The Inbetweeners (TV Series 2008–2010) Poster

(2008–2010)

45 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
The best TV comedy for 2008!
russellcarvell20 October 2008
The story revolves around Will, a 6th year student who changes school, and tries to 'fit in' with a bunch of equally geeky types. This series made me laugh out loud several times per episode, which is a rare thing for me. It recaptures all the embarrassing awkwardness of late-teen school, where boys are just preoccupied with self-image, and getting laid. This series is very cleverly written, with lots of painful observations, and excellent characters, brilliantly played. I gave it ten out of ten, as nothing has come close to beating it this year. I would've given it 11, it's THAT good. We eagerly await a second series, and it can't come quick enough.
55 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the new generation comedy, fresh.
kern32116 May 2008
The Inbetweeners is a breath of fresh air to comedy programs, not over the top stupidity, nor do you have to be at all intellectual to find it funny, the plot revolves around 4 young students entering sixth form and follows there days as your average teenager, its the great mix of characters which makes this worth your time in watching as i'm sure most people can relate to one of the 4, based in the UK the "average" group of friends find them selves in all sorts of awkward, embarrassing and often hilarious moments which all of us would have probably encountered sometime or another in our teen years,I hope to see more of these new actors in the future, this series is just what we needed, a comedy of the new generation.
84 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You will laugh your a** off!
arj-811 June 2008
i watched this for the first time with low expectations despite seeing the adverts for it on e4 i thought that it couldn't be as funny as it looked.

How wrong i was this is a hilarious take on growing up as a teenager no matter where your from everyone can relate to the story. Everyone has a mate who over exaggerates on their sexual exploits! Not to give too much away but i would definitely recommend that you give this a go!

I think if this is seen on a mainstream channel this could be a serious hit!

I challenge someone to watch this and try not to laugh, i failed after about 2minutes!
64 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very FUNNY with great story line!!!! A+
go-harryo25 December 2010
I watched this show by accident, thought it was something else. I was immediately hooked and wanted more. Unfortunately, out here in America we only get an edited cut down version, so I had to start searching online for complete original UK versions. It was not easy to find but was well worth the effort. Now I understand they have begun to make an American version; No way in "hell" will it be able to stand up to the original UK series. The show has non stop laughs and situations that almost anyone can relate to. Hopefully the American version doesn't hurt the good name "The Inbetweeners". Also wish channel4.com would allow streaming on demand in for us fans in the US. BEWARE if you watch one episode, you'll be an instant fan. Great job channel 4!!!
32 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious and truer than we'd often want to admit.
Ian Taylor28 April 2009
A couple of mates with similar senses of humour got me into this during the second series and I have gone back and unearthed the first series. Well worth the effort! British comedy is alive and well in the cult shadows! This is hilarious because it represents a comedic image of how tragic most of our lives were as teenagers. It pulls off the awesome trick of being cool whilst proudly boasting central characters who aren't cool. They're not always nice, even. But they ARE true - and you've gotta love 'em for it! Check this out and laugh your nuts off, whilst guiltily hiding the fact that you were either as lovable yet pathetic as the heroes or as cool, snide and, deep-down, insecure as the bullies.
41 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant!
kikkapi2017 August 2014
Just brilliant...

Painfully reminiscent of my own teenage years, The Inbetweeners is an unbelievably funny look into the lives of four awkward teenage misfits. Very cleverly written and very funny, it's a show I can watch over and over again and cry with laughter just like I did when I first watched it.

The Inbetweeners is a fantastically written British comedy that has quirky and well developed characters and entertaining plots to boot. Don't deprive yourself of this brilliant comedy - go on YouTube now and start watching. You won't regret it.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Strangely realistic
Mark-13842 June 2008
It's a common problem of sitcoms that they strain credibility so far in the search for laughs that I have to turn off in irritation. The Inbetweeners manages the twin achievements of a very realistic portrait of horny teenage boys and *funny*. Perhaps because of the commitment to reality. For example, the boys actually talk like me and my mates did at that age; no fecks or fudging, if you know what I mean.

The characters are finely observed, from the clever-ish but slightly pretentious Will to the potty mouthed Jay, and superbly acted; no Eastenders hamming here.

This should be a massive hit, if it gets shown on a major channel.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inbetween good and great
VictorianCushionCat16 April 2009
For the first time in my life I've found a reason to turn to the E4 channel, never thought that would happen.

Inbetweeners wins because it's often very funny in a way that you find yourself laughing out loud, in my case, because it relates strongly to what my mates and I got up to in our school years.

True it is full of horrible characters, not least the ultra cynical teacher Mr Gilbert, but as I remember school, it was actually packed with arrogant yet insecure individuals and this show hits that spot on.

I would agree and it's no surprise being on 'yoof' orientated E4, that the show may be geared to the school of making 'hip' comedy, which I not a fan of, but then at the same time it's an often very funny show, so all is forgiven.
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Definitely not for the faint hearted, gut bustingly hilarious for everyone else
davideo-223 August 2009
STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

Will (Simon Bird) is a privately educated, well spoken young man who for reasons beyond his own control is moved to a state comprehensive school, where his middle class mannerisms and appearance gain him a less than warm welcome from the other pupils. However, he soon makes some new 'friends' in the shape of Jay (James Buckley) a rather unpleasant young man with a disturbing obsession with all things sexual, Neil (Blake Harrison) a gormless looking young man whose father displays unfortunate homosexual tendencies and Simon (Joe Thomas) the most well rounded of the trio and their only means of getting around with his 'sh!tty little yellow car', the uncoolest yellow vehicle in a British sitcom since Del Boy's Reliant Robbin. We follow this comically mismatched group around as they stumble from one misadventure to another with hilarious consequences.

It's interesting to note the path British sitcoms have taken in the last thirty years or so, from being the sort of stuff you could comfortably show repeats of on daytime telly nowadays to the alternative comedy that tends to find it's slot late at night on Channel 4. Art imitates life, though, not the other way round, and so this is really just a reflection on changing social attitudes and society in general more than anything. And so we have The Inbetweeners, which hits you like a hammer with it's sheer excessiveness, which, shockingly just makes it even funnier.

It's actually quite a high concept idea of a posh looking/speaking young man and placing him with ordinary looking teenagers of today, and even more subversive to make everything so gratuitous. But clever writing makes this show as much as anything else, coming mainly from Bird's continuous voice overs each episode, where he runs over the pratfalls of everything the group have found themselves in with a great condescending tone. A running trade mark of the show is for him to let rip at the end at how ridiculous or unfair something he has got caught up in is (apart from one where he launches some drunken homophobic abuse at Neil's dad!) as well as to have a recap at the end of each episode on the events that have just gone past where the most hilarious line ('inconsiderate arseholes', 'bumder!', 'will you stop staring at my t!ts?') somehow hits home all the harder.

A relentless onslaught of foul language, crude sexual referencing, cynical cruelty and outrageous indecency, The Inbetweeners is a thoroughly depressing, but well written and very funny, reflection of young people today. Well, some...****
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Inbetweeners- Witty and Funny
mancheva-vassilena10 November 2010
The Inbetweeners for me is a quality, witty, and funny situation comedy, that tackles teenager's issues ( such as relationships, friendships, sexuality, alcohol and drug abuse) in a very comic way. It's well scripted, and the choice of actors is good as well. The misfortunes that keep happening to the main four characters(Will, Jay, Simon and Neil) entertain us- the audience, and keep us laughing pretty much throughout the whole programme. Every new commissioning of the programme series is well accepted of the viewers. I think that a reason for this is that each one of us has once been a teenager, and engages themselves with the lives of these characters.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So so funny....
osman9874 June 2010
Anything that has ever happened to any teenager, is mercilessly inflicted upon the four main characters, in a manner which is absolutely hilarious. The characters are portrayed in a manner which is not realistic, but conforms to the stereotypes, giving them strong character, and only increasing the humour of the show, and the circumstances they are put through are masterfully crafted, in a parody of life in the sixth form. You will be sitting laughing so much you cannot breathe, especially with a group of your mates. This show is well worth getting!As a side note, the humour in Inbetweeners is most certainly not for family viewing, containing strong language, and jokes of a sexual nature. Roll on season 3....
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Briefcase W…..
HeidiELove24 August 2014
Will (Simon Bird) is the new kid who transfers in from private to public school and finds it difficult to adjust as he eventually joins a group of outcasts.

How can anyone find this show not hilarious? It is British comedy and tremendously vulgar!!!! An acquired taste, like their Movies. But I'm talking about the TV Series here. I originally got dragged to their first movie and found it that hilarious I went and bought their 3 Seasons. It's one of these shows you can watch over and over again. OK the subject matter at times may seem to step over the mark but when they do make fun of the Disadvantgaged it usually falls back in all their faces, making them look like total losers. The show has received considerable acclaim in the U.K. and did win the 2008 British Comedy Award! Also whether purposely Directed the continuity of the show is terrible in a way - check out that Extra being recycled 12 times in different clothing and Kethcup disappearing and reappearing in a jokingly fashion. This show is rude, crude and your Mother would probably be mortified but its the invention of a new kind of "Bad Mouth wording" that makes it totally disgustingly unique. It really does pot ray the real Teenage life-style and battling struggles of being in the UK public school system.
A scarily-accurate portrayal of the Age Group
darth_timon6 August 2014
When you're 16, you no longer feel like you're a kid. You feel you're worthy of greater respect, that you are in fact, an adult. Legally though, you are NOT an adult. You are beyond certain rules but still trapped by others - you're 'inbetween' childhood and adulthood, so the show's title is certainly accurate.

So to is the awkwardness you feel at that age. The desire to fit in yet also somehow be distinctive enough to get noticed by the opposite sex. You end up running a huge gauntlet of emotions every day, and this show captures this experience beautifully.

I couldn't help but empathise with the characters, even as I laughed out loud at their stupidity and antics. In almost every scene I could see myself at that age, and snort with laughter as they missed the obvious right under their noses.

It's a great show, both very funny, and also remarkably accurate about that time of our lives when we are not kids anymore, but not quite adults.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic comedy, great scripts and great acting
Peter Clark3 August 2014
This is a sitcom series well worth seeing. Not only does it outline the desperation of people in the late teens, but it continuously pokes fun at gulf in social stereotyping at that age too. The situations the four boys find themselves in never grows tired as each individual scenario is both different and hilarious. A must see! It is worth watching them in chronological order as there is underlying back story to a certain degree, but single episodes can be watched as there isn't continuation. The lives of the four boys intertwine to such an extent that their actions invariably affect the life of one of the other's and their interactions and efforts regarding women certainly are pure comic genius. Great comedy and good character building will leave you in stitches guaranteed!!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not surprised it has such a good rating.
Just-Being-Me7 March 2014
I think this show is one of the funniest on TV now days, i am sick of seeing comedy shows get on TV that are not funny, that have people on who make it obvious they are trying to get a laugh out of people. This show makes it natural, this is bound to make you laugh out loud. It has it all... humour, a geek, a shy guy, a dumb guy, a sex mad guy and more, i love this.

People might not like this because it is full of rude comments, swearing etc but that is what makes it what it is... funny. The actors are great at playing their parts, i think it is brilliantly put together.

Definitely deserves a 8 out of 10... at least.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent comedy, had me laughing out loud
daneagauthier16 September 2012
First came across this show in the "People who liked this show also like.." section of IMDb (love that tool, it's just like the recommendations side bar of youtube, brings you to great things) Anywho, I watched the movie, thought it was alright. However I like the show much better. Honestly had me laughing out loud at least a couple times for each episode. It's a very crude sense of humour though, so if you don't find that funny, chances are you won't like the show.

As much as I would have liked more episodes, I think the amount there were was fitting. It never got too out of hand.

All in all, excellent show. good for some laughs. I will definitely be checking out some other British comedies. I've seen some commercials for the new MTV version of this show. I can't imagine how they'll do it. I haven't seen Skins (either UK or American) but apparently MTV didn't do it justice. I think the issue is that the American version of the show they bleep out all the swears and blur out certain body parts. Like I mentioned earlier, this show has a crude sense of humour. You just can't do crude and be censored. However as a fan of this show I'll check it out just to see how they do.

ANYWAYS, this show if great. check it out if you haven't yet.
No one Has Seen This Here
thaking25324 March 2010
In looking at the reviews for this show, I saw that only one person outside of the U.K. had reviewed it. Although I didn't agree with there comparison to That 70'S Show, I did agree that this show is hilarious. I have a problem trying to compare it to anything, because I don't think there's anything comparable to it on American television. I guess the biggest thing that sets it apart from American shows, is the dialouge. With word's like sh*t, spunk, bender, bell end, and many others being thrown out so often. It makes me wonder what differences there are in the ratings systems in the U.K. On the B.B.C channel its rated tv14. But if it were an American show it would have to be TVMA. I'm not complaining though. But the premise of the show is a pretty tried an true one, teens trying to get laid, drunk, and all the other things that pop into the adolescent mind. Plenty of laughs, highly recommended.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Show!
koncusion26 July 2012
Just finished the 3rd season and it was f****** funny as s***. It's a shame the show only lasted 3 seasons and didn't show up on American TV tell recently. I really loved the difference in British language. It took me a while to catch on to what some of their words meant. I do have to say that it's a little unclear between the movie and the show what happened because i thought Simon was moving away. The best difference is the drinking age. Wish that was the same in America. The throw up was probably the funny part cause it always seemed to happen when things went badly. Glad to know the British can party hard. Well done!!! Well done!!!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
World Class
gmarron0415 September 2010
I first watched The Inbetweeners when my mate received it for his birthday the first two series. I think it absolutely excellent the guys who have made the show have gave us non stop laughs. Will, Jay, Neil and Simon are excellent. Along with Carly and Charlotte and of course Teacher Gilbert. I think the show has got better and better has the series have been done from 1- too current series 3.

My personally favourite is work experience when Will goes to work in an Garage. That episode is class!! I have both series 1 and 2. I will be ordering 3 and definitely getting the film!!

Any people who like to laugh at normal life will love this E4 Production and I can't wait till the film comes out!! Where the lads go to Crete!! Loving it!! Gary
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hall of Fame Material
FloodClearwater27 August 2015
Imagine an NSFW, R-rated, bizarro Freaks and Geeks that hammers home hilarious, raw, biting bro-humor with the gliding, staccato meter of a Ricky Gervais. Imagine that, and you've dreamed up the hidden gem that is The Inbetweeners.

This 18 episode comedy series concerns 16 year old school boys in modern Britain and stars Simon Bird. As Bird plays his lead role of "Will," we might imagine that Walter Matthau, Ben Stiller, Jason Schwartzman, and John Cusack each agreed to donate their seed to a pregnancy clinic which then recombinated their DNA and quadrophonically embryonized Bird in the womb of either Mindy Kaling or Tina Fey.

Bird's light comic assault on everything and all as cameras roll is that unstoppable.

Joining Bird as his friend and foxhole mate is Joe Thomas, cast as the 'blue eyed soul' and the 'least likely to pleasure himself' of the group of school society survivors Bird's "Will" eventually reforges.

The language is raw. The anxieties and the scene set ups, as we can so ruefully remember from our own school days, are all too real.

If there is a Hall of Fame for British televised comedies, The Inbetweeners gets in on the first ballot.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely love it...but for younger viewers parents should get mixed feelings
skylineturner_r114 June 2012
seeing as they don't play this here in the states yet....yet meaning until we mess this up like the office and skins..id love to have some suggestions for a show like this....i am currently watching Phoneshop and Friday Night Dinner.....i know this isn't a review but suggestions would be greatly appreciated because our television is just horrible.....and please don't recommend Geordie Shore cause I've watched it and liked it much more than our Jersy shore ......again thanks.....if you'd like my review......THIS IS THE GREATEST SHOW EVER!!! finding another show with such a great cast from top to bottom from Simon to Donovan to Mr gilbert these actors are surprisingly good, just stunning to see such a complete cast for a television series that only went 3 very very funny seasons. I've tried very hard to get people here in the states to watch it but i don't think it will happen until we butcher it on MTV. but if you have never watched this id highly recommend this seeing as i watch series 1-3 and the movie at least twice a week....
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
On point
mab05117 August 2017
Sometimes a show gives you things you want. Sometimes a show doesn't give you things you want. And sometimes you have to write a bunch of BS just to satisfy the "minimum amount of text," bullocks. Anyways, here comes the fun bit...

THIS SHOW IS ON POINT.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Crude, Cringey, but Ultimately Hilarious.
David Hooley25 July 2017
Wow. Whilst it's a shame there were only ever 3 series' made of the Inbetweeners, that does feel like the perfect amount.

This ongoing tale of 4 best friends is hilarious, rude and often awkward from day one until the very end.

Every single day there seems to be a new challenge ahead - And of course, challenges which they cannot overcome without some sort of disaster happening.

Certainly in need of the age limit it comes with, but once you watch it, you just won't stop. My parents aren't fans of vulgar humour and explicit jokes, but even they thought this was pure gold.

If you're looking to learn how to get through high school, then look elsewhere.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this