IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 74:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Not as great as the first but is bashed on far too much

Author: illbebackreviews from Australia
18 May 2013

Often considered to be a critical disappointment that cannot match the same brilliance as the original, I was sceptical about watching this film. As one of the people who liked the original but didn't love it, I thought that maybe I wouldn't be as sorely disappointed by this film as die hard Iron Man fans were. The thing with this film is that most viewers either love it or hate it so it is truly difficult to take a side in it.

Iron Man 2 tells the story of Tony Stark who has now revealed that he is indeed Iron Man and continues to enforce peace across the world until he meets a new enemy who has his plans to get revenge on Stark, whilst at the same time discovering that he is dying. Will Stark be able to keep his legacy and ensure that the people believe in Iron Man or will he fail? To be fair, I didn't hate this movie. I actually really liked it. Surely not as great as the original but this film sure nears it in my opinion. With dazzling visual effects, a mostly outstanding script that makes way for many laughs throughout the film, Iron Man 2 is a mostly engaging film with a great story and extremely special action sequences. I love in this film how Stark is once more put to test and how the original ended with Stark revealing that he is Iron Man. That allows the film to be free of any restrictions and give more fun to the film. Some of the stuff that Stark does throughout the film are truly idiotic and hilarious, and can only be thought of as hilarious due to the performance that Robert Downrey Jr gives.

Robert Downrey Jr is truly the scene stealer and he just completely steals the film in every way. He is energetic, he is charming, he is funny yet he can also be a more dramatic person. Everyone else does a great job in the film, mainly Samuel L Jackson playing S.H.I.E.L.D director Nick Fury. His performance isn't anything special from Jackson like Pulp Fiction but his presence is always welcome throughout the film. Scarlett Johannsson is great in the role of Natasha and the final action sequences in the film with her were truly great.

Iron Man 2 is not nearly as great as its predecessor but is nevertheless, a fun and entertaining film with plenty of laughs and plenty of amazing visual effects and some absolutely fantastic action sequence. In terms of its action, it is possibly better than the original and also has a greater villain. The acting is fantastic by Robert Downrey Jr and everyone else does their part well. Iron Man 2 is nevertheless an engaging film and is honestly, either a guilty pleasure for myself or an underrated and overly criticized film.

Very refreshing.

Author: virindra from Netherlands
8 August 2012

I like the Iron Man movies. The special effects are great, story is interesting and surprising. Acting is good. After seeing Iron man 1 I thought, what can they do different in Iron man 2, but it really worked out great.

After seen so many superhero movies, it is known that it's hard to make a good third movie (see the original spider man movies). It is hard to top the first two. Now they are going to make Iron Man 3. I have seen the cast list on IMDb and I'n eager to see the movie. Ben Kingsley, Guy Pearce, William Sadler. I am not going to mention the whole cast list, but what bothered me is why Anthony Michael Hall is not listed. It would be great to see him again with Robert Downey Jr. in a movie.

Sadly Lacking

Author: Corin Maslin from United Kingdom
11 November 2010

Oh dear. The inclusion of all the elements is here - RDJ is great, Scarlet Johannsen is lovely, fast cars, it's there, just that there's nothing to tie it all together.

The right things in awful proportions makes this a very disappointing film. The cast is great, don't get me wrong, but they need to just *do* more.

I wanted to watch an Iron Man film. I don't want to hear about Stark's daddy issues, or go into great detail about his health problems. I wanted an Iron Man film - a cool suit of powered armour against powerful enemies with loads of action, adventure and fun. It's telling the suit doesn't make a decent appearance until right near the very end for the short, confused and anticlimactic fight we were sitting through we were waiting for.

We spend most of the film moping about Stark's personal issues and the action is almost entirely forgotten about until someone clearly realized it was *supposed* to be an action film and tacked something on the end.

Any time an action film turns to "resolving daddy issues" as a plot device (I'm looking at you, "The Mummy 3: Curse of the Dragon Emperor"), it's fallen far far from the place it was meant to be.

By the time the big finale did come about it was way too short, but by that time I was bored as hell and didn't really care any more. Boring. Just boring.

all noise and no substance

Author: mik-trotman from United Kingdom
29 October 2010

This movie is nothing but drivel and loud bangs.

No plot, no characters, no development, no story. Nothing that makes a movie.

This is just embarrassing to watch for the sheer lack of any sign of imagination or story-telling.

A three year old kid playing with his transformer toys would provide more entertainment that this insult to the intelligence of any anthropomorphic animal.

Suitable only for imaginatively deceased.

An IMDb review has to contain more than 10 lines of comment. It has hard to find more than 10 words that is worth wasting on this total waste of time , energy and human effort.

Outdated and predictable to a tee

Author: M Whatever from United States
30 September 2010

I could not watch this movie to the end because it was so boring and predictable that it made me sick. No storyline whatsoever. It was all over the place. I guess writers could not come up with anything, so they decided to copy all the old stuff they knew and dump it in one place. Prolonged dialogs about nothing. In the best traditions of Cold War propaganda that apparently is still alive with some oldtimers, Iron man is fighting against some soviet guy who speaks his native Russian with horrible American accent. They used every single stupid cliché possible. Saving poor scared child, strong independent women wiping floor with poor "denutted" men, retarded dialogs , very typical happy end of course. It was like when the character takes one step you already know what the second step will be and how it all will end. When i was watching this movie i thought that the screenplay writer must be or really old and stuck in some time that had long passed or if he is young he is very stupid and out of touch with reality.

great stuff

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
22 May 2010

i had high high expectations for this film,since the first one was so good.i'm happy to say i wasn't disappointed.there is more going on this one that much is certain.Sam Jackson returns as Nick Fury head of Shield in a expanded role.Mickey Rourke plays a baddie(with relish and gusto)Scarlett Johanssen's character is underwritten and underutilized,which is unfortunate,because the character is rife with potential.here's hoping they remedy that situation in the upcoming avengers film.Sam Rockwell has an interesting role.Don Cheadle replaces Terrance Howard as Lt.Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes,and i have to say,i think he is a better fit.and of course Robert and Gwyneth return as Pepper and Tony.and we finally get to know Pepper's actual first name.for me,Iron Man 2 is a 10/10

Not the usual kind of sequel

Author: d_art from LA Area
19 May 2010

In Iron Man 2, Robert Downey Jr. returns as billionaire Tony Stark, this time facing pressures from the government to share his armor technology with the military. At the same time, he discovers the technology which keeps him alive is also slowly killing him. He appoints Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) as CEO of Stark Industries, while her old job goes to Natalie Rushman (Scarlett Johansson). Meanwhile, Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke), the son of his father's enemy, joins forces with Stark's rival competitor Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell).

First off, I enjoyed the first Iron Man, but I wasn't a huge fan. I felt Jon Favreau's direction and Robert Downey Jr. made the film better than what it could've been. Tony Stark was fun, story was okay, and the villain was a bit disappointing. The idea of the villain being just another version of the protagonist never appealed to me. I felt the same way about the wannabe-Hulk villain in Incredible Hulk. Now, if the villain is very different from the hero (Joker vs. Batman / Superman vs. Lex Luthor / Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock), the hero has to apply different strategies, which makes for more entertaining battles. Well, in the Iron Man sequel, that idea hasn't changed too much—Iron Man still battles a similar foe, although there are now more of them. Thankfully, the shootouts, the flights, the computerized special effects, and the mass destruction are a lot of fun to watch, but it is not the central focus.

This film's focus is all about the characters, an unusual direction for a sequel. It's no Transformers 2, that's for sure. Majority of the time, you won't see Tony Stark in armor. You do, however, get to see a bit of a darker and a vulnerable side to Tony, which happens to make him more complex, engaging, and sometimes, dangerous. Robert Downey Jr. plays Tony flawlessly, and he's just as much fun, if not more, than before. Some may be put off by the dialogue-driven first half of the film. The film isn't all about "let's hurry up and get him to fight somebody." In fact, it takes its time, and there's not a whole lot of action in the beginning, but there's a certain build-up that leads to the eventual confrontation with the baddies. The film isn't so much about a specific villain or a goal, but it is mainly about Tony, his psychology, and his reactions to life. Gwyneth Paltrow is back as Pepper Potts—she is as we remember her from the last film—charming and continuously getting Stark out of trouble.

Many interesting side characters make an appearance this time around. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) plays more of a prominent role as the leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. Scarlett Johansson has great screen presence as Natalie Rushman (aka. Black Widow)—she holds herself pretty well in a great martial arts scene. Don Cheadle has replaced Terrance Howard as Lt. Col. "Rhodey" and gets to play a more prominent role as an Iron Man suit-armored partner to Tony. This film, unlike the first film, tends to lean towards the idea of teamwork more. (Perhaps they're just prepping us for an Avenger film?) Mickie Rourke is engaging on screen as the Russian physicist villain Ivan, which he plays with dark relish. Although his technology—glowing, electrically charged whips—isn't anything new, he is always fun to watch. Likewise, Sam Rockwell is great as usual as a villain, the wisecracking Justin Hammer.

The plot simply continues on from the last film, after people have found out the true identity of Iron Man. While it's nothing too complex, the progression of the story is logical--it would surely bring some enemies out of the woodwork if they knew who he was. The film's pacing isn't as zippy as the first film, where something always seems to be happening, and some audiences may be disappointed as a result.

Overall, I found Iron Man 2 to be entertaining and a worthy sequel, and just different enough not to feel tacked on like an add-on to the previous film. Many sequels can get lazy—they just throw in everything and make it bigger and louder. Some sequels simply let the story progress. This is that kind of sequel. I give Iron Man 2 *** out of **** stars.

You can also follow my reviews on http://twitter.com/d_art

Iron Man 2

Author: chains01 from United States
14 May 2010

Taking place six months after the first Iron Man, Iron Man 2 finds a world where Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) has successfully "privatized world peace," but fearing other countries getting their hands on Stark's Iron Man technology the Senate seeks to have Tony hand over the technology to the government. Also seeking to steal Stark's technology is Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell) who wants to regain a weapons contract with the military. Complicating things further, a mysterious Russian physicist named Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke) turns up to destroy Tony Stark.

Iron Man was a huge surprise when it came out in the early summer of 2008. A 2nd tier Marvel comic book, Iron Man became one of the top grossing movies of 2008, and even held it's own very well against the juggernaut that was The Dark Knight despite it's much smaller fanbase. It also resurrected Robert Downey Jr.'s career, showing that he was capable of leading a franchise despite his past mistakes, and showed that Jon Favreau was a viable action director. Since then Downey has found himself nominated for two Golden Globes winning one of them, and added yet another big action franchise to the current notch in his belt. Of course, all eyes are on Iron Man 2 to see if the movie will top it's predecessor in the expectations department, so how does it hold up.

In my opinion, Iron Man 2 equals it's predecessor. The second installment of Iron Man is funnier than the original, and it ups the ante on the action from the first movie as well. What really makes the movie though, is not the action, but the characterizations. Fleshing out Stark's narcissism as well as his inabilities to deal with his emotions opens new doors into the character. Favreau and new writer to the series Justin Theroux (Tropic Thunderdo a great job of handling a large cast that would normally sink most other comic book franchises.

The casting in this movie is superb even if it seems jarring to see so many actors and actresses playing characters that aren't typical for them. Apart from The Spirit and The Island, Scarlett Johansson hasn't played an outright action fueled character, but she equips herself admirably to play the part of a believable martial arts trained heroine. Don Cheadle does a great job taking over the role of Rhodey from Terrence Howard, and even tops his predecessor. Sam Rockwell does a superb job as Stark's rival, and a man who tries his hardest to be as iconic as Tony Stark, but fails miserably on all counts. Mickey Rourke steals nearly every scene he's in, though, as Russian physicist Ivan Vanko. I was never sure if I would be able to buy him as a Russian, but the work he put into researching for the character definitely paid off.

On the downside though, sometimes it feels as though there's too much of a rush to get from one point to the next. Scenes feel as though they move to the next before they're truly done playing out. Unfortunately, this is one of the issues of having such a large cast that needs to have proper screen time to flesh out the characters. To add to that, the second half of the film is a bit derivative of other action films. While the film may do a great job of going in a different direction than other comic book films by outing it's central character and performing a character study on a man who thrives on his popularity in that position, but in the last act of the movie it falls into the same trap as other action movies with an ending that can be cliché.

All in all, I highly recommend this movie, especially if you like movies based on comic books and if you like the first Iron Man. Franchises like Iron Man, the current Batman series, and Kick-Ass set a new benchmark for comic book movies and action movies in general. With great action, acting, characterization, and originality these movies have moved beyond their genres to capture something that extends beyond it's core audience.

4.5/5

Incredible sequel and good set-up for "Demon in a Bottle"

Author: liggins14 from United States
10 May 2010

I really don't understand what people were expecting, looking at some of the negative reviews. This sequel gives you everything that was great about the first film and then some. Better action, more humor, more characters, and more Easter eggs leading into the Avengers movie. It delves further into Tony Stark's character, showing that his arrogant public persona is a ruse...behind the scenes, he's scared to death because the artificial heart he created is slowly poisoning him to death. He begins drinking heavily, which is leading up to a "Demon in a Bottle" sequel; comic book fans know that I'm talking about a key Iron Man story line that helped define the character. I loved Scarlett Johansen as the Black Widow...her one action scene was awesome. The two major Iron Man/War Machine fight scenes beat the action sequences in the first film. The final scene was much better the first movie's finale. I can't wait to see Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers movies!

Wow Iron 2

Author: getyourdander from United States
9 May 2010

In my view, this movie is better than the first installment. There are several reasons for me so naturally I want to list them. I was surprised that all the outrageous trailers for the film turned out to be in the film. Yet they made too much sense & didn't seem quite as outrageous.

Robert Downey Jr. is excellent again. He is perfectly in character as Tony Stark. There is an explanation for the outrageous behavior which makes total sense. Clue- if you had all the power on Earth & thought you were going to die, what would you do?

There are some nice location shots in this, particularly Monte Carlo.

All the supporting cast is back from Iron Man with some excellent additions. Lucas Film effects & Skaywalker sound are much in evidence. To me this film has a more traditional film Hollywood pace. It has perfect spacing between the action sequences & the story sequences. No sequence is too long to get boring. The last half of the first film had a battle sequence that was much too long. People fall in love with computer effects too often.

There is a new arch nemesis for Iron Man. See the film & stay all the way until after the credits. There is an additional scene.

Page 2 of 74:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]