A trick backfires when the Smurfs pretend to have aged during one of Lazy's naps and he innocently gives them a reverse-aging potion which lands some very little Smurfs in Gargamel's stewpot.
Did You Know?
"Smurf Van Winkle" was latter adapted as a comic story under the title "L'Étrange Réveil du Schtroumpf Paresseux" ("The Strange Awakening of Lazy Smurf" in English) in 1991. Differences from the original cartoon episode, include:
- Lazy thought he slept for about two hundred years, while in the cartoon original, he thought he slept for at least three hundred years.
- Papa Smurf was aware of the prank the Smurfs played against Lazy and went along with it, claiming the he did not age greatly in the two hundred years that Lazy was absent from the Smurf Village. In the cartoon version, the Smurfs pulled the prank without Papa Smurf's knowledge.
- Lazy knew early on that he was a victim of an elaborate prank when he accidentally heard some of the Smurfs boast about it. In the cartoon version, Lazy found out when he saw the Smurfs turned into Smurflings (and their fake beards on the dining room) after they ate the blue "donuts" he made from a youth potion in the belief that by making them "young," he will not be doing all the work for them.
- As a counter prank against the Smurfs who pulled the prank against him, Lazy falsely claimed that he secretly gave them a youth potion that will make them young. Unfortunately for him, they believed him and quickly went to Gargamel's hovel to find a potion to return them to their own ages. In the cartoon version, the Smurfs who were turned into Smurflings went to Gargamel's home looking for someone to play with.
- The Smurfs who went to Gargamel's home produced an aging potion that will return them to their ages there, while in the cartoon version, Papa Smurf produced it in his laboratory.
- Gargamel drank the aging potion and became two hundred years older while ignoring the warning by the Smurfs. He believed they made a youth potion. In the cartoon version, he became very old (age unspecified) when the contents of the soup spilled on him after sprinkling a bottle that he thought was seasoning on the de-aged Smurfs, but was actually an aging potion put there by Papa Smurf that will return them to their normal ages.