IMDb > "Castle" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Castle"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Castle" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Firefly to Castle

Author: galahad58-1 from United States
3 August 2010

What a great show. I had often wondered why Nathan Fillion was not a lead character in something after the spectacular Firefly. Even though Firefly did not last long, his portrayal of Malcolm Reynolds was the best part of one of the greatest shows this decade. Now comes Castle. Fillion is marvelous as Rick Castle. Fillion brings a presence to the show that is refreshing with a mix of charm, intelligence, and humor. Castle is a great role that is comparable to the work he had done with Mal Reynolds. Stana Katic is the perfect match for Fillion. Her character is not too gruff that it is unbelievable, she does not look like the standard dumb Hollywood type that you know could not solve crimes, and she brings a nice touch to the role. Castle is a really good show that I hope improves with age.

Classic murder-to-solve show with outstanding writing

Author: virtualxi
26 April 2009

Castle is a show that has many of the characteristics that make for a fantastic TV show. Superb writing both in terms of plot and character development, Castle dips in the classics elements established in the lines of "Murder she wrote" in terms of plot (why fix what ain't broken, right?) but brings in a fresh breath of air when it comes to the protagonists of this show. Cult-icon Nathan Fillion (always try to name drop Firefly in case someone is still unfamiliar with this great show -check it out-) and Stana Katic are the dynamic-duo that carry the weight of this show. Fillion's capacity to play a character like Richard Castle and absolutely conquer the audience is an absolute pleasure to witness BUT I was even more surprised by Stana's performance of Detective Kate Beckett, her role in the infamous "The Spirit" was one of the few things that could be salvaged and this show proves that this lady can act really well. The supporting cast is spot on, Castle's peculiar family often gives a nice relief from the main case to solve, either bringing laughs or moments of intimacy that manage to make the viewer sympathize with Castle (thankfully avoiding being extremely corny) and also the NYPD police department working with Beckett is worthy of mention. Overall: 8.5

Enough is enough

Author: rynoth from United States
15 April 2012

I clicked the box but I will just warn in text...HAS SPOILERS!

I've watched this show from the beginning. First let me say the cast is wonderful, and the premise of the show is decent enough.

The problem is Beckett's relationship with Castle. The writers have basically painted themselves into a corner after only 4 seasons. Everyone wants Kate and Castle to get together, and they keep dangling that carrot on a stick in front of their audience. Problem is, they know if they allow that to happen, they will lose a good majority of their viewers. Same thing happened with "I Dream of Jeannie" the second Major Nelson and Jeannie got married...Boom! Show's over and canceled.

But that doesn't stop them from repeatedly spinning their wheels on this very tired subject. Castle starts dating someone and Beckett pines for him. Then Beckett starts dating someone herself. Castle pines for her. Then they're BOTH in relationships and pine for each other. Then they remain single for a time, and go through traumatic event after traumatic event (dirty Bomb, terrorist bomb, almost dying of hypothermia, almost being killed by double agents, almost being killed by ninjas.) And yet still refuse to hookup. Even the other characters act as if their feelings are some kind of running gag. Lainey and Espizito have said on numerous occasions, "For the love of God, stop being a moron and ask him out." Yet both Beckett and Castle manage to remain oblivious to something that is both painfully obvious to the audience...and everyone else in the show.

"47 Seconds" and "The Limey" really angered me. In 47 Seconds, after seeing so much death and so many people's lives "cut short", Castle decides he is going to once and for all tell Beckett how he feels. That is until she let's it slip that she remembers everything about being shot while interrogating a suspect (ie: Castle saying he loved her) and Castle is watching from behind the two-way mirror. Castle then believes that this means she doesn't feel the same way, and it get's really stupid and estrogen charged. You are treated to Castle making snide remarks on the subject and acting like a jaded girlfriend for the rest of the episode. Said remarks naturally go completely over Beckett's head and it's all very very stupid. But then there's bleed over into..."The Limey" where we get to see Castle once again dating some bimbo, driving a Corvette, and acting like a jackass, while Beckett continues to blunder about like the most socially retarded human being on the planet.

I honestly don't care if they get together or not. Enough is enough. Either have them hook up, or decide their relationship will remain platonic and then NEVER speak of it again. When a show is suppose to be a cop comedy-drama, and it focuses more on the failed attempts at romance by two idiots instead of solving murders, and catching crooks; you really need to rethink your formula.

An introduction to the show

Author: paulorg (paul96.org@gmail.com) from Chennai, India
27 April 2017

They came as a replacement show in the year 2009 and captured the limelight and hearts of many people. They are called as the 'Dream Team' because of the chemistry between the actors and writers which was executed perfectly in each episode. They might have been now obsolete but their way of storytelling is still a dream for many other shows. Eight seasons doesn't seem that long for a series but what made CASTLE so special and different from other shows was its genre.

The challenge for the writers was to write something different in terms of the cases they had to solve and the challenges they face along the way. They breezed through that difficulty with a rich backstory for Beckett and a great character for Castle. The actor Nathan Fillion plays the part with a witty sense of humor and charm that he completely owned the character. The characters like Ryan and Esposito helped the main characters with the case and also have their own story arcs.

The show not only showed how to solve a crime and look good doing it but also showed what a relationship a father and daughter should have-Yes, Castle's daughter Alexis the most intelligent character, being much cooler than her old man showering wisdom and helping him solve some cases and growing up with us along the way was fun to watch. The show also introduced us to a great character named Martha, the unconventional yet a protective mother who possesses the diva nature and character that she shows us throughout the eight seasons.

paul96.org/CASTLE-The Dream Team

paul96.org/Richard Castle-An Alluring Intellect

paul96.org/Kate Beckett-A Sensuous Bureaucrat

paul96.org/castle-The Best Villains

paul96.org/castle-The Best Episodes

Great series,worth of watching.

Author: Daniel Cooper
12 November 2016

Overall I have rated this 10/10 but for me its something more like 9.5/10

Watched every season,overall I really liked Castle's role to turn crimes into "mystery" and turning the series into something what I call low-class horror and overall having lets say kind of a good storyline.

The only mistake I see from the series is part about those 3 months and part where Beckett and Castle were separated,I don't really want to say anything else to avoid any spoilers.

I'd say that the best episodes that I saw were: Hollander woods and Demons.

Castle gives you what other shows don't

Author: ahccdc from Arizona
6 April 2016

One of the reasons I tune in to Castle each week without fail for, is the relationships on the show. I only know of one other show out there where they seem to care as much about each other as they do on this show and have had great writing and acting to carry off the relationships. Even when times are tough. And, the sense of humor is fun without being dark. It is a perfect blend of what people say they want - love and civility while also showing some of the darkness in the world but remaining on the right side. It is great writing without having to go too dark like so many shows. It has the right amount of mystery. TV does have an effect on people and I vote for more writing like this on TV and keeping this show going for the foreseeable future. I love it.

Best TV Show for any mood & for any time!

Author: Richard Abeysinghe from Kurunegala, Srilanka
3 October 2013

When you say 'Best TV show', you think Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire or GoT. But lets be honest: can you watch any of these shows without feeling at least a bit depressed? womanizing, drugs, incest, cold- blooded killing are some of the major themes linking these shows. 'Castle' is a light and fun procedural with an overall positive attitude towards murder. Castle has fun and mostly serves to make people happy and it is consistently entertaining and well-written/acted. So does this make it somehow inferior to the dark and depressing shows that gets all of the awards? Logically, most would say no. But in reality, that's often how it shakes out. Speaking of more pros to Castle: Being an arts major for a short while, I've come to appreciate the comedies of 1930's & 40's made great by the likes of Katherine Hepburn & Cary Grant and Castle brings this back by its witty banter & the oft-tempestuous relationship of 'Caskett'. Also who makes the good old fashioned 'whodunit' mysteries any better? So no matter how good shows might be with their heavy negative themes, there's something to be said for a show that can be watched in any mood and at any time. "Castle" is one such show: even old reruns make for an entertaining hour!

Makes me smile every time I watch :)

Author: Blondexilla from United States
27 May 2013

I can't even express how great I find Castle. It's one of those shows that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside whenever you watch. Even If I had a seriously awful day I can come home and watch it and actually laugh and smile. Mondays are my favorite day of the week now because I can look forward to Castle being on. Yes, it has its imperfections, but so does everything. Castle is just such a great all-around show that you can invest in. If you have never watched it I strongly recommend that you do because it's that great. I started watching it as a kid when it was brand new and I am so happy to see it come as far as it did. Overall, Castle is fantastic and really the writers and actors deserve so much credit for what they've helped create!

It'll do, until Firefly is back.

Author: Jonathan Nezzox Gryveken from Sweden
20 March 2012

The main reason I started to watch this series is because of Nathan Fillon. I know him as the captain of Serenity from the series Firefly.

However, I was happily surprised to learn that Castle is a pretty entertaining show. At points you get a bit concerned over the cases because they sometimes don't feel realistic. But who am I to judge that, when I still hold a torch for Nathan's earlier work that involves spaceships and cows, in space?

Nathan here plays a writer named Richard Castle. He follows a female detective to get inspiration to write his crime novels where the lead hero Nikki Heat is based on this female detective. He naturally develops feelings for her and we follow this back and forth dance for many, many seasons in the show. You get a bit angry when it doesn't go anywhere between them. But, when you get emotionally invested like that it usually is a good sign that you are hooked on a show.

On episode six of the second season Nathan actually enters the episode dressed as the captain of Serenity from Firefly. And therein lies the problem. You have a constant reminder on where his heart lies. And as Nathan said in a interview, he too want the return of Firefly. And if that happens the Castle show will be nothing more than a memory of something Fillon did while waiting for his old show to get returned.

But, Castle is a good and solid show. Worth watching. Not something you talk too much about with your friends though.

magic works!!!!

Author: mohit udar from India
11 January 2012

CASTLE wants to be a mix of all three, and fortunately one of the most valuable weapons in its arsenal is the rakish charm of its featured lead actor, former FIREFLY star Nathan Fillion. I can count the number of actors on one hand who can pull off the "charming rascal" vibe in a way that never gets old, and Nathan can do those guys in his sleep. (And probably has.) But he also knows how to modulate them as the occasion warrants, and where in his former role as Captain Mal Reynolds he could definitely play the bad-ass card when needed, here as womanizing bad-boy, party animal and bestselling novelist Rick Castle, he's a whole lot less serious. Bored with the cop character who has been his bread-and-butter for a string of chart-busting crime thrillers, Rick has decided in his latest tome to blow his hero's brains out, thus making a continuance of the series a little difficult to say the least. It wouldn't be a problem if the laid-back Lothario weren't suddenly faced with a major case of writer's block. But inspiration is coming in the most fortuitous if unlikely of ways.

A serial killer has decided to rehash some of the more gruesome deaths from Castle's earlier novels, and it's up to the very attractive (of course!) and no-nonsense detective Kate Beckett (newcomer Stana Katic) to crack the case...which of course will require the assistance of a certain writer of whose books Detective Beckett is a closet fan. But a fan of smart-Aleck guys who like to make very unsubtle passes at her? Not so much. Let the games and one-oneupmanship begin! At first blush, you could easily accuse CASTLE of trying too hard, especially since matched with the seasoned experience of Fillion, the jury was out on Katic's ability to keep up with him in the first few episodes (at least it was for me.) And to enhance its credibility, the pilot even threw in some heavy hitters in guest cameos - James Patterson, no stranger himself to the crime fiction genre, and Stephen J. Cannell, who used to crank out pilots for series just like CASTLE over breakfast.