IMDb > Womb (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Womb

Womb More at IMDbPro »

Delicate Portrait of Loneliness and Lost love.

Author: StrawberryRainPop from Singapore
8 May 2012

Womb is an excellent drama that is unfortunately marketed the wrong way.

If your first impression of the film is that its an Erotic drama on incest, you couldn't be further from the truth.

The premise itself should be a guideline for whether or not you should watch this film.

"After a tragic accident, a woman decides to clone her lover, and raise him from infancy to adult." The less you know about Womb, the better the experience will be. Suffice to say, its an extremely well made, and honest drama about not being able to let go, and the consequences that follow.

The story centers around Tommy and Rebecca. After the accident, Rebecca makes the controversial decision to clone Tommy to raise him as a child.

Why? To get back her lover? To raise the child she never had? The film never spoon feeds us, and we're left with Eva Greens brilliant performance to see Rebecca unravel.

We see her care about the Tommy's clone, and genuinely wants to be a good mother, but there's an underlying foreboding with the possibility of incest. Rebecca struggles to keep her feelings to being a mother, but there's obvious jealously when women come into Tommy's life, and thats the main conflict of the film.

Certainly, this taboo possibility is the main drive of the second half of the film, but its much more than that.

Womb is brilliant because of how well its crafted.

There is an isolation to the film, landscapes and vistas are limited to long stretches of seas and beaches.

Music is sparse too, there's a haunting recurring theme that plays during decades, and emphasizes the long time span of the story.

Dialogue is minimum , and the film never lingers on a certain time period.

Yet we miss nothing. Womb focuses not on the conversations and events, but rather the emotions the characters go through. What we are left with is a deep morality love story that transcends decades.

Regardless of how you feel about the inevitable outcome, the struggles presented on screen is one of the more complex modern love stories. Its not about Lust, but of how blind we can get in our desires to get our loved ones back.

Its not for everyone though, due to the slow paced nature of the film, the more you give yourself to the film, the more you will get.

Its also not exactly the happiest film made. The depressive tone of the film may be too much for some, but it stays true to itself, and benefits greatly from it.

This paired with the taboo subject material, led with questionable marketing, will probably scare off people, which is a shame, because this is far from the pretentious love story people seem to think it is.

See it if you can, its definitely a hauntingly beautiful film that makes you think long after the credits roll.

P.S, this is my first real review, let me know what you guys think! THANKS!

Quiet, Cold, Stunning!

Author: Jimmy Collins from United States
17 August 2011

Films with lingering shots of a beach or a face or a road to me can sometimes come off as pretentious dribble, not the case with Womb, I found this movie to be absolutely stunning. There's no other word for it, some people would easily find this movie to be boring due to the extremely slow pace and lack of dialogue, but in my opinion that all just adds to the atmosphere that the director was trying to create.

There is no way at all to tell what year this film is set but I'm guessing it would be in the not too distant future, let's face it, the advances in science these days it's not too long before human cloning will be a part of our society. A lot of things I've heard about Womb quite often compare it to Birth, which is a pretty good comparison I think, both films have a lot of similarities. I couldn't help but pick up vibes from another film Never Let Me Go, the controversial subject matter is similar, the underlying sci-fi element, the moral question the viewer faces and the stillness of both films are very much the same.

Eva Green is wonderful to watch, she gives such a wonderfully restrained performance that's it's surprising she didn't get noticed more for her role. Ever since I saw the terrific Cracks a few years ago I look forward to seeing what edgy role she decides to take on next, Matt Smith, who I'm not so familiar with also does a good job. The children at the beginning of the film deserve a mention too, it seems as though child actors are just getting better and better as time goes on.

Certainly not a film for everyone, but for people who like a bit of a discussion after a film it's perfect.

LOVED IT!!!

A Nutshell Review: Womb

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
6 August 2011

At one point in the film there's a lingering shot of a snail, as if an obvious metaphor that Womb gestates ever so slowly in its story, covering decades of its characters' lives, and does so in such a bleak and loving fashion that it provides you breathing space that sets you thinking in each scene, akin to observing the quietest kid in class who turns out to be the most explosive. If you've read the synopsis by now you'd know this film deals with the issues associated with cloning, and finds kindred spirits with films such as Jonathan Glazer's Birth and especially Mark Romanek's Never Let Me Go.

Hungarian writer-director Benedek Fliegauf tackles his first English language film with Womb, exploring an intense underlying love story that's treated and shot with Zen minimalist principles against the hauntingly beautiful backdrop of Sylt and other equally amazing landscapes in and around Hamburg. Technical strengths in presenting this film cannot be ignored, such as how patiently quiet the narrative is with little dialogue, allow emotions to overwhelm on screen, with sound intricately designed around emotions of frustration, anger and fear. Simply put, this is one journey spanning lifetimes that you'd have to open your heart out to, checking that nagging thought process about the plausibleness of the story at the door, otherwise you'll find yourself deeply muddled given that this in essence is like a science fiction fantasy.

It's a story about attraction, and how inexplicable it can sometimes be, as if of a chemical nature that draws one's attention to another, and how we are thought to be wired up to be attracted to a certain type, profile, or genetic make up, with the latter of course playing a big role in this film since it involves the cloning of a human being, and the existential exploration of whether a clone can ever be the same as its original, or the degree it is so similar. It raises interesting arguments about that of nature versus nurture, since one's personality and values are catalyzed by the growing up process, and while one can be grown from a petri dish, events that shape one's character are external and cannot be controlled, somehow.

But Womb pushes that boundary a little bit further. What if it involves a surrogate mother, won't her 9 months pregnancy in carrying the foetus play a part, and like the film had shown, care had been taken to grow the subject in a fairly controlled environment. Rebecca (Eva Green) and Tommy (Matt Smith) are on the cusp of a budding romantic relationship, where their years apart since young didn't even seem to damper their strong emotions toward each other, only for a sudden road accident to cruelly snatch one away from the other. In what would be a controversial move, Rebecca enrolls to have herself impregnated and becoming the surrogate mother of Tommy's clone, for the selfish belief that in doing so will allow Tommy to live again, much to the disappointment and shock of Tommy's mother, who chose to depart rather than to see a mirror of her lost child in another human being, now brought up by another woman.

It's the ultimate possessive love story, where one can now boast of having being there right from the start of a lover's life, nurturing him from a toddler to a young adult, to the point where one last left off. In most love stories, the feel good factor post tragedy is to discover one expecting the child of a lover now deceased, but in Womb and to a degree of morbidity, it's now the expecting of the lover himself that raises plenty of alarm bells, especially when sexual attraction comes into play, and clearly with the ulterior motive and desire to want to somehow break through strong taboos when opportune, to continue where the lovers last left off. But with Tommy 2 hooking up with a new found girlfriend in Monica (Hannah Murray), with the last act dealing with this three-way relationship, with the audience firmly in the know of how conflicted Rebecca must have felt.

Here's where Eva Green shines in playing a hopeful teenager to a woman who's confused, jealous and probably with a tinge of being jilted, unable to say the truth which she had hidden so well for years. Fans of Dr Who will probably lap at the chance of watching their hero in Matt Smith play the Tommy role, being a youth cut down before his prime, then in his second role as the relatively immature teenager who has yet to know what's in store for him when unexpected events get set in motion.-

So what got the censors here hot and heavy and to charge this with the highest rating possible, outside of an outright ban, is how there's a pervasive feeling of sexual attraction that never goes away, when Tommy 2 starts to appear in Rebecca's life. Granted that a mother naturally shows unconditional love toward her child, this one has a very explicit hint of intent that provokes. Take up the challenge with this unconventional love story, and see if you'd squirm when you get past the amazing visuals to reach its controversial, and to some, shocking, core,

complex

Author: edumacated from United States
21 July 2011

this is an emotionally and morally complex film.

the setting is bare, the dialog minimal, and all to leave room for the context which is massive.

the isolation serves to preserve the womb till the moment of all release, and therefore the moment of ultimate loss. there are many quiet metaphors in this film.

and it is these quiet choices that show some brilliant forethought on the part of the film-makers. it is brilliant film-making. if you can get past the squirminess of it all. and no doubt some day soon, if science has its way -as it will- this story will come true. just over a hundred years ago most believed that man would never fly.

Disturbing. Emotional. Brilliant.

Author: josephwiner from United Kingdom
6 June 2012

When first reading about this film, I thought to myself there is no way I shall be watching this; however, somehow I did end up watching it.

Eva Green was absolutely incredible and gave true meaning to the character. The character's constant state of shock is beautifully performed and she manages to keep the character so real and uses naturalistic dexterity. As for Matt Smith, he brought a true sense of innocence to his character and really allowed himself to connect to the audience as a third-party character.

Director, Benedek Fliegauf, did a superb job at keeping the realism of the piece. Often with these types of story lines, they lose meaning due to over acting and melodrama, however the director allowed everything to have a sense of stillness and time was a fantastic theme used throughout the story. The use of water that appeared a lot was very well crafted to represent the process of life to death; and this had good relation to the story itself.

As I don't want to give away too much, I shall just say the final scene left me in tears. Whilst the concept is rather disturbing, as it contradicts morals and is extremely controversial, it was played out in such a way, it allows the viewer to actually connect with the characters and see the situation from their point of view. It's a great example of how the bad can be perceived as good and how viewers can emotionally connect with characters, who did seem ever so real.

"Womb" and the essence of understatement

Author: huh_oh_i_c from Earth, Solar system
9 August 2011

SPOILERS!

This is a very sparse film as far as dialogue and plot development goes. It's very rich in imagery, and the images are indeed beautiful. I mean that one has to pay attention when one watches this, because it might seem a slow movie, with the abundance of shots of the German coast, and snails and skies, but the story develops at a brisk pace in the beginning. It's all highly implicit, the passage of time is indicated by characters being played by different actors, but especially in the case of the boy Tommie, they look sometimes so similar, it's really hard to tell.

Remarkable about this movie is the start, there's very little dialogue, it's just a lazy recording of kids laying about or sitting and staring. There's a lot of that. I guess the director found his inner Sergio Leone and liked the famous opening of Once upon a time in the West ... a lot. Here, the filmmakers are exaggerating the adage that you shouldn't tell too much, because only later I've learned that this part of the movie, when the main protagonists are kids, is supposed to be a whole summer, and not just a few days, as I initially thought. Very careful handling of the nudity as well. They'll get burned for it anyways, but it's craftily not showing any nudity.

Whether what Rebecca (Eva Green) does is actual incest is kind of debatable. What's noticeable is that she let's him call her mother, and mom, and he does so a lot. Perhaps to underline the impossibility of it all. At the end, Thomas calls her explicitly Rebecca and not Mother, to indicate the changed relationship.

There's also some irony to let the black mother, the obese mother and the elderly mother display such prejudice towards the 'copies', because it's these groups especially who have suffered from immense prejudices themselves, but apparently they aren't afraid to do it to others.

I think it's always risky to take a comedian and let him play a serious drama role, especially when he has the same facial ticks that he has as Dr. Who. Here and there I've read that the director didn't really know what Dr. Who was, or that Matt played him.

The acting performances are quality all around, and it's nice to see a vibrant Hannah Murray. I hadn't seen her since season 1 of Skins and it's always uncertain how child actresses turn out at a later age. She looks younger than her 21 years and is a very decent actress, I'm curious to see what she would do with a more challenging role.

Well I liked it. Matt and Eva are brilliant.

Author: shannondunne-484-277474 from London
23 September 2012

Okay, so the reason I watched this movie was for Matt Smith, I originally saw him in Doctor Who and let me just say -

This was a far cry from that role.

Yes, I do love Matt Smith as an actor, I am not into his looks, but he - in my opinion - was perfectly suited for the role.

He has great chemistry with Eva and the ending made me cry.

I really recommend watching Womb, it is unique.

Not much was said throughout the film, but it was so full of emotion, nothing HAD to be said.

I'm going to give it a 9, again, really brilliant film from two amazing actors and I would love to see something along the lines of this movie again.

Engrossing, well-made film

Author: natamity from Australia
28 December 2013

This movie delivers everything I seek in cinema: Beautiful cinematography; artistic, engaging direction; thought-provoking. It's quiet,subtle, beautiful, at times intense and had me engrossed throughout. The set location and cinematography is as much a part of the story telling as the dialogue is, with quiet moments filled with cold, stark and beautiful landscapes that serve to enrich the feelings and situations conveyed by the characters, as well as providing a rich atmosphere. It's one of those rare movies that really pull you into another world, one which lingers and haunts you long after the movie has ended. I watched this film yesterday and am already wanting to revisit it.

Certain scenes made me feel uneasy, but rightfully so, given the subject matter. The sensitive story-line is conveyed well by all involved, enabling the viewer to empathize with both of the main characters instead of feeling alienated from them, which such a story could have easily done. I think it was a clever move to not linger upon or delve much into the complexities of the actual cloning process and to instead focus on the lives and emotions of the characters before and after that event. I do think the story would have benefited from spending more time on the development of the love felt between the two main characters. The director has said that they spent the whole summer together as children, yet this is not evident in the film. Still, I don't believe the movie suffered from this as the acting by Eva Green is strong enough to convey this aspect of the film.

The topic of human cloning is a controversial and complex one and that in this day and age - when it is not so much a sci-fi idea as opposed to a real possibility - deserves to be pondered upon. A fictional, two hour movie cannot hope to provide any real answer to any of the concerns posed by such a topic, but what this film manages to do is take on aspects of the topic and turn them into a quite beautiful and thoughtful work of art. 8/10.

Movie that creates a platform for debate

Author: Mela O from Canada
25 July 2011

This movie is not for those who are looking for action or for a fast paced movie. The movie takes you to the very beginning and takes it's time to build the relationships that will eventually be the cause for the controversial decision made by the main character. There is one scene that happens so suddenly and it is this event that brings about the controversial issue in this film. The acting is done really well by the few characters that we see, they seem immersed in the situation, filled with as much emotion as you would expect. The second half of the movie will have you debating with others and yourself on what stance you would take. And perhaps as you're watching the movie you have an idea of what the outcome will be, but the movie engages you to keep watching to see how it all plays out in this unique situation that we're presented with.

loneliness

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
4 January 2013

a delicate subject. and great performances. result - a kind of poem. bitter, strange, sinful, melancholic, full of cages and traps. for me, it is only a form of piece search. levels - love, hope, desire to stop time. and guilty as mirror - wall. its heart - profound loneliness. by the others, by yourself because not the multiplication of a human been is question but the fragile relation with your gesture. Eva Green goes a magnificent role. a huge embroidery with lines of silence and cold words, with the circle of a prison as home and , far from everybody, like an isle, recreating the past. a painful-wise movie. a meditation in skin of parable. because Rebecca is only part of many from us.