"Schoolhouse Rock!" Verb: That's What's Happening (1974)

« Prev | 15 of 63 Episodes | Next »

"Schoolhouse Rock!: Verb: That's What's Happening" is just as much entertaining as when I was a kid

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
25 June 2011

Since I've been recently reviewing superhero-related stuff here on this site, I thought I'd now comment on a "Schoolhouse Rock!" short that had something similar when it first aired back in the '70s. Using a soul/rock inspired song written by Bob Dorough and performed by Zachary Sanders, this cartoon depicts an African-American boy going to the downtown theatre to watch the afternoon matinée of the feature called Verb who is a superhero of his race doing things like getting nouns and making them into verbs while he also saves this little boy in his dreams and then plays baseball at the end. As with most of these things that were originally shown after various Saturday morning programs on ABC, "Verb: That's What Happening" entertains plenty with the song and images used to depict whatever lessons meant to be taught and learned to the various kids viewing these like yours truly when he was a little kid during this time. So on that note, this short is highly recommended.

School house rock

Author: janegpak from United States
30 January 2012

I thought it was funny because when he fell from the mountain and then the super hero helped the little boy it made me laugh. It was cool when the super hero and the baseball man threw the ball and then the super hero hit the ball out of he stadium. This clip made me excited. I kind of laughed when the baseball was lost and then the baseball players were dancing. It was funny when the little boy came into the movie theater and the boy was sitting in the seat and the boy kicked out the big guy from his seat. Our second grade class watched this slip and we were able to learn a lot about verb in a fun way. Our class thinks that it was great, but there were some students who would not recommend this clip to everyone.