IMDb > Wild Cherry (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wild Cherry

Wild Cherry More at IMDbPro »

It's like a really watered down version of 'American Pie' w/o the nudity...

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
4 July 2011

When you try to make the female equivalent to one of the most raunchiest comedies of all-time (American Pie), shouldn't it be at least risqué? There is no nudity to speak of in Wild Cherry (yeah, we see the guys strip down and cover their naughty bits) and that's a bit of false advertising to me. It's not like I look for nudity in all the films that I watch... but I do expect them to be there in the raunchy teen sex comedies. It's like not having any blood in a Friday the 13th movie. It's like not having any cool gadgets to marvel over in a James Bond film. It's just wrong on so many levels.

The movie even started out promising enough, because Katyln Chase (Willis) is doing a documentary on teenage sex. Asking probing questions to other High School students about their first time, whether or not they had an orgasm, etc. That's when they come across a cheerleader (Moss) that tells them about "The Bang Book" and they should "just go ahead and lose theirs (virginity) so the team can win the big game and go to finals." The virgin girls (Willis, Raymonde, Cavallari) make a pact and try to get other students involved by holding secret meetings in the auditorium. Whereas American Pie is all about losing your virginity, Wild Cherry is about keeping your virginity.

It even tries to be raunchy but fails miserably. Even if American Pie was raunchy and disgusting, it was still set up and perfectly executed to make the film funny. Here, someone does a vile, disgusting act with an ice cube tray for no reason whatsoever. No set up, no explanation, just gross. And when the ice cube tray does get used... the person stops the victim from drinking and explains what is so wrong with the trays. It's quite possibly one of the worst set up/punchline I've ever seen in a movie. There are several other examples of bad screen writing and some of the dumbest characters I've ever had the displeasure of meeting, but I don't want to spoil it for you in case you want to torture yourselves.

About the only redeeming qualities this movie has is found in Rob Schneider and Tia Carrere. Schneider stars as Helen's dad, who is trying to get her to stay after she graduates and is also trying to teach her about sex. He does a good job with what he's got to work with and it's a shame that there was a missed opportunity with a joke involving him and a carrot. Tia Carrere is a teacher at the school and also runs a bookstore in town. I'm not sure what subject she teaches (although, I would be interested in taking it) and she has the best over-the-top performance in the film while in her 'secret garden', located in the back room of the bookstore. More reviews at www.soveryterry.com Final Grade: D

Absolutely Terrible, Not Funny or Sexy

Author: gavin6942 from United States
11 June 2011

A virginal high school senior (Tamia Raymonde) decides to get revenge on her jock boyfriend when she discovers he's only dating her in hopes that she will end up in his team's "bang book".

Not sure what to make of this film. The movie seems to be presented as a comedy, but it really is not funny. Even Rob Schneider does not help -- and it is not his fault, as they give him nothing to work with (a complete waste of such talent). But I want to complain about Matt MacNabb for a moment.

MacNabb, a writer for DVDLegion.Com, is quoted in the press release as saying "American Pie has nothing on Wild Cherry." You, sir, are a terrible reviewer. I am by no means a fan of "American Pie", but it is far and away the better film. "Wild Cherry" just had no funny moments, and despite being full of teen girls in various states of undress, just is not sexy.

A few times it comes close to emulating "Van Wilder", particularly with a very disgusting use of male juices. But it is just gross and not funny at all. Who is this film catering to? It is not realistic, it is not silly, it is not consisting of anything redeeming whatsoever.

With Rumer Willis (Ashton Kutcher's stepdaughter), Tamia Raymonde ("Lost") and the girl from "The Hills", this should draw in your attention. I mean, you know, that is some decent star power. But again, completely wasted. That the film is dated 2009 but is only getting released in 2011 says something. And that something is this: it is not good.

Pleasantly surprised

Author: GrammarMatters from Canada
11 April 2009

I started watching this with low expectations thinking it might provide a little titillation and I expected I would fast forward through it and delete it from my PVR very quickly, but this movie was quite watchable and I got drawn into the characters.

It was enjoyable and before I knew it the movie was over and I really enjoyed the underlying message of learning about sexuality. This movie is so much more than many of the teen sex romps and as an extremely liberal person about sexuality I recommend this movie for all teens of any age as a fun and responsible learning experience.

I was surprised upon reading about this movie here at IMDb that it was filmed in Canada. It doesn't have that "made in Canada" feel to it.

I really do suggest you give this movie a chance. It has a bunch of attractive female and male actors and it is well done.

PoP - Power of the ..

Author: kosmasp
4 July 2013

Although I'm not sure it lives completely up to the song performed midway through the movie. There is something essential in here, but it does not deliver completely on this premise. I like the actors in this though (mostly the women that is), because they have a chance to play with some nice themes. I'm also pleasantly surprised that I kinda liked Rob Schneider in this movie.

The comedy works quite good. Though I'm not sure what to make of Tia Carreras character and her efforts to move the story along. It is necessary, but on the other hand, it feels more than off. Still not half as bad as you might expect it to be

The next in a long line of teen-sex ("American Pie" rip-off) comedies. Absolutely nothing new. Have seen worse. I say C

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
25 June 2011

"Let's teach these guys a lesson, it's pay back time." After a group of girls discover a book that the school football team has that lists the schools virgin girls and the player that is supposed to "check them off" they decide its up to them to stop the tradition. The girls decide not to have sex at all until the season if over, while the boys try everything they can to complete the task. This movie is nothing new at all. The typical high school movie where everyone wants to lose their virginity, complete with the over protective father (Schneider). If you have kids in high school I would be very leery about watching this one. It seems that everyone (even the virgins) are obsessed with sex and find it very difficult to hold out for the entire 3 months of the football season. The thing that always gets me is that they always seem to cast people that are in their early 20's to play the high school students, and the over the top parties and dances are so unrealistic that some kids are disappointed when they get to an actual high school. That part aside this type of movie has been done a million times, most funnier then this one so don't expect anything really new. Overall, I have seen worse movies from this genre. A few laughs, but pretty much the same jokes that have been in every movie like this (yes, the kid experimenting with food and the surprise in your drink scenes are in this one too). I give it a C.

Would I watch again? - Not this one, but I'm sure that 100 more just like this one will be made.

*Also try - American Pie & The Virginity Hit

Not bad

Author: rgcustomer from Canada
10 May 2009

This is a teen sex comedy, similar in feel to American Pie, but with a subtle Canadian flavour. This is one genre of film that Canada seems to do well with over the decades. In this one, at high school, a group of virgin girls discover that the boys are interested in them only because of a list in a "bang book" which supposedly will help them win their football games. So they organize to withhold sex until the season is over. I expected the film to be either overly preachy or overly lewd, but it chose a middle path, combining sexual humour with a literal feel-good story. Don't get me wrong... there are the expected gross-out scenes, and the expected serious messages. But they don't beat you over the head with them. Manitoba seems an unlikely place where this film would be made, but they obviously know something about film-making there. While this gives me hope for Canadian film, which so often disappoints me, I wonder if these particular skills will be applicable to more serious film fare. Still, I look forward to seeing what they do next.