IMDb > "Legend of the Seeker" Sacrifice (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Legend of the Seeker" Sacrifice (2009)

« Prev | 10 of 44 Episodes | Next »

FInally!

Author: malachi57 from United States
26 January 2009

Though the show completely breaks away from the books on many levels, it has paid off in the best way with (what I am sure is a shared fantasy) Kahlan playing the role of Mord Sith! Freaking awesome! Some of the acting was a little stiff, but the story is progressing smoothly and actually tries to introduce some of the touchier issues that come up in the books. I know die-hard fanboys will complain that the show doesn't handle these issues (like why a male confessor can't live) in a half-hearted fashion, but this is regular cable, not HBO or Showtime where you can have carte blanche to cuss and show gratuitous adult themes. I think the creative team is doing a great job. I hope this show stays around for a while.

Great episode BUT

Author: ngwttintl from denver
15 April 2009

SPOILERS ALERT!!! This is a great and intriguing episode, among the best I've seen yet, but the moral blathering is completely odd and makes no sense. The Legend of the Seeker uses all the great tools of hero mythology and if your a Joseph Campbell fan it's all very fun. This episode has a very interesting plot concerning the fate of a baby. As a series goes it seems like a major show to set up ideas and plots in future shows.

A male confessor is born and according to confessor law this ain't good. So the confessors have to kill this baby and the Seeker won't understand their reasoning. The Seeker doesn't get Confessor law and steals the baby to keep him alive.

My major gripe about the episode is the hypocritical heavy handed ending. As the mother confessor is about to sacrifice the baby due to the law, the other Confessors begin preaching about a less brutal way to live and solve problems. Just as they are preaching about the less violent future they should live the Mother Confessor is stabbed in the back with a sword.

It's kinda funny I guess, but the message is ridiculous. The whole episode is kinda preachy in that way, and none of it's preachiness adds up in the end. It's kinda like life I guess, nothing adds up. Awkward really, but this is Legend of the Seeker and it's a helluva fun show.