their roles were a bit questionable, but they acted well, Nick Fury was pretty funny, and it was nice seeing Black Widow kick some butt.

The writing in the movie is decent, the jokes work very well, especially Hammer's lines, the dialogue is pretty good also, but the main problem of the movie is in the story.

The story is so convoluted, but mostly not because of so many characters as you would think, but rather because of all the different subplots. I mean, I didn't even get the feeling that there is a main plot, because there were so many and they didn't clear up as to what is the main story. Black Widow was obviously only in it because they needed to set up the Avengers, Nick Fury as well, which I'm fine with, because it paid off for sure, but Iron Man 2 got so preoccupied with setting up that they replaced character development and motivation with bad introductions. Jon Favreau did a good job directing again, it's really the writers fault that the movie failed. The action scenes were very cool again, the fight between Rhodey and Tony was awesome, one of the best parts, the fight where they team up against the mechs was also very cool. The climax battle with Whiplash… not so much. It was way too short, but it was fun while it lasted, the way they win was kind of dumb and they thought about it very quickly, but it's a pretty entertaining. The effects in Iron Man 2 are great, just like the first one, the suitcase fight sequence was AWESOME! The holograms look very cool, despite being a bit dumb. The soundtrack of the movie was great too, I especially liked the use of "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen, that part was really cool.

So overall Iron Man 2 is a pretty entertaining movie, it's in between good and bad. I do recommend it, as long as you keep in mind that it doesn't reach the heights of its predecessor, I'm sure there's enough humor and action to keep you entertained. I give Iron Man 2 a 7.5 out of 10.

Tony Stark is back !

Author: RainMan147 from United Kingdom
30 July 2014

Iron Man 2 is actually great entertainment. Sure it's no classic but it has a quality cast and a decent enough story to make the two-hour running length worthwhile.

Firstly, the dialogue is great. Robert Downey Jr. has some hilarious lines and director Jon Favreau also has some funny moments in his small role. The story is solid and easy to follow , with no obvious loopholes and good pacing. This is particularly clear with villain-of-sorts Justin Hammer , who we first see at the beginning in the court room but when he loses the case we can understand his motive for joining forces with Tough Guy Ivan Vanco. It's this sort of character development that makes this film compelling. It's also nice to see Nick Fury (a.k.a Sam L.Jackson ) make his marvel debut even if it is basically a short avengers commercial.

In my opinion, this movie actually matches the original - it builds upon its biggest appeal , the charismatic Tony Stark , and delivers a substantial story that encompasses both action and wit. Nevertheless, the movie could have benefited from more action (there are only two major action sequences in the entire movie ) and a bigger part from Scarlett Johansson who was rather under-played. Still, good entertainment and worth a watch.

Nicely done

Author: obeaaf from United States
28 June 2014

Plot Summary: the world has gain knowledge that billionaire and inventor Tony Stark is the man in iron suite and with that revelation come pressure and questions about his technology and inventions. At this same time, old enemies unknown to him plans to take him down. With the government against for not sharing his inventions, Tony must form new alliances to confront some powerful enemies. The theme of the movie was struggle for human dignity and human relationship. This is shown as Tony tries to show to the world that he not a selfish person but have more integrity than that while building strong relationship with others. This film share the same them with Iron Man 1 The film featured Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts, Don Cheadle as James Rhodes with Mickey Rourke as Ivan Vanko. In Iron Man 2, Tony Stark is the same arrogant person but this time the government and public is putting pressure on to release the suit to the government and military which he refuses. After he was captured because of his weapons, he vow in a public press release that he will not manufacture weapons for the military. But his resolve to keep his inventions close to himself is shaken when an old enemy confront him with a replica of the suit he created. The pressure from the government becomes more and Tony become selfish. Tony must now revisit his unresolved feelings toward his dead father and then try and build a relationship with him to be able to resolve his dignity and deal with the pressure from the military. The camera angle in the scene at the Grand Prix made it more dramatic and suspenseful. In the scene, Tony's racing car was turn upside down from the crash and Ivan was coming unto him at the same time the background showed explosion from other vehicle crashing. The camera shot he scene form downward making the scene more dramatic. The director also uses motif in the form of music. Every time Tony get his suit to fly or is about to fly, you will hear the same sound playing at the background and become some kind of Iron Man entrance sound. Overall, I believe the director was able to illustrate the intended theme of the film.

metal brawn

Author: panther2pup from United States
3 June 2014

I wasn't sure if I'd like this. I like Mickey Rourke and have been a fan of his for years. I like Scarlett Johansson also......Robert Downey Jr. And I liked this movie. Quite a bit.

One of my favorite parts was near the beginning ......with the cars ripping up, literally. And Rourke s character striding down the track. I love the action and muscle......the cars and special effects. An exciting way to start an action movie. This a good sequel and exciting. I loved the robot assembly lines ....very cool and strange to think about. Its kinda like an action science fiction combo. Lots of muscle and brawn, entertaining thrills and spontaneous combustion. This was a nice surprise. I'd recommend this.