IMDb > The Door (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Die Tür

The Door More at IMDbPro »Die Tür (original title)

A gripping and philosophical drama with a multitude of influences

Author: kluseba from Gatineau, Canada
11 April 2011

This movie is easily the best German movie I have seen in the last three years. It is a haunting and atmospheric drama with some science-fiction elements, an eerie touch of suspense and even psychological horror as well as some action scenes. This flick has also a strong philosophical character without being too educative. The gripping question of fate and morality may affect you way beyond this movie and I thought about this intense film many days after I have watched it first.

Normally, I hardly give elevated ratings but everything feels right about the movie. The acting of the movie is simply great. Let's point out that Mads Mikkelsen is playing the role of his life and proves once again that he is a great actor that is able to improve every time again and again. He is amongst my favourite actors now. There are many promising German actors that are delivering more than solid jobs here.

The scenario of this movie is based on a novel and filled with complex actions, cliffhangers and twists, just like a great book. I am really looking forward to read the novel now and though I can't yet compare both, I feel that the movie was intense, detailed and diversified. What I really find fascinating is that the movie, even though the main plot is based on a fictional idea that one could associate to a science-fiction or fantasy movie, the whole flick seems real, authentic and down to earth. The mixture is unique and credible. The movie is not about a magic door that leads to the past or present. This little and only fantastic detail helps to kick the whole story off and one is quickly face to face with situations that mix dreams and reality, wishes and deceptions, hopes and despairs so that one doesn't care about whether the introduction is not fitting or too unreal. This movie is not about something exactly supernatural, it's a lot about the true human character and its ideologies and behaviours.

The movie has what I consider a perfect structure, it slowly introduces the main characters and creates more and more a creepy atmosphere with some weird, surprising and shocking scenes that lead to a dramatic, emotional and action filled ending. You really get drowned into the whole story and feel with the characters.

The way the movie is filmed is full of details and the angels and close ups add a lot to the atmosphere of the film. The movie score underlines the incredible and creative story that starts as a drama and ends as a psychological thriller that is more intense than many horror flicks.

I highly recommend this brilliant and explosive mixture that touches your heart, your nerves and your brain. Spread the word about this rather unknown European flick that should gain worldwide attention as it has now come out in North America and the rest of the world.

It's a mad, mad, Mads, Mads world.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
25 September 2011

Mads Mikkelsen stars in this highly impressive German sci-fi movie that uses one fantastical element to explore some dark and disturbing material, though superficially it may not seem all that unsettling until a finale that really piles on the revelations and forces you to think about all of the possible repercussions.

Mikkelsen plays David, an artist who's life takes a turn for the worse after the accidental death of his daughter. He blames himself, his wife blames him, it's his fault. He really shouldn't have popped along the street to have sex with a neighbour. Five years later, after he tries to kill himself, David follows a butterfly to a passageway that leads to a door that leads to . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . five years in the past. He may have a chance to save his daughter's life and fix his life. But what will that mean for the other version of David still oblivious to all of these strange developments and how will it affect David's daughter, wife and friends?

Anno Saul directs this headscratcher and does so without any unnecessary razzle dazzle. The concept itself is solid and the way in which we see David dealing with his new situation is both easy to follow and also intriguing as some interesting twists and turns occur.

The script by Jan Berger, based on text by Akif Pirincci, helps a lot with the way in which the plot unfurls without feeling too leisurely or too rushed. It's a rather simple tale, in essence, with a lot of moral complexity that grows and grows throughout.

Mikkelsen is superb in the main role, really showing a range of emotions as the man who gets a chance to put his life right and then begins to worry about the ramifications. Jessica Schwarz is equally good as his wife and Valeria Eisenbart does very well as the little girl who starts to suspect that her daddy is slightly different. In fact, everyone on screen is excellent.

All in all, this is an excellent sci-fi that really just uses a sci-fi plot device to keep the focus on drama and an exploration of human nature. It's worthwhile viewing and contains a lot that will make you ponder it long after the credits have rolled.

Drama to Suspense to Spooky...

Author: TotallyBlunt from Turkey
27 August 2010

First I want to say that I have a couple of problems with the plot, some points that have got snagged in my mind and made me wonder, "But why didn't the writer...?". This is one of those times when I wish I had read the book (if there was a book) before watching the film to see if those points arise from the story or how the story was translated into film, but that would obviously defeat the purpose and kill the suspense, so I am better off having seen the film first. Let me say, seeing the film from beginning to end, I forgive those snags.

I will not repeat what the plot summary says. I just want to add that I liked the light world/dark world division, the secrets the supposedly light world hides and perhaps its reflections unto real world. I like the acting in general, the relatively slow pace of a thriller and how that slowness, without actually pacing up, makes the heart pace up and pulls the watcher into it. It's a make believe that you get lost in.

I wonder why there isn't a poster submitted to this web site, why the actors don't have photographs and why there isn't much buzz about the film. I wish the worldwide movie producers made use of a popular web site like this.

Moving story around time travel. The usually annoying paradoxes do not stand in the way of enjoying it fully

Author: JvH48 from Amersfoort, The Netherlands
24 April 2011

I saw this film as part of the "Imagine" film festival 2011 in Amsterdam. It's about time travel, and the usual unavoidable paradoxes make me cringe on average. Don't ask me, for instance, how and why the main character moves 5 years back in time to arrive exactly a few minutes before the dramatic drowning of his daughter. Of course (?), he arrives just in time to rescue her and to literally start a new life. And then he suddenly meets his five years younger counterpart...

Though similar issues could be spotted at will, this time there were so many compensating factors that I completely looked past them. We see normal human beings act in their environment, a well-to-do villa neighborhood, with no technical hocus pocus in sight. Several moving moments in the story will entertain a wide audience. You have to trust me in this, as I cannot tell more without spoiling.

When leaving the theater, I gave an "excellent" score for the public prize competition. The average geek who is in constant need of technicalities and gadgets, won't have much fun. But every other "normal" viewer will be satisfied with the casting, the acting, and the setting. Go see it for yourself, and bring your family with you. Don't be afraid that the usual time travel devices will come in the way, since there aren't any.

A sentimental thriller

Author: milenniumpoet
1 December 2010

I enjoyed very much this movie as it was a blend between dark and fantasy. The actors fitted the roles and I liked the game between the "old" and "new" characters. What I liked the most was the fact that the movie was not predictable and had a touch of sensibility, which most movies nowadays tend to miss. As an European movie I recommend it without hesitation and the thriller part was blended perfectly with the dark story. As a minor observation I can add that the story could have gone a bit darker without fading away the sensibility of the father- daughter relationship. In this light, I think the movie can be improved, but the written part on which is based I think succeeds as a story. So if you want a quality movie, with an imaginative story and good actors, this is the right movie for you.

There are no other worlds, unfortunately, for the ones who lose a loved one

Author: nicnik6 from Romania
23 January 2015

This is a film in which the main character has to kill himself, carry the weight of his own body (and guilt-ridden mind), bury himself, unbury himself, flee from the sad truth and save what he can, but what can he? The sad truth, the conclusion of the movie is, for the ones who want to understand, that there are no other worlds, unfortunately. There is only one world, or only one truth in any better possible worlds, and this truth is that once somebody is dead, you cannot undo that, you cannot bring them to you and live with them in the same world. Not together, no! But to understand this you have to watch the film up to its final moment and see that the two are still bereft and nothing is actually better, except for the fact that now they realize it too. They think they have changed something. They want to think this and they need to think this, and so do we, as we all want our second chances.

Mads Mikkelsen is an outstanding actor, incredible in every way, and while I admit I watched the movie just to see him perform in one more role, I must give credit to this story which is so full of symbols and so full of meaning. I strongly recommend The Door both for its theme and for its actors. It is perfectly watchable and it will give some food for thought even to those who don't really appreciate science fiction and/ or mystery.

Don't look back

Author: Igor Shvetsov (i.shvetsov@gmail.com) from Lusaka, Zambia
6 February 2014

Interesting and unpredictable new take on the Invasion of the Body Snatchers set in a small and cozy community with a vague national identity (the neighborhood is located in a somewhat hypothetical European country).

Tense, often disturbing and occasionally scary, but nevertheless fascinating and heartbreaking psychological drama trying to address (and raising even more) eternal and complex questions, most people use to ask themselves, at least once in a lifetime:

- what shall I do if I find a secret pathway led to relive my life?;

- what price am I ready to pay to be able to slightly re-adjust whatever I have done wrong;

- how far can I go to remedy irreparable and to get back what I have lost?; and perhaps the most essential question:

- do I really want a second chance to be offered?

The story isn't much preoccupied with its fantastic premise, doesn't care about "butterfly effect" aspect and effortlessly tackles the "time travel paradox" issues in its own grim fashion. Yet it is open for multiple interpretations.

But I'd rather say that this film has reinforced my strong belief that some doors are better left locked forever.

...you reap what you sow in the village of the damned

Author: bcheng93 from ny ny
4 May 2014

let's start off by saying that Mads Mikkelsen has never been in a bad or unwatchable movie and he just continues to impress with every movie that he gets involved in. in case you've never heard of him, he was the main baddie in " casino royale ", he was one of arthurs swordsmen in " King Arthur " and i thought he really stood out among the other ensemble leads in that movie. last year he was the co-lead along with Shia Leboeuf in " the necessary death of Charlie Countryman ". Uber talented actor and finally getting worldwide attention and in my opinion one of our planets finest male actors. just look at that face...it shows so many emotions and he can do everything and has done everything from comedy to action.

this is one of the best movies i have watched in a long time and, i had been saving this movie for a while cause i knew it was going to be a good movie and boy!...,it sure didn't disappoint. the genre of this movie is very hard to describe, i would say it is a sci-fi, fantasy, suspense, thriller and finally drama.

as soon as you turn on the movie you are hooked into the story. the story is about a famous married artist(Mikkelsen) and his wife who works for a major pharmaceutical company and they have a lovely 7 year old daughter. while his wife is out working, he works from his home and also watches over the daughter when she is home. he has a very bad problem or addiction where he is not a one woman guy. he often slips out while at home watching his daughter to go to a neighbors house and shag her. the neighbor threatens to tell his wife if he breaks up this arrangement. during one of these trysts his daughter slips in the huge backyard close to the pool, with her shoelaces untied and she falls into the pool and her laces get caught in a filter at the bottom of the pool. Mikkelsen comes back from the neighbors house just not in time to save his little girl...cause he couldn't undo the laces that were caught in the filter. she dies and his already rocky marriage crumbles( the wife knows that he has cheated on her many times).

cut 5 years down the line and the artist is now a shell of a man and his wife has remarried his best friend and former student. he regrets what has happened terribly, so much in fact where he has tried to commit suicide and is literally a functioning bum. one night he goes to his ex- wifes place just so he can see her...but she doesn't want to see him cause it causes to much pain, but she still cares about him. he leaves and goes back to their old house and in the yard he jumps in the pool and tries to kill himself. he looked particularly bad that night, that worried his ex-wife so she tells her husband(former student and still best friend) to go and make sure hes OK. suffice to say that his friend gets there in time and jumps in and pulls him out. they separate and he wanders around till he gets to a spot where there is a lot of shrubs and bushes and he spots a hidden entrance.

something makes him go in and it turns into a dark gloomy tunnel. he continues down the tunnel till hes almost at the end and he can actually see a ratty wooden door. he opens the door and by opening the door he gets a chance at redeeming his past life(5 years ago) and starting over. but wait...has he actually opened up a Pandoras box?????

shows you that you can make movies at minimal budgets and still have it be a world class movie. all the leads were great, you really got into the movie and the minimal score was awesome, it set the tone so well in every situation in the movie. good movies like this need to be seen by more people, but alas, it rarely does, every-bodies into watching big budget blockbusters or silly over-gored horror movies or dumb comedies.

again...this was an awesome movie and i'm still thinking about it and it will not be a movie i will forget, as a matter of fact every movie with Mads in it i remember, even when he gets minor roles the guy still stands out. Mads, you rock!

A truly awesome film that deserves a wider audience

Author: Thomas Aitken from New Zealand
17 April 2012

I had never heard of this film before renting it from the DVD store, but by the time the final credits rolled, man I was glad that I had found this little cinematic gem in the weekly DVD section.

The acting was great, the cinematography was awesome, the score was pitch perfect, and the script and pacing were excellent.

This story could have easily become a complicated mess of constantly reappearing Mads Mikkelsen's, but instead it opted for a more simple approach to time travel/alternate dimension theories, and in turn focused on building a really clever and strong plot line, rather than one with lots and lots of twists related to nothing more than an ever-repeating act of time travel.

I also really liked the fact that this film avoided the trap of becoming a fatalistic and depressing black hole - something that it could have easily spiraled into with such heavy subject matter - instead it maintains and ends with a strong sense of hope.

The only reason I didn't give this film the full 10 stars was because I felt the two sex scenes were just gratuitous, rather than actually needed (it seems to be a German film making requirement to have at least one graphic sex scene per film nowadays).

One of the best European productions

Author: Mdln DeHond from Canada
15 January 2011

One of the best European productions i have seen this year and absolutely Deutsche Grundlichkeit!

When distraught artist Mikkelsen finds a door to a parallel world 5 years back in time he tries to set right what went wrong and it looks to go his way. The story line makes sense from beginning till end in this top smart suspense script with superb performance by Danish sexiest man of the year Mikkelsen and Schwartz as his wife. This story burns slow, but fastidious, and it twists and twists and twists.

A perfect world is only one layer away from disaster is one that applies here and as said by André Maurois:a man cannot free himself from the past more easily than he can from his own body.