Womb (2010) Poster

(2010)

37 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A Delicate portrait of loneliness and lost love.
leonthesleepy8 May 2012
Womb is an excellent drama that is unfortunately marketed the wrong way.

If your first impression of the film is that its an Erotic drama on incest, you couldn't be further from the truth.

The premise itself should be a guideline for whether or not you should watch this film.

"After a tragic accident, a woman decides to clone her lover, and raise him from infancy to adult." The less you know about Womb, the better the experience will be. Suffice to say, its an extremely well made, and honest drama about not being able to let go, and the consequences that follow.

The story centers around Tommy and Rebecca. After the accident, Rebecca makes the controversial decision to clone Tommy to raise him as a child.

Why? To get back her lover? To raise the child she never had? The film never spoon feeds us, and we're left with Eva Greens brilliant performance to see Rebecca unravel.

We see her care about the Tommy's clone, and genuinely wants to be a good mother, but there's an underlying foreboding with the possibility of incest. Rebecca struggles to keep her feelings to being a mother, but there's obvious jealously when women come into Tommy's life, and thats the main conflict of the film.

Certainly, this taboo possibility is the main drive of the second half of the film, but its much more than that.

Womb is brilliant because of how well its crafted.

There is an isolation to the film, landscapes and vistas are limited to long stretches of seas and beaches.

Music is sparse too, there's a haunting recurring theme that plays during decades, and emphasizes the long time span of the story.

Dialogue is minimum , and the film never lingers on a certain time period.

Yet we miss nothing. Womb focuses not on the conversations and events, but rather the emotions the characters go through. What we are left with is a deep morality love story that transcends decades.

Regardless of how you feel about the inevitable outcome, the struggles presented on screen is one of the more complex modern love stories. Its not about Lust, but of how blind we can get in our desires to get our loved ones back.

Its not for everyone though, due to the slow paced nature of the film, the more you give yourself to the film, the more you will get.

Its also not exactly the happiest film made. The depressive tone of the film may be too much for some, but it stays true to itself, and benefits greatly from it.

This paired with the taboo subject material, led with questionable marketing, will probably scare off people, which is a shame, because this is far from the pretentious love story people seem to think it is.

See it if you can, its definitely a hauntingly beautiful film that makes you think long after the credits roll.

P.S, this is my first real review, let me know what you guys think! THANKS!
153 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quiet, Cold, Stunning!
Jimmy Collins17 August 2011
Films with lingering shots of a beach or a face or a road to me can sometimes come off as pretentious dribble, not the case with Womb, I found this movie to be absolutely stunning. There's no other word for it, some people would easily find this movie to be boring due to the extremely slow pace and lack of dialogue, but in my opinion that all just adds to the atmosphere that the director was trying to create.

There is no way at all to tell what year this film is set but I'm guessing it would be in the not too distant future, let's face it, the advances in science these days it's not too long before human cloning will be a part of our society. A lot of things I've heard about Womb quite often compare it to Birth, which is a pretty good comparison I think, both films have a lot of similarities. I couldn't help but pick up vibes from another film Never Let Me Go, the controversial subject matter is similar, the underlying sci-fi element, the moral question the viewer faces and the stillness of both films are very much the same.

Eva Green is wonderful to watch, she gives such a wonderfully restrained performance that's it's surprising she didn't get noticed more for her role. Ever since I saw the terrific Cracks a few years ago I look forward to seeing what edgy role she decides to take on next, Matt Smith, who I'm not so familiar with also does a good job. The children at the beginning of the film deserve a mention too, it seems as though child actors are just getting better and better as time goes on.

Certainly not a film for everyone, but for people who like a bit of a discussion after a film it's perfect.

LOVED IT!!!
68 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: Womb
DICK STEEL6 August 2011
At one point in the film there's a lingering shot of a snail, as if an obvious metaphor that Womb gestates ever so slowly in its story, covering decades of its characters' lives, and does so in such a bleak and loving fashion that it provides you breathing space that sets you thinking in each scene, akin to observing the quietest kid in class who turns out to be the most explosive. If you've read the synopsis by now you'd know this film deals with the issues associated with cloning, and finds kindred spirits with films such as Jonathan Glazer's Birth and especially Mark Romanek's Never Let Me Go.

Hungarian writer-director Benedek Fliegauf tackles his first English language film with Womb, exploring an intense underlying love story that's treated and shot with Zen minimalist principles against the hauntingly beautiful backdrop of Sylt and other equally amazing landscapes in and around Hamburg. Technical strengths in presenting this film cannot be ignored, such as how patiently quiet the narrative is with little dialogue, allow emotions to overwhelm on screen, with sound intricately designed around emotions of frustration, anger and fear. Simply put, this is one journey spanning lifetimes that you'd have to open your heart out to, checking that nagging thought process about the plausibleness of the story at the door, otherwise you'll find yourself deeply muddled given that this in essence is like a science fiction fantasy.

It's a story about attraction, and how inexplicable it can sometimes be, as if of a chemical nature that draws one's attention to another, and how we are thought to be wired up to be attracted to a certain type, profile, or genetic make up, with the latter of course playing a big role in this film since it involves the cloning of a human being, and the existential exploration of whether a clone can ever be the same as its original, or the degree it is so similar. It raises interesting arguments about that of nature versus nurture, since one's personality and values are catalyzed by the growing up process, and while one can be grown from a petri dish, events that shape one's character are external and cannot be controlled, somehow.

But Womb pushes that boundary a little bit further. What if it involves a surrogate mother, won't her 9 months pregnancy in carrying the foetus play a part, and like the film had shown, care had been taken to grow the subject in a fairly controlled environment. Rebecca (Eva Green) and Tommy (Matt Smith) are on the cusp of a budding romantic relationship, where their years apart since young didn't even seem to damper their strong emotions toward each other, only for a sudden road accident to cruelly snatch one away from the other. In what would be a controversial move, Rebecca enrolls to have herself impregnated and becoming the surrogate mother of Tommy's clone, for the selfish belief that in doing so will allow Tommy to live again, much to the disappointment and shock of Tommy's mother, who chose to depart rather than to see a mirror of her lost child in another human being, now brought up by another woman.

It's the ultimate possessive love story, where one can now boast of having being there right from the start of a lover's life, nurturing him from a toddler to a young adult, to the point where one last left off. In most love stories, the feel good factor post tragedy is to discover one expecting the child of a lover now deceased, but in Womb and to a degree of morbidity, it's now the expecting of the lover himself that raises plenty of alarm bells, especially when sexual attraction comes into play, and clearly with the ulterior motive and desire to want to somehow break through strong taboos when opportune, to continue where the lovers last left off. But with Tommy 2 hooking up with a new found girlfriend in Monica (Hannah Murray), with the last act dealing with this three-way relationship, with the audience firmly in the know of how conflicted Rebecca must have felt.

Here's where Eva Green shines in playing a hopeful teenager to a woman who's confused, jealous and probably with a tinge of being jilted, unable to say the truth which she had hidden so well for years. Fans of Dr Who will probably lap at the chance of watching their hero in Matt Smith play the Tommy role, being a youth cut down before his prime, then in his second role as the relatively immature teenager who has yet to know what's in store for him when unexpected events get set in motion.-

So what got the censors here hot and heavy and to charge this with the highest rating possible, outside of an outright ban, is how there's a pervasive feeling of sexual attraction that never goes away, when Tommy 2 starts to appear in Rebecca's life. Granted that a mother naturally shows unconditional love toward her child, this one has a very explicit hint of intent that provokes. Take up the challenge with this unconventional love story, and see if you'd squirm when you get past the amazing visuals to reach its controversial, and to some, shocking, core,
61 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disturbing. Emotional. Brilliant.
josephwiner6 June 2012
When first reading about this film, I thought to myself there is no way I shall be watching this; however, somehow I did end up watching it.

Eva Green was absolutely incredible and gave true meaning to the character. The character's constant state of shock is beautifully performed and she manages to keep the character so real and uses naturalistic dexterity. As for Matt Smith, he brought a true sense of innocence to his character and really allowed himself to connect to the audience as a third-party character.

Director, Benedek Fliegauf, did a superb job at keeping the realism of the piece. Often with these types of story lines, they lose meaning due to over acting and melodrama, however the director allowed everything to have a sense of stillness and time was a fantastic theme used throughout the story. The use of water that appeared a lot was very well crafted to represent the process of life to death; and this had good relation to the story itself.

As I don't want to give away too much, I shall just say the final scene left me in tears. Whilst the concept is rather disturbing, as it contradicts morals and is extremely controversial, it was played out in such a way, it allows the viewer to actually connect with the characters and see the situation from their point of view. It's a great example of how the bad can be perceived as good and how viewers can emotionally connect with characters, who did seem ever so real.
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Engrossing, well-made film
natamity28 December 2013
This movie delivers everything I seek in cinema: Entrancing cinematography, engaging direction, stirring of emotions and challenging themes. It's beautiful, intense and had me engrossed throughout. The cold, stark and stunning set locations are as much a part of the story telling as the dialogue is, serving to enrich the feelings and situations conveyed by the characters. It is a quiet film filled with visual beauty and soul. This is one of those rare movies that pulls you into another world, one which lingers and haunts you long after the movie has ended. I watched this film yesterday and am already wanting to revisit it.

Certain scenes made me feel uneasy, but rightfully so, given the subject matter. The sensitive story-line is conveyed well by all involved, enabling the viewer to empathise with both of the main characters rather than feeling alienated from them, which was a possibility with such a story-line. I think it was a clever move to not linger upon or delve much into the complexities of the actual cloning process and instead focus on the lives and emotions of the characters before and after that event. The film would have benefited from further developing the love formed between the two main characters as children so as we can better appreciate the intensity of their feelings when they meet again as adults. The director has said that they spent the whole summer together as children, yet this is not evident in the film. Still, I don't believe the movie suffered from this lapse as the acting by Eva Green is strong enough to convey her character's intensity and give reason to the choices she made.

The topic of human cloning is a controversial and complex one and in this day and age is not as much science-fiction as it is a genuine possibility in our future. A fictional, two hour film cannot hope to provide any real answer to any of the concerns posed by such a topic, but what this film manages to do is take on some emotional aspects of the topic and turn them into a haunting and thoughtful work of art. 9/10.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
complex
edumacated21 July 2011
this is an emotionally and morally complex film.

the setting is bare, the dialog minimal, and all to leave room for the context which is massive.

the isolation serves to preserve the womb till the moment of all release, and therefore the moment of ultimate loss. there are many quiet metaphors in this film.

and it is these quiet choices that show some brilliant forethought on the part of the film-makers. it is brilliant film-making. if you can get past the squirminess of it all. and no doubt some day soon, if science has its way -as it will- this story will come true. just over a hundred years ago most believed that man would never fly.
55 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well I liked it. Matt and Eva are brilliant.
shannondunne-484-27747423 September 2012
Okay, so the reason I watched this movie was for Matt Smith, I originally saw him in Doctor Who and let me just say -

This was a far cry from that role.

Yes, I do love Matt Smith as an actor, I am not into his looks, but he - in my opinion - was perfectly suited for the role.

He has great chemistry with Eva and the ending made me cry.

I really recommend watching Womb, it is unique.

Not much was said throughout the film, but it was so full of emotion, nothing HAD to be said.

I'm going to give it a 9, again, really brilliant film from two amazing actors and I would love to see something along the lines of this movie again.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Womb" and the essence of understatement
huh_oh_i_c9 August 2011
SPOILERS!

This is a very sparse film as far as dialogue and plot development goes. It's very rich in imagery, and the images are indeed beautiful. I mean that one has to pay attention when one watches this, because it might seem a slow movie, with the abundance of shots of the German coast, and snails and skies, but the story develops at a brisk pace in the beginning. It's all highly implicit, the passage of time is indicated by characters being played by different actors, but especially in the case of the boy Tommie, they look sometimes so similar, it's really hard to tell.

Remarkable about this movie is the start, there's very little dialogue, it's just a recording of kids lounging about or sitting and staring into space. There's a lot of that. I guess the director found his inner Sergio Leone and liked the famous opening of "C'era una volta il West (1968)" ...a lot. Here, the filmmakers are exaggerating the adage that you shouldn't tell too much, because only later I've learned that this part of the movie, when the main protagonists are kids, is supposed to be a whole summer, and not just a few days, as I initially thought. Very careful handling of the nudity as well. They'll get burned for it anyways, but it's craftily not showing any nudity.

Whether what Rebecca (Eva Green) does is actual incest is kind of debatable. What's noticeable is that she let's him call her mother, and mom, and he does so a lot. Perhaps to underline the impossibility of it all. At the end, Thomas calls her explicitly Rebecca and not Mother, to indicate the changed relationship.

There's also some irony to let the black mother, the obese mother and the elderly mother display such prejudice towards the 'copies', because it's these groups especially who have suffered from immense prejudices themselves, but apparently they aren't afraid to do it to others.

I think it's always risky to take a comedian and let him play a serious drama role, especially when he has the same facial ticks that he has as Dr. Who. Here and there I've read that the director didn't really know what Dr. Who was, or that Matt played him.

The acting performances are quality all around, and it's nice to see a vibrant Hannah Murray. I hadn't seen her since season 1 of Skins and it's always uncertain how child actresses turn out at a later age. She looks younger than her 21 years and is a very decent actress, I'm curious to see what she would do with a more challenging role.

The Melancholic Alcoholic.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A visually and mentally stunning film
James Schaefer24 January 2014
A masterpiece. One of the most challenging, beautiful, quiet, amazing films I've ever seen. I regret not seeing this incredibly beautiful film on the big screen. Simply long, gorgeous shots of cold and intriguing beach scenes, no music to intrude on the subtle sounds of the places and people or to make the mind set up an emotion - connecting you more with the characters and the somewhat ethereal photography. There is not a lot of dialog delivered, the story told mostly with visual feelings and mood, close ups mixed with grand panoramic views draw you into the tale deliciously, with an overall appealing test of your morals. Eva Green is at her sensually crazy best, her eyes telling volumes of the ambivalence she has for her situation. Most will have predicted what must eventually happen but one is shocked by the outcome anyway. This film is not for everyone, yet even if it disturbs you, it will have moved you to think about one of the strangest and sincerest love stories ever depicted. For those with an open mind, you just might be able to condone the main character's controversial decision.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Movie that creates a platform for debate
Mela O25 July 2011
This movie is not for those who are looking for action or for a fast paced movie. The movie takes you to the very beginning and takes it's time to build the relationships that will eventually be the cause for the controversial decision made by the main character. There is one scene that happens so suddenly and it is this event that brings about the controversial issue in this film. The acting is done really well by the few characters that we see, they seem immersed in the situation, filled with as much emotion as you would expect. The second half of the movie will have you debating with others and yourself on what stance you would take. And perhaps as you're watching the movie you have an idea of what the outcome will be, but the movie engages you to keep watching to see how it all plays out in this unique situation that we're presented with.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
loneliness
Armand4 January 2013
a delicate subject. and great performances. result - a kind of poem. bitter, strange, sinful, melancholic, full of cages and traps. for me, it is only a form of piece search. levels - love, hope, desire to stop time. and guilty as mirror - wall. its heart - profound loneliness. by the others, by yourself because not the multiplication of a human been is question but the fragile relation with your gesture. Eva Green goes a magnificent role. a huge embroidery with lines of silence and cold words, with the circle of a prison as home and , far from everybody, like an isle, recreating the past. a painful-wise movie. a meditation in skin of parable. because Rebecca is only part of many from us.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thanks, but no.
Stephen_Hawkwind23 October 2011
This film, along with Never Let Me Go, might be the start of a new genre. Mumblecore science fiction, anyone? Both of these movies take a shot at delivering Very Profound Questions to an audience struggling to not burst out crying at the emotive depth of the incredibly touching human drama unfolding at snail's pace on screen. Or so the directors like to think. In Womb, The Great Idea circumnavigates the plot holes admirably, and the wafer-thin characters are brimming over with Love and struggling to come to terms with their sheer Humanity in virtually every shot. Its all rather dull, and, in a low-key fashion, incredibly pompous. Please, all you directors who feel a sudden urge to regale the audience with Deep Truths about Life - stay away from science fiction (unless you're Terrence Malick). Although I have to admit that Eva Green has perfected the enigmatic Mona Lisa-smile. From what I hear she's become pretty much unbeatable in the ring - she will floor you with that smile, flooding your mind with capitalised abstract nouns.
25 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful photography...but that's it
Nicola Smith18 December 2012
The theme of the film is haunting, provocative, controversial and irresistible. I had to see it as soon as I read the synopsis. It started hauntigly enough, with a pregnant woman and a beautiful beach. I am not going to go into details as far as the plot is concerned but this was supposed to be a love story. A woman clones and gives birth to a man who she is supposed to be in love with but not out of love, out of guilt, she felt guilty he died. I hate it when you know the director meant for the viewer to feel a certain emotion at a certain time and I felt none of that. I didn't feel the connection between the characters. In the beginning they were friends, than something more but not lovers, than a mother and child and in the end...well, see for yourself if you want to feel as if you have just wasted a couple of hours of your life. Great idea, really poorly executed.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stomach churning, not something to particularly watch again
Tomas Maly14 April 2012
OK so I guess the whole point of the movie was to be disturbing, maybe to raise question about genetic manipulation, cloning, etc, ie just where to draw the line.

The movie is definitely memorable, similar in concept to Birth, and I definitely respect it as a piece of art/film, but there are few lingering things that leave me not particularly enjoying the movie. It's definitely not something I'd watch again. It also reminds me of the trite European sci-fi drama crap with Kirsten Dunst called "Melancholia". Both movies had a sci-fi element, both were minimal in dialogue, both took place remotely and in isolated circumstances, both were crap.

1) The biggest blunder/frustration I have is that if you can get a live sample of DNA from a dead body, why couldn't the hospital just have gotten a live sample of the man's sperm (sperm can survive for several days in the right environment, and longer, if frozen), so the main character could have a legitimate baby and not just some weird clone? I don't care how disturbed, possessive, isolated, smothering of a person you are, who in their right mind would choose to raise their former lover from birth and then think anything good (non-controversial) could come from that once they are grown up? I understand a lot of the movie's premise/controversy/purpose would be moot if there was no cloning involved.

There's something definitely mentally disturbing/ill about the decisions of the main character. Who would be so stuck in the past, deliberately trying to somehow 'prevent' the past from happening, by letting it play out all over again? Who in their right mind would not at least TRY to move on, move away, live a new life, be around people, etc? It seems obsessive, possessive, selfish, and mentally disturbing.

2) What's with the sex scene at the end? I totally understand the moments of sexual attraction/arousal by the mother, but why wouldn't the son be completely repulsed at the mother? So despite a life-time of being used to being around a woman as his 'mother', he suddenly becomes perversely attracted to her in an instant of emotional change just because he realizes he's a clone of her past lover and not the child of this woman?

3) I think I spent more time annoyed/disturbed at why it looked like Tommy had no eyebrows (and why his eyes looked so close together, compared to the little child). Comparing the little red-headed child and the adult, I think the adult Tommy was cast all wrong.

4) I am getting tired at watching movies of the beautiful Eva Green playing quiet and disturbed individuals. I enjoyed her in Casino Royale, playing James Bond's love that broke his heart. I'd like to see her in a movie that is more positive/up-beat, maybe something more of a rom-com than a plain drama.

5) The location of the film (isolated beach town) seems to fit the mood of possessiveness, isolation, emotional disturbedness, etc but I wonder how the film could have developed more depth, life, meaning, etc in a place with more people, characters, life, etc. The idea of living a life in isolation out of some self-interested purpose really just makes me miserable. The idea of living alone, purposely, scares me.

6) The feeling I am left with at the end of the movie is more of being disturbed emotionally than anything else. Maybe that's the point, but I would have hoped (somehow) for more of a sense of redemption, hope, something positive. There is a certain superficiality to that, and very American, and I guess that's just not the European way in film.
10 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Weirdest film ever but so good
abbie_howell11 August 2013
This film is so weird and abnormal. I don't think I've ever seen a film that's as weird as this one. But, the film is also great! It really makes you think about the moral implications of cloning. For this reason, I also think that the film is awesome.

Matt's acting is superb and completely convincing. You really feel for his character. Eva Green's performance is heartbreaking.

The film made me laugh and cry. I have had long discussions about this film with many of my friends for weeks after seeing it. The film is definitely a talking point. It sparked rife debate between me and my friends which not many films can do so thank you.

To be honest, I feel that there is only one word that can properly sum up my feelings about this film. This film is 100% abnosome.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting
MattyGibbs14 November 2012
This is a sparse and beautifully filmed sci-fi drama, very much along the lines of Never Let Me Go.

The subject matter makes this an uncomfortable film to watch and it is almost unrelentingly bleak. The dark tone of the film is augmented by the stunning cinematography which were the highlight of the film for me.

The performances are only so so. I am not a fan of Matt Smith who is merely adequate. Eva Green does a better job as the mother/girlfriend. The rest of the cast are good but are given very limited screen time.

The film doesn't really go anywhere but for me it never got boring. It does raise some interesting questions about cloning without ramming them down your throat.

It was a much better film than I thought it would be and if you don't mind slow moving drama is well worth a watch.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Movie, deserves a look once if you love love movies.
sutd23 July 2011
Eva Green is an excellent actress and performs this complex role with extreme dignity and restraint. No overacting. Excellent photography except that they could have the pace a little more lively with a few more dialogs. The director does a good job of this complex love story telling form. There is lot of silence and it unravels its story at a very slow pace. I have been a fan of Eva Green since I saw Casino Royale. You see her very little on the screen. The camera tells the story by lingering on and on at the characters. The end could have different by not leaving the loneliness in Eva Green's character's life.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful Train Wreck at Disturbing Junction
elizagiff21 November 2013
I don't know if I have spoilers t I refuse to edit my review for them!Apologies. This movie was indeed a shocking sci-fi masterpiece.Not due to the scenery(which is stunning and moody)or the effects(which are nonexistent)but because someone's wonderfully disturbed and twisted brain had the courage to go to it's darkest place and make no apology for it.The honesty and the rawness of loss are both potent themes and powerful weapons in this film just as sure as they are in life.Womb will test your moral compass to explosion and make you wonder what you are rooting for in the film.Do you want to see the heroine get the partner she lost and desperately craves recreated for her very own happy ending,or do you want the mother in her to rise up and cherish the piece of life she helped create in the way only a mother can?It is a very difficult decision and the sparsity of the dialog gives you time to sit with this inner turmoil and really examine where your own mind rests on the topic until you get sick at yourself for realizing you understand it both ways. Eva Green does a wonderful job at retaining the inner bubble you wish would pop.She makes the entire process look easy and logical while still being a smidgen more than completely demented.You almost believe she has a handle on her own sanity as Rebecca.This wonderful, self challenging film will make you wish electricity was never invented(much less the discovery of DNA mapping)if this is the direction science and human tendencies are headed.Thank you for being so fearless, brave and self confident to let your creativity drive this train headed for certain destruction!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slow moving shocker
mollidew13 May 2012
These days it seems a lot of artsy movies are coming on the scene in many genres. I can't say I like the trend but I managed to watch all of this movie. It moved so slowly that I often thought the snail a good metaphor for the movie itself. I am not an avid fan of Dr. Who, so I didn't know who Mr. Smith was as an actor. I thought he did a pretty good job but at times his reactions were a bit odd and the things he did. I don't see the idea of incest really that relevant in the movie. For some reason I thought the first scene was the consequences of what happened at the end and not her being a surrogate to bring back the love of her life. He wasn't of her flesh and blood so it's debatable that anything they did was actually wrong even though he had thought she was his biological Mother through all of his growing up. The fact of the matter being that she was not. It examines what makes people attracted to each other but it doesn't really answer that question. There is a lot of silence with the little bit of dialog to leave it up to the audience to interpret. The scenery was beautiful but lonely and isolated. She gave up her life to get back this person she loved so much. It's a very sad story and a good wake-up call as to whether cloning humans is the wave of the future. How would they relate to their identity? Would they have residual memories of their previous life or be independent? Would they be shunned by society and especially the religious elitists? It's a very thought provoking movie. I felt sorry in the end for Rebecca and Tommie.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Solid drama sci-fi that makes you look outside of the box.
Seth_Rogue_One8 April 2016
With a plot about conceiving and cloning your dead beloved I expected this movie to possibly become all kinds of disturbing.

Luckily, the script is dealt with the hands of a director and a cast who handled the script delicately and on a humane level.

That's not to say that this movie is politically correct in any way or won't be disturbing to some, but events that many directors would play for shock-value are dealt with in a way that it feels natural and it deals with mainly grey areas, a complicated issue never have a easy solution after all.

Despite being very slow I was never bored and it sustain my interest throughout, a lot to do with some excellent acting, especially Eva Green shines.

It's also visually very pleasing for the eyes with some very good cinematography.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It was decent, but . . .
nerdier-than-thou31 July 2017
So I sat down one evening to watch a disturbing little art film about Eva Green and Matt Smith and cloning and maybe a little bit of incest. And I got that, mostly. But do you know what I got that I was completely unprepared for? A little boy dragging a long sheet of plastic that he had obviously gotten from the beach right through Eva Green's living room, with her just watching and saying nothing. Some child who is there as a GUEST and she just lets him bring garbage into her home. Matt Smith constantly standing just a little too close? I can take it. Children slowly burying a mechanical toy dinosaur while it pitifully tries to walk? Easy. Weird sexual tension between a mother and her son, culminating in a sex scene that made me want to squirm out of my skin? I lived. But that sheet of dirty plastic being dragged through that living room. That is the scene that will haunt me for the rest of my days.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I wasn't prepared
MaxHaydon199418 July 2017
*contains spoilers*

I watched this film due to being a huge Doctor Who fan and subsequently a fan of Matt Smith as an actor.

Also the concept was intriguing, a woman giving birth to a clone of her lover. I don't think however I was quite prepared for how messed up this film really was.

Is that to say it wasn't good? that it wasn't entertaining? not at all. But you should not go into watching this film with a close mind.

I went into this film..however open minded, extremely under prepared for the themes of incest. We witness a disturbing mother son relationship which given the circumstances of his birth is barely surprising.

Despite what is undoubtedly a very weird story and some very uncomfortable scenes, this film is built on a great concept and for the most part executed beautifully.

It was a particular highlight to see Matt Smith and Eva Green's combined performances which bring's the movie together.

I could have easily rated this film an 8 or 9/10 if some of the uncomfortable scenes had been trimmed but taking all into account I'd give it a solid 7/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How did they get this turd to stick to film???
harleyx7 August 2011
I keep looking for the negative rating chart. This is one of the worst piles of slop I have ever had the displeasure of sitting through. Who do I sue to get the 2 hours of my life back that are wasted???

The story was ridiculous, the plot was pure idiocy, the acting was dismal and emotionless at best. OK, so someone falls in love, then one of them dies. What do you do? Get pregnant with his clone! Yea, that makes TOTAL sense. Then (oh it gets better) DON'T AGE as your son/lover-clone grows to manhood.

I know there are those out there who would call this 'artsy' or 'indie', but crap is crap, no matter how you try to shine it up.

Pardon me while I go try to wash this out of my eyes.
15 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
only potentials
nerdingsince199618 May 2014
the plus side of this movie is its concept. i think, the idea is original and intriguing, touching topics that to some people might find disturbing. The script has potential, but lack realization. the filmmakers didn't do the script justice. i will list the aspects that bothers me. one, acting performance, Eva Green is a good actress, but in this movie there are a lot of close up scenes that hard to pull and sometimes she could do it, sometimes she couldn't. Mark Smith didn't do a very good job portraying his character. the chemistry felt off for me, of course, it's all about preferences, but in a complicated romance movie like this it's crucial. two, the pace, it was so slow, to slow, the are a lot of unnecessary pause, there is a ten seconds shot of a dog, the character's walking in the beach, which was shot from afar (uninteresting, i would be better to have it close up), one person walking away(it take to long), unnecessary paused of one dialog to another(when it should be answered immediately), a lot of emotionless close up scenes (which i think take to long again). three, the sound, there aren't any scores, which was fine if it would feel natural, BUT jumping from one silent scene to loud waves, just no. and without score, it would depends on the actors to deliver emotional or dramatic scenes, and the they failed. so, all in all, it was a very boring movie, it's a good thing i can fast forward it.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slow but still worth a look (maybe)...
Andy Steel19 November 2012
I know this is not a film that everyone will like; the slow pacing and the fact it's about relationships will put many off. But if you're prepared to be patient it does throw up some very interesting questions. I loved the way it was shot and the haunting score (by Max Richter) fitted the piece perfectly. I think the visuals would have had a little more impact on the big screen, but I still found it quite an impressive visual feast. On a dramatic level I did find it was a little too serious and a little levity here and there would have helped. Other than that I found it perfectly acceptable, although I freely admit it may not be to everyone's taste.

SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 6.8/10

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this