Triage (2009) Poster

(2009)

24 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
The Numbing. Destructive Silences of War Experience
gradyharp1 July 2010
TRIAGE is a well chosen title for this film about who survives an who dies in war: at times those triage decisions are made by serendipity (read 'bad luck'), at times they are made by physicians or medics tending the wounded on the battlefield, and at times they are submerged in the apparent 'survivors' only to later crush the life from those who make it home. Writer/Director Danis Tanovic has adapted Scott Anderson's novel is a manner that carries the seemingly simple act of 'triage' throughout the film, showing how that action can affect the lives of friends, family, and psychological wholeness of the victim.

Mark Walsh (Colin Farrell, in yet another powerful role) and his buddy David (Jamie Sives) are war photographers for a newspaper edited by Amy (Juliet Stevenson). Their current assignment is Kurdistan and the terrifying realities they not only experience but also commit to film are of such a horrid nature that they both are in shock: they not only witness killings and landmine explosion deaths, but they also watch one Dr. Talani (Branko Djuric) triage the wounded, deciding who can survive care and who is so near death that they are put aside to be later 'executed' by Dr. Talani in a compassionate gesture to end their futile suffering. The tension is so great that David decides to return home, leaving Mark to carry on the assignment. An explosion occurs and Mark is seriously injured but survives and after being tended by Dr. Talani he is encouraged to return home. There is no news as to where David is.

Mark returns home to his adoring Elena (Paz Vega), presents his photographs to Amy, and begins to heal: David's wife Diane (Kelly Reilly) is due to deliver their first child in two weeks and has had no word from David. We watch as Mark, eroded by his experiences in Kurdistan, retreat into a state of decline. Elena grows fearful as Mark, despite hospitalizations and medical care, continues to deteriorate and out of desperation she calls her grandfather Joaquin, a psychiatrist who treated the victims of the Spanish Civil War (Elena is still angry that her own grandfather treated the perpetrators of the destruction that war caused). Joaquin slowly brings Mark into the acceptance of how his mind has triaged the events in Kurdistan and leads Mark to discover the truths about incidents in what war for which he has blamed himself. We finally understand David's disappearance at the moment when his and Diane's child is born.

This is a tough story to watch: subtitles would help the audience understand the many dialects used in the film. But the message is clear and the acting is superb by every member of the cast, even very small but cogent cameos by Reece Ritchie as a boy in Beirut and Dada Ashi as a Ugandan woman - two of the early incidents Mark must remember and face in his work with Joaquin. The cinematography is dazzling, especially the use of flashbacks of a raging river so important in Mark's memory recall, and the constant focus on the blue and yellow tags that mark the triage decisions. This is another powerful anti-war film, this time as seen through the eyes of a non-combatant observer. It is important to see.

Grady Harp
50 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Taut War Drama
nyshrink1 September 2010
This film deserved better than a straight-to-DVD release.

The story begins in Iraqi Kurdistan, shortly before Saddam Hussein gassed thousands of Kurds to quell a rebellion. Colin Farrell and Jamie Sives portray two photojournalists who ride along with the rebels. Because the Kurds have no real army or government, medical care given to the wounded is...frugal. Farrell's character, Mark, converses with a doctor who believes in relieving people's suffering. Mark initially finds it hard to understand the doctor's point of view. Sives' character, David, decides to quit rather than take one more chance and starts a long walk back from the front lines. The next thing we see is a wounded Mark (Colin Farrell) and we don't know what happened to David.

The rest of the film takes place in Ireland, sort of. It moves back and forth from scenes of Mark's life as the traumatized husband of a beautiful woman who feels locked out by his shell-shocked remoteness, and Mark's various wartime memories, as he describes them to his wife's grandfather, a therapist who once treated war criminals. The therapist starts to figure out from the threads of Mark's different stories what might have happened to David. What is fascinating is Mark's unconscious selection of images from his mind that inadvertently reveal the truth to the therapist. As a therapist myself, this was the most interesting part of the movie for me.

Farrell convincingly portrays a man wracked by grief and guilt. Christopher Lee is excellent as a somewhat egomaniacal healer whose political views differ from those of his daughter. The rest of the cast is also good and Paz and Farrell seem to have sexual chemistry.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you think there are too many anti-war films out there, think again!
kodpropalogfudbalera25 March 2010
Being a fan of Danis Tanovic's films, I couldn't wait to see his third movie „Triage". I finally watched it last night, of course, a pirated copy of the film, which still did not spoil the film for me, not even one bit. The reason why I mention these technicalities is basically just to say that not even poor sound quality compounded by a frustrating inability to appreciate fully the whole atmospheric environment that Danovic creates for the viewers with much finesse and eye for detail, takes away from the fact that this is simply a film worth watching. I tend to think that movie aficionado from the third world, being forced to choose between watching pirated copies of films that never make it to the local cinemas and not watching them at all, are actually watching these films stripped of all their non-essential elements. If the movie passes this test, I think it can be safely said that everyone's time, the film crew's time and the audience's time has been used to a good effect.

Before seeing it, I knew that the movie was about a photographer going to the war zone. That alone would have been enough for me to decide against spending 99 minutes of my otherwise super exciting life on it had someone else directed it. I say this because I myself watched them take photos of people running for their lives in the streets of Sarajevo. I vividly remember one of them taking a photo of a woman running over the stretch of the road that was exposed to sniper fire with canisters in her hands unsuspecting that having reached safety she would start hitting him full force with those canisters out of sheer frustration. On the one hand, it's not like he could have asked for her consent to be photographed in not too dignified a pose. On the other hand, one may say that being too preoccupied with survival she is not even remotely thinking at that moment about how this and no other photo may turn out to be the most symbolic of her plight. Not to digress too far, Colin Farrel's character in the movie and his best friend are off to Kurdistan to capture with their cameras yet another offensive in the two centuries long history of warfare in that country. This is the land where the situation spinned out of control long time ago. These are the people who live out their existence stripped of any real choices. It is this lack of choice and the bravery with which ordinary men like Dr Talzani and Cristopher Lee's character face it that form important aspects of this anti-war film that is so much more than that. As for Mark Walsh (Colin Farrel), his drama is taken to the extreme, probably the extremest I've seen on film recently. I will stop here in order not to spoil the film for those of you who may read this and haven't seen it yet.

Finally, let me briefly respond to some of the criticism leveled against „Triage". In some comments it is said that it should have been shot in Kurdistan with more Kurds in it to add to its authenticity. Well, production-dictated requirements aside, „No Man's Land" was shot in Slovenia and it does not take away from the movie's authenticity. Besides, he wants his movies to be universal, hence the references to different places across the globe in this movie. As for the comment about the relationship between characters being strained and used solely for the purpose of delivering big lines, I must say that I did not detect that strain while watching the movie and though it may be because of the poor sound quality of the pirated copy, I'm more inclined to attribute it to Tanovic's habit of using dialogue as if he was staging a play and not directing a film. To those who call him an amateur, Tanovic so far worked with Katrin Cartlidge, Miki Manojlovic, Emannuele Beart, Branko Djuric, Colin Farrel, is friends with great film-makers such as Mike Leigh, made his three feature films in three different languages and won positive acclaim at big international film festivals. I rest my case.
29 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great story, poorly done...
penandpaper5212 September 2009
Firstly, let me just say that the TIFF audience did seem to like it and they responded well to it. There were quite a few moments of light humour that were enjoyed and the Q&A session revealed that a lot of people truly were touched by the movie.

Next, let me say that the story was quite powerful. The character played by Farrel was developed and real. It would be hard not to be emotionally effected by this film, and it would be hard not to leave with something to think about.

Unfortunately, a great story and a great character don't make for a great movie. While many of the scenes were spectacular and a lot of the dialogue worked quite well, on a whole the film didn't do its story justice. It actually felt, much of the time, as if I were watching the subplot of another film. In fact, if you've watched enough war films you'll probably find that this movie WAS the subplot to many of those films. That alone doesn't equal a bad film, but it does make it more challenging for the film to hold its own. That didn't happen. Farrel's character--due to his acting as well as the writer/director's desire to explore that type of character--was fine through and through, but the characters around him all tended to speak their lines solely for the purposes of advancing Farrel's character, or to push out a philosophy of war. To illustrate this, just pay attention to the scene in which we're introduced to the grandfather, Christopher Lee's character. That scene introduces a whole back story and turbulent relationship that has nothing to do with anything... it was just pinned on the story awkwardly so as to justify a powerful speech in which he defended his questionable actions in a long-ago war. Well, that's pretty much what the rest of the story felt like. And the payoff wasn't great. It ended mostly how you expect it will end, and gives a message we've heard from a thousand other films.

So, again, if I had the option, I'd give this story a 9/10. The execution of the story remains a 6.
77 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
excellent
endura-16 April 2010
What a performance from Mr Farrell. I didn't expect anything special when got the movie but it surprised me. Was very well thought, told a good story and the performance of the cast was outstanding. The story is about two friends who go to war-torn Kurdistan and leave behind their wives one of which is very pregnant. I should stop here because revealing more of the plot is revealing the ending and I don't want that. Triage is going to capture your imagination, and make you feel and understand what goes on in war journalist head. I for the first time tried to understand the character's (Mark) motivations and felt that I'm not being lied to. I'm grateful that it's not just another war flick, with loads of kabooom going on, but a deep psychological study of a person who witnessed something that was beyond his mind's capacity. I recommend it because it made me realise that 'in war there are no winners only losers' and this applies to passive witness as well.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Must-See
KarenSantaFe4 April 2011

I'll keep this review short, but suffice it to say, this is a Must-See. Right up there with some other finely wrought journalism/war films, like "Welcome to Sarajevo," and general war films, like John Boorman's "Beyond Rangoon." I'm ordering the book to read and then plan to re-watch the film too. It's not often an author pulls of a great adaptation, but judging from the film, he sure did here.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Coming home...
RogerTheMovieManiac889 October 2014
Deeply harrowing and involving, this up-close yet suitably detached and observant examination of Kurdish guerrilla warfare against Saddam's forces details the horrors that two photo-journalists witness, document and are embroiled in during the conflict of the late 1980s. When one (Colin Farrell) returns home, the horrifying details of his friend's fate are gradually eased out from the scarred and traumatised photographer by an elderly Spanish doctor (Christopher Lee).

As the two men share their respective experiences in Spain and Kurdistan, a tentative trust and rapport is built up between them and the soul-destroying facts of what actually happened in Kurdistan can gradually be acknowledged.

'Triage' is an intelligent and compelling movie in terms of both detail and acting. Seamus Deasy's evocative lensing of the Spanish locations suitably conveys the barren desolation and ruggedly beautiful yet deeply troubled nature of the Kurdish region. Amidst the war-torn landscape and the subsequent uncertain disorientation upon return, the acting of both Farrell and Lee held me transfixed and utterly riveted. They both create characters of real depth and humanity. Never before have I seen the charismatic Farrell turn in a performance of such note.

Director Danis Tanovic confirms the huge promise that he exhibited with 'No Man's Land' and has with this movie created a searing masterpiece that, like the aforementioned 2001 movie, is undoubtedly significantly informed by his time spent filming in Sarajevo for the Bosnian Army. The chilling and mind-numbing impact of conflict is conveyed vividly and unflinchingly through his directorial vision and execution.

The heart-wrenching reveal that the movie inexorably builds towards is graphic and stands as a draining and deeply moving denouement to this unforgettable picture. The shattering silence that accompanies the unspeakable horror of the climactic scene forms a powerful and sublime encapsulation of one man's release and acceptance of the fate that befell his colleague who failed to return. Through his acknowledgment of reality, comes the chance for renewal and vital reawakening. 'Triage' is indeed a worthy addition to the pantheon of great anti- war movies and it deserves to be sought out and seen by as many cinema lovers as possible.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Psychological War Drama
paul david27 February 2010
this is the third of the 2009 Colin Farrell movies which I have recently following on from Doctor Parnassus and Crazy Heart but this surely is his finest acting performance in a movie to date.

There are many movies of course about war and more recently about Iraq. this is not really an Iraq war story but Colin Farrell does play as a war journalist in Kurdistan and returns from there with a trauma wjhich engrosses the main story of the film.

the film title of TRIAGE is a strange one and requires looking up as to meaning before or after watching the movie. the context of TRIAGE within the movie occurs as i recall in only one actual scene of the film when the Kurdistani Doctor is seen having to play 'God' in order to decide who lives and dies.

Like the American movie 'Brothers', somebody returns from a war-torn drama with a psychological trauma and with a story to tell which is not what the folks back home are expecting. Farrells acting performance is spot on all the way and there are one or two graphic scenes in the film, one near the end, which will definitely make you flinch and probably weep.

overall this is not a powerful film like The Hurt Locker and I disagree with the earlier comment about the Grandfather. He clearly has an important part to play in the movie and Farrell links to all the main characters effortlessly.

Okay it was not filmed in Kurdistan for whatever reason and Kurdistani actors/extra may or may not have been used.

Despite the graphic scenes, I commend this movie for viewing. It is not top notch but it is certainly entertaining.

Would have liked to have seen more focus on the concept of the film title and exploration of issues relating to triage rather than the story which eventually evolved between the character of mark Walsh (Farrell) and his best friend David. I really doubt many people will watch the movie and know what TRIAGE means.

Not on general release anywhere I understand, privileged to watch it on good quality DVD.
29 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Peacefullness in a grown man; that is not a good sign.
lastliberal22 August 2010
As a teenager, Elena (Paz Vega) hated her grandfather (Christopher Lee) because he was a "fascist." He treated the fascist leaders after the Spanish War. His explanation of why he did so was most interesting, and showed him to possibly be a great psychiatrist.

She called upon him to treat her war photographer boyfriend (Colin Farrell) after he returned from Kurdistan and was undergoing leg paralysis that was psychosomatic. Their exchanges as Mark (Farrell) relived his war experiences were fascinating, as were Dr. Morales' soliloquies.

The film was excellent in showing the cost of war is far higher than the dollars and cents we spend to fight them. Without adequate treatment, those who return will suffer the rest of their lives for their experiences. Farrell was excellent as was Lee.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Moving on
kosmasp20 December 2010
If you like this movie, you should go out and buy/rent "No man's land" from the same director. I haven't seen "L'Enfer" yet, but I'm sure that one is good too. At first I was amazed by the actors at hand here, but the script proves to have been a big part in their involvement. The dialogue and the delivery is just spot on.

And when you watch Christopher Lee going one-on-one with Colin Farrell, you just wish there could have been more scenes, with those two together. There is a great chemistry surrounding them and when they grace the screen together it's almost like magic. There is this constant pushing and delivering, that makes those scenes special.

But of course, the rest of the movie is not lacking in tension and/or good performances. Quite the contrary. Especially the doctor and the others involved all have there scenes. The editing does the rest and makes this more than above average.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
War trauma drama
KineticSeoul28 February 2011
This movie is basically about how even a photojournalist(Colin Farrell) who is a vet at taking pictures of war and death can be traumatized. The story starts off with a very ambitious journalist and photographer that sees the horrors of war with his partner and best friend. The thing is at first I just didn't think the stuff he went through in the beginning section of the movie would be enough to traumatize a person like the photojournalist in the movie. But there is enough flashbacks later on to show the reason why. I personally thought it should have put more emphasis on the horrors of war and the part about the photojournalist's wife figuring out the change in her husband seemed to drag. Also some of the situation just isn't all that believable, and believability is a key factor for a movie like this. And most of the story revolve around digging into the photojournalist's mind because of his change in character and the change in his character isn't anything all that terrible. It starts to pick up and get a bit interesting when Christopher Lee who is basically a psychologist in this is put into the equation. And the digging of the mind got interesting and this movie has some good parts. But the direction and everything else isn't all that well made in a professional manner and just seemed like a work done by a novice. Now not all movies should look professional in order for it to be better, but this is the type of film that would have been better if it went that direction.

5.5/10
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The scars of war
jotix10023 May 2013
Mark and David, two photographers following the conflict in Kurdistan, experience things they probably did not take into consideration before getting involved in that war. Mark is bolder, while David begins to unravel before his best buddy's eyes. When David decides to pack it in, Mark is devastated, as he is left alone facing death and ultimately being badly wounded.

When Mark arrives back in Ireland, his life takes a turn for the worst. He has no reason for feeling this way; after all, he is happily married to Elena, his Spanish wife, who cannot comprehend what is going on through Mark's mind. Part of the problem is the fact that Diane, David's wife is expecting. His guilt about the missing friend is behind everything. Elena has the brilliant idea to summon her grandfather, a wise man, who tries, to unravel Mark's pent up feelings. The truth finally comes out, as we watch in horror the odyssey he went through with David.

Directed by Danis Tanovic, "Triage", is an exercise in survival while being in the worst possible situations. Based on Scott Anderson's novel, which we have not read, the film makes a case on the horrors of a war which Mark experienced. He was a man who showed fearlessness capturing the conflict for publications that are willing to pay to show his images. But everything changes in a second when his best friend has had it. Mark's is guilt ridden for a secret he is not ready to share with anyone.

Colin Farrell gives one of the most intense performances of his career, under Mr. Tanovic's inspired direction. Branko Djuric, playing Dr. Talzani made an impression on his approach to his role. The great Christopher Lee shows up as Elena's grandfather, a man that has seen war first hand, and has suffered for his involvement. Paz Vega and Kelly Reilly have nothing to do in the film.

For a film that was shot in Spain, which serves as the distant Kurdistan, the cinematographer, Seamus Deasey, does wonders to photograph the action and makes it real.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Contrived Passions
Parag Adhikari4 March 2010
Definitely a worth wile movie to watch, regardless of its overthrowing qualities and contrived passions. A traumatized war photo-journalist, returns home from kurdistan, taking the pictures more that he can hoard. But not just the pictures, he is consulted by the psychiatrist and the movie unfolds. The movie hits rock bottom when his psychiatrist tells him "We can't take the pain away, we have to live with it forever...this is called life" when the protagonist is lying on his bed. Collin Ferrell acting is great like always (Cassandra's dream, In bruges). Overall he does justice to the movie. To be honest this movie seems as it is well behind its time, in moments i felt like it was 80's film. What i actually mean is the movie would have nominated for awards if it was 80's, 2010 was a wrong time. The overall acting is good,I like the score too, the worst part is the movie itself. The movie doesn't lead us anywhere, nonetheless this movie is different than other in the respect that, it doesn't attenuates like other movie. It only gets denser after every minute of it. Last but no the least great story this movie had potential and i myself was expecting much from it but overall the movie is mediocre. 6/10
12 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Lawrence of Arabia" meets MEMENTO
charlytully26 July 2011
Though this movie is not perfect, it is very well done. The front story with the shrink in-law (Christopher Lee) treating the shell-shocked war zone photojournalist (Colin Farrell) for PTSD ranges in tone from forced to overly simple (with an ending reminiscent of someone just pressing the "EASY" button at Staples), but the back story flashbacks are powerful enough to make up for any deficiencies in the back-home-in-Europe part of the flick. Especially memorable is the actual title character, a Kurdish triage doctor (played by Branko Djuric) who brings to mind the practical fatalism exuded by Peter O'Toole's portrayal of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. All in all, director Danis Tanovic steadily builds tension in a way that recalls the recent foot-on-landmine triumph, NO MAN'S LAND. No doubt the lack of an unrealistic "happy ending" for the pregnant "adrenalin junkie widow" will prevent TRIAGE from achieving the popular rating heights of such funnier war films as GOOD MORNING, V!ETNAM! or INGLORIOUS BASTERDS. It's as if the crew of TRIAGE set out to make something truer to the war experience than a feel-good segment on Fox News. Apparently they did not even need to hack into anyone's cell phone voice mail to do so, either.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It tries but at the end it is an amateur effort.
nikolobg16 March 2010
I blame the director and the script writer. This movie has good parts, but at the end if i had to pin the bad it is the way the story was put together. You see an 'amateur' directing with a vision which i could not agree with. I had trouble expressing whats wrong with this movie but there it is - an amateur story telling.

Without giving spoilers, i found my self disagreeing with the tempo of the action, the forced confrontations and negotiations, the arguments for why the characters are acting this way. It seemed that they were doing it because the director demanded it for the next scene to make sense. Even in small things like the doctor saying to Farrell 'we found you by the river'... seemed to say to me, so that's why you are here as you see we have a river in this country and you were by it and we found you, and so there you go, that's why you are back here with me lets move on .... made me angry.

So i disliked the movie as it was forced. Farrell is nice but working with this script/director is a pain to watch.
8 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Christopher Lee shows his quality once more!!
nikostsoup8 May 2017
I had sir Christopher Lee in my heart as one of my favorite actors but after watching this movie i can undoubtfully say that he is my favorite actor , he made this film epic with his talent and quality. There is one thing that I am sure of and that is that there will not be an actor so talented and legendary as sir Christopher Lee. He is 1st seen in the film after a quite big amount of time but he then gives the film an end that is thrilling . Rest in peace sir Cristopher and you will forever live in our hearts as a legend!!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
central secret gets tiring
SnoopyStyle23 September 2016
It's 1988. War photographer Mark Walsh (Colin Farrell) is in Kurdistan with best friend David. They photograph triage where Dr. Talzani mercy kills his terminal patients. Mark is eager to join the expected Peshmerga offensive but David is desperate to go home to his pregnant wife Diane (Kelly Reilly). They seemingly split up. David returns to Dublin alone. His girlfriend Elena Morales (Paz Vega) is horrified by his state. He claims to got washed away in a river and that David left days before him. Mark is deteriorating and Elena calls in her psychologist grandfather Joaquín Morales (Christopher Lee) for help. She is estranged from him for his work with the Spanish dictatorship.

There is a good story here. The characters and the actors are solid. The central secret gets a bit tiresome. It's obvious something happened but the reveal is disappointing. The actual incident should be much more Mark's fault to justify his overwhelming guilt. In reality, he is only fractionally at fault and a really small fraction at that. I'm also not a fan of a lot of psychobabble talk especially when the movie is only geared towards the secret. Elena and her grandfather have a much better talk. His explanation of his work in Spain is one of the highlights.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Specialist, low-budget, low-key but praise-able
tombrookes20072 March 2011
Specialist, low-budget, low-key but praise-able Colin Farrell stars in this tough, low budget British war film, as an army photographer right in the thick of Iraqi fighting war-zones. He returns home to Ireland and struggles to readjust, being shell shocked.

The story, although very real, sometimes seems diluted and gets lost. The acting is effortless, solid and ultimately low-key, like the film, and fails to be anything but unimpressive - even if commendable in nature. The tone is moody, chilling at times and the pace is slow and emotion building (making it hard to submerse in).

In Summary - Not everyone's cup of tea and almost too morose to be enjoyed. I think Farrell fans will prefer it as he is the main piece. A commendable production.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reasonably solid PTSD drama
Framescourer26 June 2010
With a clearly forced-slimmed Colin Farrell (and an old-school superstar cameo), fairly well-observed 1980's styling and an unusual take on post-traumatic stress disorder (the protagonists are journalists rather than soldiers) this film has plenty to recommend it. Indeed, I like a lot of what Colin Farrell does. He's part of an A-list school of acting who is hired because they do facets of themselves rather well, such as intensity and masculinity, etc. and though their dramatic kaleidescope can be limited, revelation isn't necessarily what I'd paid to watch.

If that sounds negative-by-stealth, well, I'm afraid that this is a film in which the creak of ill-assimilated set-pieces, scripting, editing and a noticeably studied screen grammar seem to leak across the screen. There's a heavy use of flashback which, in this post-puzzlebox era seems a mite laboured. I also felt that the (to put it loosely) truth-and-reconciliation 'message' overwhelmed the script that have plenty of room for a drama that would have carried it just as well. It's not a bad film but its limitations are visible. 4/10
8 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
shells shocked after taking the ultimate picture of war blurs two realities to him he has the key to unlock a mystery to a friend disapearing
2karl-26 August 2016
shell shocked or triage in America came 2009 this film is 1h 39min of a | Drama, Mystery, War set in Kurdistan and Ireland i gave it 7/10 The wife of a photojournalist sets out to discover why he came home from a recent assignment without his colleague. Director:Danis Tanovic sets a Excellent Psychological War Drama with a mystery element Colin Farrell's character is outstanding .best fiends mark and David played by James sives are two expert at war photographers sent to war torn Kurdistan highly ambitious mark is intentent on pursuing the fighting in search of the ultimate shot but David has enough living amongst such brutality and leaves to go home to a wife who is pregnant mark returns home battered and bruised he is surprised to learn David has not yet made it back exhausted and ill he tries in vain to hide his physical and psychological wounds his uncharacteristically strange behavior prompts wife Elena (vega)to enlist the help of her grandfather straight talking Spanish psychiatrist( lee) who worked with treating fascists after they committed atrocities in the civil war uncovering the painful truth it soon becomes clear that mark holds the key to the real reaason behind David disappearance written and directed by the director who done no mans land .shell shock Ir triage is a gripping story about war shooting and explosions and killings. At the age of 86, actor Christopher Lee had to learn more lines of dialogue for his role in "Triage" than for any other film he has done before. His career spanned more than 60 years and over 300 film and TV productions I was very moved by this film. I loved the pacing, the movement back and forth in time, the many-layered meanings of the word "triage". Colin Farrell's work just gets better and better, he is fast becoming my favorite actor. The camera work is gorgeous too, kudos to the DP.

I'll keep this review short, but suffice it to say, this is a Must-See. Right up there with some other finely wrought journalism/war films, like "Welcome to Sarajevo," and general war films, like John Boorman's "Beyond Rangoon." I'm ordering the book to read and then plan to re-watch the film too. It's not often an author pulls of a great adaptation, but judging from the film, he sure did here Rated R for war violence, disturbing images, language, brief sexuality and nudity Mark and David are best friends, photo journalists going from war to war. In the spring of 1988, they're in Kurdistan, at an isolated mountain clinic, waiting for an offensive. wants to go home to Dublin to his pregnant wife. He leaves, with Mark promising to follow in a few days. A week or so later, Mark's home after being wounded, but David's not been heard from. Mark's slow recovery and uncharacteristic behavior alarm his girlfriend, Elena, who asks her grandfather, a Spanish psychologist, to come to Dublin to help. Are there things the carefree and detached journalist is bottling up? Is he a casualty of war Colin Farrell ... Mark Walsh Paz Vega ... Elena Morales Christopher Lee ... Joaquín Morales Jamie Sives ... David
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slow start, but then enters wise man Christopher Lee
OJT7 October 2013
Triage is a term used for humanity killing of a seriously wounded. This film starts off with teaching us this, by some war photographers experiencing this in Kurdistan, a region where the Kurds live, in the border of the Asian countries of Turkey, Iran and Syria.

The two befriended experienced Irish war photographers are getting tired of being exposed to war, and one feel more than the other that this has to end. They want to go back to their beloved back home. But they split up, and when Mark gets back home he is changed. His partner hasn't shown up, though it's just days until he's to become a father.

This film is well done, but starts too slow. It might put you off. But this is the only place this story fails, because when now 91 years old Christopher Lee (in the film 86 years old, just as he was back then when filming) enters the film grows by yards! Showing which amazing actor he is, still filming actively 4-6 films each year, with more than 200 films in his belt, the latest is the 2nd and 3rd Hobbit-films as Saruman.

He boosts the interest in the film by his mere presence, as the grandfather of Mark's beloved. He enters as the wise man and savior. And up the film goes from a 4/10 to a 7/10. Amazing!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"I've had enough, I want to go home."
LeonLouisRicci28 September 2013
You simply cannot make an Anti-War Movie that is not disturbing. Even M*A*S*H (1969) included some unpleasant Operating Room Scenes and very Dark Humor. But this is nowhere near that Film in Style or Content, it was just a clumsy way to make a Point. This Movie has an unsettling Tone and some very Graphic War Imagery.

Add to its Depressing Battlefield Carnage, the Main Focus of the Film is the Psychological or PTSD of a Photojournalist, played with a Believable Sorrow by Colin Farrell, and is a Well Crafted, Layered Story that weaves through Flashbacks all that is the Source of His Pain.

This one never got a Standard Release and went Straight to Video and is a virtually unknown Work that is Striking, Powerful, and Memorable. Christopher Lee makes a late Appearance as a Psychiatrist of sorts and the Character brings along a lot of Baggage and some Unorthodox Theories. This is Typical of the way this Excellent Film unfolds in Unconventional ways and it delivers some Style that does not Intrude on its Message.

This is Very Far from a Good Time at the Movies and is best approached as a Serious Philosophical Drama with none of the Trappings that make for an Easy Approach. It is Solemn and Unwavering in its Intensity and Insight into just part of what makes War Hell.
Dark Tale About War
Desertman8424 December 2011
Triage is a film about a dark tale of a photojournalist who comes home after a dangerous assignment in Kurdistan during the Anfal Genocide against the Kurdish people.

Mark Walsh is a photojournalist who has earned a reputation for working in some of the most unforgiving locations on Earth, so when his editor Amy asks him to cover the fighting in Kurdistan, Mark takes the assignment and thinks little of it, though his wife Elena is considerably more concerned. Mark and his friend and fellow photographer David head off to the war full of confidence, but when Mark comes home alone after being separated from David, he seems like a different person, gaunt and unable to relax. Elena can't get Mark to talk about what he saw that left him so traumatized, so she invites her grandfather Joaquin, a veteran psychoanalyst with military experience, for a visit to see if he can help. But as Joaquin struggles to get Mark to open up, the grandfather's presence ignites an old conflict between him and Elena; the doctor was a supporter of Franco during the Spanish Civil War and served under the dictator's regime, and Elena has never been able to forgive him for his actions against the Spanish loyalists.

The movie stars Colin Farrell,Paz Vega and Christopher Lee together with Kelly Reilly,Branko Đurić and Jamie Sives.It is based on the novel Triage by American veteran war correspondent Scott Anderson, and it is written and directed by Danis Tanović.

Triage is about a person's war experience.The cast was brilliant but their performances aren't enough to make this a compelling and powerful film. Colin Farrell was good enough as Mark Walsh but he wasn't great in this highly complex role that was enough to really generate the sympathy of the viewer.It could have been an excellent film considering the relevance of the theme involved but it the cast weren't enough to elevate it into a classic film.
Quite Boring! 3/10
leonblackwood15 September 2013
Review: Although the story is quite deep, I found it to be slow and in some ways, pretty boring. Colin Farrell puts in a good performance, but its the pace of the movie that lets it down. I was good to see Christopher Lee back on screen and when the whole story unfolds, it wasn't too bad, but the director chose to use the suspense element which was quite a bad choice. By the end of the movie I was left feeling quite empty and not that entertained, which was a shame because the concept was OK. Average!

Round-Up: I did end up falling asleep through a bit of this film because I was waiting for something major to happen. I understand that its was supposed to be a psychological drama that was based on the traumatic effect of what Farrell witnessed in Kurdistan, which is why I decided to give the movie a chance in the first place, but I still struggled to to keep my eyes open. In all, its not the type of film that I would be watching again any time soon.

I recommend this movie to people who into there psychological dramas based on the experience of a journalist in the Middle East. 3/10
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this