IMDb > Iron Man 2 (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 75: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

I don't get the hate.

Author: Victreebong from United States, San Diego in CA
1 September 2014

I really like the 2nd Iron Man. It doesn't have the captivation of the first entry, or the polarization of the third, or even the camaraderie of The Avengers, but it's easily the funniest of the bunch. It's more lighthearted than any of the other ones. Really, it's just Tony having fun while dealing with some minor personal demons.

Robert Downey Jr. is as charismatic as always. We get to see more of the playboy in him and his character this time around. With the fortunate casting of Jon Cheadle (but unfortunate loss of Terrence Howard, thanks a lot Paramount!), Tony's kept in check and assisted by his supporting cast in a perfect choice. Jon Cheadle has come a long way from the accent façade of Ocean's Eleven. His resume just keeps growing and it's no surprise why. Gwenyth Paltrow, Clark Gregg and Jon Favreau are of course the returning cast and nail every line in every scene perfectly, deflecting Tony Stark's tendencies to hedonism in his self-inflicted tumultuous tantrums. Newcomers to the series, Scarlett Johanson and Mickey Rourke, are pure BAMF material; Mickey's character Whiplash (an otherwise little known anomaly in the comic book series) is especially well developed and superbly brought out in yet another shining example of Rourke's acting ability through nuance. I don't know if Rourke actually knows Russian, but you wouldn't be any wiser. But who really stands out in this film is Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer. Quite possibly the best supporting villain in any Marvel movie yet, Justin Hammer is the Lando Calrissian of Marvel entertainment, attempting to counter Stark Industries' outfitted models with his own inferior "Hammerroids". This is through the assistance of Whiplash in a baddie double team, and I'll stop there to avoid spoilers. What really makes Rockwell's character shine is his pompous naïve demeanor and aptitude for superiority by being a total mook! He's hysterical and obnoxious at the same time.

---Maybe SPOILERS--- It's true that we see way more of Tony Stark than Iron Man, and some things could have been left out. Some things REALLY should have been left out. We don't need to be dumbed down by believing atoms are created by shiny blue laser beam in a basement man cave through the use of AC ducting. And a stable atom isotope previously undiscovered on a fifties' theme park replica? My IQ isn't in the double digits Marvel. But the interactions between the characters made the movie, so I prefer Tony's personal demons over an extra 15 minutes of Uni-Beams and blurry flight sequences.

---End maybe SPOILERS--- Give the movie a rent if you haven't seen it already. If you have seen, maybe a repeat viewing. Remember, this is a COMICBOOK movie. No matter how many times that's said, people still don't understand that sentence.

I think not

Author: jasonpachar from United States
25 June 2014

The old saying goes that when people retire, they don't come back head strong. I disapprove very strongly whoever said that. When Iron Man come on the scene in 2008 as a remake of the original comic book, I said it wouldn't last. I was completely, out-of-my-freaking-mind, this movie rocked. I'm talking about Robert Downey, Jr. He may have had a rough beginning, but he has shown his true colors, especially the gold and the red colors. Now that they have added a third to make it a trilogy, I can't wait to see that one. I didn't think I would like Iron Man, but I do – here's what I think and believe about this, I think we are going to see Downey, Jr. more and more and more. Great acting, wonderful cast (Downey, Jr., Paltrow, Rourke, Cheadle, Rockwell, Johansson, Jackson) and a wonderful director who by the way made a cameo in the second. Let's give our props to Jon Faverau. Great movie, Great Job!

The Iron Man and War Machine Show

Author: DarksIayer from United States
24 November 2013

This movie is so underrated. RDJ is hilarious as usual, and his portrayal of Tony's drinking problem was very, very good. I also loved Don Cheadle as War Machine. He just screams James Rhodes a lot more than Terrence Howard did.

I also liked Scarlett Johansson and Sam Jackson's characters of Black Widow and Nick Fury. It's not often you see Tony fooled. However, the plot just seemed random at times, and Whiplash and Hammer were not very compelling villains.

Still a very fun movie that enhances both the Iron Man and overall Marvel movie universes.

What Iron Man 3 tried to do, Iron Man 2 already did

Author: Veense Peper from Netherlands
14 October 2013

Yes, here is another review comparing Iron Man 3 to another movie. For one very simple reason, this time. Iron Man 2 already did what Iron Man 3 tried to do. Iron Man 2 succeeded, while Iron Man 3 failed.

In Iron Man 3, the question is said to be raised whether Tony Stark or the suit makes Iron Man. Well, Since we have already seen other people taking on the suit, we know the answer. In IM1 we saw Stane have a stab at it, and in IM2 it was Vanco. Neither of them made a decent Iron Man - so Iron Man IS Tony Stark.

In Iron Man 3, we were told to expect some buddy-cop moments between Tony and Rhodey. We just saw the latter wandering around, contributing nothing to the plot. In IM2, Rhodey was the one friend that Tony had. Giving him the occasional butt-kick if needed, but also be the one Tony could share stuff with he couldn't share with Pepper. He event went so far as to let Rhodey inherit an IM suit.

In Iron Man 3, we were told to expect the exploration what Tony Stark would do if he hit his all time low. If that is so, then he would treat his all time low as a temporary set-back. Well, his house did get blown up, but it didn't affect his behaviour. And neither did the PTSD, except for walking out of a room once or twice. In IM2, we saw Tony at the brink of dying from his own hands. It affected his behaviour. Made him go a little crazy, made him giving away stuff (like his company and IM suit), turned him into an alcoholic. He got so weird, that even SHIELD director Nick Fury had to intervein at one point. If you want to see Stark at his all time low, IM2 is the movie you want to see.

I don't want to get into spoiler territory, but even if you want to see Pepper do some heroics, you can get it in IM2. And yet again, it is handled better than in IM3.

To make a long story short. The territory that is explored in IM3 was already explored in IM2 - just better and more profoundly. Making IM3 a redundant movie and all the more disappointing. If you want to see a good Iron Man story, that is not an origin story, Iron Man 2 is the one you should see...

Loud, incredibly obnoxious, and boring,

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
22 August 2013

I enjoyed the first immensely, it was an entertaining blockbuster, but this is overkill. For starters, Downey's arrogance went beyond my limits. I couldn't stand his Tony Stark portrayal, and the action scenes were overblown. For over two hours, I was bored and annoyed senseless. A sigh of relief came over me when it ended. Also, what happened to the shy, lovable Pepper Pots? This one is whiny, annoying, and constantly bickers with Stark. The Villain Mickey Rourke who is usually a good actor is given a ridiculous Russian accent. Weak script doesn't help matters. Only really cool scene was the race track scene with Downey and Rourke. Downey is OK, but much too annoying here, perhaps he saw dollar signs when he read the script or something, because how he accepted this is beyond me. Mickey Rourke should be ashamed. His Russian accent is entirely unconvincing, and he basically sleep walks through the part in my opinion. As I stated earlier in my review, Gwyneth Paltrow's character heads in a different direction, and not a good one. Don Cheadle is miscast, and is no match for Terrance Howard. Scarlett Johansson is sexy, and charming, but wasn't on nearly enough for my liking. Samuel L. Jackson has a couple of decent scenes. Sam Rockwell is decent in his role.

Final Thoughts: I haven't been this disappointed since Transformers 2, a boring; money making machine with no soul \

Are you f***ing kidding me?

Author: transfomers309 from Sweden
31 May 2011

Seriously! How the heck did this movie get 7.1 of 10? To be honest this sequel sucked!!! Believe me! If you're an action movie lover and have seen the first Iron man movie you're not gonna love this one! This may contain spoiler! But you wanna know the reason why I Hated this then read it! OK first of all: Weeks before I saw this at cinema I have seen the trailers and I was very very exited to see this! I was hoping that there was gonna be double more action than the first movie! And when I saw the whole thing...ALMOST NO ACTION!!!!!! There were just a lot of talking and talking like 1 and a half hour and 30 minutes of action!! No dude seriously this dosen't even feel like action it feels more like: Stupid comedy, drama, thriller and almost no action. If you loved Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen that had a lot action you will not love this one!! Don't waste your time watching this movie! Believe me! I'm very disappointed at Jon Favreau because of this and I will never admire him! He tricked us all to watch his epic fail action movie!!!!!!!

Acceptable sequel packed with frantic action ,thrills, moving scenes and dazzling production design

Author: ma-cortes
27 June 2011

A well-intentioned and interesting plot based on the characters created by Stan Lee , following the events developed in ¨Iron Man I ¨ and repeating the main actors . Because of his superhero alter ego, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) must contend with deadly issues involving the government, his own friends and new enemies . With the world now learns of his dual life as Stark is submitted to the armored pressure from the government, the press, and the public to share his technology with the military , being only helped by SHIELD agency formed by colonel Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) . Unwilling to let go of his invention, Stark, along with Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), and James "Rhodey" Rhodes (Don Cheadle) at his side, must forge new alliances and battle evil enemies as Vanko (Mickey Rourke) and Justin Hammer ( Sam Rockwell).

Nice performance by Rober Downey Jr as superhero Iron Man, the billionaire inventor named Tony Stark who faces powerful enemies . This spectacular comic-book movie contains fantasy, noisy action, humor ,romance , thrills and is pretty entertaining. This is a dynamic, fast- paced and entertaining movie . Full of action , it's complemented by exciting images, thrills and breathtaking scenes , including groundbreaking computer generator special effects. The picture relies in terrific flying sequences , rousing fighting, and relentless pursuits. The moving story is made believable and the script has more pace to it than former film titled ¨Iron Man I¨ also directed by Jon Favreau ; both movies result to be an intense variation on Stan Lee's comic book creation. Our superhero, well incarnated by Downey Jr dons splendidly the metallic armor , for that reason he can to be identified with the rest of his life as Iron Man and he deserves credit for remaining true to character. Breathtaking array of technical effects with impressive set pieces illuminate the Iron Man's full-blown adventures. The amazing plot is pure entertainment and with screenplay by the actor Justin Theroux, based on characters created by Stan Lee, as usual appears in a brief cameo . Overwhelming production design , though full of digital effects with impressive scenes and portentous fights . Stirring musical score fitting to action by John Debney and colorful cinematography by Matthew Libatique .The motion picture is professionally directed by Jon Favreau , an ordinary secondary actor who triumphs as director with ¨Zathura¨, ¨Elf¨ and of course in this ¨Iron Man 2¨ . Rating : Interesting and passable sequel .

Rourke was good. The rest was terrible

Author: Hrutka Pal from Hungary
5 May 2010

This movie was absolutely terrible. Seriously, everyone involved(except Rourke) should be ashamed. I don't know what was the worst thing: -Starks annoying love for himself, which was good in part 1, but here it was over the top. -The even more annoying Paltrow character, which just wouldn't shut up for one second -The fact, that the movie had a ridicilously flat story, which is close to not existing -Or all those wannabe side-characters which had almost no role at all, and were just in to provide some big names to the cast

After like 20 minutes it was pretty obvious for me, that this movie is gonna suck. But I thought, hey, maybe the actions scenes could spice things up a bit. But not even those were really entertaining. The ONLY part, where I thought that it might become interesting, was where all those robots showed up, and they were outnumbered. Cool. What happened? They killed them in like 30 seconds. What a joke.

Rourke's character was the only thing that was a plus.

I was ready to love this film...

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
7 July 2010

About three days before I went to see "Iron Man 2", I watched the original "Iron Man" for the second time. This time, my 20 year-old watched it with me. She'd never seen it before and loved it--thanking me for recommending it to her. And, considering that I not only saw the film twice (that's very rare for me) and gave it a 9 in my review, I obviously was stoked to see the sequel. Too bad I was so underwhelmed by it.

While my daughter said she also liked this film and said Tony Stark (Rober Downey, Jr.) was a jerk like he was in the comic books, I though he was simply a jerk--and perhaps my not reading the comic book made it harder for me to take this bothersome portrayal. Now I am NOT saying I expected him to be perfect--after all, in the first film he was truly irresponsible and sarcastic. But, in "Iron Man 2", you also liked him despite, or perhaps because of these flaws! In this sequel, that likable roguish quality was missing...he was simply an annoying and self-indulgent jerk. Now my perception is not everyone's, I know. Perhaps it's because I am 46 (a bit old for this sort of film) and because I haven't read a comic book in 35 years. Whatever the reason, I found it hard to love the film when I disliked the leading man so much. Heck, while he was very one-dimensional, it was often easier to like the baddie (Mickey Rourke)!! At least he had some sense of purpose in life other than his own misguided narcissism.

My other serious problem with the film is the over-reliance on special effects. Too often, the film simply overloaded my senses--as it seemed bent on topping the eye-popping images of the first film. And, while it did this clearly, it did so at the expense of the plot and, more importantly, character development. As a result, I just can't see this film as anything more than eye-candy for the very easily amused and not a film with any serious depth--something that was NOT a problem with "Iron Man". Watch it if you want...just don't expect a lot of magic.

My IQ dropped after watching this!!!!

Author: mohamed-auc from Egypt
7 August 2010

I can't believe I actually paid money to watch this horrible thing!! The movie has nothing to see, no plot, no character development and no realism at all!!

(SPOILERS) The movie is basically about a super awesome guy with a tin armor, who is a very wealthy, very sexy, very cool, can hack any computer in seconds, brought world peace with his "tin" armor. The story continues when you see that he is also a genius scientist who discovered or created a new element in about 15 minutes!!

It gets better when you see the all bad a** guy/scientist also who drinks vodka all day and loves his parrot!! a scientist whose body is all covered by tattoos and looks like a thug.

Bottom line, if you want to waste your time, at least waste it more decently, there are a lot of retarded movies way better and realistic than this one. It makes me sad that these kind of movies are funded and produced in Hollywood.