IMDb > The Fourth Kind (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Fourth Kind

The Fourth Kind More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

If you're already on this page before seeing the movie, it's too late.

Author: sgtiger from United States
23 October 2009

I just saw a screening of this movie last night. I didn't know a thing about it when I sat down. By the end of the movie I was sitting in my seat and staring at the screen with hollow eyes.

I looked at my girlfriend and our faces said: "No way... but... no, couldn't be... good god!"

The use of real vs. recreated footage gets you. The sounds in the real footage and recordings will REALLY get you.

Do yourself a favor and don't research the film before you go in. This is a movie that needs to be taken in with a blank and open mind to be appreciated.

I don't care if it is fake, it's still entertainment

Author: moviemanMA from Massachusetts
29 November 2009

A few weeks ago I went to see an independent horror film that was honestly one of the scariest viewing experiences I have ever been apart of. That film is the monster hit Paranormal Activity. Now we have yet another unique viewing experience, this one is The Fourth Kind.

I have never been a huge believer about visitors from other worlds, UFOs, and conspiracy theories, but I must say that if there was ever a film that made me question if only for a second that their might be life out there somewhere, it would be this movie. It starts off with actress Mila Jovovich introducing herself and giving a preface to the film. She says that the film is based entirely on first person encounters and is backed up with evidence both in audio, visual, and in testimonial form.

We are then introduced to Dr. Tyler, the woman who Jovovich is portraying. She is being interviewed by the director Olatunde Osunsanmi. This interview is broken up and played at different points of the film. The look on Dr. Tyler's face alone gives you the impression that the story we are going to be told has obviously wreaked havoc on her life.

We begin after the death of her husband whose mysterious death has yet to be fully resolved. She is working on a sleep study in the town of Nome, Alaska where some of the residents have been telling her about a certain disturbances in the night. One in particular involving an owl outside their windows.

Without ruining too much of the plot and some of the "good" parts, I was pretty impressed with this film. I liked how much emphasis they put on the evidence. Osunsanmi obviously wants there to be no doubt that this movie is perceived not just as a movie but as a document. It's hard to believe that this is based on actual events seeing that some of the "archival evidence" is so startling and shocking. We have all seen videos and pictures of UFOs but these videos and audio clips are by far the most unsettling.

How could this story with all of it's evidence go unnoticed? Wouldn't it have helped Dr. Tyler's case? This so called evidence is so powerful and so unsettling, were it real I would be led to believe a lot of people around the world would reconsider that existence of intelligent life on other worlds.

I've read plenty of reviews calling this film a fraud, a let down, and a disappointment. I on the other hand thought that this was unique, compelling, and disturbing. It's not the scariest movie ever made, but there are certain images that will stay with you for a while. I have given up caring about whether or not this is a real case or if it is partially or entirely fabricated. It's fun, scary, and different. In the end it's a movie, a movie is supposed to entertain and make you think.

Prepare to be lied to by a terrible film.

Author: jemdev1337 from United States
9 November 2009

The Fourth Kind goes to great lengths to convince you that everything in the film has actually happened. The commercials for the film claim it to be a true story, and the movie opens with Milla Jovovich vouching for the truth of the story. No "based on a true story". Milla Jovovich suddenly appears at the beginning of the story amid a spinning camera to inform you, in an all too familiar PSA style, that "Hi, I'm Milla Jovovich, I'm an actor portraying a psychologist". Long story short, her and the director inform you that what you are about to watch is "real" and "serious".

Then the movie plays, and you get shots of the Milla playing her character sharing split screen with the "real" archive footage. The archive footage works for a while, until the story decides to kick in and the footage gets more bizarre. In a method used more conservatively by shows like The X-Files, and films like paranormal activity, the camera cuts out during any action and you get "VHS blur" that obscures the entire screen. The entire screen is obscured for upwards of 30 seconds at a time, and it becomes obvious that they are abusing this effect to avoid using actual special effects.

Actual on-screen special effects are poorly done. They are obviously computer edited, and what's worse is that they consist of effects easily available in consumer level products like Adobe After-effects and Sony Vegas.

The sheriff who works against Milla throughout the film is a terrible actor. Enough said. Milla herself looks more like an owl than the owl aliens her clients report seeing. The film also adds lots of nonsensical morals and metaphors that are completely pointless. I won't spoil anything, but the aliens at one point say "I am... I am ______", blank being the most obvious thing they could say. Of course, this metaphorical plot line is dropped instantly, just to make sure this film has no depth.

And then after several scenes of what is supposed to be Milla Jovovich's character in real life (who looks more like a crack addict than an abductee) the film abruptly ends. We get another PSA scene where Milla Jovovich gives you facts about FBI visits to the town from the film completely taken out of context, (She implies the visits related to abduction, when in fact they related to drinking and exposure to elements related incidents) and then proceeds to inform you that made-up missing little girl was never found.

What would truly be an emotional ending is, however, in no way emotional the second you learn that the film and all the characters were completely fabricated. There is no evidence that any of the characters exist. No one in Nome remembers any of these events. Nome's sheriff which the film informs you couldn't be reached for comment, was in fact reached for comment, in which he reinforced that the movie was nonsense and truly a stain on the town that would hurt tourism.

In the end, it's a truly week film that's only shining grace is that it is a true story.

The only problem being that it isn't.

The worst part of the entire film however, is when the credits roll and the film offers no disclaimer to inform you that it was fictional. The film effectively lies to you. The end.

Great popcorn flick

Author: brittlinder17 from United States
13 November 2009

Why do so many people feel like a movie has to be a life changing event? This movie is a great way to spend 1 1/2 hours. The acting is very good. The "real" vs acting element is well done. Milla does a wonderful job drawing in the audience. The story is fun & the concept is entertaining.

Some movies are done just to provide entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. This is one of those films.

Go with a good attitude and enjoy. There are no life lessons to learn. There is no great revelation. Just go for fun.

Enjoy!

Don't hate on this movie...

Author: tpaladino from United States
4 March 2010

I really delayed seeing this movie because of all the crappy reviews I read on here and in other places. How it was all a hoax and that the filmmakers must think we're idiots and it ruined the whole premise and blah blah blah.

But I just watched it and I honestly can't understand what they're all so pissy about.

Yeah, the 'real' footage is fake, and the viral campaign to make 'Abigail Tyler' internet-real failed. It really, really doesn't matter though. This movie fully accomplished its goal of being super creepy and very unique and entertaining. If the critics would get off their high horse for a minute and actually watch the film then maybe they'd appreciate what they're seeing just a little bit more.

The interweaving of the 'real' footage with the 'movie' footage was a fantastically creative way to drive home the emotional edge that the filmmakers were going for, and it worked superbly. And fake or not, the story is realistic enough to be at least somewhere within the bounds of plausibility for our imagination to make us cringe just a little bit more than we usually do with sci-fi/horror films about zombies or other things that are clearly impossible.

Its obviously not the greatest movie ever made, and Mila Jovovitch isn't the greatest actress ever, but she played her part well, as did everyone else.

Overall this film is very much worth watching, despite what the critics have said. Very entertaining and will definitely leave you thinking about it for a while afterward. Fake or not, what more can you ask for?

What a huge disappointment

Author: Westcoastal from Vancouver, Canada
4 February 2010

This movie was outright terrible. I am amazed at some of the comments and reviews. It's hard to imagine what people see in this piece of garbage. The writing was bad, most of the acting was bad, the story was bad. The choices they made in presenting the material were also unbelievably bad. Showing two actors portraying the same scenes for much of the film was just... I can't even find the words to describe how misguided that was.

The thing is, I was totally willing to suspend disbelief and watch this with an open mind, as I knew in advance it was about alien abductions and therefore would likely have some major silliness in it. But they didn't throw me a single bone in terms of something - anything to cling onto to keep the story believable and engrossing. By halfway through the movie, it was clear that "scary" or "thrilling" was completely out of the question, but I would have settled for "halfway compelling" or at the very least "entertaining". Sadly that wasn't in the cards.

There was only one thing in the entire film that I liked, and that I found creepy. The so-called abductees kept saying they saw an owl outside their window (and it was really creepy when they'd get this look of horror on their face and say, "That's not an owl!!"). The use of the owl as similar in appearance to the typical alien face was, in my opinion, a brilliant move - and it really was creepy. Too bad it was wasted on an otherwise offensively bad film.

Heard any good Sumerian lately?

Author: Seb from United Kingdom
15 November 2009

At the start of the film you are told this is all true, though clearly it isn't. I don't really understand the point of that. It's fair enough to imply it's real but to outright lie about it, that's just a bit desperate.

I quite enjoyed the movie to start with but it falls apart towards the end. The thing is nobody knows what Sumerian sounds like, it's not like you can look at the alphabet and say "that letter looks like an oooh sound" as the writers seem to think. It's a shame that the lazy hacks that put this one together couldn't be bothered to fix this huge and easily remedied plot hole by using Egyptian which would have worked just as well. It didn't spoil the movie for me, but it did serve as a good example of how badly conceived the whole thing was. No wonder they had to go for a stunt to sell it to the audience.

Likewise the twist doesn't work either. It's a shame because I thought this would be quite a good film but yet again I expected too much.

Huge Disappointment...

Author: catsklgd1 from United States
7 November 2009

I had tremendously high hopes for this movie, especially based upon the trailers and viewer reviews. However, the use of gimmicky "true video footage," along with what were represented as "actual audio recordings" gave it the feel of a "Blair Witch Project" on studio steroids. The use of cheap, theatrical scare tactics, including sudden movements and loud noises, diminished rather than enhanced what little tension the film managed to achieve. But, the worse transgression was the use of an actress (I know I've seen her before, but I can't recall her name) to portray the "real" Abbey Tyler in what were supposed to be actual video recordings. So, what you end up with is an actress (Milla Jojovic) acting as the real Abbey Tyler who is then played by another actress. Sorry, but it just doesn't work. Sadly, there are wasted in this production some excellent acting performances by the aforementioned Miss Jojovic, Will Patton (always excellent),and Elias Koteas (Law & Order). I am a sucker for this type of film, but in this case I feel more like I was duped.

Blair Witch Fake - Dishonest to the point of Criminality

Author: feastorafamine from United States
29 January 2010

The reason for the abysmal review is the fact that the film is sold as being "reality" based. When i say reality based i mean based on actual events, even events that could be construed as debatable. This is simply not the case here. This is an entirely fictional film for which Universal pictures has paid a settlement for having placed fake news stories in order to sell this film. This is a new low in film marketing. I know the excuse will be that films are in and of themselves a suspension of belief but do we need to be lied to now in order to achieve this? I submit NO! If i were to simply review this film knowing in advance that it was pure fiction i would have watched an entirely different film. A film that was slow to develop and only contained a few moments of actual horror. There were a few fearful moments, a feat easily achieved, but largely this was due to the illusion of reality perpetrated by the introduction of the film by Mila (Lead Female role) as being based on actual events. Sadly this seems to be a trend in the horror genre that i fear may continue simply because of the gap between when the general public can unearth the truth about such films and the money generated in the meantime. Suffice to say anyone reading this review before having seen this film will undoubtedly have a quite different reaction to those yet unaware of the films true fictional nature. I might also add that i am a fan of this genre. I enjoyed the movie Communion with Chris Walken purely for the subject matter despite its flaws as a film. Perhaps those who see this film knowing in advance that it is a marketing ploy will find greater enjoyment. I myself was not amused with the deception. Don't take me for a fool, i don't take at face value and abduction story as pure truth but some basis in reality might have been more acceptable to pure lies. There are of course countless encounters of the fourth kind retold by real people to be debated and discussed. The only thing i feel like discussing about this film is how many people will see it before they know the ridiculous deception perpetrated by Universal pictures.

Interesting and thrilling

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
27 February 2010

This is a rather interesting movie, and it deals with a phenomena that we all are more or less familiar with - alien abductions. Now whether or not you believe in this is entirely up to you, but give this movie a chance, if nothing else then for its entertainment value.

"The Fouth Kind" is a unique mix of documentary and ordinary movie, and it worked out well, though sometimes it was a bit too much with the actual footage, it was disruptive in some odd way.

The story is quite interesting and compelling, and it grabs a hold of you and keeps you nailed down till the very end of the movie. The characters were believable and well portrayed.

There were some pretty nice effects in the movie as well.

Now, the thing about the movie is whether this is real or just a hoax. And even if it just is a hoax, the movie leaves you with unanswered questions and a sense of brooding mysticism.

I found the movie to be thoroughly entertainment and good for some discussion afterwards. So despite of your approach whether aliens and alien abductions are real or not, sit down and watch this movie. It is good.

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]