IMDb > Leap Year (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

An absolute delight

Author: barbicane3333 from United States
9 January 2010

I saw Leap Year today. Matthew Goode has been a favorite of mine since his performance in Chasing Liberty with Mandy Moore. Amy Adams was new to me. Both leads were outstanding in this film. I am 58 and single, an old softy who always looks for a good "chick flick" and this one is a beaut. I don't want to give away anything. Just see it. You will love the interplay between Amy and Matthew. Theirs is a very sweet romance that builds ever so slowly. For laughs, there are pratfalls and other silliness (that's a good thing). The supporting characters are also funny and charming. The Irish countryside is gorgeous. On the way out, I heard a man behind me tell his wife "That was a good movie. I'd see it again." So would I. Definitely!

Most fun I've had at a theater in quite a while

Author: StarDragyn from USA
8 January 2010

I just got back from the theater under an hour ago, and am still in a good mood after having watched this. Some romantic comedies are more comedy than romance, or more romance than comedy, but this one blends the two into something especially delightful. I left the theater with more of a bounce in my step and a wide smile on my face, despite having had a not so great day.

It's not perfectly original--there were parts where I was able to say ahead of time precisely what was going to happen next--but it is not entirely formulaic, either. And there is something comfortable about the familiar, especially if it is done slightly different.

Matthew Goode surprised me in his role, and there the originality is quite refreshing. I hadn't realized exactly how limited of roles I am used to seeing the typical "rom-com" male fit into, until he kept breaking my expectations. And I like how real Amy Adams is: no harsh looking clavicle bones sticking out, minimal makeup, and her face hasn't been pinched and pulled into a tight canvas.

The Irish scenes are gorgeous, and the accents entertaining. And, I don't know if there was anyone else who was pleased, but I was ecstatic at this proof of a great romantic comedy kept within a PG rating. No embarrassing scenes to make mixed company awkward; no offensive profanity. It IS PG, of course, so don't expect "Little Mermaid" standards, but it was still incredibly clean for the genre. I have little brothers aged 7 and 9 (who I'm very protective of), and I would not have felt embarrassed to allow them to watch this.

Overall, a great show for the genre. The best I've seen in a long time. Not perfect, but if you're in it for entertainment and a feel-good story, rather than as a movie critic, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Leap Year: nice romantic comedy

Author: MovieZoo from United States
8 January 2010

Anna (Amy Adams) - busy, dedicated, talented, goal oriented with one track mind on life matters. Has "what she wants and not what she needs".

Jeremy (Adam Scott) - accomplished cardiologist with no need to be concerned. Has what he wants and not sure what he needs. Loves himself and thinks everyone else does, too.

Declan (Matthew Goode) - very much a Hugh Jackman "coulda-been", content with what he has and thinks he needs nothing, Luck 'o the Irish did nothing for him but he doesn't believe in luck anyway.

As Anna herself put it, she has "what she wants but not what she needs". Since becoming an accomplished "Stager", decorating homes to display in hopes of selling, she happily puts herself on display, knowing exactly what it takes. We see her first known personal disappointment when she expects her boyfriend, Jeremy, to propose. He is so comfortable with her company, earrings are the obvious gift to surprise his girlfriend of 4 years, and not an engagement ring. She is further disappointed when he immediately has to leave the country temporarily. Being the woman she is, she spends no time with self pity but decides it's time to go to Dublin and propose to him as Leap Year permits.

Leap Year is an excellent romantic comedy. I was reminded of Doris Day and Audrey Hepburn comedies. Nothing hilarious, Amy really has wonderful physical comedic skills but still allows her charm to come across and make me smile. While the movie gets a little clumsy, nothing is bad enough to keep me from appreciating her. Her chemistry with Matthew Goode played well. He was fun to watch as the Irish he-man who lives a casual life with no expectations and no concern for others'. But then along comes Anna, and their one-track lives intertwine and soon the future becomes less clear. Anna and Declan travel to Dublin finding strangers and situations that force them to examine life and its meaning, or lack thereof. A forked road appears and we find both now have reason to question a future with or without each other.

Please don't expect hilarity. Sit down, get comfy, and admire a good, simple love story. It's what we all need.

7 of 10

Romantic Comedy

Author: doczol-2 from United States
5 January 2010

I had a chance to see an advance showing, and I found it to be quite enjoyable. But for me, Amy Adams can do no wrong. She lights up the screen in every scene, whether in a drama such as "Doubt," or a lighter story, as in "Julie & Julia." Her character, Anna, is sweet and vulnerable, but self-reliant when she has to be. The male actors support Ms Adams admirably and the pace never lags, thanks to competent direction of Anand Tucker. The Irish countryside is spectacular. The story is a variation on an old theme, but it is retold in movies because it is a good one. This is a fine date movie, but enjoyable as well for those of us who fondly remember the sometimes funny, sometimes painful quest for a mate.

Delightfully innocent and sweet

Author: modland
27 June 2010

I absolutely adored this movie. So much so that I watched it 6 times within one week. Not because it's anything amazing or Oscar-worthy. Don't expect anything completely awe- inspiring, complex, or brilliant. It's just a simple love story. And what I really appreciate about this movie is how innocent and lighthearted it is. Kind of a breath of fresh, romantic air. Adams and Goode have amazing chemistry and perform their personalities to a T. It was really fun to watch the steady but stubborn transformation of their relationship throughout the movie. If you're a little bored by the acting in the very beginning, don't give up on it... It gets better! And it's even better the second time around.

Always Kiss Like It Is the First Time and the Last Time

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
9 July 2010

The uptight stager Anna Brady (Amy Adams) from Boston is a planner that stages apartments for Realtors. Anna has been dating the cardiologist Jeremy (Adam Scott) for four years and they are buying a high standard apartment in Davenport together. Anna expects Jeremy to propose her in a dinner but he gives a pair of rings to her instead and travels to Dublin for a congress. Anna decides to meet him in Dublin on the February 29th and propose him in accordance with an old Irish folklore tradition from the Fifth Century of leap-year proposals by women. However, her airplane is forced to land in Wales due to bad weather and she is not able to find a connection since the Dublin airport is closed. She decides to travel in a supply vessel but she is forced to disembark in Dingle due to a storm. Anna walks to the only restaurant and inn of the area and she hires the cynical and sarcastic owner Declan (Matthew Goode) to drive her to Dublin. Declan accepts to drive her since he needs money to quit his debts and along their journey they have many incidents. But they fall in love for each other but when they finally arrive in Dublin, Jeremy proposes Anna.

"Leap Year" is a delightful and innocent romantic comedy. The sweet and gorgeous Amy Adams shines in every scene and Matthew Goode shows a perfect chemistry with her. The plot is predictable but I laughed a lot with the funny situations along the journey of Anna to arrive in Dublin. I know that there are bitter viewers that do not enjoy this type of film that will never be nominated to any award. But I loved "Leap Year" with the lovely Amy Adams and the awesome landscapes of Ireland. My suggestion: invite your wife, fiancée or girlfriend; enjoy this adorable film; and always kiss her like it was the first time and the last time. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Casa Comigo?" ("Marry Me?")

Romantic Comedy in the Classic Mold

Author: kevncarlin from United States
9 January 2010

It has been years since my wife and I have seen a new romantic comedy that did not offend or annoy us with some element or another. Even our favorite current director in the genre, Richard Curtis, slips in a bit of unnecessary Chaucerian vulgarity. At his best, it redeems itself, but it seems a fixation (artistic or commercial, I wonder?).

This comedy could have been directed by Frank Capra. It is rooted, it is humanistic, and it is earnestly funny in spots.

She (played by Amy Adams) is an American career woman who has responded to her father's (played by John Lithgow) financial misadventures by forging a life of success and security. He is a cardiac specialist who likes to consult on surgeries from the dinner date by IM and share the pictures at the table. The other he is a cranky Irish tavern owner on the brink of ruin conducting her to Dublin after her own travel misadventure because he needs the money to stave off ruin.

Ireland serves as the fairyland where, at the end of a long overcompensation for her father's flibbertigibbet ways, she finds her total control solution also has unfortunate limitations.

Excellent work.

Biggest load of vomit inducing nonsense I've ever seen!

Author: KingBrianoftheLeprechauns from United Kingdom
13 October 2010

Where do I start?? Oh yes, why do Americans always portray ALL Irish people as backward, smelly, Guinness guzzling, tractor driving, mumbling smelly farmers that wear tweed hats and knitted jumpers. Oh yes... and the mobile phone invention hasn't reached Ireland yet either by all accounts. Public transport is a bit of a disaster too you know! And why would the 'cool Irish guy' EVER go for an annoying, materialistic, American girl? Why does that always happen in these stupid films too? This film is so disgustingly predictable. I do like the occasional 'Rom Com' (I hate that word!) but this is dire, diabolical drivel at it's best! The groaning continued long after the film ended. And the thing that gets me....most people on this website loved it. Dear God...

way better than your average romantic comedy

Author: ilostthenestegg from United States
5 January 2010

I saw Leap Year at a screening before the holidays, and found it much more "enchanting" than the typical romantic comedy. The story line is simple - basically, it is "It Happened One Night" in Ireland: apartment "stager" Amy Adams, tired of waiting for her uptight, longtime boyfriend to propose, decides to meet him on business in Dublin on Leap Day when tradition states that a man must accept a woman's proposal. Weather forces her to be diverted, first to Wales and then to the west coast of Ireland, she has to be driven to Dublin by and disgruntled bitter local.

But while the story is straight-ahead, the movie is extremely charming due to the terrific chemistry in between Amy Adams and Matthew Good. Whereas other romantic comedies pander to the lowest common denominator with base humor, this one feels much more like "4 Weddings and a Funeral" or "Local Hero." The characters seem simple at first, but we see the depth beyond them as the movie goes on. The comedy is always sharp, and special kudos to the actors who play the superstitious friends of Matthew Good, but this movie never forces in the pratfalls and dumb jokes that we see in your typical romantic comedy movie. And when there a bigger laughs (a scene at a wedding is particularly funny), the movie delivers.

There are a couple of slow spots, especially at the very beginning, but the last 20 minutes are funny, touching and real. I think it is a very good movie for our times right now, with a message that rebukes control and superficiality and all the trappings of what most of feel makes for a successful life. And our audience was with it throughout, and applauded at the end.

A beautiful romantic comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
1 May 2010

This film is about an American woman who decides to fly to Ireland to surprise her boyfriend, and to propose to him because an Irish tradition allows it.

"Leap Year" is a predictable romantic comedy that captures female psychology well. I can see women loving this film so much because it is so romantic and full of love. Amy Adams acts well in her role, she portrays her desire to be married so well that even by looking at her face, you know she wants to get a proposal so much.

"Leap Year" showcases amazing Irish scenery, with all the right colours, composition and saturation. I am also impressed by the technical side of it, as the filmmakers paid a lot of details into location scouting, set decoration and composing a scene. It makes "Leap Year" visually so pleasing to watch.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]